PDA

View Full Version : What have I missed?

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm looking at getting a new car in the spring, so I'm compiling a list of the models I want to take for a test drive into a database to help keep my impressions all nice and orderly. I'm mainly looking at sports sedans and coupes, I'm not interested so much in convertibles. I'm looking at a max price of the low $50k mark (not including GST etc). I've got the following cars on my list, and am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to add. Keep in mind this is new cars only, I don't care that I could buy a used car for less and dump cash into it for mods. I have another car for that, this car is a daily driver and must have a warranty. I have enough to do keeping the mustang going for track days without having to mess around with my daily driver as well.

The list is as follows:

Nissan 350Z
Nissan Maxima
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Mazda RX-8
Mazda 6
Lexus IS300
Subaru Impreza STi
BMW 330ci Coupe
Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Coupe
Acura TL
Acura TSX
Audi A4 Quattro Sedan
Pontiac GTO (if available in canada, might not be)
Volkswagen Passat
Mercury Marauder

three.eighteen.
11-11-2003, 02:42 PM
acura tsx?

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 02:47 PM
What's the difference between the TSX and the TL? I'm not super familiar with the new acura models.

rage2
11-11-2003, 02:48 PM
TSX is the euro accord. Fairly cheap in price for what you get, leather everything, Nav, etc.. It's one step under the TL.

The new TL looks really nice though :).

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Interesting. Added to the list.

max_boost
11-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Wow, talk about quite the extensive list to test drive. lol
BMW 330 Coupe is a good one.
You don't want coupes but yet have four on the list :confused:

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Wow, talk about quite the extensive list to test drive. lol
BMW 330 Coupe is a good one.

You don't want coupes but yet have four on the list :confused: I'm gonna be a busy boy in the spring ;) But I want to get a car that I'm going to enjoy driving for the next 5 or so years, so I figure the best thing I can do is try everything that looks even remotely interesting to drive and take it for a spin. I'm not interested in convertible sports cars (S2000, Miata, etc) but I don't mind sport coupes and sedans.

Primer_Drift
11-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Buy a poor mans porsche, 2002 boxter. Nice car list though. Personally if the 350Z was on my list I would wait for the Vert coupe.

Gondi Stylez
11-11-2003, 03:06 PM
BMW 330 Ci - really good!! my buddys mom has one and its sick!

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
Buy a poor mans porsche, 2002 boxter. Nice car list though. Personally if the 350Z was on my list I would wait for the Vert coupe. I wouldn't touch a base boxster if my life depended on it ;) I want a sporty car. But seriously, I'm not looking for a convertible at all, so that scratches the boxster from list before i even start, never mind the fact that its about $10k more than I want to spend.

max_boost
11-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Good thing about Euros, first three years of service is paid for. I believe this is for the BMW's and Audi's. Encompasses most stuff except wear and tear items, I'm still pissed that I had to pay $800 for new brakes on my 323 last year. That seriously did it for me on Euro cars, Japanese all the way! hehe

I love my RSX and it's a great daily driver but you are looking to spend more. My next target car would probably be a used IS300 but for you, STi is the best compromise everything considered.

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 03:30 PM
My next target car would probably be a used IS300 but for you, STi is the best compromise everything considered. Honestly, I think I'm probably going to end up in an STi as well, but I figure it can't hurt me to give some other vehicles a chance. You never know when you're going to find a vheicle you really enjoying driving from a manufacturer you hadn't really considered before. Besides, it gives me a chance to test drive a ton of cars :D

Hakkola
11-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Stay away from the C230 coupe, if you want a mercedes get something else, I don't think you'd be happy with this looking at the other cars on the list. If you're tall I'd stay away from the IS300 as well, I've never been so cramped in my life, interior is tiny. Even with the drivers seat pushed all the way back there isn't much room.

350Z convertable is already out, and it's very ugly, me and my buddy took some video of it, maybe I'll post it later, nasty looking car, very awkward.

How about a Volvo S60R?

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Stay away from the C230 coupe, if you want a mercedes get something else, I don't think you'd be happy with this looking at the other cars on the list. If you're tall I'd stay away from the IS300 as well, I've never been so cramped in my life, interior is tiny. Even with the drivers seat pushed all the way back there isn't much room. I'll make note of that. Being 6'-2", headroom is an important consideration for me.

Originally posted by Hakkola

How about a Volvo S60R? Unfortunately a bit more money than I want to spend, but an extremely intersting looking machine (statistics wise I mean).

5.9 R/T
11-11-2003, 03:44 PM
I would be very surprised if after driving all those cars you didn't walk away with a G35 coupe or sedan. For daily driver plus fun to drive nothing else on that list will come close IMO. I havent driven an STi but would assume that it's suspension would leave a lot to be desired on our rough calgary roads. Good luck on your search!

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Anyone have anything to say about Saab? The 9-3 is certainly a nice looking car, but I've heard lots of people have problems with them, and the handling is rather lacklustre.

rice_eater
11-11-2003, 03:57 PM
you missed the SRT-4...cheapest and an awesome platform with up to 400hp engine UNDER WARRANTY with the Mopar stage 4 kit for it!

T5_X
11-11-2003, 04:05 PM
I see every car on your list has the ability to come with a manual transmission :)

Personally, I would either wait until the new Volvo S40 comes out (T5 AWD model :D ) or wait to get a used S60R.

I am rather fond of the 9-5 aero. New ones are actually more expensive than a Volvo S60R, but they lose thier value extremely fast, there's 00s going for 20 grand in Ontario. As for the 9-3, are you talking about the old GM900 or the new epsilon platform? I had heard handling was pretty good. No reports of reliability yet. Another thing you may want to wait for is the SAAB 9-2, which will essentially be a luxury WRX.

Have you maybe considered a Subaru Forester Turbo or Baja Turbo? Those things move. What about a Mitsu Evo... and are we getting the R32 Golf here?

Anyway, from your list, I'd go with the STi, the G35 or the A4... the new TL is pretty fucking nice though too... Though front drive.

Hehehe, if you want to wait really long the 05 Subaru Legacy is supposed to have 280 HP :hitit:

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater
you missed the SRT-4...cheapest and an awesome platform with up to 400hp engine UNDER WARRANTY with the Mopar stage 4 kit for it! While the SRT-4 might be an interesting ride, I would put a bullet in my head before i dealt with a chrysler service department (and yes, for the first few years the car would be dealer serviced).

npham
11-11-2003, 04:14 PM
I saw the new Passat with the W8 engine it it. It's looks really tight. May not be what you are looking for, but it could be a good drive....

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
I see every car on your list has the ability to come with a manual transmission :) No slushbox for me ;)

As for the 9-3, are you talking about the old GM900 or the new epsilon platform? I had heard handling was pretty good. No reports of reliability yet. Another thing you may want to wait for is the SAAB 9-2, which will essentially be a luxury WRX.If I got a Saab it would be a brand new car (04 or 05 depending on when I buy). I'm not sure which year they made the platform switch.

Have you maybe considered a Subaru Forester Turbo or Baja Turbo? Those things move. What about a Mitsu Evo... and are we getting the R32 Golf here? I've thought about a turbo forester, but I don't really have use for the extra space the forester provides so I'm more inclined to look at an STi. If the Evo makes it here I would definetly take one for a spin. I don't know if we're getting the R32 or not, I'd definetly be willing to take an AWD Golf for a spin ;)

Hehehe, if you want to wait really long the 05 Subaru Legacy is supposed to have 280 HP :hitit: Similar motor to the Forester turbo, but uprated quite a bit. And its going to have a similar curb weight to the Impreza but a larger body ;) If they are out when I start to look I'll definetly consider one.

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by npham
I saw the new Passat with the W8 engine it it. It's looks really tight. May not be what you are looking for, but it could be a good drive.... Forgot about the Passat. Adding it to the list.

T5_X
11-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Can you get a manual with 4motion yet?

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Can you get a manual with 4motion yet? Tragically, no. And the W8 is out of my price range.

pinoyhero
11-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Hey I know your looking for new but I would like to mention, if you didn't know already that I have a car for sale that seems to fit in your target. It is a 2002 Acura TL Type S, all the benefit of a new car but you dont have to get beat up on the first few years depriciation or pay GST. Let me know by PM!

max_boost
11-11-2003, 05:10 PM
I also know that you are not looking for a roadster but since you are considering the 350z, why not buy my S2000? :rofl:

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 05:18 PM
No need to shamelessly whore yourselves guys, I'm not looking at a new car for at least another 6 months ;)

sandman
11-11-2003, 05:25 PM
well if 50 K is ur limit, id go grab an S14, swap an RB26DETT into it, :thumbsup: thatd b crazy powerful, fun drift too, or if not, then the 350Z :)

bart
11-11-2003, 05:38 PM
srt-8, 430hp, 480ft-lb torque. should be here next year, around the $50k mark. i like it, big ass rims too.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/09/srt803_03_800.jpg

bart
11-11-2003, 05:40 PM
but for a realistic car, what about the mercury marauder? i think the only modern muscle car they make now. its 45ish, i think it looks good.

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by bart
but for a realistic car, what about the mercury marauder? i think the only modern muscle car they make now. its 45ish, i think it looks good. And sounds downright awesome too ;) Would be an interesting car to take for a spin, has some interesting sleeper potential. It's too bad you can't get them with a stick. Might be an interesting test drive anyways. Adding it.

James
11-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I'm looking at getting a new car in the spring, so I'm compiling a list of the models I want to take for a test drive into a database to help keep my impressions all nice and orderly. I'm mainly looking at sports sedans and coupes, I'm not interested so much in convertibles. I'm looking at a max price of the low $50k mark (not including GST etc). I've got the following cars on my list, and am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to add. Keep in mind this is new cars only, I don't care that I could buy a used car for less and dump cash into it for mods. I have another car for that, this car is a daily driver and must have a warranty. I have enough to do keeping the mustang going for track days without having to mess around with my daily driver as well.

The list is as follows:

Nissan 350Z
Nissan Maxima
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Mazda RX-8
Mazda 6
Lexus IS300
Subaru Impreza STi
BMW 330ci Coupe
Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Coupe
Acura TL
Acura TSX
Audi A4 Quattro Sedan
Pontiac GTO (if available in canada, might not be)
Volkswagen Passat
Mercury Marauder

A friend of mines Dad has been in the market for a new car for the past couple months and he has pretty much test-driven every car on your list!, plus a few others for kicks ( M3's, 911's) :tongue:.....after soooo many test-drives, and re-testing etc.. ( it got really annoying hearing " my dad is buying a ___" :rolleyes:...he finally decided on a BMW 330ci coupe, which i think was a very good choice, with all those cars i really dont know what one i would take, good luck.

5gluder
11-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Just buy the STI, you know you want it:D Overall it seems to have the best handling at that amout of HP and TQ, although i could be wrong. Don't say you won't be auto-x it either, you can only resist for so long:burnout:

Paul
11-11-2003, 07:05 PM
BMW 330 Ci with the M-sport package gets my vote. Looks Killa'

jdmakkord
11-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by sandman
well if 50 K is ur limit, id go grab an S14, swap an RB26DETT into it, :thumbsup: thatd b crazy powerful, fun drift too, or if not, then the 350Z :)

Fuck!!! You and your rb powered silvia's!!!! Shut the fuck up allready!!!!!!!! Do a bit more research and then start throwing up engine codes and shit. Oh and nice location in your profile, you are a goof arent you?

/////AMG
11-11-2003, 09:14 PM
*snip*... and are we getting the R32 Golf here?
*snip*

Right now...no, just European market I am guessing. But if is it coming to Canada we'll probably see it in the next 2-3 years.

Originally posted by 5gluder
Just buy the STI, you know you want it:D Overall it seems to have the best handling at that amout of HP and TQ, although i could be wrong. Don't say you won't be auto-x it either, you can only resist for so long:burnout:

I agree, go with the STI perfect for Calgary weather, especiall ythe winter. I see you already have a 2.5 so maybe you want something different:dunno:? I wouls say maxima or G35 Sedan if your looking for sedans.

Originally posted by jdmakkord

Fuck!!! You and your rb powered silvia's!!!! Shut the fuck up allready!!!!!!!! Do a bit more research and then start throwing up engine codes and shit. Oh and nice location in your profile, you are a goof arent you?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

max_boost
11-11-2003, 09:22 PM
But your not buying for 6 months, blah.......:rofl:Another future what car I should buy/test drive thread :rofl:

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 09:25 PM
But your not buying for 6 months, blah.......:rofl:Another future what car I should buy/test drive thread :rofl: I did say in the spring in my first post ;) I honestly don't give a crap what anyone here thinks I should buy, I'm just looking for interesting cars to test drive before I decide. I'm going to start going to dealers and driving everything on the list, and whatever I like most I'm getting :D

max_boost
11-11-2003, 09:28 PM
I did say in the spring in my first post ;) I honestly don't give a crap what anyone here thinks I should buy, I'm just looking for interesting cars to test drive before I decide. I'm going to start going to dealers and driving everything on the list, and whatever I like most I'm getting :D I give you the benefit of the doubt unlike the rest of the unemployed turning 17 kids we have on here:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's a wicked test drive list man mmm......:thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
11-11-2003, 09:31 PM
I give you the benefit of the doubt unlike the rest of the unemployed turning 17 kids we have on here:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's a wicked test drive list man mmm......:thumbsup: The subie is paid off in the spring, which makes it a lot easier to think about getting something else ;) My dad is looking for a company car in the spring too (his current company car hits the 5 year mark as well), and his list isn't all that different from mine. So as an exercise in male bonding/dealer test vehicle destruction we figured it would save time to go to the dealers at the same time since we have similar budgets and are looking at similar vehicles.

Isn't the internet wonderful? I can research the crap out of all these cars without ever setting foot in a stealership :D

Primer_Drift
11-12-2003, 12:14 AM
I'd test drive any car once.. except a pt cruiser.. oh god.. what if the door locks broke.. gives me chills just thinking about it.:eek:

C4S
11-12-2003, 12:34 AM
:D :D

Get a good 1 or 2 yr old slightly used 330i (or Ci) keep it at $ 50,000 and you won't regart ! ;)

Or order a brand new "base" model 330i , even a base model, still offer you a lots of options !

Anyway, test driving is most important, may be a TSX can satifiy you, then you can save like $ 15,000 to $20,000 over other cars. :)

crazyning
11-12-2003, 12:43 AM
Honda S2000. Just buy the hardtop.

Mike1109
11-12-2003, 07:39 PM
You have $50K to spend on a car? Daym how bout swinging a job my way where you work. :)

Toms-Celica
11-12-2003, 08:42 PM
TL or Saab 9-5 Aero

Altezza
11-18-2003, 05:15 PM
I'll make note of that. Being 6'-2", headroom is an important consideration for me.

Lots of 6-footers on IS300.net don't seem to have a problem fitting in the car. '05 will bring a new IS design, but I doubt it'll arrive by spring of '04.

Go for the STi.

googe
11-18-2003, 10:00 PM
In alot of ways it does sound like the STi would be great for you, but I will tell you now, if you want to be pampered in any way, youre going to pick something else. It has very stiff suspension, you feel every bump on every road, as youll find out when you test drive it. Personally, this doesnt bother me the slightest. I sometimes regret having it because my insurance premium is totally asinine (may be another thing to consider besides the test drive, the sti is an unpleasant surprise for that) and I dont like the fact that im putting a small town through college every month, but every time you get in it you dont care about much else :D Its very fun, but if you value luxury in the traditional sense at all, you likely wont get it.

You should try out the Chrysler Crossifre though I think, Cadillac CTS maybe?

4wheeldrift
11-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by googe
In alot of ways it does sound like the STi would be great for you, but I will tell you now, if you want to be pampered in any way, youre going to pick something else. It has very stiff suspension, you feel every bump on every road, as youll find out when you test drive it. I drive race cars for fun ;) My kidneys are non-functional from the abuse of race suspensions. I want handling over pillow soft ride.

googe
11-18-2003, 10:31 PM
I drive race cars for fun ;) My kidneys are non-functional from the abuse of race suspensions. I want handling over pillow soft ride.

Right on, have fun in the STi :thumbsup:

Maybe you can school me on abusing the DCCD once you figure it out ;)

fast95pony
11-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Warren , will this be a year - round driver ?? Will you be towing the Stang with it ?? Do you need to carry stuff around ??

Will you be doing a lot of driving with it ?? Is fuel efficiency a concern ?? Do you plan on doing ANY competitive driving with it ??

Does it have to be a car ?? Perhaps a mid size SUV ??

Questions, questions....

:nut:

4wheeldrift
11-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
Warren , will this be a year - round driver ?? Yes.

Will you be towing the Stang with it ?? Do you need to carry stuff around ?? No and maybe. My parents and I have come to an understanding on the borrowing of the van, etc, so I don't feel I need a truck (for now, at any rate. that will probably change in the future).

Will you be doing a lot of driving with it ?? HELL YES! :D

Is fuel efficiency a concern ??Not really. Would be nice, but not essential, definetly not a primary consideration.

Do you plan on doing ANY competitive driving with it ??
Look who you're asking ;)

Does it have to be a car ?? Perhaps a mid size SUV ??I'd be willing to look at small to mid-size SUVs, but my preference is really for a car.

Questions, questions....

:nut: Answers, answers ;)

fast95pony
11-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Hmm...

Infiniti G35 Coupe ( Same as 350Z , but more luxury,comfort )
Mazda 6 ( good write ups )
Subaru Impreza STi ( lotsa year round fun ! )
Audi A4 Quattro Sedan ( great in winter )
Mercury Marauder (sleeper , not selling well = good deals , tow vehicle if required ? big trunk , wear dark glasses and pull over those crazy Beyond drivers ! :D )

Dahero
11-21-2003, 03:39 PM
the G35 coupe and the 330ci are my two choices.

The 330 is amazing and with winter tires is good to go in winter.

sputnik
11-21-2003, 04:10 PM
I would take a fully loaded VR6 Jetta.

ehos
11-21-2003, 05:27 PM
STI or EVO. The STI breaks your 50K mark by 2 grand I think.

EVO is still too hard to get into Canada (though I've seen a few clever people do it). Too much money for the effort, esp since the STI is available :)

4wheeldrift
11-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ehos
STI or EVO. The STI breaks your 50K mark by 2 grand I think.

EVO is still too hard to get into Canada (though I've seen a few clever people do it). Too much money for the effort, esp since the STI is available :) Sticker on the STi is only $47k. I personally am somewhat less than enthusiastic about the Evo, regardless of the minimal edge it has on the STi in handling. I've had bad experiences with Mitsus in the past.

googe
11-22-2003, 03:12 AM
Sticker on the STi is only $47k. I personally am somewhat less than enthusiastic about the Evo, regardless of the minimal edge it has on the STi in handling. I've had bad experiences with Mitsus in the past.

yeah but dont forget "delivery", the typical 15 surcharges, and best of all, GST. it puts it right at 52. :(

99SiR
11-22-2003, 04:36 AM
VETTE! best performance and handling by far. I'm not a huge fan of chevy but the new vetts are pretty amazing from what i've drivin and seen!

max_boost
11-22-2003, 06:33 AM
I highly doubt you are going to test drive the entire list of cars anyway

4wheeldrift
11-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by googe

yeah but dont forget "delivery", the typical 15 surcharges, and best of all, GST. it puts it right at 52. :( If you read my first post, I said I'm only interested in the base price of the car. I'm well aware that GST and everything else is going to bump me past $50k on probably 75% of the vehicles on the list.

Originally posted by maxboost

I highly doubt you are going to test drive the entire list of cars anywayWe'll see how much time I have, and whether I decide to test drive the STi first ;) After christmas I'm going to try and take a car or two a weekend for a spin till I find the one I like.

Mikko
11-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Mercury Maruader? :whipped:

Ford Motor Co. under the leadership of Bill Ford Junior really has a strong sense of humor. They first brought the GT40 back, styled it undistinguishable from the old car, then launched a new Mercury Marauder in year 2002 based on a 24-year-old platform (Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis) which still relies on ancient ladder chassis and live axle suspensions. To add more humor, they even drop the 302hp 32-valve V8 from Ford Mustang into its engine bay and call it "performance saloon" ! unbelievable.
Having to pull some 1900kg of weight, I will be surprised if the Marauder "performance saloon" really does 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds as claimed.

4wheeldrift
11-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Mikko
Mercury Maruader? :whipped:
Show me a performance sedan in that price bracket that weighs 2200lbs and I'll buy that? ;)

Mikko
11-22-2003, 09:39 AM
But come on - that is 501kg (over half a ton) heavier than a WRX, which is already pretty heavy. :barf: With a ladder-bolt-on-chassis, and rear live axle that thing is going to be loose, slutty, and not satisfy even the most basic demands for comfort and performance.

Just don't do it.. :( don't give your soul to the devil!

4wheeldrift
11-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Mikko
But come on - that is 501kg (over half a ton) heavier than a WRX, which is already pretty heavy. :barf: With a ladder-bolt-on-chassis, and rear live axle that thing is going to be loose, slutty, and not satisfy even the most basic demands for comfort and performance.

Just don't do it.. :( don't give your soul to the devil! Drive one before you mock it. They really aren't *that* bad.

Mikko
11-22-2003, 12:06 PM
I can't. They aren't sold here :angel:
The ancient chassis, huuuuge weight, big engine, and auto only, suggests that this is similar in fun level to SUV's for me. :) at least if one goes on my previous experience in 'fun'.