PDA

View Full Version : Legality of parking in condo complex stalls

mr2mike
09-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Ok so the condo complex that I visit regularly has visitor parking. This parking is taken up obviously by tenants' second vehicles/work vehicles as they are the same cars all the time day or night.
There's handicapped stalls all over the place yet no ramps etc to allow any sort of handicapped access. Now I hate to park in the handi spots but
A) I know there's no handicapped people/visitors that I've seen.
B) IF there is and I see one, I will gladly never park there.

But what are the legalities of getting tickets? Can Calgary Parking Authority ticket me in these spots as it's private property owned by the condo company?

Everytime I park there I take pictures of the visitor spots as there's usually blatant work trucks in the visitor spots. Just to prove that they're not being fair to visitors and that I had no option as a fire lane is very important. But how would I fight this if I did get ticketed?

kenny
09-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Someone from your condo board can request CPA to come and ticket your vehicle.

Euro838
09-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Condo boards have the authority to call the CPA/bylaw officers to enforce their condo policies. It's not different than contacting the CPA/bylaw for cars parked in violation of bylaws on your street.

Many condo boards will use the city officers as it will more likely ensure compliance in the future. Understand your condo's policies and notify people if you see any violations. I don't think you should rebel by parking in handicap spots because I don't think you'll win that one.

TYMSMNY
09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
1. CPA can come in at the request of any owner or board member to have you ticketed.

2. Are you saying that it's OK to park in the Handicap spot because you have not seen anyone park there in the past? Handi spots are reserved 24/7 regardless if anyone uses them.

Hope that helps.

Mibz
09-21-2009, 01:51 PM
"I did it because they did it" doesn't fly anywhere else in life and there's no exception here.

98type_r
09-21-2009, 02:11 PM
All it takes is one phone call to CPA from anybody and they can come to ticket you.
Is taking the chance worth the $150 ticket?

97'Scort
09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
My condo complex attempted to solve this problem by making everybody use "visitor passes" with the apartment numbers on them. All that's happened is now we know who the assholes with two cars are, but we still have no visitor parking.

bulaian
09-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
My condo complex attempted to solve this problem by making everybody use "visitor passes" with the apartment numbers on them. All that's happened is now we know who the assholes with two cars are, but we still have no visitor parking.

my condo complex did the same thing regarding the visitor passes. if your car is in a visitor stall between the hours of 1am-6am without a pass, CPA will issue you a ticket

03ozwhip
09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
our condo does the visitor passes, but the limit is supposed to only be a few days. theres been a cocksucker here for over a week taking up 2 spots for his 1 car.

Mar
09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
My area solved this by putting up a sign stating no cars are allowed in the visitor stalls between midnight and 6am ever for any reason or they'll be towed. They're always empty, even in the daytime.

mr2mike
09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Ok, so I know I'm in the wrong parking in handicapped spots and I hate to do so because I understand why they needs the spots. Also don't want to risk the ticket while I'm the real visitor and others are the tenants.

So regardless, am I able to contact CPA or since I don't live there I can have the person who does call? Or does it have to be like the president of the condo board?

I've heard of the signage for midnight to 6am no parking. I guess that's up to the condo board.

But I want these tickets issued for the visitor parking. Which is hard for CPA to prove without them stopping by day after day to see the same vehicles parked there unmoved.

98type_r
09-21-2009, 03:01 PM
You can contact CPA if there is a car parked in the handicapped stall. Any issues with people in visitor stalls are out of your hands. The only think you can do is have the tenant contact the board and voice your concerns.

mr2mike
09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Ok I will do that and stop handi parking because I know the same ass hat's that park in visitor will be calling my car in.

Condo living is gay. PITA for visitors!

TYMSMNY
09-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Ok, so I know I'm in the wrong parking in handicapped spots and I hate to do so because I understand why they needs the spots. Also don't want to risk the ticket while I'm the real visitor and others are the tenants.

So regardless, am I able to contact CPA or since I don't live there I can have the person who does call? Or does it have to be like the president of the condo board?

I've heard of the signage for midnight to 6am no parking. I guess that's up to the condo board.

But I want these tickets issued for the visitor parking. Which is hard for CPA to prove without them stopping by day after day to see the same vehicles parked there unmoved.

For owners vehicles in visitors spot, generally any board member can call the CPA and give out a ticket in the visitors spot. If it does turn out to be a visitors spot, the board has the right to revoke and ask for the CPA ticket to be dismissed.

Visitors = any board member can call CPA
Handicap = anyone can call CPA

scat19
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
When I lived in my condo, all vehicles had to be "registered" with the board.

When a car was always in a visitor spot, you'd get a warning issued by a member of the board. I would call and say, it's a friend staying for 2 weeks, it'd be fine. Now, if the car kept coming back, the old lady on the third floor would always watch and notice if they lived here or not, then parking would be called.

Let's just say, we always had visitor parking, the old ladies in my building were just waiting for something to get excited for.

K2`
09-21-2009, 03:44 PM
i know that handicapped spots must have a sign.. not just a spray paint of the symbol on the ground. If it has a sign, CPA can give a ticket for parking without a permit.

The CPA can issue tickets if your condo has timelimits on the visitor spots.. they'll come mark your tires and then come back at the designated time. If the offending person repeats enough, they can have the car towed.

Mibz
09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by K2`
i know that handicapped spots must have a sign.. not just a spray paint of the symbol on the ground. Pretty sure that's only true if something (See: snow) is covering the paint. If you've got a valid excuse for not seeing a handicapped marking then fine, but if the symbol is on the ground, plain as day, and you get ticketed, don't expect a judge to sympathize.