PDA

View Full Version : Who owns a Jeep YJ, CJ, TJ?

LUDELVR
09-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Just wondering who on the forum owns one of these styles of Jeep? I'm curious to see how they are in the winter. Am considering one just because I've always wanted one for the summer but would be using it more for the winter! :rofl:

In any case, yeah, let me know the pros and cons as well as how the repairs are on these things. I've heard they have some dodgey things going on with the engines from some of my mates who have had them in the past.

Cheers boys!

FraserB
09-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Depending on the engine you get the repairs are pretty easy and the I6 will go forever. Did you have a budget in mind?

PM if you want.

Unknown303
09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I have an 07 JK and love is. With traction control it's a dream in the winter.

That.Guy.S30
09-13-2009, 04:17 PM
ive had a YJ.. the weight makes it an issue in winter.. the rear end loves to come out, and its a small SUV doesnt help when u start sliding.

mine was modified... lemon.. spent more time in the shop then my driveway.

LUDELVR
09-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
ive had a YJ.. the weight makes it an issue in winter.. the rear end loves to come out, and its a small SUV doesnt help when u start sliding.

mine was modified... lemon.. spent more time in the shop then my driveway.

True! Oh snap. Hmm...even with the 4WD it was an issue? That's a tad shitty.

Are these engines expensive to replace? :dunno:

the_game22
09-13-2009, 04:57 PM
The old cj's main issue for the winter was the heater. They wouldn't even throw enough heat to defrost the windows. Mine had been modified so that a bigger blower motor & fan would fit. and it also had an aux heater in the back. That was enough to keep the windows defrosted.

That.Guy.S30
09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

True! Oh snap. Hmm...even with the 4WD it was an issue? That's a tad shitty.

Are these engines expensive to replace? :dunno:

cant use 4wd when its dry right? i only used 4wd when im stuck in a ditch or theres alot of snow. and with calgary you get slick icy sections, by the time you punch it into 4wd it might be game over lol.

if you put weight into the back its not too bad, i guess. mine also rusted like no tommorow, even with rust proofing.

the engines are ok. i know alot of them leak oil, mine didnt. i had a 4.0L. i never once had a problem with the engine. it was the rest of the car i had to worry about lol.

justincalgary
09-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I am on my 4th Jeep now. I have had a YJ, 2 TJ's, and now a JK.

I absolutely love them. They aren't a family vehicle, but they are fun.

I keep buying them because of the fact that it is a convertible in the summer and in my opinion, regardless of what has been said, the BEST winter vehicle ever.

The heater is amazing and as for ice and snow and such, because of the short wheel base, nothing beats them.

FraserB
09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
The 4wd is great but with the lighter ones the rear does like to swing out. i would personally go with a TJ. Good engine, more aftermarket support and easy to work on.

LUDELVR
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I've been looking at a few just trying to get my bearings around them, the frequency of them breakdowning and repair costs.

Like I said, I'm not taking these things trail riding or anything. It would just me nice to have a vehicle that I could drive in the winter without having to worry about spinning out or getting high centered on a piece of ice that has fallen from the car in front of me! :rofl: Don't get me wrong, I love driving my S2K in the winter, but I can only drive sideways for so long! :rofl:

Unknown303
09-14-2009, 06:48 PM
If you can get an 07 and newer they have traction control which is truly incredible in the winter for all conditions.

avishal26
09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
I got a 95 YJ.. it is awesome fun in the summer driving down to the beach with no top on. I am in Vancouver so not too worried about getting stuck in snow but my 4wd is permanently on anyway (front disconnector is stuck lol)

So far I've only had to replace the O2 sensor since I failed the emissions test the first time. We'll see if I pass this weekend.

Apart from the lack of suspension, they're not too bad. I only use mine to get around town and get groceries.. for everything else.. I ride my R6 :)

LUDELVR
09-15-2009, 02:31 PM
I've been scoping out some 89-94 YJ's and I'm just wondering, are the 4 cylinder engines fuel injected or carb'd?:dunno:

justincalgary
09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Don't buy the 4 cyl. They are absolutely gutless.

Jry_79
09-15-2009, 04:39 PM
I had a 91' YJ, fun in the summer.....but make sure you have health benefits for the frostbite at winter. <does a 91 YJ come with a heater? wouldn't of know>

trevh
09-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Good thread. I'm in the market for the same thing.

nattiewest
09-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by the_game22
The old cj's main issue for the winter was the heater. They wouldn't even throw enough heat to defrost the windows. Mine had been modified so that a bigger blower motor &amp; fan would fit. and it also had an aux heater in the back. That was enough to keep the windows defrosted.

The old CJ's are so dreamy - with the slanted roll bars and all their sexiness - I'm jealous!

spikerS
09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I had a YJ with the 4 cyl.

was a great year round vehicle, and besides chewing up a few starters and a water pump, i drove it for almost 5 years and close to 160k, and I got it used at 120kms.

LUDELVR
09-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I really don't care if it's guttless to be honest. It's a second vehicle and more so for just winter and cruising with the doors off, top down and tunes blasting in the summer! :thumbsup:

barmanjay
09-16-2009, 12:00 AM
I had a 95 YJ

Absolutely loved it and miss it dearly

Best winter vehicle I've had.

During -20 and colder, the heater was luke warm so bring a jacket.

A good set of MT's and have them siped for winter. You'll never get stuck.

The only issue I ever had was these never came with any kind of locker - worth it to add one. Open diffs do suck when you bury yourself.

Mine was the 4cyl. Yes it's gutless, but it kept up with the big boys on the trails.

On the hwy, I never saw passed 100k,... imagine driving a 4000lb refrigerator box in a headwind with a smart car motor.

Loved driving with the doors and top off in 24 degree weather.

Driving off road and going through my fair share of muddy trails/ponds, I've killed 2 starters and 1 alt.

Lots of aftermarket for jeeps.

LUDELVR
09-20-2009, 12:49 AM
So I've sourced out some YJ's and I'm keen on the 4 cylinders. Any of the older ones (90-95 is what I'm looking at) have a/c by any chance? Also, what should I be watching out for on these vehicles?

LUDELVR
09-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Just chatting with another bloke about his jeep and he was saying that the manual says not to drive in 4WD above 80. So is this so? How do most of you guys drive on the highway in the winter? In 2WD?:dunno:

That.Guy.S30
09-22-2009, 09:56 PM
yup.. honestly i rarely used 4wd. maybe once a year. most of the time its fine, just watch for icy patches.

my toyota FJ is the same.

maybe you should look at a forester. full time AWD, cant say enough about the subarus.

barmanjay
09-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Just chatting with another bloke about his jeep and he was saying that the manual says not to drive in 4WD above 80. So is this so? How do most of you guys drive on the highway in the winter? In 2WD?:dunno:

That is correct, but in the winter with snowy/icy roads, I never went passed 80 anyways.

LUDELVR
09-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I took a look at the jeep and the thing is pretty beat up! On the other hand, this is what has been done:

1992 Jeep YJ wrangler
2.5L 4Cyl. with 4.10 gear ratios
5 speed manual
4x4
Red with Black top (hard top)
Great Running Condition

New:
Replaced Transmission/Transfercase($300),
Rear Brakes,
Alternator ($210),
All U-joints(super strength =$38 Each x5),
All Fluids(Engine,Transmission,Transfercase,Front and Rear Diffs,Brake Fluid,Clutch fluid, Coolant=$400),
Brand new clutch($300)
Replaced Front and Rear Drive Shafts(sanded and repainted red and CAT yellow = $150),
Rear U-Bolts($40)
2.5 Degree axle shims($25),
Front passenger Wheel bearing ($120)
Flywheel,
Rear Wheel Seals($45)
Starter(February 2009 $190)

Upgrades:
2.5" Rubicon Express Suspension lift($900) fall 2007
31X10.50X15 Tires on stock jeep rims($600) fall 2007
2, 4x6 tweeters(speakers)($150) fall 2008
KenWood MP3 AUX USB Stereo ($200) Fall 2008
10" Infinity 1000 Watt Subwoofer and 250 watt amp (gifts, Sug, retail: $450)
CB Radio and antenna ($200)
Beefed up Rear Axle Spring Perches

Will Sell As Is for $2500 Some negotiation possible,
2250 WIthout Stereo and CB Radio/antenna

Also have a detroit 1.5way Limited slip Differential.
Take it all PLUS Spare Parts for $3000 Firm

That was just cut and pasted from the ad. It had no photos; however, from what I saw, there was heaps of rust on the fenders where the wheel fenders bolted on. He had them taken off. As well, the carpet and lining were removed and it was very loud in the passenger seat and the driver's seat was pretty shredded.

I don't know how loud these things are supposed to be but it seemed hella loud in the cab...maybe because we had the doors off and the plugs were out of the floor panels, but still. Fucking loud!!

That.Guy.S30
09-22-2009, 10:41 PM
these cars will drone in the cabin. ive also had my carpets taken out. when you go boggin or whatever, u dont want ur carpet to get wet and smell. that said, every jeep has rust.. tons of it.
i would stay away from modded jeeps.. you will watch repairs cost more than the car itself.

LUDELVR
09-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
these cars will drone in the cabin. ive also had my carpets taken out. when you go boggin or whatever, u dont want ur carpet to get wet and smell. that said, every jeep has rust.. tons of it.
i would stay away from modded jeeps.. you will watch repairs cost more than the car itself.

True? Wow, well, the funny thing is that he said he replaced these parts because they happened to need replacing.

In any case, there's another one in Edmonton with fewer km's but with equally the same quality of paint. It has been lady driven; however, the guy I saw today was saying how some of the ladies that he's read about in jeep forums seem to muck up the syncrhoes quite quickly. :dunno:

aaronck
09-23-2009, 02:17 PM
4 cyl gets worse mileage on the highway than a 6-it works a lot harder. My TJ is my 4th jeep and it's great in town, topless today even!

In winter they are VERY nimble and handle any snow well, but they are not good highway vehicles, even with the 6cyl

Pollywog
09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I had an 88 YJ. It was the shittiest and the BEST vehicle I've ever owned. A lot of hours of work to get it running properly, but it was the most fun I've had in the drivers seat. It took me to mountain tops, through trails, put me in some sticky situations and just looked cool. Get a Jeep, you won't regret it - and if it's a YJ, be sure to go for the 4.0L over the 4.2L or the 4-banger.

As for winter performance...Just dont run mud tires because its terrifying, especially with no abs - get some dedicated winters. Due to the wheelbase being so short, its a little squirly sometimes on the highway. There were days I didn't feel comfortable doing 20 under everyone else just to be sure I'd get to my destination alive.

Kloubek
09-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I used to have a TJ.

They can be a handful when stopping in icy conditions. The wheelbase is so short - if the back end decides to slide, it slides quickly.

With this said, forward momentum was unstoppable; Jeeps will go ANYWHERE.

Somewhat cold inside in the winter - especially with a YJ and a soft top. (Hard top helps, as does the TJ heater which is much improved.)

The 4 is REALLY gutless. If you plan on taking the Jeep on the highway at all, you will really want the 6. Up hills, I couldn't even get my Jeep over 80.

Don't worry about the manual transfer case. 2WD is better on gas when you don't need it, and there is less to go wrong with this setup.

And noise is pretty standard with a Jeep. Worse with the soft top. It just doesn't have much sound insulation. Still, it shouldn't be ridiculously loud like you describe - my TJ was loud, but one could still carry on a conversation.

If this is going to be a daily driver, I would suggest the TJ over the YJ. Both are great offroad, but the on-road characteristics of the TJ are much better.

Redlyne_mr2
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
What about just a cherokee sport or even a limited? They have that fantastic inline 6, great off road and plenty of space.
http://www.jonsteiger.com/WWW/cherokee/pics/exterior.jpg

barmanjay
09-23-2009, 04:16 PM
I loved my YJ,.. but my next one will be a grand cherokee,.. you can find many 93-94's relatively cheap

canuckcarguy
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Terrible on the highway in the winter, in my experience owning a CJ7 and two YJs. I've heard the TJ is better, which it should be with the suspension change.

I loved mine in winter city driving, but I wouldn't drive one on the highway in bad conditions. Knuckles get too white.