PDA

View Full Version : sedation dentistry q?

AndyL
09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Trying to understand something here...

Sedation dentistry - just how sedated are you when they're doing the work?

Not asking about after effects etc - but what your actual level of consciousness is at the time - under the meds?

Are we talking - able to have a normal conversation, able to think for ones self? or are you pretty much a zombie that's just doing as told with basic motor skills/abilities?

Tnx

AudiPWR
09-11-2009, 10:29 PM
It depends what kind of sedation.
There are many different kinds.
Depending on what you are given you can either have no recollection of the incidents.
Once again it depends what they are sedating you with.
Nitrous oxide, sure that's fine, you'll be concious.
But general anesthesia or w/e will knock you out where you don't remember anything over the course of 4 or so hours..

AndyL
09-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Hydroxozine + triazolam + NOx

Question isn't will i remember - I know I don't remember... Question really is - what was my level of consciousness - was I able to form clear thoughts, give clear directives etc etc etc

bignerd
09-13-2009, 12:16 AM
I have to take Xanax for my dental appointments after a slow progression of becoming immune to freezing (I now have to have a small hole drilled in the bone of my jaw and the freezing injected directly into my bone)-hence my anxiety at dental appointments.

I take 2mgs before my appointments-you are awake and can ask questions and follow directions. You may not make exact sense when you talk but you are pretty coherent(like you may ask something twice because you forgot you already asked), just really relaxed(you would definitley know if someone was doing something inappropriate to you and be able to react-it would be like being a little drunk or high). Then someone drives me home and I sleep for about the 5 hours. When I wake up I only remember about half the day. This is not considered sleep dentistry and I would say not really zombie-ish. When I take only 1mg I remember more of the day.

I took a taxi home once when no one could pick me up-I made it home, don't remember how much it cost, how much I paid or tipped or how I got the change I got-but I was coherent enough to get a cab, give them my address, stay awake, pay the cabbie, get in the house, lock the door etc...

Other people I know that have been asleep take the pills(not sure what they are but she said there were three of them) and they can be roused from their sleep if they need to be moved or if the dentist needs to ask them something etc... but they fall back asleep. One girl I know also blurted out Yes Big Daddy" to her dentist while half asleep when he told her they were ready to start working haha, she wanted to take her clothes off when her boyfriend picked her up, she didn't make sense when she talked after the appointment, pretty out of it. This sounds more zobie.