PDA

View Full Version : help me import this car

nathantheman
09-21-2009, 03:19 AM
I recently bought a jdm nissan. the previous owner never registered it in Canada, and has apparently lost the import docs. the registry tells me i need the export docs from japan, what should/can i do?

R154
09-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Contact the old owner, find out who he/she imported it with, if they bought it second hand, then ask them for their old registration and that should be all you need.

If it was imported then sold to you without having an OOP and being registered for the first time, the original importer will have a copy of the documents on hand (or should).

Now if it was imported by an individual with an amvic licence, but now doesnt have the old papers or copies of it, then you are in a tight spot. From that point you would have to find a way to run the vin, track down the seller from japan and see if THEY have a copy of original documentation. 99% of the time, exporters are not some 2 bit operation and will be apt enough to find/send you documentation. - Sidenote, Which company was used to import your vehicle?

Go to JDM source and talk to Shoaib, ask him to help you if the above processes render no results. (He is a very reputable importer and will have contacts that may be able to assist you in the event that none of the above are options render results.)

Ofcourse even though I dont want to say it, you might be SOL if you cant find said papers through any means.