PDA

View Full Version : Tips?

Dodobird
09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey, I'm new here and just bought a 99 civic Si with a D16Y8 (I think?) in it, and I just want to know about modding it.

It's completely stock right now and I'm thinking mainly if I should just build up my D16, or just save up money to drop in a B16 or B18 down the road. Also I'm wondering if I bought some headers and exhaust, are those engine specific or car specific? I just wouldn't want to buy a new exhaust and want to swap in an engine, and figure out I wasted a whole bunch of money. Since I'm thinking I could just get an exhaust and headers then down the road swap in a new engine.

And if you guys could give me some examples of good mods that I could put on that aren't TOO expensive. As in no turbos (yet :D).

The car:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh304/milkwad/DSC02297.jpg

gpomp
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
d-series parts are not interchangeable with b-series.

Dodobird
09-17-2009, 08:47 PM
yeah i just realized that pretty much a minute after i posted this... doh!

but I'm still wondering about the swap vs. building what i have?

89s1
09-17-2009, 10:27 PM
d series motors are great motors for boost. Vitara piston setups are quite common now and are proven to well over 400 whp.

B-series has more potential, and will make more power given the same mods when compared to a d-series.

If you're planning on turboing you'll need to sell any header you buy. Exhaust too in all likelyhood. A good sized exhaust for n/a is not usually great for boost.

Dodobird
09-18-2009, 04:09 PM
thanks! I'm pretty much set on saving up for the B16 now.

but to make up for what might as well be a useless thread... would the B16 go straight into my car or would it require new mounts, ecu, etc.?

Nissan_Fanboy
09-26-2009, 02:33 AM
You will need B series Axles, Mounts, and possibly shift linkage.
Alxles are around 60-100 I think,
and Mounts you could get for possibly 60ish ? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Before you go with a B engine, i would look at upgrading the suspension. If you beef up a motor with no suspension parts, whats the fun if you can't put the power on the road.

A nice set of Coilovers should do the job, and don't cheap out. Tein or Skunk2 are very well known brands. Get some strut bars and a sway bar. Integra Sway bars work i think, i'm pretty sure somebody told me that. As for the B, i'm actually looking into a B swap ATM, plus coils and all the necessary suspension parts if i plan on going through with my build.

A nice exhaust would be a nice addition and would probably fit up to the B engine with little or no modifications. I have the Megan Racing Drift Spec Exhaust for a 92-00 2 Door Coupe and it Fits and sounds amazing. Can be a little loud but its tolerable. No raspyness or anything. A nice intake is a good addition too. Don't cheap out, get a nice SRI or CAI to free some air flow. You will get a nice tone and a couple hp'z out of it also. AEM is one of the better brands. A decent header will add some extra ponies also. I wouldn't look at a header if you plan on going turbo in the future.

Sorry for needless information, its 2:33 A.M. and i got nothing to do xD.

Dodobird
09-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy
You will need B series Axles, Mounts, and possibly shift linkage.
Alxles are around 60-100 I think,
and Mounts you could get for possibly 60ish ? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Before you go with a B engine, i would look at upgrading the suspension. If you beef up a motor with no suspension parts, whats the fun if you can't put the power on the road.

A nice set of Coilovers should do the job, and don't cheap out. Tein or Skunk2 are very well known brands. Get some strut bars and a sway bar. Integra Sway bars work i think, i'm pretty sure somebody told me that. As for the B, i'm actually looking into a B swap ATM, plus coils and all the necessary suspension parts if i plan on going through with my build.

A nice exhaust would be a nice addition and would probably fit up to the B engine with little or no modifications. I have the Megan Racing Drift Spec Exhaust for a 92-00 2 Door Coupe and it Fits and sounds amazing. Can be a little loud but its tolerable. No raspyness or anything. A nice intake is a good addition too. Don't cheap out, get a nice SRI or CAI to free some air flow. You will get a nice tone and a couple hp'z out of it also. AEM is one of the better brands. A decent header will add some extra ponies also. I wouldn't look at a header if you plan on going turbo in the future.

Sorry for needless information, its 2:33 A.M. and i got nothing to do xD.

Not needless at all! Thanks a lot man.

Tein coilovers (Basic Damper?) or Skunk2 Pro S, AEM short ram, and megan drift spec were all on my list actually. I just didn't really want to buy a bunch for my D and then figure out that i wasted that money. Then again by the time I've saved up 2 or 3 grand I'd probably not even want the engine anymore... And with that money i could definitely be buying a lot of the smaller things... Damn cars for having so many possible upgrades!

And what about control arms? Would they actually do anything noticable? Megan has a nice looking set.

By the way, I love your EJ, definitely a role model of sorts for my upgrades! Do you think you could you PM me or something on how you painted your rims? The videos on youtube are all fine but actual talking would probably help a bit more haha.

EM1FTW
10-25-2009, 11:18 PM
if your looking for a b16 i have one for cheap!