PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather vs Marquez

mushi_mushi
09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I know there's some boxing fans on this forum, just wanted to get peoples take on this fight. Ive never really been a fan of Floyd, his demeanor and cockiness just rub me the wrong way, despite all that he is one hell of a boxer. I dont think he ranks on the list of the all time greats but he has no losses on his record. Even though he is undefeated I think to some extent Floyd fights safe fights he knows he can win.

I havnt seen many of Marquez's fights, but I have seen his wars with Pacman and I was impressed. Like many other Mexican greats Marquez has that never say die attitude. Marquez is a good counter puncher that likes to go to the body which may work to his benefit considering Floyd a short time ago injured one of his ribs in training camp.

My thoughts on the fight:

As good as Marquez is I don't see him being able to outbox Floyd who in my opinion is the the technically better boxer. Floyd also has the faster hands as well as the weight and strength advantage. This fight is just supposed to be a warm up for Pacman, but in a fight anything can happen, it only takes one punch. Floyd by UD.

Those interested in the fight can also check out the 24/7 series on HBO.

Mayweather vs Marquez 24/7 Episode 1

3jjPy98TGP8

mushi_mushi
09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Episode 2 of Mayweather vs Marquez

Part 1/3

O3o8vpn8-a0

Part 2/3

0osduRtHbVc

Part 3/3

FbIi0lxKpdM

DonJuan
09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Which episode is the one where Marquez drinks urine? :barf:

mushi_mushi
09-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
Which episode is the one where Marquez drinks urine? :barf:

Episode 2 part 3/3 at about the ~40 second mark. Actually alot of pro fighter in boxing/mma used to or still do this. I dont know much about the human body, but im not sure why you cant just take vitamins.

dubol
09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Episode 3 is out. Hilarious stuff at the beginning.

bubbley
09-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Mayweather gonna whoop this guys ass. Makin a nice bet but i bet the odds gonna suck.

Weapon_R
09-14-2009, 01:09 PM
I saw Mayweather in Vegas...in the Tommy Hilfiger store at the Premium Outlet :rofl:

I didn't think a cocky guy like that would be caught dead at the outlet!

beyondpinoy
09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
im looking forward to this fight...... but by the looks of it, mayweather looks to be wayyyy faster then marquez... i think mayweather will take him..

Marsh
09-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Mayweather will win i think for sure, but i dont know how you can't consider him a all time great though. He is a bit annoying outside of the ring but inside of the ring he is too brilliant and can just outbox any one and can adjust to any fighters style, thats why he is one of the best and thats what makes him so unique. Plus he has the speed and strength(in this case) to beat marquez...i think he will win

JordanEG6
09-15-2009, 08:58 AM
It's a toss up. If any of the previous matches are any indication, I think Marquez will win. But I hope Mayweather takes it so he can take a massive L against Pacquaio after he beats Cotto. :rofl: :rofl:

Marsh
09-15-2009, 10:30 AM
I just want mayweather to win so it will be good hype for a pacman/mayweather bout haha

gerrycurl21
09-15-2009, 10:53 AM
http://cdn.cagepotato.com/www/sites/default/files/mayweather-marquez-1.jpg

This image foresees a Marquez victory

DENZILDON
09-15-2009, 10:57 AM
^^^^:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mushi_mushi
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I dont think that Mayweather is a bad person, I give him props for having the right mindset to get back together with his dad after the stuff they've been through, I just could do without his arrogance. Yes he's a good boxer, probably one of the best in the world, but in my opinion his skills and record dont measure up with the all time greats (Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Ali etc) I only bring this up because according to Mayweather and those around him, he is the best ever.

I thought the remarks (though im sure they're not meant to be taken personally) about Marquez being a pee pee taster were inappropriate specially when he told his kids he's fighting "pee pee mouth" and they reciprocated. I thought it was distasteful because Marquez is also a father. Like other people I find the idea of drinking urine repulsive, but Marquez gets a pat on the back for taking all legal steps to gain an advantage, specially when many high profile fighters have been caught cheating. (Margarito with the plaster glove, Shane Mosley with doping)

I think Mayweather probably will outbox his opponent to a decision but I dont see Marquez quitting like Oscar, nor do I see Marquez brawling it out like Hatton. In terms of physical attributes I dont see Marquez having any advantage in size, strength or speed, but he does have ample amount of heart, determination and a no quit mentality that could possibly give Floyd his first taste of defeat, in my mind that's what makes this fight an exciting one. If Floyd wins though I cant say I would be disappointed either as I would expect a war between him and the winner of Cotto/Pacquiao.

IntegraG2
09-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Mayweather is such a jackass. Did anyone read up on the heated discussion between Dana White and Gayweather?

Floyd made a racist remark about how all blacks and hispanics are at the top in boxing and that all the whites go to fight in the UFC cause they cant make it in boxing. :banghead:

Mayweather Quote: "In boxing, we know who's dominating. Black fighters and Hispanic fighers is dominating in this sport. And this is not a racial statement but there's no white fighters in boxing that's dominating, so they had to go to something else and start something new."

http://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62791

mushi_mushi
09-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by IntegraG2

Mayweather Quote: "In boxing, we know who's dominating. Black fighters and Hispanic fighers is dominating in this sport. And this is not a racial statement but there's no white fighters in boxing that's dominating, so they had to go to something else and start something new."

I agree with what Mayweather said but disagree with the way he chose to say it. I think boxing IS dominated by alot of black and hispanic athletes but that doesn't mean that the people who participate in MMA are any less talented than those who participate in boxing simply because of the fact that their white. I think generalizations can be made about some things in life without being racist, a generalization applies most items within a given set, but not all.

If you were given a bag of marbles and told to pick one out of the bag, assuming there were 5 black marbles in a bag and one white, chances are your pulling out a black marble. You could pick out a white marble but chances are its going to be black. In boxing alot of the top tier fighters are black or hispanic but you still have your Vitali Klitchko's and your Joe Calzaghe, who the last time I checked are white.

The truth of the matter is if any top MMA fighter stepped into a boxing ring with Floyd (assuming they were in the same weight class), they would get murdered. Same thing if Floyd stepped into the ring/cage with a skilled MMA artist, this isnt something we didnt already know. Floyd keeps bringing up how Ray Mercer brutalized an MMA champ in Big Tim, but he neglects how the same pro boxer was submitted by Kimbo Slice in a relatively short time.

The reason you may have alot of top tier talent in a given sport with a similar ethnic background has nothing to do with their skin color or race and has everything to do with their backgrounds and personal passions. Look at boxing as an example, the reason you dont have any top level black fighters at HW is because they are playing basketball or football. Certain sports are popular in certain countries, when you think Canada, you might think Hockey, Brazil, maybe soccer. The reason that's the case is how many people in Canada care about boxing? Now how many of them care about hockey? Look at hockey 15 years ago, how many black faces can you remember?

Alot of people in boxing have been hypocritical of MMA as just a bunch of bar brawlers with no talent, I think such views are highly misguided, I think actually MMA is a harder sport because there are more ways to lose and no 10 count every time you get knocked down on your ass.

turbotrip
09-15-2009, 11:17 PM
i think mayweather should have this one; marquez needs to quit drinkin that piss

mushi_mushi
09-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
i think mayweather should have this one; marquez needs to quit drinkin that piss

To be the best you have to beat the best. To beat the best you have to be a golden champion. To be a golden champ you have to eat and drink like a golden champion, piss its what for dinner. At least now if Marquez beats Floyd you'll know the secret of his success.

mushi_mushi
09-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Came accross this while looking at 24/7, found it mildly entertaining so thought I'd put it up here.

The official Mayweather-Marquez 24/7 drinking game

By Eric Raskin

Buzz up!

As Ricky Hatton’s fans can tell you, boxing and beverage are a perfect combination. With the aid of a couple of six-packs, that “Hatton Wonderland” song sounds like “Eleanor Rigby,” ugly clinching looks like clever infighting, and the pain of a quick knockout loss is so dulled that you joyously sing “Hatton Wonderland” after the fight anyway. Thank God for alcohol.

I happen not to be a big drinker; it’s hard enough for me to stay awake for fights that start after 11:30 p.m. on the east coast when I don’t have any depressants in my system. But I can appreciate that a great many fight fans enjoy knocking back a cold one as they watch fighters get knocked cold on their back. And what better way to drink than with the help of a drinking game?

Last night, the latest edition of HBO’s 24/7, focusing on the upcoming Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Juan Manuel Marquez fight, premiered. There are still three episodes left before fight night, so that means plenty of opportunities to get your drink on. So, please designate a driver, keep the beer-before-liquor rule straight and enjoy THE RING’s official Mayweather-Marquez 24/7 Drinking Game:

• Drink a shot of tequila every time a Marquez family member speaks Spanish and subtitles appear on the screen.

• Drink three shots of tequila every time a Mayweather family member speaks English and subtitles appear on the screen.

• Drink heavily whenever Mayweather is shown risking a second fight-postponing injury by roller skating, either in public or in his home. (Of course, HBO Pay-Per-View executives, Golden Boy Promotions executives and everyone else financially invested in the fight don’t need this drinking game to tell them to hit the bottle for that.)

• Pour one out for Nat Fleischer anytime a member of Team Marquez is shown wearing a T-shirt with THE RING logo.

• Make a cheesy, clichéd toast and then take a sip anytime Marquez says something that sounds like a quote straight out of a motivational poster with a picture of an eagle soaring or a wild elephant reaching for a high branch. (Examples: “Without risk, there is no gain,” “Each person writes his own story.”)

• Fill your mouth with beer, then spit out the beer in disbelief each time the 24/7 narrator twists the truth to fit the show’s purposes. (Example: Mayweather’s 2007 win over Oscar De La Hoya is referred to as “decisive” to push the agenda that Mayweather retired with nothing to prove.)

• Drink a glass of milk every time Tommy Gallagher shows a nipple. (Oops, wrong boxing-reality-show drinking game. Sorry ‘bout that.)

• Drink once if Mayweather refers to himself in the first-person, three times if he refers to himself in the third-person and finish every drink in the house if he starts referring to himself in the second-person.

• Drink an Amaretto Sour but refer to it as an “Armadillo Sour” every time Roger Mayweather intends to say that his nephew misses the limelight but refers to it as the “lamplight.”

• Drink out of a whiskey bottle inside of a paper bag if you’re buying the notion of Floyd Mayweather Jr. as a humanitarian who gives back to the community regardless of whether the 24/7 cameras are around.

• Drink the cheapest liquor you can find if you resent Mayweather for showing off his house and bragging about how everything in it is “paid for” even though there are reports that he owes the IRS $6-million and 10 percent of the people watching the show are unemployed.

• Drink a dirty martini every time Nacho Beristain drops a Spanish F-bomb.

• Drink frothy milk that ends up on your upper lip if, in future episodes, the 24/7 crew catches Beristain brushing Just For Men into his jarringly dark moustache.

• Order a Screaming Viking from Woody Boyd every time Mayweather insists his return isn’t about money at all.

• Drink a “Prison Bitch” (yes, that’s a real drink) every time a newspaper headline is shown suggesting a Mayweather is in trouble with the law.

• Drink a kiddie juice box every time Marquez’s daughter takes a cheap shot at her brother and clocks him in the back of the neck after they blow out the candles on Daddy’s cake. Drink again if you wonder why Marquez still hasn’t earned enough money to afford a cake knife.

• Drink a White Russian if, on next week’s episode, Marquez is training in the mountains, runs to the top of the highest peak he can find and yells, “Dragooooo!” Drink another one if, at some point in the same episode, Roger Mayweather gets a sassy robot to deliver him drinks.

• Drink the world’s most pointless drink, O’Doul’s, whenever the narrator ruins Mayweather’s pointless plan to keep the 144-pound weight limit for this fight a secret.

• Chug whatever’s left in your mug when an episode ends with a fighter landing a punch on a hand pad or speed bag and then staring confidently into the camera.

• Take a sip every time Mayweather’s rebuilt relationship with his dad makes you want to pick up the phone and call your dad – and thank him for not being Floyd Mayweather Sr.

turbotrip
09-16-2009, 01:22 AM
^ :rofl: :rofl: sounds like a great time

JordanEG6
09-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by IntegraG2
Mayweather is such a jackass. Did anyone read up on the heated discussion between Dana White and Gayweather?

Floyd made a racist remark about how all blacks and hispanics are at the top in boxing and that all the whites go to fight in the UFC cause they cant make it in boxing. :banghead:

http://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62791

Not to mention Mayweather's lame excuses not to fight Pacquaio.

jus_sum_guy
09-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Anybody have a list of places showing the fight?

banned3x
09-20-2009, 12:46 AM
so who saw this? any good worth dl?

Playero
09-20-2009, 01:05 AM
mayweather won by decision, lasted 12 rounds. Average fight in my opinion.

DENZILDON
09-20-2009, 01:14 AM
It's was a boring fight. Only thing exciting was the fight of words after the fight!

JordanEG6
09-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Boring and one-sided.
NEXT.

I liked the beef between Shane Mosley and Mayweather though haha.

signature7
09-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Didn't want to make a whole new thread about this. Does anyone know where I can get boxing shirts? Specifically, Manny Pacquiao Shirts by Nike?

top_speed
09-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Playero
mayweather won by decision, lasted 12 rounds. Average fight in my opinion.
so much for marquez drinking his piss:rofl:

JEFFRIX
09-22-2009, 09:18 PM
waiting for 89coupe to respond on this.. then reverse bet FTW!

DENZILDON
09-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by signature7
Didn't want to make a whole new thread about this. Does anyone know where I can get boxing shirts? Specifically, Manny Pacquiao Shirts by Nike?

You can't find that here in Calgary. Maybe in L.A. but I'm pretty sure that all the stores have been horded by Flips already. Even the Nike stores in Manila are all sold out.

Best bet is to get someone from Manila to buy it for you before the next pacman fight. Or just get the cheap manny shirts sold at every store in Manila. :D Some of them are nice!

Mar
09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I caught this fight at Schank's north, my friend was volunteering for the ARF fundraiser there that night. The fight was pretty lame, he had Marquez wobbly after 1.5 rounds but didn't manage to knock him out in 12, WTF? Just sit him down already.

eg_eric
09-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Did anyone else see the post-fight interview by Max Kellerman? HORRIBLE. It was funny how Mayweather told him he talks too much at the end.

TKRIS
09-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Of course Mayweather was talking shit about MMA again: It's the only way he's got left of drawing any attention to himself in order to hype his fights.
The boxing sites all seem to be laughing at Iole's claim that HBO did close to 1 million buys. Everybody is estimating less than 500,000. They didn't even sell out the live gate, ffs.

The end is nigh for Floyd.
He's apparently hemorrhaging money on account of being a complete fucking retard, and he can't outsell one of the weakest UFC cards of the year...

Floyd can't draw anymore, and crazy lopsided fights like this are destroying anything he's got left. People have been suckered too many times...

beyondpinoy
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
yeah it was a pretty boring fight, i downloaded it over the weekend....

this is the first time ive seen mayweather fight in my life, he's not exciting like manny is, altho his boxing skills is amazing... but entertainment wize, it was boring... no wonder mayweather took hatton and delahoya to 12 rounds... cuz all he does is outbox you, instead of trying to knock you out.....

bmeier
09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy
yeah it was a pretty boring fight, i downloaded it over the weekend....

this is the first time ive seen mayweather fight in my life, he's not exciting like manny is, altho his boxing skills is amazing... but entertainment wize, it was boring... no wonder mayweather took hatton and delahoya to 12 rounds... cuz all he does is outbox you, instead of trying to knock you out.....

mayweather stopped hatton in the 10th round via TKO

beyondpinoy
09-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by bmeier

mayweather stopped hatton in the 10th round via TKO

oh really? my bad, i was under the impression he was knocked down but still went the full 12 rounds...

bmeier
09-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy

oh really? my bad, i was under the impression he was knocked down but still went the full 12 rounds...

Nope, out of 40 wins he won by knockout 25 times. But really there is no reason for him to risk fighting like that since he is probably the best defender/counter puncher in boxing. I would like to see him fight pacman but it probably wont happen

brownchild
09-23-2009, 07:22 PM
wont be long till Floyd beats Pac-man, he wants the 8 figure numbers, till he doesnt get that he wont fight thats just how he is. btw I dont think anyone has a training regime even close to Mayweathers, the mans naturally talented and he never stops training to hone his skills even more. I think he'll fight Mosley before he beats on Pacman, hes like another Hatton.