PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 3.1

shakalaka
09-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Just saw the upgrade in itunes but refrained from doing it because don't want to lose my unlock and jailbreak. Been trying to search and read online but couldn't find much other than upgrading via itunes will infact ruin the jailbreak and ulstrasnow unlock. Anyone know if they been able to find the hack for this yet? Is it possible to upgrade to 3.1 and still have the jailbreak and unlock?

CivicDXR
09-12-2009, 01:36 AM
not that I've heard of yet... I was looking around too... give it a week or so. :D

tha_bandit
09-12-2009, 11:12 AM
prob be a long time for an unlock...

rage2
09-12-2009, 12:09 PM
You'll prob be able to keep your unlock when the new tools for 3.1 comes out. It'll upgrade the firmware but not the baseband. Just hold off and don't upgrade via iTunes.

shakalaka
09-12-2009, 12:20 PM
^Yea I read that on the dev team website, so I am keeping the 3.0.1 until I can be certain that the new one won't screw anything up.

eglove
09-12-2009, 12:24 PM
there's no pwnage tool yet, never is right away. wait 7-10 days

Dj_Stylz
09-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I did the damn update now none of my apps work. They open and close right away

CivicDXR
09-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
I did the damn update now none of my apps work. They open and close right away

Hook up to iTunes, delete all your apps, then put them back on again...

scat19
09-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Yep, hold off on the update.

The ONLY cool feature I can think off is voice control over BT. But is that really usefull? Better battery life? (Is that just to get you to update)

I'd take my "backgrounder" "fontswap" "winterboard" over voice control anyday.

With the 3GS's bigger memory, you can background applications way better without crashing too!

mr2mike
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by scat19

I'd take my "backgrounder" "fontswap" "winterboard" over voice control anyday.

Same.
With voice control, you'll just look like an idiot in public. I mean you have voice control for your MAC desktops too and I think I tested it out once. So how many times will you use this?

I'm with you on battery life. What, you get an extra 10 minutes of standby with it?

DJ_NAV
09-14-2009, 03:37 PM
what software r u using to run background applications?

mr2mike
09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
backgrounder.

Only for jailbroken phones as far as I know.

CivicDXR
09-15-2009, 09:51 PM
*** Jailbreak is ready to go ***

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Mac only so far: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4254

cherpintow
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
For those whose phones aren't jailbroken and are looking to update to 3.1, I would hold off. Seems it is causing a lot of problems with people's phones:

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/15/iphone-3-1-problems-flood-our-tip-box/

shakalaka
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Dammit, unlocking is always the last thing that comes and a must for me. lol

CivicDXR
09-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Dammit, unlocking is always the last thing that comes and a must for me. lol

If you're jailbroken and unlocked already, upgrading using the PWNAGE tool will still allow you to use redsn0w (unlock) since it will not update the baseband/modem...

shakalaka
09-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

If you're jailbroken and unlocked already, upgrading using the PWNAGE tool will still allow you to use redsn0w (unlock) since it will not update the baseband/modem...

Yeap I am already jailbroken and unlocked, so sweet I can update using the pwnage tool, jailbreak and just unlock using redsn0w? Now I just gotta wait for the PC version, or I guess I can use my antique ibook. lol

EDIT: Just looking at iclarified instructions the step 8 says enter adminstrator passord. Any ideas as to what might that be?

eglove
09-15-2009, 10:19 PM
jailbreak is NOT ready for 3GS. Only the older gens

CivicDXR
09-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Yeap I am already jailbroken and unlocked, so sweet I can update using the pwnage tool, jailbreak and just unlock using redsn0w? Now I just gotta wait for the PC version, or I guess I can use my antique ibook. lol

EDIT: Just looking at iclarified instructions the step 8 says enter adminstrator passord. Any ideas as to what might that be?

Administrator password is the password for your user account for your mac. So basically same one you would use when it asked when you're installing a program on your mac.

shakalaka
09-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

Administrator password is the password for your user account for your mac. So basically same one you would use when it asked when you're installing a program on your mac.

Ok so I figure I might as well try this on my ibook and when I mount the dmg file and try to open the Pwnage Tool app it doesn't open at all. I double click it and it looks like it's about to open but nothing happens. Any idea what's happening? It shows up in the tray for a second and disappears.

eglove
09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't think pwnage is a universal app. So if you have an iBook. That's a ppc. Not an intel.

scat19
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
what software r u using to run background applications?

"Backgrounder"

It's great. The 3gs really multi tasks well, even though the program is funning full pelt in the background.

The iPhone is 10x better jailbroken, that is for sure.

On another note, apps are still not using the push to the full extent yet.

tha_bandit
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
didnt want to start a new thread......iphone jailbreak and firmware crap is out too often anyways...

anyways jailbreak for the entire line of ipods and iphones, 1st to 3rd gen, 2g,3g, and on and on for 3.1.2 is out

http://blackra1n.com/

^geohot, windows only atm

update on dev team blog as well, if any one is interested about unlocking and such.

Kavy
10-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by tha_bandit
didnt want to start a new thread......iphone jailbreak and firmware crap is out too often anyways...

anyways jailbreak for the entire line of ipods and iphones, 1st to 3rd gen, 2g,3g, and on and on for 3.1.2 is out

http://blackra1n.com/

^geohot, windows only atm

update on dev team blog as well, if any one is interested about unlocking and such.

Its a half assed jailbreak however, and you have to install cydia again as well as completely flush your phone to regain your lost space.

But thats just what I have read in the threads I have refrained as I like how its working now.

tha_bandit
10-12-2009, 01:45 AM
^haha i personally gave up with the updates and shit, i'm still on 3.0 jailbroken with redsnow, i hate that when u update everything gets wiped...

shakalaka
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I am the same still on 3.0.1 and everything is fine just can't be bothered with trying to update it again unless some major differences.

yue
10-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I am the same still on 3.0.1 and everything is fine just can't be bothered with trying to update it again unless some major differences.
same here. i would consider updating the firmware if they included that landscape home screen feature on the upcoming iphone.

lol, if apple completely makes their new firmwares and itunes impervious to jailbreak and downgrading then i guess i have a hot commodity on my hands.

aypi
10-12-2009, 11:12 PM
my 3g is still on 3.0 too. but i have to say that the program blackrain fucking rocks!!! i was impressed on how fast and easy it was to jailbreak my friends 3gs on 3.1. and the good thing is, nothing at all was erased, all the sms and data of the phone are still there. the only thing added was the blackrain icon. :thumbsup:

i think it only took like a minute and the phone rebooted itself and its done. and also no more DFU bs. just connect the phone and let it rain. lol

scat19
10-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I have a 3.1.2 jailbroken.

I was forced to restore via iTunes, as my phone went into restart of death... as they stopped signing anything less than 3.1....

Then geohots jailbreak came. It was quick and easy. best jailbreak ever.

Not too sure what the half assed jailbreak means? Can't complain..

However, my phone is locked to rogers.

bball2
10-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm going to give this a shot later today:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5527

eglove
10-13-2009, 10:07 AM
yeah, do it the geohot way so you get a picture of a dude everytime your phone turns on. :rolleyes:

it didn't even take 5 minutes to redsn0w it. and you don't lose anything, as long as you back up your phone, everything magically comes back. imagine that!

Kavy
10-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by eglove
yeah, do it the geohot way so you get a picture of a dude everytime your phone turns on. :rolleyes:

it didn't even take 5 minutes to redsn0w it. and you don't lose anything, as long as you back up your phone, everything magically comes back. imagine that!

Redsnow for 3.1?

Please give me a link if it is available I have been checking everyday LOL

* And about the half assed jailbreak is that all it does is a minor code change, I prefer to have a rebuilt image so there is no issues down the line when it comes to updating to the next firmware.

scat19
10-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by eglove

Do you even know what you're talking about?

1) There is no picture of the guy when you turn your phone on. I JUST did it.

2) 3.1.XXX is not available to be jailbroken by redsnow yet if you've done an itunes restore (restart of death), or bought the phone with 3.1. iTunes is not signing old ipsw's anymore.

eglove
10-13-2009, 12:23 PM
i redsnow'd my phone to 3.1.2 last week when it was released, check the dev team blog. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ it's all there in plain english.

scat19
10-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Sigh. Are you reading what I'm writing?

You used custom firmware. I'm talking about apple firmware.

bball2
10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
How long does blackra1n usually take? It's been on the "running" stage for about half an hour now :dunno:

aypi
10-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by bball2
How long does blackra1n usually take? It's been on the "running" stage for about half an hour now :dunno:

like a minute or 2. lol

try to do it again. and restart your computer first.

bball2
10-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Got blackra1n to work after like a dozen failed attempts. For anyone else wanting to jailbreak their iPhones I would recommend waiting for redsn0w, blackra1n was an absolute pain in the ass. For some people it's taking less than a minute to jailbreak, for others it works after changing settings around on your computer / iPhone, and for a few unlucky people nothing is seeming to work.

Anyways here's what worked for me:

1. Make sure you have QTCF.dll, in C: / Windows/System3
2. Have iTunes open but setup to not autosync
3. End the following tasks through task manager: AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe // iPodService.exe // mDNRSResponder.exe
4. Disable pass lock on iPhone / put it into airplane mode
5. Download blackra1n.exe and put it in C:
6. Right click and run as administrator (vista)
7. Hold the power button / home button at the same time on the iPhone
8. When the apple logo appears let go of the power button and press "make it ra1n" on the blackra1n application (this specific timing was the only thing that worked for me, and took ages to figure out)

Some other resources:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5527 (Comments might be helpful if you're having trouble)

http://computelive.com/fix-blackra1n-jailbreak-for-iphone-3g/

http://cydiaupdates.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/blackra1n-not-working-for-you-stuck-on-running-or-entering-recovery-mode-the-blackra1n-checklist-get-your-idevice-jailbroken-now/

http://wickmanstudios.com/content/view/26/1/

navdeep
10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
i tryed this soo many time's wont work at all for me

scat19
10-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Dang BBall2, it took me 30 seconds, I had itunes open, and everything. Easiest jailbreak ever!

codetrap
10-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah.. I did the itunes update to the latest rev. Let it update my touch 32Gb, and then did a full sync.

Downloaded blackrain, did the jailbreak in like 20 seconds, and spent the next hour checking out cydia apps. By far the easiest jailbreak yet.

codetrap
10-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by scat19

Do you even know what you're talking about?

1) There is no picture of the guy when you turn your phone on. I JUST did it.

I think maybe he's referring to the photo of the guy that you get when you reboot your new Touch, which is a tethered jailbreak only. You need to run blackrain everytime you reboot the Touch.