PDA

View Full Version : Best baby gear thread

ExtraSlow
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Ok, since we talked about starting a child forum, I now know that there are tons of parents on beyond. All you non-parents who think this will "clutter up" your car forum, tell the mods to give us our own sub-forum.

This thread is for the best baby gear, post reviews, questions etc.
I'll start.
- We have a Baby Bjorn carrier and it's very good. It's as comfortable as I imagine carrying 15 pounds can be, and easy to adjust for different sized adults and babies.

- Anyone looking for a gift for new parents should buy some of the Simple Simon pre-made meals. They are delicious, and healthier than most things that can be cooked so quickly. I suggest getting the ones with rice or potatoes, not pasta, as it gets a touch soggy.

- Looking for suggestions on baby gates, door knob lock thingies, and cabinet locks. We've had the safety 1st tot lok recommended to us. Safety 1st - Tot Lok Link (http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Products/Home-Safety/Latches-Locks/Details/110-71175-Tot-Lok%C2%AE-Deluxe-Starter-Set)

Masked Bandit
09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Stroller / Travel Systems:

If you've got a bit of money to spend, don't cheap out on your bucket / car seat / stroller system. We bought a fairly expensive Graco set up for our first kid, loaned it out to someone else for anther kid, and then got it back for our second kid. Kids are not easy on their stuff and this thing has held up like a champ through three kids.

im2fst4u
09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Picked up one of these nifty little units a few weeks ago and they work great!
Our little one is now 5 weeks old and a 5oz bottle takes under 2 minutes to heat to a perfect temp.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31B1MOokQ6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Then we picked up a couple baby audio/video monitors and they are without question a welcome addition for a busy family!
The camera comes with a nice little clip that can be used to easily attach to a bassinet or crib. (battery life sucks but they come with a power supply if you have an outlet nearby)
Great range, our home is a 3 level walkout and we get amazing reception from the top floor where the baby room is to the back of the house bottom level yard.
http://tech.smartcanucks.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/baby_monitor.jpg

hampstor
09-17-2009, 10:25 PM
picked up one of these at Sport Mart for $80 (reg price $100) - the giggles my boy has while we're riding downhill are worth millions:

http://www.weeride.co.nz/images/WeeRide%20Child%20Carrier%20on%20Bike.jpg

Install Difficulty: 2/10: time 10-15 minutes.
Required: 1 allen key, 1 wrench.
Notes: I found it pretty easy to install. The most time consuming part is placement of the child seat itself. I had to install the child seat, try to get on my bike, move the child seat, try again. It clamps onto the front of the frame and on the rear to the seat. That, and the time re-adjusting your seat as well.

Overall 8/10:
I find it a lot more balanced and natural to have him sitting up front than behind me.

Your seat has to be fairly low unfortunately, otherwise it's really hard to maintain balance with a 20-30lb child sitting there. On the box, the weight limit of the child is 40lbs.

Of course, I have a bike helmet for my boy as well. He really enjoys riding on the bike with me!

Edit:

I found this review about front mounted seats:

A variation is "front-mounted" child seats. They are very popular and have been used in Asia and Europe for decades. They are less common in North America. Many people swear by these because it is easier to keep an eye on the child and have a conversation with them, and get the child in and out with greater ease. The fore-aft position of the child affects stability. More mass over the front wheel is more stable than mass over the rear wheel. Therefore, a front child seat will be more stable than a rear child seat.

But, front-mounted child seat have some unique hazards associated with them: An object dropped by the child can catch in the front spokes, seize the wheel and cause a head-first fall, or be kicked back up into their face. The solution is to make sure that the child doesn't carry anything. In the event of a fall, in some ways the child is more protected than with a rear mounted child seat, but the adult is also more likely to land on top of the child. Child seats on the top tube can also create ergonomics and clearance problems for the riders head/body and/or knees. If the child seat interferes with the adult's pedaling motion they are arduous for long rides and may lead to knee injuries. Depending upon the frame angles, rise in the handlebars and the length of the bicyclist arms, the bicyclist may have a problem comfortably reaching around the child

Melinda
09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Haha I have a feeling this will be long. But based on our 9+ months of experience, a few of my 'worth it' purchases have been:

- The quinny buzz stroller/basinette/car seat combo. We love ours to bits. A little $$, but it's light, comfortable for baby (the seat is memory foam!), relatively easy to fold (not the easiest out there, but it's not that bad), pops up and 'builds itself' on it's own (there's a gas shock that does the work) and the bassinette works great flat on the floor next to a bed or whatever during those newborn nights when a tired and sore mommy doesnt feel like getting out of bed to feed the little one. The 3 wheeled system goes over just about everything (better than those plastic brick type dealies with the hard plastic wheels) They look neat too, we get TONS of compliments on ours!

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3024050&kw=&origkw=&parentPage=search&f=PAD/Character%20Theme/Buzz

- Our safety 1st video monitor. We ADORE this. SOOOO nice to be able to see our little man without having to peek in on him all the time. Was invaluable during sleep training and is nice when I hear him up and playing in his crib. I can watch what he's doing without having to go attend to him. Night vision works great, and it's high def video, lol.

http://www.safety1st.com/can/eng/Products/Home-Safety/Monitors/Audio-Video/Details/1878-08280-High-Def-Digital-Color-Video-Monitor

- Sophie the giraffe. Took a bit for this to catch on in our house, but it was well worth it. Lucas loves chewing it up, it's a fantastic teething toy. I dont know if I've ever met a baby who didnt love Sophie (as you can see by the 100+ reviews on the BRU website)

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2854311&camp=BRU_HP_FAVOURITES_ITEM1

- Our Chicco table seat. We have a very open concept house and a bar height dinning room table, so for reasons of clutter and ease of use, a standard high chair was not an option for us. We found this seat and it's incredible. Brings Lucas right up to our level, he uses the actual table to eat off of and he loves it. It'll fit him till he's 33 pounds, which for most kids is 2 years +. the whole thing is machine washable, which is great. The only flaw in this one is there's a gap between the edge of the table and the seat, so food often falls between the crack. This was fixed when we found the tiny diner, it's another miraculous invention: a placemat with suction cups on the bottom and a little bowl that hangs off the side of the table to catch the random falling bits. We have one of these in our diaper bag too for when we eat out, since the flaps fold in and the whole thing rolls up and secures into the little bowl. The same company makes a very simialr bib which is also really awesome!

Link to the seat: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2689922&cp=2567316.2582954.2689922

Link to the placemat: http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_tiny.php

- Aiden and anais blankets. Love them, can't say enough great things about them. Great giant size, soft and attractive materials and tons of uses. Especially great for swaddling in the summer and as your baby gets bigger. Great cover for breast feeding moms too. We use them now as a stroller cover when we're out and about and Lucas falls asleep.

http://www.adenandanais.com/

- Our fisher price papasan swing. We used this a TON in the early days for naps and calming lucas down.

- Jolly jumper. A MUST for any house with children. We had the one that had it's own frame due to our lack of door frames on our main level, but my parents had a door frame one and it worked just as well. We could easily leave lucas in there for 30-60 minutes at a time. Was a lifesaver when we needed to make dinner. We have a rainforest jumparoo as well, but lucas loved the plain jolly jumper WAY more.

A few of my epic failures include:

- The play yard/play pen. In 9.5 months, we have used this 1 time, and it wasn't even our kid in it. Our friend's kid used it to sleep in at our place. Once Lucas starts walking we *might* use it more, but I doubt it

- The sleep sheep. Dunno about some kids, but Lucas never took to this one at all. White noise has been our savior, but for us it has to be on all night. For that I just downloaded white noise to my ipod and we used an ipod jack in his room. THAT is great, but the maximum 45 min timer on the sleep sheep sucks.

- Shoes for babies under 6 months. We had a ton, thought they were cute, but they NEVER EVER got used. Especially having a winter baby, he lived in sleepers. I recently boxed up several pairs that had never been worn once. I've only recently started putting shoes on Lucas now that he's crawling everywhere, standing all the time and on the verge of walking.

- Buying just about anything at full price. I used to be one of those crazy parents who thought brand new=win. Now that I'm a little more broken in, I refuse to buy just about anything new. There are TONS (and I mean tons) of baby consignment stores in calgary, where you can get just about anything from clothes, to strollers to books to toys at sometimes 1/4 of the price, but usually AT LEAST half the price of brand new. I recently had to completely start over on a wardrobe for lucas (he hit a growth spurt and is now in a whole new size bracket). The entire wardrobe cost me maybe $80 at consignment, and that includes 4 pairs of shoes. Our living room has been converted into a play room and has probably $500 worth of toys in there for lucas to play with, almost all bought second hand and we spent less than $200 on it all. Craigslist/kijiji is also FANTASTIC for toys/clothes.

To the OP looking for baby gate suggestions: We just installed two of the kiddy guards into our house. They're really $$$, but because of our layout, traditional gates that swing out wouldn't work. (We tried the safety 1st plastic one, but we hated that one and spent a lot of time tripping over it). Love them, super user friendly and dont make our house look bad, they retract to the wall when not in used. We found them at Kacz' kids and they were $150 each.

http://kiddyguardgate.com/

Whew! Sick of reading yet? Don't worry, I'm done for now. Those are the few things I could think of, if I forgot to mention something, let me know and I can answer some questions about any of this stuff! There will probably be more along the way, but off the top of my head, there they are. A lot of our stuff is a little more expensive, but we generally invest $ into quality stuff instead of replacing cheap items over and over again. And I'm relentless with research, I research everything to death before buying it. Saves us from having buyer's remorse later on.

jonnycat
09-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
picked up one of these at Sport Mart for $80 (reg price $100) - the giggles my boy has while we're riding downhill are worth millions:

Notes: I found it pretty easy to install. The most time consuming part is placement of the child seat itself. I had to install the child seat, try to get on my bike, move the child seat, try again. It clamps onto the front of the frame and on the rear to the seat. That, and the time re-adjusting your seat as well.

Overall 8/10:
I find it a lot more balanced and natural to have him sitting up front than behind me.

Your seat has to be fairly low unfortunately, otherwise it's really hard to maintain balance with a 20-30lb child sitting there. On the box, the weight limit of the child is 40lbs.

Of course, I have a bike helmet for my boy as well. He really enjoys riding on the bike with me!

Awesome, I'm buying this.

hampstor
09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat

Awesome, I'm buying this.

Forgot to mention which helmet he wears : Bell Lil' Bell Shell - Red Baby Dinosaurs.

http://www.thebellstore.com/Other/bellbicycle/Lil.html
http://www.thebellstore.com/images/BellBicycle/LilBell/2008/LilBellShell_RedBabyDinosaurs_small.jpg

My wife couldn't find anyone in Calgary that carried it, so we had a local bike shop order it in for us. We paid $25 for it. I can't recall the name off hand of the place, they are in the plaza directly south across crowchild from dalhousie station.

Originally posted by Melinda

- Sophie the giraffe. Took a bit for this to catch on in our house, but it was well worth it. Lucas loves chewing it up, it's a fantastic teething toy. I dont know if I've ever met a baby who didnt love Sophie (as you can see by the 100+ reviews on the BRU website)

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2854311&camp=BRU_HP_FAVOURITES_ITEM1

Every sophie needs a sophie leash. My son kept throwing/dropping his after chewing on it - one of the beyond members makes these and sells them for a good price : my wife :love:

GoChris
09-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I tried a few different baby monitors.

And while the video is nice, it does not give as much piece of mind as the Angel Care monitor.

The Angle Care does not have video, but it monitors movement and heart rate. If it does not detect any heart rate for X seconds, alarms go off.

I'd rather have that than video. Helps you sleep at night. It has a sensor that goes under the pad that is sensitive to weight, movement and heart rate.

Melinda
09-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Every sophie needs a sophie leash. My son kept throwing/dropping his after chewing on it - one of the beyond members makes these and sells them for a good price : my wife :love:
Ah I forgot to mention this! Yes, Sophie NEEDS a leash. Lucas is at that fun age where it's a game to pitch things over the side of everything (stroller, car seat, etc) so we have a leash for Sophie (and every other toy, snack cup, sippy cup, etc). I think we have 5 of these things now. You can get them at www.bebt.ca and yes, a fellow beyonder makes them. Abyss!

Originally posted by GoChris
I tried a few different baby monitors.

And while the video is nice, it does not give as much piece of mind as the Angel Care monitor.

The Angle Care does not have video, but it monitors movement and heart rate. If it does not detect any heart rate for X seconds, alarms go off.

I'd rather have that than video. Helps you sleep at night. It has a sensor that goes under the pad that is sensitive to weight, movement and heart rate.
Be cautious though, those things are FAMOUS for false alarms. The one reason it was taken completely off our list of consideration. Nothing like getting the alarm going off at 3 in the morning, you rush in there yelling and freaking out only to wake a peacefully sleeping baby from a totally healthy sleep and in turn, freaking them out and taking forever to get both of you back to sleep! :( This is especially the case as they get more mobile. They can roll off the pad very easily at that point.

GoChris
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM

Be cautious though, those things are FAMOUS for false alarms. The one reason it was taken completely off our list of consideration. Nothing like getting the alarm going off at 3 in the morning, you rush in there yelling and freaking out only to wake a peacefully sleeping baby from a totally healthy sleep and in turn, freaking them out and taking forever to get both of you back to sleep! :( This is especially the case as they get more mobile. They can roll off the pad very easily at that point.

I'd rather have a false alarm than no alarm. Having said that, we've never had one, and it also works no matter how he is sleeping, or where in the crib he is sleeping. The alarm works great when you take him out of the crib and forget to turn the base station off. The monitor also has an alarm on it if it can't or loses communication to the base station.

abyss
09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Well of course I'd love to say all of my products are necessities! haha but the Sophie leash really was a must for us, I use it on his sippy cups and snack cups now to keep them attached to the stroller when we're out.

My noted "bests"

Mei Tai carrier - unfortunately I discovered this once my son was a bit older and we use it loads now, but for the next baby it will get used right away. It' nice to have so many options for carrying them, front carry facing in our out (though the facing out option shouldn't be used for extended periods), back carry facing in, hip carry facing in. It's padded straps are easy on the shoulders and the way you tie it helps distribute the weight evenly. It also makes a great portable highchair when we're out and about now. I just tie him to the chair and life is good. Amazing.

Sophie the Giraffe - My son STILL loves Sophie, easily the best $20 on a toy we've spent yet.

Pack and Play - Unlike Melinda, our little guy used his playpen a TON. It was his crib for the first 8 months of his life, and now whenever we spend overnight somewhere it's his bed. Since none of my family lives in Calgary this happens often. We have the Avalon "on the move" playpen for when we're somewhere other than home, it was $30 on sale. And we got another one with a bassinet attachment that he used as his bed for 8 months. It is similar to this one

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3257722&kw=pack%20and%20play&origkw=pack%20and%20play&parentPage=search&f=Taxonomy/TRUSCA/2510384

Robeez shoes - You don't necessarily have to get the brand name ones, there are a ton of knockoffs online and consignment stores sell them used as well, but Graham has been wearing these pretty well every day since about 4 months old. When you have a summer baby shoes that stay on are more of a necessity I've found, and by the time winter hits you want their shoes and socks to stay on. Babies constantly take their shoes and socks off and with the robeez it's almost impossible for them to do. Now that Graham is walking everywhere it's nice to have a shoe that protects his foot and is still easy for him to balance in.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3551535&kw=robeez&origkw=robeez&parentPage=search&f=Taxonomy/TRUSCA/2567270

The suction cup place mat that Melinda mentioned we also use often, it's a very good option for when you're eating out.

Some sort of play apparatus - different people swear by different ones between the exersaucer, the jolly jumper and the jumperoo (a mix of the two). I say you need at least one of these. We had an exersaucer and a jolly jumper, Graham used the exersaucer more, but still spent a lot of time happily jumping in the jolly jumper. The exersaucer is my life saver when Graham is awake and I need to take a shower. He'll STILL happily play for 10 minutes in there while I shower, this thing saved my sanity.

we don't have this particular one, we have an older model. Keep in mind you can find these things for a GREAT price on kijiji and craigslist, and they hold their resale value well if you want to sell them after your kid grows out of it.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3597986&kw=exersaucer&origkw=exersaucer&parentPage=search&f=Taxonomy/TRUSCA/2567270

I'll add more if I can think of any more, but for now, these were definitely our "bests"

lint
09-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by GoChris

I'd rather have a false alarm than no alarm. Having said that, we've never had one, and it also works no matter how he is sleeping, or where in the crib he is sleeping. The alarm works great when you take him out of the crib and forget to turn the base station off. The monitor also has an alarm on it if it can't or loses communication to the base station.

We unplugged that pad after the first day with our first kid and never used it again. Fear mongering marketing ploy really. SIDS was responsible for 0.543 deaths per 1,000, or 0.05%. And there is no evidence that SIDS is preventable.

TKRIS
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by lint

We unplugged that pad after the first day with our first kid and never used it again. Fear mongering marketing ploy really. SIDS was responsible for 0.543 deaths per 1,000, or 0.05%. And there is no evidence that SIDS is preventable.

Same here.
Then again, we, like any other parents, bought a lot of crap we didn't need.

Next one I'm just going to toss into a snake pit with a barbwire wrapped baseball bat. If it makes it out alive, it'll be just fine.

One of the best things to buy: New LCD TV. This one has the buttons kind of on the side and rear of the screen. Whoever decided that the power button (A button that no one has used since the first remote control became available in 1950) should be on the front/bottom of the TV, directly within a toddler's line of vision and reach, should be punched in the face.

Melinda
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
One of the best things to buy: New LCD TV. This one has the buttons kind of on the side and rear of the screen. Whoever decided that the power button (A button that no one has used since the first remote control became available in 1950) should be on the front/bottom of the TV, directly within a toddler's line of vision and reach, should be punched in the face.
So true. My parents have this TV and Lucas has fried one of the ports on it from turning it on and off so many times. My dad is kicking himself for initially encouraging Lucas to do it, he thought it was this awesome milestone for him to be able to pull himself up and hit the button all on his own. Now we've created a monster!

freshprince1
09-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Diaper Genie II is an absolute must.

10/10 - No smell at all - except sometimes you catch a wiff while tying it closed.

Every parent must have one.

http://gruntlings.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/screenshot045.jpg

adam c
09-18-2009, 01:27 PM
i wish i could find a picture, but my daughter absolutely loves her Mexx blanket
it's one of those small blankets that have a stuffed animal head in the middle, her's happens to be a sheep and whenever she sees it she gets so excited she shakes and gets the biggest smile on her face. I should take a video of it, it's the cutest thing ever

codetrap
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM

I personally wouldn't touch one of these. I went with the chariot system instead. The child is much more protected, and you don't have to worry about potentially fatal issues if you personally crash the bike. I can totally see the attraction of it, but I think the risks outweigh the benefits. The other issue is transmission of shock. This may not be as big a deal if you have front suspension, but I have to wonder about the physical impacts sustained in the spinal cord of a child that is transmitted straight up from the axle. You can have similar effects with a trailer, but I made sure I got a Chariot with suspension, and a nice soft cushy seat for her little bottom. Plus the chariot can be used year round, for a ton of other activities, then resold for almost as much as you pay for it years later.

codetrap
09-18-2009, 01:41 PM
An item that we just love, and Cassie has used since well.. since she could sit in it is her bumbo seat. It works great at home, and in restaurants even so she has a place to sit for meals etc that she can't easily escape out of.

Bumbo parts list... including tray for feeding themselves.. (http://www.toysrus.ca/search/index.jsp?f=Taxonomy%2FTRUSCA%2F2567270&kw=bumbo&x=0&y=0)

codetrap
09-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Forgot to mention which helmet he wears : Bell Lil' Bell Shell - Red Baby Dinosaurs.

http://www.thebellstore.com/Other/bellbicycle/Lil.html
http://www.thebellstore.com/images/BellBicycle/LilBell/2008/LilBellShell_RedBabyDinosaurs_small.jpg

M

We bought ours the Louis Garneu helmets that were at Costco when she turned 1. It's got great noodle coverage, and is very adjustable.

The link.. (http://www.louisgarneau.com/catalogs/catalog_product.asp?catalogue=CE9&section=HE&sub_section=032&style_no=1405632&type_catalogue=&language=ENG&website=1)

Its not the snoopy one, but it's pink too..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2522/3848304433_036fa2830a.jpg

codetrap
09-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Melinda, with the jolly jumper what I did was just drive a self tapping bolt with ring into the main house beam, and attach the jolly jumper to it.. that way she was centered in a area that was all tile, so easy to clean up, and we didn't have to be tripping over the frame all the time. I've left the hook in the ceiling so I can hang holiday decorations on it now..

This sorta shows the area...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3176732785_1de50b6fdc.jpg

adam c
09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
^^ i just got the jolly jumper with the stand, no need for bolts or anything, on sale at Toys'R'Us right now

Melinda
09-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Melinda, with the jolly jumper what I did was just drive a self tapping bolt with ring into the main house beam, and attach the jolly jumper to it.. that way she was centered in a area that was all tile, so easy to clean up, and we didn't have to be tripping over the frame all the time. I've left the hook in the ceiling so I can hang holiday decorations on it now..

This sorta shows the area...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3176732785_1de50b6fdc.jpg
Yes, this is actually what my parents did too. Our main support beam is almost near the front door though, still not in our main area. We had little options, but my parents did the exact same thing as you. Theirs hangs between their kitchen and livingroom, so lucas can spin and see either room, depending on where everyone is. They've left the hook there for subsequent grandchildren.

jonnycat
09-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Our Fisher Price Monitor has worked well for the last 22 months. It is fairly simple but it picks up the slightest noises that are audible on level 2, while max volume level is 6, which is ear splitting. Basically Lights and a speaker.

Our pack and play playpen worked awesome for different uses thought out the first year and bit. It was a travel bed, a room blocker, holding cell etc.

Must haves and biggest hits are large cardboard boxes and rocks,.

Wasted money on 75% of toys purchased. Kids into hotwheels and trucks now, so I don't mind spending money on those.

topmade
09-18-2009, 03:08 PM

I personally wouldn't touch one of these. I went with the chariot system instead. The child is much more protected, and you don't have to worry about potentially fatal issues if you personally crash the bike. I can totally see the attraction of it, but I think the risks outweigh the benefits. The other issue is transmission of shock. This may not be as big a deal if you have front suspension, but I have to wonder about the physical impacts sustained in the spinal cord of a child that is transmitted straight up from the axle. You can have similar effects with a trailer, but I made sure I got a Chariot with suspension, and a nice soft cushy seat for her little bottom. Plus the chariot can be used year round, for a ton of other activities, then resold for almost as much as you pay for it years later.
I go the chariot and that thing was $$:eek:$$ but IMO it's worth it. We push it more then pull on a bike and if I knew it before, I would of bought one a lot earlier. It's so smooth and can completely cover up your kids in case it gets a bit cold or rains. We have the double one and it's pretty wide, but what do you expect for two kids sitting side by side.

Melinda
09-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

Must haves and biggest hits are large cardboard boxes and rocks,.

Wasted money on 75% of toys purchased. Kids into hotwheels and trucks now, so I don't mind spending money on those.
Haha so true. Dont forget a toilet paper tube, a box of tissues and a water bottle full of rice. All big hits around here!

LittleAngel
09-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
Picked up one of these nifty little units a few weeks ago and they work great!
Our little one is now 5 weeks old and a 5oz bottle takes under 2 minutes to heat to a perfect temp.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31B1MOokQ6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I was bought one of these, but the realized that i have to use the kettle to boil the water anyways so i returned it and just spent the money on a cordless kettle

codetrap
09-19-2009, 07:26 PM
"water bottle full of rice" eh? Never thought of that one." Cassie's favorite toy right now is one of those baby doll strollers.. she's beating that thing around the house all the time. Of course, her other favorite toy is a little more... interactive..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/3745508068_c740abe25e.jpg

Every little girl needs a "pony" :D

D. Dub
09-19-2009, 08:03 PM

I agree -- suspending your kids head 4 feet in the air at speed is never a good idea

grwnded
09-21-2009, 10:29 AM
the best purchases we made for our baby girl is:

the safety first HD moniter (the one for about $80) it has absolutely no interference so you can actually hear the baby and you're not always fighting with miving the thing around due to static.

Bumbo--just buy one already, we use it all the time.

Diaper Genie II --as mentioned before,

just purchesed -- jumperoo , she's loves this thing, it's basically a combo exersaucer/jolly jumper,

clem24
09-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by topmade

I go the chariot and that thing was $$:eek:$$ but IMO it's worth it. We push it more then pull on a bike and if I knew it before, I would of bought one a lot earlier. It's so smooth and can completely cover up your kids in case it gets a bit cold or rains. We have the double one and it's pretty wide, but what do you expect for two kids sitting side by side.

+1. With a Chariot, a.) you definitely get what you pay for, and b.) you're supporting a Calgary company (even though there's Made in China shit all over the thing LOL). It's got amazing resale value.

If you want amazing value for baby stuff, never buy anything new. Almost 95% of our baby stuff is either hand me downs, or bought from a second hand store (like Once Upon a Child) or from a garage sale. The great thing about used stuff is that there's a great chance that it's hardly been used (if even used at all), and for stuff like toys, your kid will be interested in it for maybe a few minutes before they toss it away. Saves a ton of money this way. Only spend money on something that you think you'll use for a long time (like a good stroller, the chariot, carrier, etc...).

We're also on cloth diapers. We use Bamboo by Motherease. Great stuff and if you are patient and have the will, you can potty train your child really early (we started at 3-4 months) and save even more diapers this way!

Some responses to stuff mentioned in this thread:

Baby Bjorn: please don't buy these. The reason being that they support the child by the crotch. Enough said. Go with what abyss mentioned: a mei tai carrier (Baby Hawk is a very well known brand). Do research. There are a billion carrier options, and the Baby Bjorn is likely the worst you can get for your kid.

Robeez shoes: personally I think these are a rip off. First, they are expensive. Second, they are not good for walking because they don't provide any kind of support whatsoever. They are only good because they are cute. That's about it. I put them on my baby before he learned to walk just to keep his feet warm. But when he started walking, he'd walk barefoot in the house, or when we go out, put on some shoes that actually provide comfort and support. Also, the material they use (some kind of leather) for the soles makes it especially slippery on smooth surfaces like hardwood. A big no-no. Plus Robeez are ridiculously hard to put on with socks.

Baby monitors: maybe just me, but I think these are a waste of money. I don't need a monitor to tell me my kid is crying or needs me. When he's sleeping, I'll just go in and check up on him every so often to see if he's breathing. Not hard to do. IMHO absolutely pointless device. We got one as a gift and promptly returned it. Our kid is now 18 months old, and I don't feel I needed it one bit.

My own recommendations not mentioned on here:

Stroller: Maclaren. They are expensive but are they ever worth it. Like Chariots, they also have tremendous resale value. They'll last you a long time.

Fisher Price booster seat:

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2002&e=demo&pid=27475

We keep this in the car bring this with us wherever we go. We can attach it to any chair or just place it on a bench seat or even the floor if we're visiting friends. I like it because it's CLEAN, unlike all the disgusting booster seats in most restaurants. Plus it's height adjustable. Best of all, it has a washable/removable tray, so baby can feed themselves! Just pour the food on the tray or buy a suction bowl. This is probably one of the best $30 we've spent. Don't forget to bring a small bottle of dish detergent so you can easily clean the tray.

Car seat: Britax. The sweet spot is the Boulevard I think (about $350). It's got head protection. It's massively comfy. And it's so easy to install and even when rear facing, does not take up room. Goes from 5 to 65 lbs. Imagine how many years you'll get out of it, and if you think about it, $350 is not that much.

What I don't recommend: Anything Eddie Bauer. Oh gosh these are absolutely the BIGGEST PIECES OF SHIT EVER. No matter how I install our 3 in 1, I cannot get it tight. Loop through seat belt, through the hooks, forward facing, backward facing, whatever. Especially when backwards, even with the seat ALL THE WAY reclined, the "level" indicators were no where near level. I had the front passenger seat all the up, the rear of this seat touching it, and it STILL WASN'T LEVEL!!! IT'S A BIG WASTE OF MONEY. You can't put a price on your child's safety, so if you were to splurge on 1 single item for your kid, it might as well be the CAR SEAT. BUY A BRITAX and you won't regret it.

OK that's all for now. ;)

blownz
09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by clem24
What I don't recommend: Anything Eddie Bauer. Oh gosh these are absolutely the BIGGEST PIECES OF SHIT EVER. No matter how I install our 3 in 1, I cannot get it tight. Loop through seat belt, through the hooks, forward facing, backward facing, whatever. Especially when backwards, even with the seat ALL THE WAY reclined, the "level" indicators were no where near level. I had the front passenger seat all the up, the rear of this seat touching it, and it STILL WASN'T LEVEL!!! IT'S A BIG WASTE OF MONEY. You can't put a price on your child's safety, so if you were to splurge on 1 single item for your kid, it might as well be the CAR SEAT. BUY A BRITAX and you won't regret it.

OK that's all for now. ;)

That is funny, I have purchased a few different brands and I thought the Eddie Bauer ones were some of the best. Really easy to get tight in both of my vehicles. :dunno:

I do agree with you guys about the Chariot though, best stroller I have had aside from the size (I have the double one). Great behind the bike too.

speedog
09-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Been years since babies in our vehicles (although the teenagers still act like babies sometimes), but a good old 4 liter ice cream bucket with a roll of toilet paper inside and the lid on top proved to be a life saver so many times. Also always kept a pack of wet ones in the vehicle too - actually still keep all three aforementioned items in our vehicles.

Melinda
09-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Robeez shoes: personally I think these are a rip off. First, they are expensive. Second, they are not good for walking because they don't provide any kind of support whatsoever. They are only good because they are cute. That's about it. I put them on my baby before he learned to walk just to keep his feet warm. But when he started walking, he'd walk barefoot in the house, or when we go out, put on some shoes that actually provide comfort and support. Also, the material they use (some kind of leather) for the soles makes it especially slippery on smooth surfaces like hardwood. A big no-no. Plus Robeez are ridiculously hard to put on with socks.
Actually, I've read a TON of articles online that say shoes like Robeez are GREAT for walking babies. They are the closest thing to bare feet and walking in bare feet actually helps strengthen their natural arches.

And I disagree about them being difficult to put on, with or without socks. Sit your kid in your lap, pull open both sides of the shoe so the elastic stretches and put it over your baby's foot, just like putting your own shoe on. Might take a try or two if your kid isn't sitting particularly still, but I dont think both feet (shoes and socks) has ever taken me more than a minute total. I actually find the more rigid shoes infinitely harder to put on, cause there is no flex to them. You have to force an uncooperative foot into a hole that has only one way for it to fit. Makes it especially fun when your kid has their toes curled.

You are right about them being expensive though. I buy all of my robeez from consignment stores for less than half. They're usually still in decent shape and you get more off for dirty pairs, but remember, they're machine washable, they just need to be laid out to dry. After a wash cycle they look brand new! I also have two ebay sellers who make them (one is canadian) for about $8 or $9 a pair. We love them around here, and will probably only get "real" shoes once Lucas starts running around outside (especially in the snow or on gravel at the park/in parking lots)

Baby monitors: maybe just me, but I think these are a waste of money. I don't need a monitor to tell me my kid is crying or needs me. When he's sleeping, I'll just go in and check up on him every so often to see if he's breathing. Not hard to do. IMHO absolutely pointless device. We got one as a gift and promptly returned it. Our kid is now 18 months old, and I don't feel I needed it one bit.
Meh, when you have a kid who wakes up at the slightest bit of noise or new light in his room, a video monitor is your saviour. I also sleep with my bedroom door closed (always have) so hearing my baby cry through two closed doors in the middle of a deep sleep isn't the easiest thing to do. And when you're sleep training (not sure if you ever did this), I found being able to see what my kid was up to, where he was (especially now that he's standing and wandering all over his crib) has been nice. Clicking a button from my bed and being able to see him if I hear a noise is SO much nicer than having to get out of my warm bed and risking waking him up just to calm my motherly paranoia to see if he's still alive.

Not to mention houses with more than 1 story, I can't imagine nap time without a baby monitor while I'm trying to work or get stuff done around the house. He'd cry for a while before I'd likely be able to hear him.

Might not be for everyone, but they certainly serve their purpose.

R-Audi
09-22-2009, 08:35 AM
If anyone is looking for great bibs check out 'Messie Jessie' they are made in Edmonton.. and offer a lot more 'coverage' then most others on the market!

Messie jessie (http://www.messiejessie.com/)

Bought one for my God-daughter and friends daughter here:

Dragonfly Creations (http://www.dragonflycreations.ca/)

I believe they also carried Robeez and Bumbo...

Kritafo
09-22-2009, 08:48 AM
I bought gifts from this website for friends with babies. Since my all much older now.

But the portable fabric highchair is a must, these are great and they have huge improvements to what you could get 15 years ago, they fold up and you can take them without having to worry about if someone has a highchair.

http://www.babytravelplanet.com/

codetrap
09-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Car seat: Britax. The sweet spot is the Boulevard I think (about $350). It's got head protection. It's massively comfy. And it's so easy to install and even when rear facing, does not take up room. Goes from 5 to 65 lbs. Imagine how many years you'll get out of it, and if you think about it, $350 is not that much.

We went with the Britax Roundabout.. it's the boulevards little brother, but is still super comfy, and it'll fit into the back of the Jetta no problem. The Boulevard wouldn't unfortunately. At least not with my wife being able to get into her seat.. I don't think the boulevard was approved for Canada yet when I was looking...

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/roundabout
http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/boulevard

lint
09-22-2009, 03:40 PM
If you eat at chinese restaurants, this eddie bauer travel high chair cover is a must
http://www.expotv.com/Eddie-Bauer-Travel-Highchair-Cover/z-Oxq

only available in the US though.

abyss
09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I bought gifts from this website for friends with babies. Since my all much older now.

But the portable fabric highchair is a must, these are great and they have huge improvements to what you could get 15 years ago, they fold up and you can take them without having to worry about if someone has a highchair.

http://www.babytravelplanet.com/

Nothing pisses me off more than when we end up at a restaurant and there are no highchairs left. We just use our Mei Tai as a portable fabric highchair, it's virtually the same design without the piece that goes over the back of the chair (I just tie it to the chair and then use the other end and tie Graham to the chair as well). Products that do double duty FTMFW. The babyhawk mei tais are too stiff to do this though, you have to find a more flexible one.

clem24
09-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by abyss

Nothing pisses me off more than when we end up at a restaurant and there are no highchairs left. We just use our Mei Tai as a portable fabric highchair, it's virtually the same design without the piece that goes over the back of the chair (I just tie it to the chair and then use the other end and tie Graham to the chair as well). Products that do double duty FTMFW. The babyhawk mei tais are too stiff to do this though, you have to find a more flexible one.

I like that Fisher Price chair/table because of the inclusion of the table. I would not risk getting the carrier dirty if my son had to feed himself.

The Baby Hawk is great for a new born because of the stiffness but not so great for older kids as it's more of a PITA to setup. I think my wife has at least 6 variations of it. Haha anyways she's the baby carrier expert, not me so I'll just STFU now. She's on some Calgary Baby Wearers group (I think they have list on Yahoo or something) and she also participated in the baby wearers fashion show that was on at the breastfeeding challenge held at Eau Claire earlier this year.

abyss
09-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh, you also reminded me! Anything that can't go in the washing machine, dishwasher or can't be easily wiped clean (the leather Mally bibs are super easy to clean with a quick wipe) is a no-go for us. My carrier can be easily thrown in the washer and dryer, so if it gets a bit of food on it it's no big deal. What a pain in the ass to have your kid puke or get poo on something only to find out it's "spot clean only" or even worse "dry clean only". Queue giant fits of rage.

ExtraSlow
10-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Any suggestions for a space heater for the nursery? We like to keep the house pretty cool overnight, but out 4 month old needs it a bit warmer.
I like those oil radiator heaters, but I'm open to suggestions.
Link to Oil Heater Photo (http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50254733/Oil_Radiator_Heater.jpg)

ExtraSlow
10-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Also wondering about door handle locks for lever handles and bi-fold closet doors.

R-Audi
10-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Any suggestions for a space heater for the nursery? We like to keep the house pretty cool overnight, but out 4 month old needs it a bit warmer.
I like those oil radiator heaters, but I'm open to suggestions.
Link to Oil Heater Photo (http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50254733/Oil_Radiator_Heater.jpg)

We have a little Honeywell space heater for our bedroom... fairly cheap at HomeDepot, and programmable for temp and time...
Our house is a bit older and we use it in our room...

Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?langId=-15&storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&N=0&Ntk=level1&Ntt=portable%20heater&Nty=1&D=portable%20heater&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&s=true)

ExtraSlow
10-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Ended up going with an Econo-Heat unit after the recommendation of a fellow beyonder in the space heater thread. .
Econo-Heat Canada (https://www.econo-heat.ca/index.html)

Things that I like:
- It's a little safer, as the surface only gets up to 75 Degrees C, so no instant severe burns. Still not 100% baby safe, but safer.
- Attached to wall, so no danger of tipping
- No fire danger
- Takes up very little space.

I've only had it a couple of days, but so far I'm very happy with it. The thermostat is programmable and easy to use.

I should mention that my wife vetoed the oil heaters because she's heard of them "exploding." in rare cases. Sounds unlikely to me, but you can't argue with a mother about the perceived safety of her kid(s).

codetrap
10-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Why not just keep the house warmer? Probably cheaper overall.

ExtraSlow
10-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, we like the nursery to be around 20 degrees, and the thermostat is a long way from that room, so we'd have to set it to 21 or 22 to keep that room at the temperature we want. Plus, I prefer to have my bedroom around 18 degrees as a matter of comfort. So I'd be unhappy, and we'd be heating the rest of the house far too much.
Sure it'll take a long time to pay off the cost of the heater, but I'll be more comfortable, and have more control in the meantime.

KandabashiDevil
10-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Anyone without a Recaro seat is a bad parent :P

http://www.recarochildseat.com/assets/product_images/200/103202CRIMSON00.jpg

xxviet
10-11-2009, 11:56 AM
devil why not go big??!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/3043386083_14ab574819_o.jpg

Sparco baby racing seat! :poosie:

00redLUDE
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
^^^^^ Have not been able to find a website that sells these Sparco seats?!! Any links?

phreezee
10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry if it's been posted, I haven't gone through the thread.
This allows you to pre-measure and dispense formula powder quuickly, and is a major convience when you are out and have to mix a bottle:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411Ur9Z9UHL._AA260_.jpg

Melinda
10-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE
^^^^^ Have not been able to find a website that sells these Sparco seats?!! Any links?
They're not legal in Canada, so you wouldn't be able to buy them here and if you purchased on in the states and someone pulled you over to check your seat you could (would) be fined for not having a canadian certified seat.

J NRG
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Melinda
10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by J NRG
Can we trade police forces? The cops here run bald tires half the time.... you think a cop is gonna know which brand of car seat is illegal? (could be but c'mon...)
Not that it matters to a childless guy like you, but every Canadian certified car seat has a sticker on it saying so. Cops don't need to know individual brands, they just need to look for the big neon sticker saying it's legal.

J NRG
10-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Melinda
10-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by J NRG
Ooooo I knew it would have a label but i thought it would just be CSA. Is it still illegal to buy/sell used ones?

Knowledge matters. Period.

:)
No, but it is buyer beware. It's not recommended just due to the fact that you really have no idea what that seat has been through. You're supposed to replace any car seat that has been in ANY type of collision or accident, so I don't think I would ever buy a used car seat. That and they "expire" every 5 years, so buying used might be totally useless.

clem24
10-12-2009, 10:21 PM
You're supposed to replace any car seat that has been in ANY type of collision or accident, so I don't think I would ever buy a used car seat.

Yup. Got into a very minor accident. Hit the FRONT corner of my car. Fairly slow speed (like 20 maybe). I don't even think seat belts were necessary. No airbags deployed. Insurance replaced the baby seat.

00redLUDE
10-13-2009, 12:28 AM

They're not legal in Canada, so you wouldn't be able to buy them here and if you purchased on in the states and someone pulled you over to check your seat you could (would) be fined for not having a canadian certified seat.

Too bad! I'll just have to look at the Recardo seats then.

sputnik
10-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
Sorry if it's been posted, I haven't gone through the thread.
This allows you to pre-measure and dispense formula powder quuickly, and is a major convience when you are out and have to mix a bottle:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411Ur9Z9UHL._AA260_.jpg

Breastfeeding is even easier.

Boobs are the #1 BEST baby gear.

clem24
10-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

:thumbsup: Yup it's FREE, it's available anytime mom is there, it's nutritious, list goes on and on. But at the same time, it's a tough job and I also respect parents that choose not to do it.

jdmakkord
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE

Too bad! I'll just have to look at the Recardo seats then.

I don't believe Recaro child seats are legal here either.

Melinda
10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

I don't believe Recaro child seats are legal here either.
No, they aren't. At least not the racing look - a - likes. I meant to quote both of them but I guess I didn't click it.

abyss
10-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:thumbsup: Yup it's FREE, it's available anytime mom is there, it's nutritious, list goes on and on. But at the same time, it's a tough job and I also respect parents that choose not to do it.

Not free when the mom is eating like a pubescent teenage boy. haha

And I'd say as far as ease (since I've done both) bottle feeding is actually much easier/less painful/less work than breastfeeding is. Breastfeeding is just more convenient and readily available.

ExtraSlow
10-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Plus, breastfeeding isn't easier for everyone. For some families breastfeeding is incredibly difficult.

Melinda
10-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by abyss
And I'd say as far as ease (since I've done both) bottle feeding is actually much easier/less painful/less work than breastfeeding is. Breastfeeding is just more convenient and readily available.

Plus, breastfeeding isn't easier for everyone. For some families breastfeeding is incredibly difficult.
Agreed. There is a HUGE list of reasons why some women/families simply can't breastfeed. Formula works just as well!

codetrap
10-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Anyone considered an toddler mattress heater? Or something like that?

Melinda
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Anyone considered an toddler mattress heater? Or something like that?
Is your house THAT cold that you'd need a heating pad in your kids bed? They dont even suggest that for adults, let alone kids. Get your kid a sleep sac or some footy PJ's, probably a better (and just as warm) idea.

ExtraSlow
10-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Or a space heater for the nursery. We keep ours around 20 degrees.

Thomas Gabriel
10-15-2009, 12:28 AM

Agreed. There is a HUGE list of reasons why some women/families simply can't breastfeed. Formula works just as well!

That is entirely dependent on what is in the formula. Most formulas are absolute garbage. Feeding infants is not something to screw up or cheap out on - what they ingest during their formative years will affect them the rest of their life.

ZorroAMG
10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Great thread...some good ideas for the nephew!

GREENBOY
10-15-2009, 08:09 AM

Formula works just as well!

It doesn't compare to breastmilk in any way.

codetrap
10-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Is your house THAT cold that you'd need a heating pad in your kids bed? They dont even suggest that for adults, let alone kids. Get your kid a sleep sac or some footy PJ's, probably a better (and just as warm) idea.

It's not that cold yet, I'm just looking at ways to cut down on the bills. The sleep sac is a pretty good idea, but she might not stay in it very well. I'll talk that over with the wife.

Currently, I'm dropping the temp to 18.5C at night.

JordanLotoski
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Overall 8/10:

Edit:

I found this review about front mounted seats:

I have had one of those for 2 years...my daughter lovvvvess it.

hampstor
10-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

I have had one of those for 2 years...my daughter lovvvvess it.

Apparently, we both own and enjoy "unsafe" bike seats. :rofl:

Thaco
10-15-2009, 11:40 AM
anybody know wher ei can buy a diaper champ? cant find them in canada, the only place i foudn to order them online is direct from manufacturer, but i'd rather have a local store to go back to if there are issues.

kevie88
10-15-2009, 12:42 PM
I have a recaro seat I bought new from the US and I just recieved it. It's a beautiful piece of kit, very robust. I have absolutely no reservations about putting my child in this seat.

Recaro simply doesn't bother with certification up here, the market is too small..

ExtraSlow
10-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Isn't it against the law to use a child seat that isn't canadian certifed?
Not saying it's unsafe, but I think it's illegal.

hampstor
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Isn't it against the law to use a child seat that isn't canadian certifed?
Not saying it's unsafe, but I think it's illegal.

The use of non-compliant child seats may not only jeopardize children's safety and pose a serious danger to the public, but it may also result in repercussions such as:

•Confiscation of the seat at the border or after it has entered Canada;
•Fines and/or demerit point penalties;
•Reduced or voided insurance coverage for injury or death; and
•Possible criminal charges and/or civil litigation.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2007c09-menu-353.htm

& According to this it's a mandatory court appearance: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType44/Production/splquickref.pdf

80 - Seat belt / child seating assembly not comply with
federal Act and regulations C C

however, there is a proposal to harmonize US & Canadian Child Restraint laws...

TKRIS
10-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Breastfeeding is, at best, marginally better in a very limited number of aspects.
For the most part, the entire "Breast is best" argument is bullshit.

The vast majority of claims made about how awesome breastfeeding is are highly exaggerated from studies that show a modest difference, that can easily be explained (arguably better explained, mind you) by statistical confounding.
You can't ethically force people to breastfeed (or to not breastfeed), so everyone that's involved in the study is self selecting.
It's like the old wives tale that reading to your baby will result in them being smarter.
The correlation is there, but it's impossible to remove enough variables to prove causation.
There's no compelling evidence to support the idea that breastfeeding should be highly valued over formula.

Ultimately, if you are able and willing to breastfeed, great. If it causes some measurable amount of hardship to do so, go ahead and give them formula, because it really doesn't make much of a difference.

sputnik
10-15-2009, 02:31 PM
go ahead and give them formula, because it really doesn't make much of a difference.

I see it from more from the practicality side rather than a health benefit side. No need to mess around with mixing formula, washing/sterilizing bottles, warming the formula or carrying any of the necessary gear around.

Traveling with a baby or going over to someones house is just so much easier and you don't have to worry about running out of formula or anything like that. Want to stay an extra day or two? No problem.

As for the "physically able to breastfeed" argument. I would venture to say that there are only a VERY small percentage of women who truly can't versus those who THINK they can't. Some women are too timid to ask for help or have mothers with no experience in breastfeeding.

There are also many women who still find the practice unacceptable or embarrassing and use "can't" as an excuse.

There are groups like La Leche League that meet all over Calgary helping new moms learn to breastfeed successfully.

TKRIS
10-15-2009, 02:40 PM
From personal experience, I would say the percentage of women who can't reasonable breastfeed is not tiny. I'm not saying they're the majority or anything, I'm just saying it's not really very rare.

Breastfeeding also involves pumping and all that crap, which seems like a way bigger pain in the ass to me. Not to mention the effort required to maintain modesty while feeding in public, and all the other inconveniences.

I'm not saying your wrong about breastfeeding being more convenient, I'm just saying that I have the complete opposite view. Easy to transport, can make it anywhere, any time, the onus doesn't rest solely on my wife, powder doesn't really go bad etc etc, etc.

That's a matter of opinion, and whichever side you're on is perfectly valid. All I'm saying is that the people who claim breastfeeding is so much better for your baby, or that you're doing it some sort of disservice by not breastfeeding, are flat out wrong.
The amount of poorly informed, yet militant people who'll try to make you feel guilty about such a non-issue is ridiculous.

codetrap
10-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Breastfeeding is, at best, marginally better in a very limited number of aspects.
For the most part, the entire "Breast is best" argument is bullshit.
There's no compelling evidence to support the idea that breastfeeding should be highly valued over formula.

Ultimately, if you are able and willing to breastfeed, great. If it causes some measurable amount of hardship to do so, go ahead and give them formula, because it really doesn't make much of a difference.

I don't entirely agree with in that there's no compelling evidence that breast is best, however I do agree with you in that if you can't for some reason, then formula is perfectly ok.

I'm pretty certain there are a fair amount of studies and evidence that prove there is stuff in breastmilk that is not in formula that is very good for the baby. Hormones, various growth factors, antibodies.. etc.

TKRIS
10-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty certain there are a fair amount of studies and evidence that prove there is stuff in breastmilk that is not in formula that is very good for the baby. Hormones, various growth factors, antibodies.. etc.

The best studies we have show a marginal difference that's easily explained by self selection.
There's no compelling evidence that drinking breast milk has any significant advantage over drinking formula.

The only exception to this is in third world countries where things that are a slight nuisance here (diarrhea, etc.) can be a serious, or even fatal, problem.

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm just talking about breast milk here, not the pre-milk that's produced in the first day or two after birth.

ExtraSlow
10-15-2009, 03:02 PM
This is getting really off topic :hijack:

But I'm kind of pissed about the breastfeeling propaganda that is so pervasive these days.

Sure, it's better than formula, I'm willing to belive that, but this "information" campaign has gone too far. it's getting to the point that any family that is having trouble breasfeeding is made to feel like they are freaks because they can't do this "natural and healthy" thing. Combine that with the unstable mental state of most new moms, and you have a recipe for more severe postpartum depression. :cry:

My wife and I are lucky, we can breastfeed, even though it took a long time for it to feel "natural." We know several couples that cannot breastfeed, and the public pressure to do so is incredible and mentally cripling.

phreezee
10-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I seem to have sparked a breastfeeding discussion. We did it for 6 months, as well as pumping using a Medela Swing. But my girl had 4 front teeth by 7 months.

Everyone has a different situation and I don't judge anyone on their choice. Like someone else said, it can be incredibly easy or incredibily difficult depending on the kid.

Aleks
10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I was shocked to find out how much the Medela pump retailed for. We went to rent one and they showed me the msrp... $3100 :eek:

Luckily the rental fee is $80/month and it works really well.

ExtraSlow
10-15-2009, 03:42 PM
We bought a Medela "pump in style" from WeeFeed. Great people to deal with, and same day delivery to your house. A godsend if you've left it too late and need a pump NOW!!

freshprince1
10-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Sometimes breast feeding just doesn't work. Our first kid breast fed for 8 months, no problem. Our new little guy fed great for 2 months then decided he didn't want it anymore. He'd eat for 2 minutes then start crying. His ears are fine, doctor says sometimes they just don't like it. So we were forced to switch to a bottle. He's doing fine, he's stillin the 95th percentile for his size and weight. I wish he was still on the boob though, that formula is expensive, we spend over $30/week!

We are huge proponents of breast feeding, if one is able, and the baby is willing.

SilverGS
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
We would like to get a video monitoring system.

Any other suggestions on video monitors?

Currently considering the Graco iMonitor video vibe but would like one with a bigger screen.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
We bought this one, and it's pretty good. works in total darkness, presumably through infrared.
Safety 1st High Definition digital video monitor (http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3037398&kw=&origkw=&parentPage=search&f=PAD/Brand%20Name%20Secondary/Safety%201st)
Only gripe is the weak battery life on the handset. We just keep ours plugged in when it's seeing heavy use, like when the grandparents are over and want to watch her sleep.

Melinda
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
We bought this one, and it's pretty good. works in total darkness, presumably through infrared.
Safety 1st High Definition digital video monitor (http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3037398&kw=&origkw=&parentPage=search&f=PAD/Brand%20Name%20Secondary/Safety%201st)
Only gripe is the weak battery life on the handset. We just keep ours plugged in when it's seeing heavy use, like when the grandparents are over and want to watch her sleep.
We have this one as well. We adore it. Battery life is low in video mode but in sound mode only it lasts a long time. And yes, it's IR. Not hig def in dark mode, but in the day time it is high def.