PDA

View Full Version : Auto trader worth it?

snoop101
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Does anyone still buy the actual Auto trader book?

Selling my car and not to sure if 70 bucks is worth it since the internet auto trader is free.

benz_890
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
I've had better luck with Kijiji

Kloubek
09-15-2009, 12:35 PM
The printed version is getting thinner and thinner all the time. Hardly worth the 4 bucks; especially with Kijiji, Craigslist, and Autortrader.ca around...

snoop101
09-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I was wondering because when I was younger we used to buy them every week. We would even buy them when we werent really looking a for a new vehicle.

One thing though what is kinda making me want to shy away from it (other then the 71 bucks) is the fact that im trying to sell a BMW. Anyone looking to buy a BMW will most likely have the internet. If I was selling like a Ford or dodge truck then I might consider it more because the market would be for some people outside the city with no net access.

So I think its best to just save my money.

On a side note. Do any private sales lots that sell decent cars take your car and sell at kick back to them?

BigShow
09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes I think it's worth it.

Kijiji is full of useless emails for trades and lowball offers.

I think people still search the online version of Autotrader.

Masked Bandit
09-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't be using Auto Trader until all the free options have been tried with no results.

Crymson
09-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Nope, Kijiji all the way.

More than half of the calls i got from autotrader were from those scammers who offer to sell the car to a "pre approved buyer" if you give them 300$ or some bullshit.

Sold a car on Kijiji to the first person who looked at it, took about 1 week.

And you don't have to put up a phoen number on kijiji so you don't get the scammers calling.

davidm_86
09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
When I sold my truck last year, I tried kijiji and a forum specific for my type of truck.

When that didn't work after a couple weeks, I put it in the auto trader. I sold it the next day. (Well, a few days later, but I got the first phone call from the guy day after the ad went in the trader.)

The only downside is the cost, plus they keep calling you asking if you want to extend for $$ more.

adidas
09-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Ive never bought a AutoTrader book.

When looking for a car, ill go on kijiji.ca and craigslist.com, i dont even go on autotrader.ca

I will even check out buysell.ca

This is just a buyers point of view!

Pollywog
09-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Ive bought two traders in the past week (auto and under 5k) :dunno:

I do whore it up on kijiji much more often though...

turbotrip
09-15-2009, 10:49 PM
kijiji is the best way to sell cars these days

ShermanEF9
09-16-2009, 02:19 AM
pop it on kijiji, it'll be gone in a week

GT4rally
09-16-2009, 04:06 AM
The Autotrader book's days are numbered.

I used to buy it all the time, back in the day, just to look... but I think the free wedsites have made it pretty much obsolete.

However, I have often had better results from Autotrader online over Kijiji... depends on the type/price of the car I think.

Older people will tend to gravitate towards the Autotrader, primarily because Autotrader has been around forever and they just don't know about Kijiji or Craigslist.

dglee
09-16-2009, 11:04 AM
I've been trying to sell my car for the past few weeks and no luck. Kijiji, Autotrader, Edmontonjournal, buysell, ... putting it on the autotrader magazine this week. I think really depends on the type of car and whether theres demand or buyers for the vehicle.

masoncgy
09-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Kijiji is the way to go... it's free and has great exposure. I have sold all of my vehicles on there over the last couple years, and quickly too.

Sure, there are low ballers and scammers, but ultimately you control who you talk to.

If someone sends an email offering $2K under asking... I just delete it. Done.

mr2mike
09-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Problem I have with auto trader when I was looking a couple months back is the number of used car dealerships. It should be only private sales. They ruined the auto trader IMO.
Internet just gives better means as well.

snoop101
09-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by dglee
I've been trying to sell my car for the past few weeks and no luck. Kijiji, Autotrader, Edmontonjournal, buysell, ... putting it on the autotrader magazine this week. I think really depends on the type of car and whether theres demand or buyers for the vehicle.

Ya tell me about it. Im selling a Convertable and its not the best time of the season to do it. Thinking of even advertising on the island since my folks live there.

FiveFreshFish
09-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I bought two cars since '07 that were advertised on kijiji. The third one was on beyond.

Mr.William
09-16-2009, 10:45 PM
autotrader will get you nothing but companies trying to sucker you into spending more $$ on advertising

ReflexFX
09-17-2009, 03:18 AM
I know for a fact that id check kijiji, autotrader.ca..etc many many times before going out to buy the printed version

dglee
09-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by snoop101

Ya tell me about it. Im selling a Convertable and its not the best time of the season to do it. Thinking of even advertising on the island since my folks live there.

If you need it gone, you can try to sell it at the dealership, but they will only give you wholesale price. Probably.. your asking price of your car minus 10g.

I am thinking of probably giving up at the end of this month and just repost it during spring time when sports cars and convertibles are easier to sell.