PDA

View Full Version : Best stain for new cedar deck?

kenny
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Been doing some research on wood stains and I can't seem to find any positive reviews for any products. The only thing I found was that everyone seems to hate Behr wood stains as they tend to last only 3-6 months (but I'm not sure if its just people using the product incorrectly).

Anyone stain a deck and can recommend a product to use?

Oz-
09-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I have a cedar deck, don't bother with anything latex. Stained at the start of this year and going to have to resand to put some oil based stain on there in May. At least with oil based stain you get more then a couple of years out of it before having to resand and stain again.

Behr sucks balls...

BananaFob
09-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Are you looking for a clear stain or a solid color? Either way I'd recommend going to ICI paints and taking a look at their Cabot line.

If you're going for clear, I would definitely, definitely recommend the Australian Timber Oil. Good stuff and looks great!

kenny
09-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Either transparent or semi-transparent. Definitely don't want to hide the wood with a solid stain.

BananaFob
09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Either transparent or semi-transparent. Definitely don't want to hide the wood with a solid stain.

Yeah go with the Timber Oil then. You have a choice of a few different colours that are pretty nice. It's the only semi-trans stain that I would recommend to any of my customers for a deck. Everything else is guaranteed to peel off once winter hits.

roopi
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
My neighbor used Thompson Water Seal on his cedar fence two years ago and it still looks good. Seems like a good low maintenance solution.

bignerd
09-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Used CIL oil stain, after two coats the color is more solid than anything but so far it looks awesome (done in July). Yes, I hate Behr but they do stand behind their guarantee/warrantly.

Like I said, came out more solid than I wanted but as long as I don't have to touch it for a few years I don't care.

blainer
09-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Sikkens Cetol SRD, expensive and only a handful of stores carry it however it is the best stuff I've ever worked with.
I know of several people that are on their 3rd summer of it and I'd say there is 2 more left out of it.

Site to check out colors
Sikkens Site (http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.cfm?product_id=58&product_category=exterior)

On cedar I like the Natural finish the best

silvercivicsir
09-19-2009, 06:40 PM
who sells the sikkens oil?

kenny
09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
The Cedar Shop sells Sikkens Oil.

I decided to go with the Australian Timber Oil. Did some quick research on it and people seem to be pleased by the results and durability. Thanks for the suggestion BananaFob :P

GOnSHO
09-21-2009, 02:07 PM
sikkens is also sold by benjamin moore

silvercivicsir
09-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey kenny where did you buy the Timber oil from? looks good enough for me..

Impreza
09-22-2009, 11:42 AM
The stain of my deck was dunzo after dinner. Most frustrating thing ever! Do I have to sand the entire deck to get the stain off before I restain?

kenny
09-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Hey kenny where did you buy the Timber oil from? looks good enough for me..

I got mine from CIL Paints on 17th. Was a bit pricey, so I hope its worth it! :)

BananaFob
09-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
The stain of my deck was dunzo after dinner. Most frustrating thing ever! Do I have to sand the entire deck to get the stain off before I restain?

Depends whether it's a solid hide stain or a semi trans or clear. If it's solid hide, no, you don't have to sand the entire deck, just where it's peeling.

If it's a semi trans or clear (most likely varnished stain or water sealer) then you're SOL and you will have to get all that stuff off for it to look remotely good.

revelations
09-05-2015, 01:05 PM
****BUMP****

Been thinking about this all summer long (too many other projects) we have an old (5 years) back deck thats PT wood in reasonable shape. Its south-facing but blocked by trees in the summer and not many leaves fall on it. Its light use-only (not daily).

Definitely NO to Behr (shit paint and shit wood treatment) and NO to Thompsons (wax) - any other recommendations?

Some people have recommended MARINE products, but not sure how they would stand for wear and it they are super slipper when wet.

Solid stains are fine - would REALLY prefer durability above all.

liquid1010
09-05-2015, 01:36 PM
I ran into the same problem last summer. I stained my deck with some cheap stain 5 years ago in a color that was supposed to resemble cedar. It ended up weathering into an ugly bright orange, and barely lasted 2 years until it started peeling and looking very ugly.

I ended up stripping the old stain (chemical stripper), giving it a quick sand, running it over with some cleaner/bleacher, and the stained it with a high quality Mesmers UV Plus stain. It's been on for 18 months and still looks great. Highly recommend it.

I used cheap Thompsons Water Seal for the fence, and the horizontal areas peeled within 2 years.

revelations
09-05-2015, 01:45 PM
More googling brings up products that contain Brazilian Rosewood Oil.

Matty_10
09-05-2015, 02:47 PM
If you want good durability your going to want something from the states as there VOC laws are different. Armstrong and Defy are good ones and Defy ships to Canada. Make sure to use a brighter before to open up the pores.

sputnik
09-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Boiled linseed oil.

http://www.swedepaint.ca

http://solventfreepaint.ca/cleaned_linseed_oil.htm

Tik-Tok
09-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by revelations
More googling brings up products that contain Brazilian Rosewood Oil.

I used Penofin (Timbertown carries it) for my cedar fence, and pergola over the hot tub, has Brazilian Rosewood Oil.

The fence went 3 years before I restained it, and it still looked decent before I did. The pergola on the other hand looks like shit, but thats likely because of the hot tub itself and the massive birch tree that's close by.

The thing about any outdoor stain, for either cedar or PT, is that none of it is maintenance free. No matter what you use, you can't expect for than 2-3 years out of it, with our constant freeze/thaw weather. Especially on horizontal surfaces.

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Flood products are quite good.....

http://www.flood.com/wood-care-solutions/product/2/details?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjrqvBRD6wf2fy-C61PIBEiQAUzKQTr94M50wakNCPp_ifuIC_uWdyuzKg9pQWi9uhXnG7cQaAiOi8P8HAQ

revelations
09-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I used Penofin (Timbertown carries it) for my cedar fence, and pergola over the hot tub, has Brazilian Rosewood Oil.

The fence went 3 years before I restained it, and it still looked decent before I did. The pergola on the other hand looks like shit, but thats likely because of the hot tub itself and the massive birch tree that's close by.

The thing about any outdoor stain, for either cedar or PT, is that none of it is maintenance free. No matter what you use, you can't expect for than 2-3 years out of it, with our constant freeze/thaw weather. Especially on horizontal surfaces.

3 years isnt too bad - I could live with that.

Sean7
09-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Matty_10
If you want good durability your going to want something from the states as there VOC laws are different. Armstrong and Defy are good ones and Defy ships to Canada. Make sure to use a brighter before to open up the pores.

There was a thread on Redflagdeals about those products, I guess the review site that rates them as #1 also owns both sites that sell the products so keep that in mind... Also, with the US dollar and the shipping they charge with customs/duty it can get very pricey when compared to local options (2x-3x more per gallon).

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Flood products are quite good.....

http://www.flood.com/wood-care-solutions/product/2/details?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjrqvBRD6wf2fy-C61PIBEiQAUzKQTr94M50wakNCPp_ifuIC_uWdyuzKg9pQWi9uhXnG7cQaAiOi8P8HAQ

I heard good things about Flood products too and they apparently have a 5 year guarantee as long as you follow the application directions. I'm not sure how that works with proving that you followed everything correctly or what they do for you in terms of the guarantee. They are limited on their colour options however.

I went with Sansin's DEC product. Its a Canadian company with some good reviews. Its more lenient on the moisture content of the wood since its a hybrid water/modified oils stain (I was staining a fairly new deck), you can get the product tinted to almost any colour and I got it locally for 30% off MSRP

kenny
09-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Just an update in case anyone is interested. The Australian Timber Oil was applied on my deck railings 6 years ago and I haven't reapplied anything since then and they still look great. Water still beads off the railing. Impressive product for the lazy :thumbsup:

revelations
09-11-2015, 01:26 PM
^ excellent, thanks. I dont expect that long from horizontal surfaces but it sounds 10x better than Behr or Thompson crap.

Sean7
09-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Just an update in case anyone is interested. The Australian Timber Oil was applied on my deck railings 6 years ago and I haven't reapplied anything since then and they still look great. Water still beads off the railing. Impressive product for the lazy :thumbsup:

Did you use it on the floor boards as well? How have they held up?