PDA

View Full Version : SAIT IT Major questions

tr4cti0n
09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
I will be attending sait next week and I'm taking the IT program. On the first semester, we have 5 different courses that will teach us the different facilities in IT (Computer Systems, Software Development, Networking, Telecom) but on our second semester we have to choose one of those majors to study. Currently I am registered for the Computer Systems Major for my second semester but now I'm kind of battling between Computer Systems and Software Development. I sort of know what the two majors are like, Computer Systems will be more of the IT Security side and the software development will be towards programming and making applications (please correct me if I am wrong) but I was wondering if anyone here can help me explain these two courses specifically (Job path, What I will be learning/doing, earnings etc.)
thanks

Mibz
09-11-2009, 10:32 AM
SD is coding, development, etc. Entry level jobs will include you sitting down and hammering out Java, PHP or .NET for 8 hours. If you like coding but don't like the prospect of a CS degree then you'll do fine. You'll find out very quickly in the 1st semester Java course whether or not coding is your thing.

CS is the popular remedial stream. When you graduate you'll have the skills necessary to get your A+ and work help desk for a few years. You do get a decent Windows/x86 security background but 99% of the students I saw go through it didn't understand what they were looking at. You can ask Vagabond142 about his experience in CS :P

NS is obviously networking. You can write your CCNA after first year and CCNP after second year. You can probably excel at any entry level networking position depending on your work ethic. Everybody I know who got a job after graduation is enjoying themselves, myself included.

TS is like NS but with a voice and ISP focus. Very few people went through it, I think their graduating class in June was 9 people. I know one guy is a cable technician, dunno about anybody else.

Alterac
09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
If you have a strong background in networking, and take the TS course, the demand for Telecom guys that understand networking is HUGE.

These crossover guys are needed all the time, as most the Telco guys are 50+ and dont know an IP from some TP.

Convergence and IP / Telephony is going to stay for a long time, it might be a good time to decide if you like that route.

Mibz
09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
If you have a strong background in networking, and take the TS course, the demand for Telecom guys that understand networking is HUGE.

These crossover guys are needed all the time, as most the Telco guys are 50+ and dont know an IP from some TP.

Convergence and IP / Telephony is going to stay for a long time, it might be a good time to decide if you like that route. If convergence in an office is the goal then the NS stream is all you need. They do a VoIP course which covers basically everything you need to do a VoIP installation on the customer side of the demarcation point using both Asterisk and Cisco CME as well as voice (digital and analog) theory. If you plan on doing anything towards the provider side then TS is definitely for you.