PDA

View Full Version : Calgary cyclist stabbed after argument in Fish Creek Park

Super_Geo
09-14-2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Calgary+cyclist+stabbed+after+argument+Fish+Creek+Park/1991884/story.html

CALGARY - A Calgary bicyclist is in hospital this morning after being stabbed in the chest yesterday afternoon - an incident stemming from an argument with another group of cyclists, police say.

Officials say the attack happened at about 5:30 p.m., when the victim and two friends were riding through Fish Creek Park near Elbow Drive and Canyon Meadows Drive. The trio came upon another group of cyclists with their bikes blocking the bike path, and a request for the second group to move the bikes started an argument, police say.

The victim and his friends rode away after the incident, police added, but the second group followed. One of the males in the second bike group began to fight the victim, who was stabbed in the upper chest.

The 24-year-old victim rode home on his bike after being stabbed, collapsing on the driveway of his house in Canyon Meadows. He was taken to hospital with a punctured lung, but has since stabilized.

The attacker was unknown to the victim, police said, and a search has not turned up the suspect so far. Anyone with information should contact Calgary police at 403-567-6800.

Haha wtf...

98type_r
09-14-2009, 08:30 AM
i heard this on the news last night and i was wondering the same thing, wtf?

How many normal people going for a bike ride carry a knife on them?

Pollywog
09-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r

http://andysyring.com/overkill-bicycle-chopper.jpg

Realistically though, this is absolutely ridiculous that such a event could arise from something as simple as asking some people to move on a pathway.

corsvette
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I was just riding there myself yesterday,around the same time and in that general area too.It does bring up a good point though,many many times people stop ON the pathway (im talking the paved path)to talk or repair their bike,blocking the lane,this is very annoying when there is loads of greenspace on either side of the path.I could see one losing their temper at a group blocking the whole pathway.

D. Dub
09-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Crazy world

D'z Nutz
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Only in the NE

masoncgy
09-14-2009, 10:24 AM
^ Uhhh... Fish Creek Park?

Tik-Tok
09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
^ Uhhh... Fish Creek Park?

http://api.ning.com/files/wXB2IsrbdkUd9FKFNnZz-UnOSDD5tW-81QSNPLXYdaqoOs*vpABph39HuTkJaYHN73DWWE2St00br3b798j9oM5SiZ2z-9f6/sarcasm.jpg

vengie
09-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow, getting close to home, 2 crazy incidents in fish creek park in less than 2 weeks?!
and this one over something so minor??

WTF is happening to society...

Super_Geo
09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r

Haha it was probably the flat head screwdriver on a multi-tool :rofl:

SJW
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
There has to be more to the story. There always is.

cocoabrova
09-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Only in the NE

:werd: dog

bulaian
09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by SJW
There has to be more to the story. There always is.

Yeah, it probably wasn't a "Please sir, can you kindly move your bike off the path so I can get through? Thanks."

more realistically "Get the fuck off the path!"

:drama:

vengie
09-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by bulaian

Yeah, it probably wasn't a "Please sir, can you kindly move your bike off the path so I can get through? Thanks."

more realistically "Get the fuck off the path!"

:drama:

Does that justify stabbing some guy in the chest?
if so, our world is full of over sensitive cowards.

Boat
09-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Heard this on the news,

The victim was 24 and he collapsed on his MOM's driveway :rofl:
I doubt a 24 year old shit disturber lives with his mother!

I could be wrong

swak
09-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Boat
Heard this on the news,

The victim was 24 and he collapsed on his MOM's driveway :rofl:
I doubt a 24 year old shit disturber lives with his mother!

I could be wrong

Is it possible that his mom lived closer than he did, and he was looking for the closest place possible to get help?

5hift
09-14-2009, 01:13 PM
This is obviously a biased half to the story.

Also I'm not an avid user of Calgary's pathways, but from my understanding, if I'm riding my bike and there's someone blocking the path, I slow down, go a bit off the path and ride around them? Stopping and asking someone to clear the path for me to ride through would just take longer even if they complied right away.

swak
09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I ride to work/school every day, people are ridiculous on the pathways. Stay in your lane, and id be fine with it, ill go around when i get the opportunity, but almost every path user that isnt alone they take up more than their lane.

This is when i get pissed.

Super_Geo
09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by swak
This is when i get pissed.

I don't get mad, I get stabby

http://cdn.screenjunkies.com/www/sites/default/files/simpsons_fat_tony.jpg

Graham_A_M
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
wow, WTF, such a nice area of town. Probably done by some NE-sterners lost & frusterated trying to get back home. ;)

J NRG
09-14-2009, 07:57 PM

SJW
09-14-2009, 08:08 PM
One of these mountain biker gangs i've been hearing so much about.

Alterac
09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
http://capitalistliontamer.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/roberto_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

vengie
09-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by J NRG
I didnt hear that he collasped on his mothers driveway but rather that his mother is a nurse and tried to treat him on scene; meaning that he likely got stabbed in front of his mom.

Possibly after someone said something crude or inappropriate to her?

Its easy to get in escalated fights off a bike, adrenaline is going cardio is waaay up and likely already somewhat defensive.

I could tell lots of stories about bike related incidents... including one in which a green onion knocked me on my arse.

But i wont. :D

Did any involve you getting stabbed over said incident?

didn't this so, there really is NO justification for the actions taken. IMO our society is full of pussies... what happened to the good ol' fistfight?

signature7
09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I don't get mad, I get stabby

http://cdn.screenjunkies.com/www/sites/default/files/simpsons_fat_tony.jpg

"I see you've played knifey spoony before"

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/signature7/knifey-spoony-6582.jpg

topmade
09-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Ok, here it is from a close friend of the group that got attacked. Take it for what it is. Guy who got stabbed apparently isn't too chill of a guy and is hot headed. The other group also seemed to be a bunch of punks and they were NOT on bikes.

The guy who got stabbed apparently likes to wear his pants really low. As they were riding along approaching the other group that was by the bike path, one girl blurted "pull up your pants" or something like that. Stabbed guy swore back at her and then the stabber guy got pissed and started to chase the victim and the fight started. The victim got a few punches in before he was stabbed. The victim still wanted to fight because of his raging adrenaline, but his other friends pulled him away and they took off back to his house where he passed out on the driveway.

Super_Geo
09-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Now THAT sounds a lot more plausible. Maybe Stabby McGee will learn to pull his pants up and not take shit so seriously from here on.

msommers
09-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Bottom line, a couple guys got into a fight. Why the fuck did he need to get stabbed? Fucking pathetic. I'll have to make sure I pack some bear mace along with my granola bars from now on.