PDA

View Full Version : SRS light...please help!

carzcraz
11-10-2003, 09:54 PM
I had some racing seats installed in a 2002 Honda Civic Si-G which required me to disconnect the airbag/seatbelt switch under the factory Civic seats.

Recently, the stock seats were once again installed back into the car with the airbag/seatbelt switches reconnected.

However, the SRS light on the dash is still on and according to the owner's manual, this was dangerous as the airbag might deploy prematurely or not deploy at all during an accident.

Does anybody know if it is in fact dangerous to have the SRS light on and does anybody know how to get rid of it?

KoukiS14
11-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Well if that light doesnt turn off in a week or so you may have to go back to dealer. Sometimes the ecu requires many starts to confirm the systems are in check. This was the case with my check engine light that came on when i disconnected a sensor, i then reattached that sensor and the light turned off in a week or so. Perhaps this is the same type of situation?

TegLover
11-10-2003, 10:33 PM
you gotta reset it

carzcraz
11-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Yep, the light has been on for over 1 week now. Is the only way I can reset it done at the dealers?

How much do they charge for resetting

thanks in advance

speedracer
11-10-2003, 10:54 PM
No, Check Engine and SRS are different.

For your Civic the SRS requires a reset by the dealer.
(yes, you could reset it yourself but it does come with a risk)

The SRS Light risk is that it's disabled should you require assistance :(

carzcraz
11-10-2003, 11:09 PM
thanks for all the info. I'll give the dealer a call. Hope it won't cost too much

link785
11-10-2003, 11:50 PM
By the way, disabling a safety device on your car isn't a good idea, as insurances won't cover you in an accident should you get injured, whether the accident is your fault or not.

carzcraz
11-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Well yeah I know that disabling a safety device isn't good but how else would you install racing seats into a car? We tried removing the switches from under the stock seats and they wouldn't come off. Otherwise, I wouldn't have tampered with them in the first place.

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by carzcraz
Well yeah I know that disabling a safety device isn't good but how else would you install racing seats into a car? We tried removing the switches from under the stock seats and they wouldn't come off. Otherwise, I wouldn't have tampered with them in the first place. A lot of cars you have to add a resistor to them so they continue reading properly and it won't trip the SRS light. If you really want to get rid of it for awhile, electrical tape works excellent although it won't fix the problem, only hide it ;)