PDA

View Full Version : Caught with knife at the airport

prodigydud
09-19-2009, 08:55 AM
So, I just went throught the airport security, and I completely forgot that I had a pocket knife in my bag...lol
I usually use this bag for camping, but I didn't bother to empty this bag out before I packed this time..

Anyways, they asked if I wanted to store the knife or send it home or discard it. So I discarded it

Then they wrote my name and destination on some list?!? Does anyone know what this list is used for??? Am I blacklisted???

Has this happened to anyone on Beyond?

B20EF
09-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Happened to me in Vietnam. I forgot a had a six inch folding blade in my carry-on I'd been using for cutting fruit. Same deal, they took the knife wrote down my information and that was it.
I thought I was going to a Vietnamese jail, but that was it and I've flown many times since without question.

spike98
09-19-2009, 09:02 AM
If they asked you what you wanted to do with it instead of detaining you and inspecting your corn hole i think you have nothing to worry about.

Tik-Tok
09-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by prodigydud
S
Then they wrote my name and destination on some list?!? Does anyone know what this list is used for??? Am I blacklisted???

You aren't blacklisted, but you are now on a watch list.

InLoveWitRSX
09-19-2009, 09:18 AM
im sure they wrote your info down just incase anything happens then they know you were responsible. :poosie:

97'Scort
09-19-2009, 12:05 PM
I had one of those miniscule 1.5" swiss army keychain things, and they took that from me. It had been on my keys forever, didn't even think about it.

They didn't take my lighter though, haha.

mycroftxxx
09-19-2009, 12:35 PM
heh, when I was 12 I was pulled aside for having a shuriken in my bag. a couple days before I left japan I bought some last minute tourist crap from a gift shop in a buddhist temple or something. one of which was a shuriken, it had no sharp edges and it was made out of some crappy black steel, I tossed it in my backpack I was wearing that day and forgot about it.

I had to sign some papers giving them permission to destroy the toy shuriken. I have been through many airports since then and have had no extra searches whatsoever. however that was years before 9/11.

swak
09-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I got shaken down for throwing my passport in with my bag on the conveyer thing instead of keeping it on me while walking through the metal scanner.

I was pissed.

Mitsu3000gt
09-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by swak
I got shaken down for throwing my passport in with my bag on the conveyer thing instead of keeping it on me while walking through the metal scanner.

I was pissed.

What? weird. I throw my passport in the bins (along with the rest of my pocket contents) on the conveyor all the time and nobody even bats an eye.

freshprince1
09-19-2009, 02:11 PM
I got searched this week on my way to Montreal, full pat-down and everything.

I have also had the same thing happen to me as the OP, except I paid the $6 and mailed the pocket swiss-army knife home. They took my information as well, nothing every happened.

dino_martini
09-19-2009, 02:14 PM

I was pissed.

Are you sure they just didn't do a random security screening?

I know that every few people that walk through security, they are required to pull one out and do extra screening. Happened to me on my way to Toronto this summer. I was pissed off, its embarrassing, but thats business right?

swak
09-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Are you sure they just didn't do a random security screening?

Positive.
They asked to keep my passport on me (vegas airport) and without even thinking about it, threw it in the bin (not trying to be an ass, but was half awake at the time).

After i stepped through and they asked for passport, i obviously didnt have it, and they freaked the f- out. I swear, i would have gotten the same reaction from them if i had pulled a gun out. It was ridiculous.

dino_martini
09-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Positive.
They asked to keep my passport on me (vegas airport) and without even thinking about it, threw it in the bin (not trying to be an ass, but was half awake at the time).

After i stepped through and they asked for passport, i obviously didnt have it, and they freaked the f- out. I swear, i would have gotten the same reaction from them if i had pulled a gun out. It was ridiculous.

Oh this was in the US. I see. Never had any problems with US security. :dunno:

sxtasy
09-19-2009, 04:47 PM
yeah i had that passport thing happen to me before in the states. I dont understand what the big deal is:dunno:

They will confiscate my water, but let me keep my lighter. haha i dont get it

tomt64
09-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Because of my UK Passport I get pulled aside any airport in the US. Ive been thru LAX twice, and twice they put me in a room for questioning. They ask the same questions in different ways over and over.
I used to get pissed about that, but now I just have a good chuckle about it.

Kobe
09-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Positive.

weird, the US security at the airport is so minimal in Vegas.. Did they put you in that box that u need 2 look forward and not move that does a 360 scan?

MintRacer
09-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think the little pocket knife is anything to worry about.

I was leaving venezuela, and after the inital metal dectors and bag search going into the departure zone, I was patted down again in the concourse while approaching the seating area for my flight.

All was fine until I was bording the plane, where there was another solider doing one final pat down before getting on the plane. I thought this was starting to get a little rediculous at this point. The guy was ordering old ladies to remove her shoes and socks after the previous two searches.

Then when it was my turn the looser feels my jacket pocket and noticed I had something in my pocket. The guy goes all ape shit and goes for his side arm while yelling pistola at me, I was like whoaaa take it easy, it's just a camera. I slowly reach in my pocket to take out the camera. I swear the guy was trigger happy.

codetrap
09-19-2009, 07:04 PM
It's funny, i went through 4 security screenings with a leatherman in my pocket.. no problems at all.

Kennyredline
09-19-2009, 10:22 PM
OP, you are fucked...that car parked across the street....they're watching you. Your phone has been tapped, your loved ones are being followed RIGHT NOW.

Kloubek
09-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MintRacer

Then when it was my turn the looser feels my jacket pocket and noticed I had something in my pocket. The guy goes all ape shit and goes for his side arm while yelling pistola at me, I was like whoaaa take it easy, it's just a camera. I slowly reach in my pocket to take out the camera. I swear the guy was trigger happy.

No - if he was "trigger happy", you'd be dead.

My ex came back from Aussieland about three years ago, and the customs people took her aside when she arrived back in Canada. They went through her toiletries - poking their fingers through her cold cream, and squeezing out her toothpaste and other stuff into a container, which they then threw in the garbage. They also dropped a drum souvinier (sp) she purchased on the ground and broke it. No sorry, no reasonable communication, nothing. Then they just said "you can go", and left her suitcase and everything strewn across the table. I would have been pissed...

nykz
09-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
OP, you are fucked...that car parked across the street....they're watching you. Your phone has been tapped, your loved ones are being followed RIGHT NOW.

:rofl:

cancer man
09-20-2009, 08:25 AM
You are now a target from Homeland Security.

Cock Knuckle
09-20-2009, 11:51 AM
On my way down to LA a couple years ago, I went through the regular screening on my way through YYC wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The metal detector went off because I forgot my belt buckle, so the guy proceeded to frisk me, which strangely included my bare arms and legs?

They must be really mindless after having to do such a thing day in and out.

blinkme_210
09-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I forgot my Swiss Army knife in my carry on in YVR once. The security guy pulled me aside, searched my bag and found it. He was a really chill ex-Calgarian too, and he was like "I was actually looking for something else. But don't worry, happens to me all the time too." We joked around about how stupid the new security measures are now. Then he let me out to go mail it home, and let me skip the security line when I went back again.

Long winded, but as far as I know, I've never had problems going through security since that incident. And I travel every 2 weeks to US/YVR...

Ben
09-21-2009, 01:23 AM
You're Not Black Listed.

You're Not on a Watch List.

Your Name and flight number was simply recorded to document the search. I heard about you today.

goat_killer
09-21-2009, 07:43 AM
I had a buddy borrow a backpack from me once for a trip. As a joke I stuck a steak knife in one of the pockets hoping he'd get caught and detained at the airport.

My gf didn't think it was funny. So she made me call him and tell him. My gf has no sense of humor.

Mar
09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I had my Compustar pager inspected once, he couldn't figure out why I had an electronic gadget with LCD on my keychain.

Another time I got detained by customs flying through Toronto to Atlanta and while in their secluded waiting room I got the nastiest nose bleed and bled all over everything. I ran out of there to find a bathroom hoping I didn't get tackled on the way.

zieg
09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Hm, I had a fullsize screwdriver found in my backpack in vancouver. Totally forgot it was in there. I discarded it and that was it. no list.

ianmcc
09-21-2009, 10:06 AM
I had gone on a flight from Calgary to Vancouver with both my girls-the youngest was 20 months at the time. My carry on backpack had cellphone pockets in the shoulder straps and I had a Blues Clues kids fork with a rubber handle in there (I had forgotten about it). As it was going through the x-ray scanner buddy was intently watching the screen. So, of course they confiscated it. As if I was going to hijack the plane with a crying baby in one arm, a 4 year old in the other and a diaper bag and a backpack over each shoulder. Although they didn't write down my name or address, there is a white electrician's van parked down the street all the time.
Should I be worried? :dunno:

Kartelli
09-21-2009, 12:48 PM
the pat-downs are hillarious "Sir, I'm going to gently use the back of my hand to pat your crotch."