PDA

View Full Version : Pinoy Foods in NE TnT Food Court

cdnsir
09-18-2009, 01:50 PM
So I was at TnT in the NE to pick up some lunch right. And I noticed half the food court were now serving Pinoy food! The old grill, donair, and coffee places are all selling them now.

I was tempted to try something, but the menu is kinda tricky. Some do have pictures, and some do have words (Filipino in English pronunciation but didn't explain what it really is), but they're never together so it's kinda overwhelming to make sense of it all. LOL

I see mostly stews and even what I think is the Banana Ketchup Spaghetti that the other thread was mentioning. Anyone been there lately, and any tips on what to order and what to stay away from? :)

nonlinear
09-18-2009, 03:20 PM
i was in there last week, but was kinda overwhelmed by the menu so didn't eat there. that would be awesome if they had banana ketchup spaghetti, though.

anyone have recommendations for what to get there?

DENZILDON
09-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Here's some, not been there in awhile so I'm not sure what else they have but here are the common ones. Again all of these are only good with rice. :D

The everybody can eat ones...

Afritada - chicken tomato based

Sinigang - pork or beef but most of the time pork, there is also a fish variant. Tamarid soup based with leafy veggies so it's sour. This is my all time favorite.

Nilaga - Beef and almost the same with sinigang without the sour soup.

Tinola - chicken with ginger based soup. Was considered a rich mans dish back during the spanish occupation of the philippines. Had it last night

Adobo - Chicken cooked with vinegar and soy sauce. Everyone likes this. Easy to cook, search adobo in youtube and you'll find an american speaking in filipino teaching how to cook it.

Beef Tapa or Tapsilog - served with egg and fried rice

kare- Kare - beef and or ox tail in peanut sauce.

Kalderetang baka - beef stew, has a couple of variants all over the country. I like the spicy one with liverspread.

Longganisa - filipino sausages, awesome with tomatoes or vinegar.

Mechado - beef cooked in tomato sauce and spices.

Menudo - pork and liver dish in tomato sauce.

bistek - pork or beef (bistek) Beef steak Filipino style. Not really the same as the north american steak but it's still good.

sweet and sour pork - fried pork topped with sweet-sour pineapple sauce. I think it has more sauce that the chinese dish.

Bicol Express - vegetables & chili peppers cooked in coconut milk - hot! Bicol is a reqion in PI.

Chopsuey - sautéed mixed vegetables. sometimes with shrimp, pork, liver, etc.

Ginataang kalabasa - squash cooked in coconut milk.

Laing - taro leaves cooked in coconut milk with jalapeño peppers.

Pinakbet - mixed vegetables and pork stew cooked with bagoong (anchovies).

Pansit bihon - a thin white rice noodle dish with chicken, scallions, carrots, soy sauce...

Pansit Canton - egg noodle dish with chicken, vegetables, shrimp and Chinese sausage

Pansit Palabok - rice flour noodles topped with crab sauce, eggs, shrimps, squid, garlic...

Print this then go to TNT. if you guys try it out and if you don't like it, try out the dish from a different place or at a filipino friends house. Each cook or household will normally have some sort of a different variant or taste.

nonlinear
09-18-2009, 04:19 PM
^^hey, that's awesome man!!! thanks so much! :thumbsup:

DENZILDON
09-18-2009, 04:27 PM
no worries. I actually cooked the filipino spaghetti last weekend after I read it here.

Just like mama make it.

flipstah
09-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
Here's some, not been there in awhile so I'm not sure what else they have but here are the common ones. Again all of these are only good with rice. :D

You totally forgot Halo-halo (from Tagalog word halo, "mix")! - A popular Filipino dessert that is a mixture of shaved ice and milk to which are added various boiled sweet beans and fruits, and served cold in a tall glass or bowl.

Lechon - Roasted Pig. So simple. So delicious.

Dinuguan - stew of blood and meat simmered in a rich, spicy gravy of pig blood, garlic, chili and vinegar.

Balut - 2 to 3 week-old hatched duck egg (with embryo), which is hard- boiled.

Taho - made up of soft beancurd which is the taho itself, dark caramel syrup called "arnibal", and tapioca pearls with cold (dark syrup); Taho is derived from the original Chinese snack food known as douhua.

There are many more to list but most of the dishes are derivatives of Spanish, American and/or Chinese cuisine.

cdnsir
09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks to the list I went there and ordered something today! Had a 2-dish combo to try out a couple of things. I ordered the Kare-Kare and Dinuguan.

The Kare-Kare I wasn't to impressed with. I think it's poor variation that was done by the cook. They replaced the suggested ox tail with pork hock instead. From looking at it, it almost looks like pork with curry sauce. But if you taste it, the sauce was VERY greasy yet it tasted really bland, no spice at all. This is a big :thumbsdow for me.

The Dinuguan on the other hand was excellent! A bunch of small pieces of meats (I saw pork bits and intestants) in the pork blood which all in all, looks like black bean soup... I've always eaten pork blood that has been coagulated. It was very interesting to see it in its cooked liquid form. Anyway, the vinegar and seasoning really brought out the ingredients well. Loved it, will be getting this again! :thumbsup:

One other surprise was they gave me his pink shrimp paste on the side. Now that stuff was awesome! I can prolly eat the entire plate of rice with that alone!!! LOL

http://www3.telus.net/public/big.con/shared/IMG00033.jpg

Next dish on my list, adobo!

Graham_A_M
09-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

Afritada - chicken tomato based

Sinigang - pork or beef but most of the time pork, there is also a fish variant. Tamarid soup based with leafy veggies so it's sour. This is my all time favorite.

Nilaga - Beef and almost the same with sinigang without the sour soup.

Tinola - chicken with ginger based soup. Was considered a rich mans dish back during the spanish occupation of the philippines. Had it last night

Adobo - Chicken cooked with vinegar and soy sauce. Everyone likes this. Easy to cook, search adobo in youtube and you'll find an american speaking in filipino teaching how to cook it.

Beef Tapa or Tapsilog - served with egg and fried rice

kare- Kare - beef and or ox tail in peanut sauce.

Kalderetang baka - beef stew, has a couple of variants all over the country. I like the spicy one with liverspread.

Longganisa - filipino sausages, awesome with tomatoes or vinegar.

Mechado - beef cooked in tomato sauce and spices.

Menudo - pork and liver dish in tomato sauce.

bistek - pork or beef (bistek) Beef steak Filipino style. Not really the same as the north american steak but it's still good.

sweet and sour pork - fried pork topped with sweet-sour pineapple sauce. I think it has more sauce that the chinese dish.

Bicol Express - vegetables & chili peppers cooked in coconut milk - hot! Bicol is a reqion in PI.

Chopsuey - sautéed mixed vegetables. sometimes with shrimp, pork, liver, etc.

Ginataang kalabasa - squash cooked in coconut milk.

Laing - taro leaves cooked in coconut milk with jalapeño peppers.

Pinakbet - mixed vegetables and pork stew cooked with bagoong (anchovies).

Pansit bihon - a thin white rice noodle dish with chicken, scallions, carrots, soy sauce...

Pansit Canton - egg noodle dish with chicken, vegetables, shrimp and Chinese sausage

Pansit Palabok - rice flour noodles topped with crab sauce, eggs, shrimps, squid, garlic...

Print this then go to TNT. if you guys try it out and if you don't like it, try out the dish from a different place or at a filipino friends house. Each cook or household will normally have some sort of a different variant or taste.

Thank you. Thats exactly what a Cracka like me needs to know.
I almost hate going in there since I have *NO IDEA* what half that stuff is. So I just walk out with instant noodles, spices & fruit drinks

:rofl: :rofl:

jav_
09-25-2009, 10:59 PM
u guys forgot to mention tocino!:drool:

pinoyboy88
09-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by jav_
u guys forgot to mention tocino!:drool:

Hahaha i was just about to mention that too. Its cured pork, taste kinda sweet when cooked. You can get frozen ones inside tnt and loganisa as well.

flipstah
09-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
Thanks to the list I went there and ordered something today! Had a 2-dish combo to try out a couple of things. I ordered the Kare-Kare and Dinuguan.

The Kare-Kare I wasn't to impressed with. I think it's poor variation that was done by the cook. They replaced the suggested ox tail with pork hock instead. From looking at it, it almost looks like pork with curry sauce. But if you taste it, the sauce was VERY greasy yet it tasted really bland, no spice at all. This is a big :thumbsdow for me.

The Dinuguan on the other hand was excellent! A bunch of small pieces of meats (I saw pork bits and intestants) in the pork blood which all in all, looks like black bean soup... I've always eaten pork blood that has been coagulated. It was very interesting to see it in its cooked liquid form. Anyway, the vinegar and seasoning really brought out the ingredients well. Loved it, will be getting this again! :thumbsup:

One other surprise was they gave me his pink shrimp paste on the side. Now that stuff was awesome! I can prolly eat the entire plate of rice with that alone!!! LOL

Next dish on my list, adobo!

Sounds delish! The kare-kare is actually a bit better if you eat it with the pink shrimp sautee. It's actually its compliment dish. :rofl:

Dinuguan is always good and I love it when white people think it's 'chocolate meat.' Good times...

cdnsir
09-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Sounds delish! The kare-kare is actually a bit better if you eat it with the pink shrimp sautee.

Oh no wonder the shrimp was so salty! And here I thought I got it all figured out when I starting mixing it in with the rice... LOL!!!

JordanEG6
09-26-2009, 04:29 PM

My favorite dish.
Goes great with:

Torta - fried egg omelette with ground beef, diced potatos and a little onion.

nj2Type-S
09-27-2009, 12:18 PM
yeah, dude! you're supposed to eat the shrimp paste WITH the kare kare. it's like eating mac & cheese w/o the cheese.

try 'lechon paksiw' next time...i love that stuff, hehe.