PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher sound proofing.

snoop101
09-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Bought a middle of the road dishwasher last night. Frigidaire 4000 series. Do you think I need to put in extra sound proofing? I was thinking of sound proof insulation around it. Right now it comes with the stock thin insulation. Im not to sure how much noise it actually makes. My old one that came with the condo (GE) is kinda loud.

On a side note does anyone need a dishwasher? The stock GE dishwasher does the job, but is a tad loud in a condo. Going to give it away for free to anyone who can pick it up (Somerset).

sputnik
09-15-2009, 01:09 PM
The noise level of a dishwasher is dependent on the dishwasher you buy and the motors and pumps they use.

Adding more insulation around the top and sides wont do that much.

If you want a quiet dishwasher you need to buy a quiet dishwasher.

codetrap
09-16-2009, 09:04 AM
I did a bunch of research online, and ended up buying a Kenmore Elite.. it was the quietest rated dishwasher in my price range. I'm very happy with it too. You can hear it running when you're in the kitchen, but it's not so loud that you have raise your voice to talk over it when you're standing in front of it. It's just a muted swishing noise of water splashing around in it.

core_upt
09-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Our house has an older Kenmore Elite washer, like mid 90s, and its super quiet.

89coupe
09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

If you want a quiet dishwasher you need to buy a quiet dishwasher.

Exactly! I have a JENN-AIR and its deadly silent. Sometimes I accidently open the damn thing when its running, not realizing its on.

snoop101
09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Installed it last night and its pretty damn good. I used to have to turn the TV up when the old washer was on just to hear the TV. Last night I had to be pretty close to it to hear it.

Also I got that old washer that I been making fun of for the last few days free to anyone that can pick it up. I mean its decent for a downstairs unit or something. :D

ExtraSlow
09-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Yeah, you can add some insulation around the appliance and the surrounding cabinetry, but your choice of appliance makes a huge difference.
My electorlux is very quiet. I've opened it while it was running accidentally before. As far as i can tell, it has no more than the standard exterior insulation.

Kennyredline
09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
If you want to have a quieter dishwasher, put something in her mouth 'till she's done!

DENZILDON
09-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
If you want to have a quieter dishwasher, put something in her mouth 'till she's done!

That made my day! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

alloroc
09-17-2009, 12:40 PM
As much as you insulate the sides a majority of noise is still going to come out of the front from underneath.

Just bought a blomberg to replace the frigidaire we had. The Frigidaire was quiet when we moved in but in the last year or so it started failing in a hurry. All the research I have done says that the European washers are built to last a lot longer.