PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro

Pages : [1] 2

shakalaka
09-20-2009, 09:41 PM
So I've decided to buy the Macbook Pro and gonna get the 13" one because I don't want the size to be too big and I think it's the pefect size for my needs. I was only and checking it out on apple website upgrading the ram to 4gb and hard drive to 250gb. The total comes out to $1,579.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend, if I should get it from the apple website, or local shop like best buy or something? Where would I get the best deal on this?

What I like about being able to order on apple website is that I can select the options and do the upgrades, not quite sure if I can do that at bestbuy or not.

CivicDXR
09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
don't upgrade the ram and hard drive through apple, it is much cheaper to purchase the upgrades separately through memory express or something like that, and then after that you can sell off the other hard drive/ram. A 320GB hard drive is under $100 these days.

There should be no warranty issues changing the drive and ram.

Stephen81
09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't think the price for Apple products varies at all between retailers. Ie. If Apple is offering $50 off on Macbook Pros's (in-store and online) usually everywhere else reflects the same price (Best Buy, etc)

I was unfortunate enough to buy my aluminum MacBook about 3 weeks before they changed the lineup to the Pro (same price/more features) and I just ended up picking it up at Best Buy because the price was the same as Apple.ca and I didn't need to modify the specs.

I love this laptop though and I'm sure you'll enjoy the MBP too!

Weapon_R
09-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Try and take advantage of the school discount if you know anyone who is attending.

Otherwise, look into a refurb. They carry the same warranty coverage and are about $200 cheaper. Don't do any upgrades through apple. You can upgrade that stuff you listed for about $100.

shakalaka
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
don't upgrade the ram and hard drive through apple, it is much cheaper to purchase the upgrades separately through memory express or something like that, and then after that you can sell off the other hard drive/ram. A 320GB hard drive is under $100 these days.

There should be no warranty issues changing the drive and ram.

To upgrade both the ram and hard drive it's only $179 extra through apple. I mean I am not too aware of the costs and prices of these things but that doesn't sound too bad?

I don't have to upgrade but since I seen that it's only $179 more, I am thinking might as well. Which is why I am thinking of ordering through apple. If not I could just wait till tom and pick one up from best buy, just not sure if I can upgrade there, or if I even need to upgrade in the first place.

shakalaka
09-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Try and take advantage of the school discount if you know anyone who is attending.

Otherwise, look into a refurb. They carry the same warranty coverage and are about $200 cheaper. Don't do any upgrades through apple. You can upgrade that stuff you listed for about $100.

Really? Hmm so no upgrades eh. Then I might as well get it from best buy. And school discount? How does that work? My gf goes to Mount Royal, how can I get that school discount?

FiveFreshFish
09-20-2009, 10:04 PM
What about buying through the Apple Store in Market Mall?

D'z Nutz
09-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Yeah, if you know anyone who can get an education discount, you save $100 on the MBP. Too bad you didn't decide sooner cause you would've gotten a free iPod with the purchase too, but that promo ended a couple weeks ago.

Originally posted by shakalaka

Really? Hmm so no upgrades eh. Then I might as well get it from best buy. And school discount? How does that work? My gf goes to Mount Royal, how can I get that school discount?

http://canadaedu.apple.com/routing/index.php?lang=eng

Stephen81
09-20-2009, 10:09 PM

AFAIK there is an option on the apple.ca store where you can choose education pricing and you'll be able to choose the post-secondary institution and enter her student ID. i thought the student discount is only $50 though(?)

edit...yeah, what he just posted above me lol

edit edit...S my D! it is $100 now. nice, i got $50 off mine and then they released a better version weeks later that you can now get $100 off. FML

shakalaka
09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yeah, if you know anyone who can get an education discount, you save $100 on the MBP. Too bad you didn't decide sooner cause you would've gotten a free iPod with the purchase too, but that promo ended a couple weeks ago.

http://canadaedu.apple.com/routing/index.php?lang=eng

I know I heard about that promo kinda sucks but can't do much about it now.

Anyway followed the link you posted and selected Alberta and Mount Royal and the prices went down a $100 so $1299 for the MBP. My question is if I go ahead and purchase it are they going to want an ID or proof that I am an actual student there? Like I said my gf goes there so if this was doable in a shop then I can just get her to go and get one with the discount. Not quite sure how it would work online though.

ReflexFX
09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
For what you get inside, Macbooks, IMHO, are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a pc laptop thats around $900 and better in almost every aspect. The only reason I can see for someone to get a macbook, is if you dont care about bang for buck and just want an apple logo on the back.

STI
09-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Its really easy to change the hard drive. I bought a 500gb from memory express and changed it myself. Those go for ~$100 right now.

nich148_9
09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ReflexFX
For what you get inside, Macbooks, IMHO, are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a pc laptop thats around $900 and better in almost every aspect. The only reason I can see for someone to get a macbook, is if you dont care about bang for buck and just want an apple logo on the back.

Somehow, I don't think this will help him much. If he's seriously considering an Apple computer, that means that he's thought about bang-for-buck and couldn't give a flying fuck. I should be a rapper. /s

At any rate, don't upgrade your RAM and HDD from Apple. Mac Sales (http://macsales.com/) is way cheaper. I got a 4 GB Samsung RAM kit and a 320 GB, 7200 WD Scorpio Black hard drive from them for well under $200 shipped.

shakalaka
09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I am just checking out their refurbished one's. Would you guys recommend getting one of these?
http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?afid=p201%7C749547&cid=AOS-US-AFFC

I can get at 15" one for about the same price as brand new 13". I am not sure I am a bit reluctant since they are refurbished and all.

And as far as the upgrade is concerned, I am gonna drop that idea since almost everyone seems to be against it. I guess I can always do that later, if I feel that I could use a faster computer. I don't play games or do anything like that on them anyway. I just use them for regular internet use and occassional movie downloading and stuff and I am sure it should be good enough for that out of the box.

Stephen81
09-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I had looked at the refurb as well and passed on them...but that's mostly because I've never bought refurb'd electronics before. honestly i thought the 13" screen was going to be small but i have no issues after four months.

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ReflexFX

You have no idea what your talking about.

Macbook: Aluminum
Pc: Majority of the top of the line are huge and plastic.

Macbook: Backlit LED Screen
Pc: Backlit conventional lighting = dims after time and looks like poop

Macbook: Multi-touch mouse pad, backlit keyboard, magsafe power, snow leopard rape's 64 bit vista / win 7 ...

need i say more..

Goof.

shakalaka
09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
This isn't about pc vs mac. I have had way too many laptops before and they have been pc so I know for sure that it's gonna be a mbp this time. All I am looking for is the best deal to be honest, I want to get one asap, perhaps even order one online tonight and go to sleep all happy. lol
I am waiting at the checkout screen for that student discount one, just trying to find out if they are going to ask for a student id or some other sort of verification related to my name on my credit card, cause if so then I won't have any.

scary_perry
09-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Go open box dude. Its an easy 5-10% discount.

I got an open box at Best Buy for 1259 - it still had the plastic on it.

It also came with a printer, iworks09 and Photoshop elements 6 and snow leopard upgrade (in a box).

But I exchanged it for the 15" Pro. The 13" was returned at Deerfoot Meadows. It might be even less this time (double return).

FiveFreshFish
09-20-2009, 10:35 PM
This isn't about pc vs mac.
:werd:

Especially when this is already stated in the first sentence.

So I've decided to buy the Macbook Pro...

Weapon_R
09-20-2009, 10:39 PM
13" is a great size. I debated between the 13 and 15" and decided to get the former. It's lightweight, sleek, and you can barely feel it in your bag.

Text is easy to read and the battery life is great. If you want excellent portability, grab the 13".

I think the student discounted one is about $100 off and you have to enter a valid student email address. I doubt they verify too much.

shakalaka
09-20-2009, 10:45 PM
^That's exactly what I am thinking. My current laptop is 15" and one before was 17". Even though this one isn't too heavy, i wouldn't mind if it was lighter either. My brother got the 13" one about a week ago before he went off on a vacation and took it with him, so i did'nt get much chance to play with it, but I think 13" would be a better choice. Although I am getting double minded now after seeing a refurbished 15" one selling for $1499 or something, although I am still pretty skeptical about the whole refurbished/used thing.

Think maybe I'll wait till tom and perhaps go into best buy or apple store in market mall and make my mind. Most likely I am gonna go with 13" don't really want to get with a refurbished one. Maybe ask bestbuy if they do the education discount on apple products.

tha_bandit
09-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD

need i say more..

:werd:

anyways, fuk best buy and all that.....just take your gf or whatever with u to the apple store in market and get her to show them the ID, and just buy whatever u like at the education price there (i might be wrong about this, but at least u'll get to chek it out). That way u can compare and get a feel for one, btw the the refurbs are very good, come with the same warranty and are setup like brand new, sometimes u even get lucky and get one with upgrades.

However, reading your posts, it's best that u stick to the apple store cuz u can pick up one asap WITH the student discount, and dont try best buy or anything (unless of course u wanna try your hand at the open box).

DENZILDON
09-21-2009, 07:06 AM
I got my MBP for $750 bucks, open item from Bestbuy. Never had a problem since I got it.

RY213
09-21-2009, 07:18 AM
I bought a 15" MBP about 2 weeks ago from Best Buy with 4GB of ram and 2.56Ghz processor. They gave me ilife, Snow Leopard and Photoshop Elements for free, plus an HP printer. The price came to $2100 including tax. I initially went to the Apple store to buy it but left when I was told I would need to make an appointment to buy a computer (wtf?!). Ive always been a PC dude and im so glad i made the switch. This notebook is freakin awesome, I highly recommend it. It shits on my old HP notebook...

shakalaka
09-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I think I am gonna go to bestbuy in Northland (closest one to me) and see if they have any open box one's. If not just buy a regular one.

HyperZell
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
shakalaka...I am disappoint.

shakalaka
09-21-2009, 07:56 PM
^?

Got one from best buy it was an open item got it for $1250, pretty decent I guess and better than using student discount as well. Just putting on snow leopard that I also got on it. Any other must have programme's or cool things that can be done on it? Being a first time user I could use all the pointers I cant get.

The problem I am already gonna face is that ALL my music is on an external hard drive which is synced with my other laptop and when I connect it to Mac it's gonna ask me to format it, so I need to figure out a way by which I can get all my music on mac itunes from pc itunes. And there are TONS of movies on that hard drive that I connect to the computer in the basement and watch on the projection screen. Again after formatting I am gonna end up losing all that too. And all other media ex. pictures from my old laptop needs to be brought to the new one. Again, I forsee a problem. If someone can offer any assisstance, it'll be appreciated.

ZorroAMG
09-21-2009, 08:35 PM
As far as upgrades, apple wants 120 cdn for RAM and otherworldcomputing wants $88 USD plus shipping. That's a wash, the only diff is OWC leaves you with your stock ram that you can sell if you want. HDD's from OWC you can get a 7200rpm 320gb for around the same price as apple's 320 5400rpm

I dunno how much mem express could get them for...

DO get an external display if you plan on doing heavy work though. 13" is tiny.

Jlude
09-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Gotta jack this thread...

Bought my gf a 13" MBP and it's a sweet little machine, perfect for her going to school.

My question is, I want to pick up a 17" macbook pro, but the specs everywhere I look say the biggest HD it comes with is 500gb. As far as I know, Apple doesn't offer customiziation, do they? I'd like to get a 17" MBP with a TB hd and 6gig ram.

I've got a 24" iMac, but damn, years of having a laptop and then now a desktop, it's killing me.

TIA

kokanee27
09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
Gotta jack this thread...

Bought my gf a 13" MBP and it's a sweet little machine, perfect for her going to school.

My question is, I want to pick up a 17" macbook pro, but the specs everywhere I look say the biggest HD it comes with is 500gb. As far as I know, Apple doesn't offer customiziation, do they? I'd like to get a 17" MBP with a TB hd and 6gig ram.

I've got a 24" iMac, but damn, years of having a laptop and then now a desktop, it's killing me.

TIA

as far as i know, the biggest hard drive you can get for any apple laptop is 500gb.

** edit ** i was mistaken, i guess western digital does make 1tb drives for laptops
i would suggest just getting a 17" MBP with the regular hard drive and do the switch yourself, then sell off the extra HD

**edit 2** western digital says that their 1tb drives will not fit in the new unibody macbook pros, so for now i guess 500 gb is as big as youll get

shakalaka
09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Got a question about msn for mac. Is version 7 the latest one? Seems pretty crappy....no webcam or anything like that?

Jlude
09-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by kokanee27

as far as i know, the biggest hard drive you can get for any apple laptop is 500gb.

** edit ** i was mistaken, i guess western digital does make 1tb drives for laptops
i would suggest just getting a 17" MBP with the regular hard drive and do the switch yourself, then sell off the extra HD

**edit 2** western digital says that their 1tb drives will not fit in the new unibody macbook pros, so for now i guess 500 gb is as big as youll get

I appreciate the info.

So I should look into getting aftermarket upgrades done. I'm sure soon enough a 1tb will fit the 17MBP... and do the same for the ram.

hmm... I guess I never thought/knew you could do that. I should take my iMac in to somewhere and have them upgrade the HD/RAM/Video card.

Got a question about msn for mac. Is version 7 the latest one? Seems pretty crappy....no webcam or anything like that?

I couldn't find one to utilize the webcam.. I just use ichat with the wife. only person I would care to webcam with anyway.

It would be nice to find a program like msn to utilize the webcam though. I use Adium btw

Stephen81
09-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Yeah, it's horrible. I haven't found anything better yet. I've barely used msn since I've had my Mac

Stephen81
09-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Ohh, download VLC player...I use that to play .avi files (mostly movies I've DL'd as Quicktime won't seem to play that filetype)

shakalaka
09-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Yea I was gonna get VLC since I had that for PC as well. Now only if I can find a way to transfer my pictures to the computer and music to itunes and be able to watch all the movies from my external hard drive on the mac. But I am afraid as soon as I connect it, it's gonna want me to format it.

Stephen81
09-21-2009, 11:03 PM
^ Format the Mac or the external HD? What kind are you using? I keep all my music and movies on a MyBook external HD and just plug into my MB and transfer files all the time - I had originally started using the external HD with my PC

Jlude
09-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Yea I was gonna get VLC since I had that for PC as well. Now only if I can find a way to transfer my pictures to the computer and music to itunes and be able to watch all the movies from my external hard drive on the mac. But I am afraid as soon as I connect it, it's gonna want me to format it.

Originally posted by stephen_haxton
^ Format the Mac or the external HD? What kind are you using? I keep all my music and movies on a MyBook external HD and just plug into my MB and transfer files all the time - I had originally started using the external HD with my PC

Mine does the same thing. I have a MyBook external HD and everytime I plug it in, it wants to setup time machine. I eventually gave in.. hahaha.

adamc
09-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I am going to buy a 13" through the refurb store soon, there is NO difference between a new in box, and the refurb in terms of warrenty.

Both covered by the same applecare, one is $250-300 less than the other.

I can't wait, I have been a pc guy since I was a little kid, building my own, heavily involved in intense PC nerdery, but this latest generation of MBP makes my pants tight.

Kardon
09-22-2009, 12:11 AM
My first MacBook was NIB, saw a friend get a refurb, saw another friend get a refurb, and the my new MBP is a refurb. They look like new, you have a better chance of getting a flawless computer through the refurb section due to the extended testing its put through. They make sure there refurbs look, and smell like new.

ZorroAMG
09-22-2009, 12:29 AM
For MSN for mac, use amsn, it's a clone and i do video chat on it.

As for iMacs Jlude, you can change HDD RAM but not vid card, I believe, at least I've never heard of anyone doing so. I upgraded my ram on my iMac i got in July to 8gb, it was easy. I DO have a 1TB HDD so no need to upgrade that, and I got the best vid card apple had in July.

OWC for ram...520 for 8gb, it was over 700 in july.

dragonone
09-22-2009, 02:32 AM
I recommended my friend get the refurb 13" (previous gen) 2.4ghz fro $1149, he even got the free ipod and printer even though it clearly said refurb not eligible !

I just ordered the same one before the weekend, along with the moshi matte screen and kb protector

I picked this one because it was cheaper and because of the removable battery

The DDR3 sodimm is still so expensive, and NCIX has the best price @ $42/2gb

As for the hd, pop that 250gb into an external enclosure, and buy a SSD instead. The speed increase will beat any HD or ram upgrade. you can google for videos demonstrating startup times etc.

Buy.com has a sale on the intel x-25, NCIX is willing to PM it. The only problem is that I found threads claiming the x25 is not playing nice with the Nvidia chipsets (all macbooks), as NCQ needs to be turned off, which is impossible at the moment. If anyone can tell me how, I'm ordering one right away

haha what's with the OWC love, they're pretty expensive other than the 8gb ram. everythng else memX or NCIX would be cheaper for. that 1tb 2.5" is 12.5mm, it won't fit [most] laptops

scat19
09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Bought my gf a 13" MBP.....

I just use ichat with the wife.
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0043.gif

CivicDXR
09-22-2009, 09:23 AM
^ Don't hate the player, hate the game... :D

huck
09-22-2009, 09:56 AM
if you're still looking for one.. i just returned my $1299 13" mbp to get the $1700 one at futureshop. i used it for like 5 days. They might have it for sale as an open box item. Just a heads up :thumbsup:

Jlude
09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
For MSN for mac, use amsn, it's a clone and i do video chat on it.

As for iMacs Jlude, you can change HDD RAM but not vid card, I believe, at least I've never heard of anyone doing so. I upgraded my ram on my iMac i got in July to 8gb, it was easy. I DO have a 1TB HDD so no need to upgrade that, and I got the best vid card apple had in July.

OWC for ram...520 for 8gb, it was over 700 in july.

I'll download that amsn tonight.

Hmm... is that because the viedoe card is intergrated?

Ya, I went in to get the same iMac as you, but they were sold out. I'll just have to talk to a few shops about swapping everything out, they'll know for sure if it can be done. Hmmm... an extra 4 gb from Apple for 1200 or 4gb from someone else for 520. That's just crazy.

Thanks for the tips!

Jlude
09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by scat19

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0043.gif

^ Don't hate the player, hate the game... :D

Wife goes to school in Toronto. :bigpimp:

shakalaka
09-22-2009, 04:23 PM
I will check out amsn just now.

My external hard drive is a seagate 500gb one. I would really want to be able to transfer all the data from it on my mac. I like to keep the music on it but still transfer on itunes so that I can still sync my iphone after connecting the hard drive whenever I want. But all the pictures and stuff I still want them on the new Mac.

My hard drive is this one in case someone needs to take a look at it
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent/freeagent_go/

shakalaka
09-22-2009, 04:40 PM
So I tried to get this amsn thing working and after installing it from google it said, drag this amsn icon in the applications folder and delete this dmg. Which i did after dragging it in there I deleted the dmg file. However when I go in applications and select the amsn thing it just bounces for a while in my bottom tray and nothing happens. It stops bouncing and stays there but I don't see anything opened? And when i control right click it all the way on the top it says Application Not Responding, so I have to force quit it.

Jlude
09-22-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm just downloading it now...

Damn... was in the apple store today, but they didn't have the 3.06GHZ 17" MBP that I wanted... oh well... good things, saved me some money.

Jlude
09-22-2009, 04:57 PM
aMsn works great for me... It's basically MSN for whatever system you have.

Try it again shakalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala lol

shakalaka
09-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Tried it twice...not working..what am I doing wrong?

CivicDXR
09-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Wife goes to school in Toronto. :bigpimp:

and the girlfriend? :nut:

Are you running Snow Leopard? I've read some reports of it not working properly with SL...

shakalaka
09-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeap I have snow leopard. I got the cd free with my Mac so I installed that yesterday, clicked install and took about any hour. This sucks I can't even run one program that seemed to look decent.

shakalaka
09-22-2009, 06:25 PM
So I just installed VLC player and same thing as amsn is happening here too! Am I doing something wrong? When i click install the download begins and afters it's finished a folder opened with VLC, options and Applications. So I grabbed the VLC cone and dragged it in Applications and 'copying' came up and it did it's thing and went away. But when I click it same thing happens it bounces on the tray for a while and nothing happens and then when I control click it it says 'application not responding' and I have to use force quit.

djayz
09-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I just tried aMSN on snow leapord, getting the same problem as shakalaka except I get a pop-up that says aMSN has unexpectedly quit.

ZorroAMG
09-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I had amsn on leopard, ran fine. upgraded to SL, still runs fine.

shakalaka
09-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I dunno what the fuck is happening, I've had this for a day and already running into problems. The regular msn messanger was working before when I clicked on it from my dock but now when I do the icon itself becomes transparent and you can see a question mark symbol behind it and nothing happens! Tried restarting the computer still the same.

Whenever I install something the dmg file gets mounted I install the application or drag it into applications folder and then delete the dmg file. This msn was working before and I dunno what happened to it now.

shakalaka
09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by djayz
I just tried aMSN on snow leapord, getting the same problem as shakalaka except I get a pop-up that says aMSN has unexpectedly quit.

Think I figured it out, this is working for me now.

Try the last available link there

http://www.notjustanothermacuser.com/?p=beta

jdmSiR
09-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I go to sait and we get $100 discount on it, and a cheaper 3 year warranty.
I bought the 2.66ghz 320g 4g ram 15"

I love it

Stephen81
09-22-2009, 09:53 PM
^ thanks...i just picked up snow leopard today and got the aMSN up and running too!

Jlude
09-22-2009, 09:59 PM

I used it for a bit tonight... it works well for me.

and the girlfriend? :nut:

:D

scat19
09-23-2009, 12:54 PM
haha busted :bigpimp:

shakalaka
09-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Is iphoto supposed to come with in the computer or is it the part of the ilife package? I thought it came in your computer but I can't find it anywhere which leads me to believe that I will have to purchase ilife in order to get that?

Stephen81
09-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Hmm, mine was NIB and came with iLife. I thought they all shipped with that?

Jlude
09-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Hmm, mine was NIB and came with iLife. I thought they all shipped with that?

+1

tha_bandit
09-25-2009, 09:32 AM
iLife comes preinstalled but since yours is open box, someone most likely just installed the OS only, u should get 2 grey discs, one is for mac osx and the other is the applications which u just put in ad install after logging in for the first time.

ZorroAMG
09-25-2009, 01:03 PM
iPhoto is a native app on ALL macs, you only buy iLife when they upgrade it and you want to as well.

Search in Spotlight, it really should be there.

dragonone
09-26-2009, 12:20 AM
strange, my refrub came with leopard
i clean installed snow leopard, but there was no iphoto on it so i had to torrent the ilife suite

and W7 64bit rocks on the MB

now to see the performance in parallels....

shakalaka
09-26-2009, 12:28 AM
I guess since mine was open box i didn't get it? Should I go back with my receipt and ask for it? I am also downloading a torrent of it although not quite sure if torrents work the same way as pc's on here as well.

shakalaka
09-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Actually just noticed my box had two grey disks, max osx and applications install disk. I am guessing its the applications one.

tha_bandit
09-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Actually just noticed my box had two grey disks, max osx and applications install disk. I am guessing its the applications one.

yes like i said before.....iphoto is native to all macs but once u reinstall the os, u have u set it up and once u are on your desktop, put in the second grey disk that states 'applications disk' and then u can install ilife apps.

dragonone
09-26-2009, 01:53 AM
u can use vuze or utorrent for osx
search for the most seeded ilife one on tpb, i would suggest demonoid but it's down

mount dmg and follow instructions, it doesn't even need a serial

scary_perry
09-30-2009, 10:25 PM
shakalaka is right

He did not do a restore from the factory disks, he did an OS upgrade where he wiped the disk clean.

When you do a really clean install from an OS disk like Snow Leopard Upgrade, none of the apps are installed. Grab your second disk and reinstall them.

Have you heard of Cider? There are these things called wrapper that let you play PC games in OS X. Oblivion runs fantastic! Half Life 2 and Portal do as well.

towfique
10-04-2009, 12:43 AM
If your external hdd is formatted as NTFS, you can use Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X. This allows your mac to read NTFS formatted drives.

shakalaka
10-04-2009, 12:45 AM
So I tried my external drive again, and it only works as a read only thing, can't add or anything to it.

Jlude
10-04-2009, 10:55 AM
So I tried my external drive again, and it only works as a read only thing, can't add or anything to it.

you'll have to format it.

SpoonEK9@STRD
10-04-2009, 11:48 AM

Google Macfuse should do the job on snow.

On leopard i think u need ntsf-3g + macfuse... then u can can write to the drive.

ringer
12-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Just bought a MBP 15 inch the other day!
Can't wait for it to arrive so excited. Have the iMac G5 already around 24 inches
but wanted a portable one for travelling and christmas with family out of town.

Roommate just bought a brand new Dell and it is already shitting out on him - I truly have no complaints with my mac sincce I've had it with the exception of the lack of USB ports - but that's nothing really.

l/l/rX
12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by ringer
Just bought a MBP 15 inch the other day!
Can't wait for it to arrive so excited. Have the iMac G5 already around 24 inches
but wanted a portable one for travelling and christmas with family out of town.

I too have a 24" g5 and I too just purchased a 13" macbook only, got it at a steal of a price, $1050 with iworks preinstalled. Is apple care worth it? I heard I can wait till like the last week of the 1 yr manufacturers warranty and purchase it then?

koopkoop2
12-01-2009, 01:33 PM
I had looked at the refurb as well and passed on them...but that's mostly because I've never bought refurb'd electronics before. honestly i thought the 13" screen was going to be small but i have no issues after four months.

Apple Refurb is different from any other manufacturers refurb. Apple refurbs are done to a standard waaaayyyy stricter than any other company out there. I've bought a few refurbs and they're indistinguishable from new.

Honestly, they could probably put their refurbs inside a "new" box and the person buying it would never know.

dragonone
12-01-2009, 11:51 PM
y are u guys buying mbp at the moment? there's strong speculation that the i5 or i7 are going in it come 2010. return it!

FiveFreshFish
12-02-2009, 09:27 PM
^^^ That's what I'm waiting for.

ZorroAMG
12-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe some don't NEED quad core laptops? Maybe they need a computer right away...

eglove
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
i bought my mid 2009 17" cause I couldn't wait anymore. I don't really NEED the power of the i5 or the i7. the only thing that would be nice but will probably not come with the refresh is a blu ray drive

dragonone
12-03-2009, 03:50 AM
the right away i can kind of understand

this need part .... lol for the same price?:dunno:

do ppl actually want a blu-ray drive in there? i'm swapping out my dvd with a case and putting a x-25 160gb SSD alongside the 640gb i ordered on black friday

in case anyone's interested:
http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/
-it also comes with a case for the swapped out optical drive

anyhow, enjoy, it's a great machine

Jlude
12-05-2009, 02:05 AM
My 17 MBP is good enough for what I need now... and I doubt I'd upgrade right away, this should be powerful enough for what I need out of it.

Jlude
03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
My 17 MBP is good enough for what I need now... and I doubt I'd upgrade right away, this should be powerful enough for what I need out of it.

I can't believe I even wrote that. I'm more excited for the next MBP than I am for Christmas this year.

04-10-2010, 04:16 PM
^

Anyone have an update on when the new one is coming out?

So far from what I have read it's supposed to be this Tuesday, so when will it be available here in Canada? Was just about to go out and get a 15' MBP, but will wait it out if the new one comes out relatively soon...

shakalaka
04-10-2010, 04:27 PM
It's been like what 5-6 months since I made this thread so I guess got my Macbook Pro. I don't even care even if they bring the new one out right now. I've already used this so much and I love it. It still pretty much works like how it did when it was brand new.

Weapon_R
04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
It's been like what 5-6 months since I made this thread so I guess got my Macbook Pro. I don't even care even if they bring the new one out right now. I've already used this so much and I love it. It still pretty much works like how it did when it was brand new.

And it'll keep doing that. I don't know much about Macs, but the two I've had ran the same even after years of use. They don't slow down to a crawl like every PCs I've had.

shakalaka
04-10-2010, 04:43 PM

And it'll keep doing that. I don't know much about Macs, but the two I've had ran the same even after years of use. They don't slow down to a crawl like every PCs I've had.

Ahh I know I've had like a couple of PC desktops and notebooks, the freaking things started lagging after a couple months. Start-up would get obviously slower. I am so glad I went this route.

oster
04-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Would a new one result in a lower price of the current MacBook pro?

dragonone
04-10-2010, 07:34 PM
not in the apple store, but u can consider the refurbrished ones

the discount probably does not warrant the performance [hit]. we'll have to see.

sl888
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
According to macrumors they could announce the new ones on the 13th. About time I've waited patiently for months

Jlude
04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by sl888
According to macrumors they could announce the new ones on the 13th. About time I've waited patiently for months

That's sooo soon. I'll have to see what are the actual specs they come out with before I grab one.

I've got a buddy who I know will buy my current MBP for 2000-2200 cause it's fairly new. So this would be great timing.

sl888
04-13-2010, 07:15 AM
NEW MACBOOKS!
Hmmmm ASUS G73 or Macbook Pro?

Vagabond142
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by sl888
NEW MACBOOKS!
Hmmmm ASUS G73 or Macbook Pro?

G73

/thread

:goflames:

scat19
04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5515928/new-macbook-pros-feature-core-i5-and-i7-processors?skyline=true&s=i

The new MacBook Pros are here, and as expected, the 15 and 17-inch models are loaded with Intel's Core i5 and i7 processors and new display options, but the 13-inch model stays behind with a Core2Duo and an unchanged price.

So while pricing on the 13-inch models remain the same, the base MBP 17 drops to $2,300 ($200) while the base MBP 15 actually gets $100 more expensive at $1800.

All new models come with a base of 4GB of RAM (expandable to 8GB). Core i7 processors are options for both the 15 and 17-inch models, which include NVIDIA's GeForce GT 330M discrete graphics—considered to be mid-range notebook graphics cards (see benchmarks here).

Interestingly, the 15 and 17-inch MacBook Pros will use a new, proprietary system to swap between discrete and integrated graphics based upon what processes you're running in OS X—a technique somewhat similar to what we've seen from NVIDIA's Optimus system.

Also of note, the 15-inch model now has three display options, a 1440-by-900-pixel LED-backlit glossy display, a "high-resolution" 1680-by-1050 glossy ($100 upgrade) or an "antiglare high-resolution" display ($150 upgade). The MBP 17 comes with the high resolution screen stock and can be upgraded to antiglare for $50.

And a slightly reformulated battery is supposed to balance the power requirements of the new chipsets.

Still, lots of nickel and diming in this latest crop of MacBook Pros. To spend as much as $1500 for a Core2Duo system seems nuts, and the $100 price hike on 15-inch models—before premium display options—is a tough pill to swallow. Antiglare screens are the type of "upgrade" that should really be standard when you're already paying such a premium for well-designed hardware. [Apple]

eglove
04-13-2010, 09:23 AM
On order!, selling my minty 17" 2.8ghz c2d if anyone is interested!

pyroza
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
15" with i7 is really tempting me!