PDA

View Full Version : software to log ascii character strings from serial port?

nonlinear
09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi,

I am trying to attach a lab instrument to a computer via a serial port. the instrument sends out an ascii character string, and I need get or write some software to listen for the string, read it and log parts of it. does anyone know what the easiest way to do this would be. we just want to log the values into excel, if possible.

thanks a mil:thumbsup:

GoChris
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
well...with .net you can add a serial port control and wire that up pretty easily.

there is some software out there that will take input from a serial port and spit it into whatever app is up and running as if it was typed via the keyboard. don't recall the name.

nonlinear
09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
hey, thanks so much for the help. i'm not at all familiar with .net. can you guide me towards a tutorial or something that outlines how to do that?

the second app you mention sounds like it might be easier to use... i'll try and google for that. let me know if you happen to remember the name

Grogador
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Easiest? Hyperterminal, open COM1, Save, Import to Excel... depending how much filtering you need to do. Otherwise, what programming languages are you comfortable with?

nonlinear
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
ok i will have to see if this computer has hypertreminal on it.

i did a google search and it seems there are a ton of serial port logging apps (http://www.google.ca/search?q=serial+port+log&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) so I guess i'll see if there are any free ones.

my programming is shit. i know visual basic lol.

dr_jared88
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
There's always putty. It's free and can save log files. You'll have to filter out what you don't need after.

Grogador
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I'd hope so, Hyperterminal comes with Windows... START.. Progs.. Accessories.. Comms.. you gotta enter any areacode, hit ok for location, then open your COM port. Once it's coming through, do Transfer... Capture Text...

http://www.google.ca/search?q=serial+port+logging more loggers, less splitters/virtual ports/etc :)