PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Demolished

Zhariak
09-16-2009, 10:25 AM
So just curious...

Just got my windshield replaced 2 or so months ago.

Today I'm driving south on Deerfoot, after passing deerfoot meadows a HUGE rock flies over from opposing traffic and smokes my windshield wipers and windshield...

Windshield wiper should be salvageable (it's bent and the paint was scraped off it), but the windshield needs to be replaced now.

I'm just curious, when trucks that are filthy and have shit flying off them (rocks, etc...) can you call it in? Also, if shit flies off their truck and breaks your windshield are they liable?

I've heard a few things, they have to replace it, or your shit outa luck. Just looking for clarification...

I didn't get the trucks information because it was going the opposite way on deerfoot, but just curious for future reference...

This friggin rock was sooo big, I'm happy it hit my windshield. If it hit the body of the vehicle it woulda broke shit...

revelations
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
If youre following a truck carrying a load (eg old furniture) and a piece of the load comes off and strikes your vehicle, then you can go after the vehicle/owner for damages.

If a random object strikes you from oncoming traffic (eg rock) you would have a hard time proving that:

a) it came from the truck itself (eg carrying a load of rocks)
b) impact was caused by the truck (and not some other vehicle)

Deerfoot meadows NB is a rough area of road. Most good operators take care not to carry too much crap on the truck that could fall off, but realistically, youre never going to wash a truck frame free from ALL debris. Travelling on that road will cause stuff to break loose from time to time.

scat19
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
With your new windshield you have an oppurtunity to tint it! :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

prae
09-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by scat19
With your new windshield you have an oppurtunity to tint it! :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

haha :) Glad to see you can make fun of yourself (and save us the trouble).

adidas
09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
how bad is the windshield damaged?

Id leave it on for the winter and just replace it in the spring!

funkedelic2
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM

nice, can i ask you a question? You are made fun of and targeted for your tinted windshield problaby more than any other member i have ever seen. You seem to take it in good humour most of the time, but i have to ask.. do you ever actually regret getting it tinted? Or just making a thread about it?

To be honest with you i don't know why its a huge deal here. There are countless cars all over the US that have tinted windshields but as soon as somebody did it here it was the end of the world.

scat19
09-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

nice, can i ask you a question? You are made fun of and targeted for your tinted windshield problaby more than any other member i have ever seen. You seem to take it in good humour most of the time, but i have to ask.. do you ever actually regret getting it tinted? Or just making a thread about it?

To be honest with you i don't know why its a huge deal here. There are countless cars all over the US that have tinted windshields but as soon as somebody did it here it was the end of the world.

I take it in fun, that's for sure. I made the (original) thread to show off the tint etc, not sure what you're asking by making a thread? I definately do NOT regret doing it.

I agree, tones of cars have it all over, but hey, beyonders are ignorant and wanted another someone to pick on.

bjstare
09-16-2009, 04:09 PM

....... but hey, beyonders are ignorant .....

Sometimes blanket statements can sound pretty stupid....after all, you're a beyonder too.... I guess your just proving your own point :dunno:

Anyways OP, you can definitely go after the truck losing rocks (if you see it come off the truck, obviously). I worked for one summer for a gravel slinging company and they were really anal about covering the loads, and cleaning the mud/rocks off the outside of the truck before hitting the freeway in order to prevent this from happening.

Zhariak
09-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by adidas
how bad is the windshield damaged?

Id leave it on for the winter and just replace it in the spring!

It's not obstructing my view... But its HUGE on the passenger side...

Like I said, it was going fast enough, and it was big enough to damage the metal frame of my windshield wiper...

Its a bunch of circles inside each other... probably 8 inches by 8 inches... This sucker is going to go nuts with heat...

Replacing it tomorrow... Makes my vehicle look tacky..

luxor
09-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

Yeah just because half the people on E46fanatics.com do it and that majority of members on that site agree it's "cool" doesn't mean it's acceptable.

potatopineapple
09-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Dang...wonder if any bikers on choppers ever get smoked in the face by rocks like that?

SCHIDER23
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I had the same problem happen to me southbound deerfoot passing deerfoot meadows, a rock hit my car so hard that it shipped of a little chunk of the 3M and paint right at the edge of the hood:eek: , that is why I avoid driving around that area.:whipped:

scat19
09-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

Sometimes blanket statements can sound pretty stupid....after all, you're a beyonder too.... I guess your just proving your own point :dunno:

Yes, take out 2-3 words of my one sentance. Good one.

max_boost
09-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Damn there's a nice round crack in the lower passenger side part of my windshield, scared the shit out of me. Driving on Deerfoot south an hour ago a huge rock came so fast and then splat. Holy fack........:eek: :(

Zhariak
09-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Hmmm...

haha how many people are getting their windshields blown the eff up driving south on deerfoot?

Coincidence????? I THINK NOT!

bjstare
09-17-2009, 02:46 PM

Yes, take out 2-3 words of my one sentance. Good one.

Ya, I only took 5 words. However, I didn't take them out of context. If you read the whole sentence, you still say beyonders are ignorant. Anyways, I'm done; gonna try not to hijack this tread with yet another beyond e-fight:)

scat19
09-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Ya, I only took 5 words. However, I didn't take them out of context. If you read the whole sentence, you still say beyonders are ignorant. Anyways, I'm done; gonna try not to hijack this tread with yet another beyond e-fight:)

ya, you'll lose anways - I've been doing this shit for years :rofl:

Zhariak
09-17-2009, 06:16 PM
/replaced...

Windshield good till next drive down deerfoot!

canuckcarguy
09-18-2009, 01:12 AM
You can get some satisfaction from truckers, if you get a plate number and they're not adhering to transportation standards. I got a decent size rock chip from a truck that spit up a rock, and he wasn't equipped with mud flaps. Called the company, got a cheque for a new windshield that afternoon.

J NRG
09-18-2009, 10:42 PM

JimmyJones
09-20-2009, 12:21 AM

I take it in fun, that's for sure. I made the (original) thread to show off the tint etc, not sure what you're asking by making a thread? I definately do NOT regret doing it.

I agree, tones of cars have it all over, but hey, beyonders are ignorant and wanted another someone to pick on.

Hello sir or madame, My group is doing a paper on people who argue on the internet, why they do it, and what they accomplish from doing so. We would just like to ask you a few simple questions

We are able to pay you in means of a 50 dollar best buy gift card; We do have one condition however, we would like to set up a hidden camera to catch you looking all fishy as you come to reap all the vaust spoils your career of online douchiness has blessed upon you to show to our class.

Please advice,

Zhariak
09-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
You can get some satisfaction from truckers, if you get a plate number and they're not adhering to transportation standards. I got a decent size rock chip from a truck that spit up a rock, and he wasn't equipped with mud flaps. Called the company, got a cheque for a new windshield that afternoon.

I still have NO idea what hit my windshield... All I know is it was HUGE, and almost went right through it...

Maxt
09-20-2009, 10:03 AM
This is when you get find out how useless all this "government" we have is.
Trucks hauling gravel will have a sticker on the side that says Central registry, and a phone number. Its an ASGA sticker, Agsa being the provincial safety body that is supposed to be a safety watch dog that citizens can phone and lodge complaints, its supposed to launch safety initiatives working with trucking companies.
However you will find it's alot like Amvic, you pay your dues, you get protection from the public.
In my 2 dealings with them regarding rocks coming off of trucks and destroying the windshield, they went to the ends of the earth to protect the trucks owners involved, giving us nothing but run around in circles phone numbers,which just went to voicemail, who's recipients never returned a call.. We had witness's, it didn't matter.

In once case I called the police, who said it wasn't a road safety issue or a violation, its a civil matter, and they werent going to get involved. Even though the rock punctured the windshield and put a dent in the cargo divider. The rock was the size of coconut and came out of the tires at highway speed.
Bottom line , don't expect any help, and don't waste your time, just go get a new windshield.

The standards need to be raised here, when I was in Japan, I had to walk through a bunch of construction zones daily, they had guys with big air compressors blowing all the dirt, mud, rocks and debris off of all vehicles leaving the sites, it took them all of 3 minutes per truck and the roads were clean. Its against the law there to make a mess of public roads.
Here they don't give a damn.

2fast4me
09-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by potatopineapple
Dang...wonder if any bikers on choppers ever get smoked in the face by rocks like that?

i got hit by a rock, cracked my visor if that counts.

canuckcarguy
09-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

I still have NO idea what hit my windshield... All I know is it was HUGE, and almost went right through it...

It's worth a call to the company, if you have their name and number. In fairness to the gravel truckers, they can't very well know they've caused you damage if you don't tell them.

johnboy27
09-20-2009, 07:45 PM
The best way to get anything out of this situation would have been to be able to identify the trucking company and then send them a letter detailing what happened and that you will be expecting them to pay for the replacement windshield. Most times the company will come threw as long as your story is reasonable. In the situation you describe there is a pretty good chance that the rock did not actually come off of the truck as much as it come off the roadway as the truck passed over it and it got launched into the air threw no real fault of the driver unless he had no mudflaps on. If you were driving behind him and a rock flew out from under the truck it would be hard for them to argue that the rock did not come from the truck.
Legally a trucker has to be sure that there is nothing stuck between his dual wheels before starting his trip but while driving down the highway it would be near impossible to know if something got in there. Most times the rock come from on the frame rails and then bounce out under the truck. Again, at the start of a trip this too should be free and clear of debris. I got hit by one from a trucker doing 125 km/hr on highway 2 near Red Deer last week, first chip in a year and a half.
My company had a guy write them a letter a couple years ago complaining that one of our trucks kicked a rock the size of a softball threw his windshield on a private logging road . The guy was a rigger driving back from his rig on the private road that says "private logging road, use at your own risk" on a sign at the start and he got a nice brand new windshield out of us . The only reason the company paid him was to avoind bad press and to avoid the hassle of explaing things to the company that owns the road.

Zhariak
09-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Well I'm not looking for a freebie or anything. I know this kinda stuff does happen.... And on top of it, as far as I'm concerned, if a small rock or something gets picked up from a vehicle and chips my windshield it's the cost of driving a vehicle...

The reason why I made this post is just because whatever it was was REALLY big, and was flung towards me from traffic on the other side of deerfoot. No other vehicles were around me, and doing 100km/h with traffic in the opposite direction doing 100 km/h it's SUPER hard to turn your head and see what where it came from...

I'm just happy it hit the windshield. I can garauntee you this would have destroyed the body if it were to hit the body instead of windshield..