PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or does every bolt on integra's snap??

TT-fast
09-17-2009, 10:08 PM
so today i was at the shop at work with a mechanic installing a set of tein ss super street coil overs on my 96 integra rs and just as we are taking of the last strut the bolt snaps on the rear drivers end. we drilled it, vice gripped it, air chiseler it, and everything else possible and it didn't come out so we are just gona remove the whole bushing and the screw and buy a new one tomorrow.

the funny thing is my rear driver side strut is sitting on the lower control arm with no bolt in the parking lot hahahah sketchy or what??

and when i was doing my exhaust my bolt snapped in between the tailpipe and the mid pipe and one bolt snapped on my brake caliper.

lol just seeing Wat everyone's thoughts might be.... mostly on the coil over dilemma.

Joe-G
09-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Like i told you, its nothing new. LCA bolts, 9/10 times ALWAYS snap if they've never been removed from factory.

rizfarmer
09-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G
Like i told you, its nothing new. LCA bolts, 9-10 times ALWAYS snap if they've never been removed from factory.

yup just snapped the head off mine last weekend; and all i wanted to do was replace the fucking strut:banghead: which turned into a whole new LCA + strut

G-ZUS
09-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Like i told you, its nothing new. LCA bolts, 9/10 times ALWAYS snap if they've never been removed from factory.

Happened on my old 97 civic too :rofl:

Deetz
09-18-2009, 12:17 AM
It is indeed common on civic and integra's. I am always replacing them with new oem bolts, and a thin coat of anti seize paste, problem solved, even down the road years later.

2EFNFAST
09-18-2009, 12:56 AM

Uhhhhhh, all the LCA bolts on my cars are either grade 8 or 10.9 (grade 8 metric)

Joe-G
09-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Uhhhhhh, all the LCA bolts on my cars are either grade 8 or 10.9 (grade 8 metric)

Okay.... And your point is?

2EFNFAST
09-18-2009, 01:33 AM

Okay.... And your point is?

What grade are the ones you have? Stainless steel? ~gigglez~

Mr_ET
09-18-2009, 06:24 AM
I snap some of those almost on a weekly basis lol

Ferio_vti
09-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Does soaking the bolt in liquid wrench ever help?

m10-power
09-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Does soaking the bolt in liquid wrench ever help?

Yes and heat, and don't use impact tools to remove them.

88CRX
09-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Soak it several times over a couple days.

A2VR6
09-18-2009, 07:16 PM
This might help for future use... found this post off vwvortex.

Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

-Jay21-
09-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by TT-fast
so today i was at the shop at work with a mechanic installing a set of tein ss super street coil overs on my 96 integra rs and just as we are taking of the last strut the bolt snaps on the rear drivers end. we drilled it, vice gripped it, air chiseler it, and everything else possible and it didn't come out so we are just gona remove the whole bushing and the screw and buy a new one tomorrow.

the funny thing is my rear driver side strut is sitting on the lower control arm with no bolt in the parking lot hahahah sketchy or what??

and when i was doing my exhaust my bolt snapped in between the tailpipe and the mid pipe and one bolt snapped on my brake caliper.

lol just seeing Wat everyone's thoughts might be.... mostly on the coil over dilemma.

Abel, your car hates me. I work on old rusted cars all the time and never run into things that your car throws at me.

2EFNFAST
09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I snap some of those almost on a weekly basis lol

What grade are they?

Joe-G
09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Stock Honda bolts are grade 10 i believe. Yes they're strong, but if they havent been removed for a long time, they eventually seize.

revelations
09-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Soak it several times over a couple days.

:werd:

I put my car on jacks and do a few pre-soaks a couple of days before going to U wrench or working on it at my condo parkade :burnout:

TT-fast
09-19-2009, 12:13 PM
haha the funny thing is i have to buy new lower rear control arms now. and they are coming in Monday. haha sorry jay wait till i get a jdm then our problems will be solved.

Joe i don't remember u telling me that my bolts would snap, even though we used tons of penetrating fluid.

Deetz
09-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by TT-fast
haha the funny thing is i have to buy new lower rear control arms now. and they are coming in Monday.

pm'd

Joe-G
09-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I thought i did, didn't i?

Thats why i didnt take up your offer of $20 to install your suspension. hahaha LOL :nut::rofl:

Well, looks like you have to order new LCAs. Might as well go aftermarket.

Redlyne_mr2
09-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Where do you buy just acetone?

realazy
09-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

They sell 100% pure acetone at Walmart. It's a professional strength nail polish remover with no other additives.

Other than that, I don't know.

mazda_maniac
09-19-2009, 03:39 PM
They also sell big cans at Totem and Home depot.

TT-fast
09-20-2009, 10:43 AM
the whole twenty dollar thing was a joke, but was funny, i don't really think aftermarket lca's are going to show much a difference compared to oem ones

mr2mike
09-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Why do you need it? Planning on working on thinmyster's brakes?

I've had one bolt break on my Toyota. Ext manifold bolt. Otherwise, I've either been lucky or take the precautions and use WD-40.

But then again, I buy Cali cars with zero rust. Even JDM's have a wierd sort of salt residue that can mess up the threads. I find. It doesn't seize them like rust but I still WD-40 then impact wrench them off. I think the WD-40 dissolves the salt brine into a liquid so they don't jam up in the threads.