PDA

View Full Version : So i saw a skyline today!...

Speed_Dreams
11-10-2003, 09:55 PM
So i was driving to work like every other day , every other day i would just merge onto bow trail going downtown and I look a couple cars ahead of me and i see some weird taillights. Well i know that the '03 impalas have a "sport appereance package" that makes the taillights look like skyline lights. So i think nothing of it....and i pull up beside the guy and hes on the wrong side and i look over and its an old skyline like a 87 or so GTR i think...it had a little badge on the front fender. but it was a Skyline...maybe an R31??? i dunno...nice car. very clean 2 he obviously hasen't been driving it that much. anyways just thoguth i would share my story

illeagle
11-10-2003, 10:01 PM
R30, it was for sale in the auto trader last winter, it's Naturaly aspirated, I think it was silver, can't remember that far back

rage2
11-10-2003, 10:10 PM
There are 2 R31's rolling around town :).

KoukiS14
11-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Sounds like a ricer to me if he had on a GTR badge. GTR wasnt a name plate used when those cars were made.

Speed_Dreams
11-10-2003, 11:36 PM
It was either a GTR or just a GT badge
and it was black as far as i can remember its been a long day but it was a sweetcar. How much were they going for?

rage2
11-10-2003, 11:38 PM
The last one sold for around 9k I think.

88CRX
11-10-2003, 11:43 PM
wtf.... i never see any of these cars :banghead: are they all up north or what?

ACS-e36
11-10-2003, 11:53 PM
im up north and i havent seen any

INITIALD
11-11-2003, 01:23 AM
Theres a 88 skyline in oakridge, its siiick.:)

rage2
11-11-2003, 01:53 AM
The question is, who's gonna be the first to get a R32 skyline next year... :)

HK2NR
11-11-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Isn't there like 2 stored away?

Hash_man
11-11-2003, 03:47 AM
The question is, who's gonna be the first to get a R32 skyline next year...

Ummm... You?!

I wish I could, but definately cant afford one.

Gondi Stylez
11-11-2003, 03:57 AM

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: hahahaha umm i dunno would be grrrrrrrreat to see!! but damnnnn i wanna see these r31!!:drool:

but r34's!! :eek: :hitit:

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2003, 08:43 AM
For the price people are paying for crappy brand new cars the mid 15-20K price range for an r32 is dirt cheap

hampstor
11-11-2003, 12:22 PM

I was originally going to make an honest attempt to be one of the first few, but then I decided I'd rather save the money to spend on my 'wife' and buy us a big house.

Now that I'm single, I'm going to try to import it!!

rage2
11-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
Ummm... You?!
haha I wish. My wife would kill me if I spent $20k on a 1989 car :).

AutodreamMarvin
11-11-2003, 01:01 PM
it would've been ME! but import concern wouldn't help me with trying to bring one over here. it was either their way(pay now, wait until november 2004, and not even get to see the car first) or nothing at all.

they said they're bringing a ca18det silvia over here this month, and the asking price is 9000.

Gondi Stylez
11-11-2003, 01:42 PM

haha I wish. My wife would kill me if I spent $20k on a 1989 car :).

hahahahahaha rage and the married life!! :whipped:

rage2
11-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by brbHPR
it would've been ME! but import concern wouldn't help me with trying to bring one over here. it was either their way(pay now, wait until november 2004, and not even get to see the car first) or nothing at all.
Seeing as the car won't be legal till August 2004, there's no way you can see the car first unless you fly to Japan :).

pinoyhero
11-11-2003, 04:18 PM
You gonna have to take a pic to get me and the others on this board to believe it.

rage2
11-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Legendboy test drove the car, it exists. Search the marketplace for skyline in the title, you'll find the car for sale here a few months ago.

ninspeed
11-11-2003, 06:31 PM

Seeing as the car won't be legal till August 2004, there's no way you can see the car first unless you fly to Japan :).
could you not import it and have it sitting in a garage till august?

Ashkente
11-11-2003, 06:43 PM
There was a white one sold about a year or so too. An 8x GSX-T I think?

rage2
11-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
Nope. It's not a licensing/registration issue, it wont be allowed into Canada at all until it's 15 years old.

BigYellowMonkey
11-11-2003, 09:16 PM
If it's coming in from Japan, then it has to be 15 years old. But there are early 90's skylines in california, among other places in the states. And you could bring one in from the states that's less than 15 years old. And the americans have no such restrictions on importing vehicles from japan.
Take a look on ebay... I saw a couple R32's and an R33 or two, as well as an R34 GTR. The R34 and at least one of the R33's were in japan, but there was at least one R33 or R32 from cali up for auction. And the prices were quite reasonable, I thought.
Just go to ebay.com (not .ca) and type in "nissan skyline", and sort by highest-priced first. The R34 (1999) is right at the top, for 68K-ish. :hitit: :love: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

-Biggie!

szw
11-11-2003, 09:35 PM
don't listen to him ^^^

rage2
11-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by BigYellowMonkey
But there are early 90's skylines in california, among other places in the states. And you could bring one in from the states that's less than 15 years old. And the americans have no such restrictions on importing vehicles from japan.
Sigh... you gotta get your facts straight. Search for my posts on import laws, I've explained this MANY times. But lemme explain yet again...

First off, Americans DO have restrictions on importing vehicles from Japan that are not designed for US market / meeting US standards. Motorex crash tested a bunch of R32/R33/R34 to get them certified, that's why they are the only ones that can certify those cars for US consumption (and why they cost so much). Meaning if you buy a GTR from Japan for the states, you can't register it unless u bring it to Motorex for modification and certification (about $20k).

Now, lets say you own one of these US legal GTR's. You can NOT bring them to canada because RIV only allows US cars into canada that :

a) are designed from the original manufacturer to be US vehicles (GTR is a JDM vehicle by original manufacturer)
b) meets their criteria in their list of allowable vehicles

So you can NOT bring a us legal GTR into Canada.

Get the facts straight dude, so you don't stop spreading false information.

Everything you wanna know about bringing a non Canadian spec car into canada : http://www.riv.ca

If it was that easy, I wouldn't have spent $80k on an AMG, nor would I have spent $50k building a 944.

BBMac
11-11-2003, 09:41 PM
you cannot import a car from the states that has been modified or brought there first that is newer than 15 years old. the states regulations allow businesses to modify cars to conform and although they conform they unfortunately cannot be brought into Canada. These cars are called "grey area" cars. there is only one way to get a car that is newer than 15 years old, this entails getting a letter of compliance from the japanese manufacturer stating that the car you are interested in was built to canadian standards. unfortunately while I was talking to an importation officer a while back he told me that there is about 99.9999% chance that you won't be able to get a letter of compliance. the manufacturers just don't care. Anyways if you are seriously interested in an r32 let me know as I have a business deal with an importer to recieve and modify various different jdm cars.

BBMac
11-11-2003, 09:43 PM
deregard my post I apparently didn't read the one above mine

rice_eater
11-11-2003, 10:24 PM
so exactly what do these things look like?

88CRX
11-12-2003, 12:00 AM

they said they're bringing a ca18det silvia over here this month, and the asking price is 9000.

:banghead: why do you say stupid things

SI-vic
11-12-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

:banghead: why do you say stupid things

whats so stupid about his post?!?
:dunno:

88CRX
11-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SI-vic

whats so stupid about his post?!?
:dunno:

hes crying cause import concern wont let him import a car thats not 15 years old and he want to see it first.... um ok :banghead: how about a test drive.

i've delt with these guys and they are awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

soon :D

izzoblitzo
11-12-2003, 08:49 AM

Sigh... you gotta get your facts straight. Search for my posts on import laws, I've explained this MANY times. But lemme explain yet again...

First off, Americans DO have restrictions on importing vehicles from Japan that are not designed for US market / meeting US standards. Motorex crash tested a bunch of R32/R33/R34 to get them certified, that's why they are the only ones that can certify those cars for US consumption (and why they cost so much). Meaning if you buy a GTR from Japan for the states, you can't register it unless u bring it to Motorex for modification and certification (about $20k).

Now, lets say you own one of these US legal GTR's. You can NOT bring them to canada because RIV only allows US cars into canada that :

a) are designed from the original manufacturer to be US vehicles (GTR is a JDM vehicle by original manufacturer)
b) meets their criteria in their list of allowable vehicles

So you can NOT bring a us legal GTR into Canada.

Get the facts straight dude, so you don't stop spreading false information.

Everything you wanna know about bringing a non Canadian spec car into canada : http://www.riv.ca

If it was that easy, I wouldn't have spent $80k on an AMG, nor would I have spent $50k building a 944.

hmm... good points indeedy. So if that's the case, then it puts all the rumors to rest that there are a couple skylines (like, wha, r33's and r34's) in Toronto and Vancouver? Theres always people saying theres people that own them in Vancouver.

rage2
11-12-2003, 09:22 AM
There are some in Toronto and Vancouver, but they are registered in the US.

redbaron303
11-13-2003, 04:46 PM

Now, as a representative of Import Concern, you do need to get some facts straight. I'm going to assume that you're the one I spoke with on the phone and the one that my partner was communicating with through e-mail.

It is not our way or the highway, we're very flexible until it comes to breaking import laws. When you break import laws it's not like a speeding ticket where you get to go pay a measily fine and no one really cares. The fines are hefty, we may be banned from importing any thing into Canada, and the person in customs who passed the car would most likely loose their job. IT is NOT worth the risk to bring illegal cars into the country.

You have the option of buying the Skyline you're looking at on our website, and having it stored for $90.00CAD until it becomes legal for import. Our pricing is simple... typically like any other business, when you purchase something you pay for it before you get it. And in this case you'll pay for the car and the storage and when it becomes legal the car will be here for you to drive away with and enjoy.

I'm sorry for any inconveniece, but I don't feel like having customs seize your car and cut it up and we loose our ability to bring these machines here. Again it's not worth the risk. When it's legal that is a whole different ball game, and we'll be eager to bring the car here and show our flexibility.

As for our Silvia, the ETA is around the middle of December. We're asking $8500.00obo (private sale, and includes out of province inspection). It's a low serial number silvia meaning it's one of the first Silvia's produced. It's CA18DET powered, and IMO is a clean looking car. All the JDM goodies and one of the Silvia motors already inplace w/ no swapping necessary. Not a bad deal IMO. I would pick it up, if the person buying my 300zx didn't mess up and not pay me for the car :(

I guess if you have any questions about the company "Import Concern" and JDM cars, you can e-mail us and we'll be of as much assistance as we can to you. *for the record, Import Concern will not bring ILLEGAL cars into Canada*

Wildcat
11-13-2003, 05:42 PM
There are some in Toronto and Vancouver, but they are registered in the US.

any rules with driving those across the boarder?

say you got pulled over on a routine checkstop and they notice you have a phat R34, can you still get in shit even though you have an american plate and registration?

redbaron303
11-13-2003, 05:49 PM
If you've got a Canadian license, they may start asking questions... and if you have a Canadian license I'm pretty sure you'd still recieve the same demerit points and such against your license even though the car is registered in the US... With the car being registered in the US I would imagine you may get the car towed if you don't have a good explanation for the cop who pulled you over...

I doubt "Officer, I bought this car in the us and becasue customs won't let me import it I need to have it registered in the US and really I'm just here visiting and showing off my cool car..."

The officer would probably respond "SO you're driving a black list car that customs says you're not allowed to have in Canada, your license says you're a citizen here but you're claiming you're just visiting... now that either means your lieing or your license here is a fake...."

It would probably be something ridiculous like that along with having the car towed and impounded. Unless of course the cop was nice and let you go....

I think you can only drive an american registered and insured car here for extended time if you have a licnese from where that car is from!? (I'm not a dual citizen or do I have experience driving in the US, so feel free to correct me if you guys know otherwise). This just seems the logical answer that unless you're an american driving the "american" car, you may get into trouble...

Wildcat
11-13-2003, 05:54 PM
well say everything is legit and you really are an american visiting canada, you got all your papers and everything etc. could they write you up a ticket? what would it be for? $?

or would they just be dicks and do like 20 laps around your car, nitpicking every illegal detail like they normally do?

redbaron303
11-13-2003, 06:18 PM
They can write you all the tickets they want.

*IF* you're breaking laws. If you haven't broken any laws, they can't write you a ticket...

Besides if everything is legit and you're truely visiting, take the tickets and don't pay them... you're not residing here so they won't fuck your insurance and such.

The can still do tint, exhaust, neons, speeding, careless driving, etc... You're just a foreinger getting the ticket here then....

redbaron303
11-13-2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by ninspeed
Nope. It's not a licensing/registration issue, it wont be allowed into Canada at all until it's 15 years old.

This is sort of true.... You can store it in Canada but it has to be w/ someone like a bonded Customs storage facility and you won't get to touch the car until it's legal anyhow. The customs storage facilities are extremely expensive and make the $90ish CAD for storage in Japan look HELLA CHEAP. Just some FYI, its possible but it isn't worth it for the cost, especially when you have no access to the car anyhow.

Alpine Autowerks
11-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Over the years I have seen lots of cars plated and on the road that should not by definition be legally be here.

AMG hammer (in TO)
Lambo LM02 (in Calgary) drove it too
959 (in St Catherines ON)
Lambo LP500 (in Calgary)
ROW 911's and 930's by the bulk and a few 300hp 928
Kremmer K4 street drove that 1 too my GAAAAWWWWWWdddd
(Porshe 935 with interior and muffler)

the general impression i got from the owners was that if the check cleared for the gst little else mattered plus it was the eighties man.

redbaron303
11-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if that's all there was to it now days?! :(

MistaBrent
11-16-2003, 04:59 AM

what about by boat, or maube hes a real good swimmer !

redbaron303
11-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Taking a boat to Japan.... whoever does that has some time on their hands.... :) For the time saved I would fly to Japan! :)

teknical
11-23-2003, 06:56 PM
so say you bought a skyline from the states, and drove it to the boarder, would they allow you to continue through into canada? or would they turn you back around?

I'd love to get one, but it sounds like there is hella penalty for having something like that in canada.

rage2
11-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by teknical
so say you bought a skyline from the states, and drove it to the boarder, would they allow you to continue through into canada? or would they turn you back around?

I'd love to get one, but it sounds like there is hella penalty for having something like that in canada.
If it's registered in the US, and insured in the US, you can drive it up in Canada. You're not importing a car, you're just using a US car in Canada as a visitor.

redbaron303
11-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Rage2 is right :)

But to import from the US the 15 year old rule applies...

AutodreamMarvin
11-23-2003, 10:49 PM
HEY HEY HEY
i'm not trying to talk down import concern at all. from my experience talking with them, they are a very straight forward company that doesn't like to bend rules. i had some confusion because i knew someone at customs and i thought that if i got the OK from them, then the car would be legal to bring over. after a talk with one of the representatives at import concern(chris) he set the facts straight that they would essentially be letting the skyline in illegally and that they would be merely letting the car slip into the country by forging documents. and that if caught, would be confiscated, and cut into pieces with me left with the bill, and someone with a lost job. i like the way they do business, they don't try to screw people over, they let me know what the possible consequences were and so on. IN NO WAY WAS I TRYING TO DEFACE IMPORT CONCERNS NAME. i guarantee that if a suitable FC isn't found here in calgary, that i will be calling import concern to bring over an fc from japan.

redbaron303, let chris know that i want his business, he was very pleasant to talk to, and he answered all my questions thoroughly, and i got off the phone with a smile on my face.

btw,
i would like to congratulate 88CRX for having such big internet balls.

wow, your balls..... so...... BIG! :clap: :clap:

redbaron303
11-24-2003, 12:08 AM
brbHPR - Thanks for the good review. (It's Chris BTW, just never introduced myself as such here, sorry). I figured there was no use in beating around the bush, but instead telling it straight up! As much as I want to see the newer cars here, we have one major problem - the CDN Gov't! :( Until that problem is fixed, we'll have to adhere to the rules, but hey, it's not that long of a wait!

Skyline fans just have some patients and your dream toys will be legal soon enough!

As far as the FC goes.... brbHPR - if you're looking and in Edmonton, I have a friend whose excellent to deal with for these cars and has a few forsale! He's the only rotor head I'd let work on my Rx7 :) As for the JDM one, just keep in mind it's about a month for it to get here if you decide to go that route so plan a lil a head :) Good luck on your search!

teknical
11-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Alright thanks for the clarification on this issue. I didn't know why it was such a big deal for a skyline to get into canada. Are they just not street safe or what? :confused:

So, say if I wanted to purchase one, I could go down to the states, buy it, register it in montana say (closest state) and then keep it in canada and say I"m just visiting?

sorry for all the questions, but I like learning something new everyday. :thumbsup:

rage2
11-24-2003, 01:53 AM
Alright thanks for the clarification on this issue. I didn't know why it was such a big deal for a skyline to get into canada. Are they just not street safe or what? :confused:
Nissan didn't invest $ to make a LHD version of the car, pass north american emissions, or crash test in North America.

So, say if I wanted to purchase one, I could go down to the states, buy it, register it in montana say (closest state) and then keep it in canada and say I"m just visiting?
The US insurance company might bitch about it if they knew you were in Canada with the car all the time.

teknical
11-24-2003, 11:04 AM
ah, alright thanks rage!

redbaron303
11-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Ya Rage is right :)

The gov't of Canada decided once upon a time that we shouldn't be allowed to import certain things, and that included cars newer than 15 years :(

We'll just have to deal with that law for now... :(

ae1969
11-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by redbaron303
Ya Rage is right :)

The gov't of Canada decided once upon a time that we shouldn't be allowed to import certain things, and that included cars newer than 15 years :(

We'll just have to deal with that law for now... :(

Uhmmmm you can import 'many' cars that are less than 15 years of age..... just not the skyline.

The site that Rage2 posted has all the information you need. Too much misinformation in this topic. It is a straight forward process no smoke and mirrors.

Now can you import it in pieces and build it as a kit car?..... Does anyone know the answer to that. :)

redbaron303
11-27-2003, 01:18 AM
No you can't! I'd have to find my document and link you, but it says kit cars are not allowed in either! If you bring a car in as salvage, which is typically what you do when it comes in pieces to Canada, then it'll never be registerable for road use, best you could hope for is a track car.

You can't import any cars that are from out of country that are younger than 15 years! Trust me on this.

The riv site is for cars imported to the US that are allowed into Canada! If it's not on that list and wasn't produced for the USDM market it doesn't come to Canada unless it's 15 years old or older! Simple as that.

GTS Jeff
11-27-2003, 02:42 AM
The US insurance company might bitch about it if they knew you were in Canada with the car all the time. it could also be considered fraud, in which case the insurance isnt valid and u are basically driving around without insurance, yet another huge no-no.

JTL_ZXTT
11-27-2003, 09:26 PM
damn .. 15 years! such a long wait! ... they should do what Japan does just paste a 150% tax on the original price of the car that way who ever wants it really really!!! bad ... can pay 150% of the price to bring it over of course not including the original price of the car and the money to bring it over ... but atleast it would be an option ... and the gov can make some mula to dump in health care .....