PDA

View Full Version : Got a dilema I didn't need right now!

megafandrew
09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Alright today I am faced with a tough decision/situation and I am hoping to get a few opinions on the matter. I am a 2nd year millwright (I need to re-challenge the 2nd year test but schooling is done and passed!) but do to the economy I have not been able to find any work for some time now and work as a labourer at Finning to pay bills (been there 7 months now).

I just got a letter from the apprentice board and then went in there today and they concerned of why I have not made progress in schooling or working (letter stated more for schooling but Im guessing not getting hours doesn't help either). Now I need to go in to see the director of trades at the local office here and discuss if Im still interested (of course) in the trade and I guess what I plan to do.

I guess the main dilema here is Im probally going to have to leave my very well paying job at Finning ( not happy about this especially as it is slow still right now) and go to school for 3rd year or perhaps he may let me just re-challenge the 2nd year and when I pass that may be good enough to hold me off for some time. Im starting to get over-stressed about this and frustrated that I apply for the few jobs for apprentices there are and dont really here anything back. Should I bother risking and going back to school if required? Or should I maybe look down a new career path and see where it takes me? I will have a bit of regret if I just leave this millwright trade and the hard work Ive done for it but sometimes things happen for reasons unexplained who knows.

anothers10
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I dont think you take take 3rd year without passing the 2nd year exam. Take the 2nd year exam again and then look for a job. With two years of school already done I dont think you should give up on it now.

megafandrew
09-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by anothers10
I dont think you take take 3rd year without passing the 2nd year exam. Take the 2nd year exam again and then look for a job. With two years of school already done I dont think you should give up on it now.

Yes I will re-challange this exam but then I was thinking I could take the 3rd year of school as well. I need to finish that exam and I should be alright I think (hopefully this head chair guy will see that I would like to continue) and yes with 2 years done its a bit stupid to try and get into another trade without finishing this one up. I am also only 21 so even if it takes me another 3/4 years to finish (I dont know how soon Ill find a job so... that is why I give alot of time to finish it)

sr20s14zenki
09-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Once you challenge, you have 18 more months to wait as far as i know, pass or fail. I am about to challenge my 3rd year welding, in a month or so. I just registered for my test and spoke to the apprenticeship board about it. Im pretty sure its the same for all trades?

megafandrew
09-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Once you challenge, you have 18 more months to wait as far as i know, pass or fail. I am about to challenge my 3rd year welding, in a month or so. I just registered for my test and spoke to the apprenticeship board about it. Im pretty sure its the same for all trades?

Im thinking it is and thats good to know! Good luck on that 3rd year test btw. Hopefully I pass it I would like to have that done it would be much better and like I said Im going to hit 3rd year as well. I just spoke with the chair guy this morning very nice guy so I am going to re-challenge before the 16th of October. He figures it will pick up for millwrights by next srping so it would be a good idea to try 3rd year as well. I am going to miss this high pay labour job but being a labourer also sucks alot of time it is definitely hard work.

Graham_A_M
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah its ultra-slow with the (metal working) trades right now. I was laid off from my Millwright apprenticeship this last April. Yes its incredibly slow, and it doesn't surprise me in the least nobody is calling you back. Even the most skilled Machinests/Millwrights/welders are a dime a dozen right now. :( I dont know if its going to pick up by next spring. Thats being *very* optimistic. Talking to my welder friend and my old workplace: its still incredibly slow going, and probably will be for quite a while longer.
Its an extremely frustrating position to be in for the employer: A need to keep the skilled workers employed so their not lost, but a very meager operation budget to make that possible. Even though there is a critical need to keep these workers around.

I'd explain your situation with you boss, so perhaps you can take the time off, and still have a job to come back to in the end. Thats what I'd do. Im sure he'll understand.

megafandrew
09-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Yeah its ultra-slow with the (metal working) trades right now. I was laid off from my Millwright apprenticeship this last April. Yes its incredibly slow, and it doesn't surprise me in the least nobody is calling you back. Even the most skilled Machinests/Millwrights/welders are a dime a dozen right now. :( I dont know if its going to pick up by next spring. Thats being *very* optimistic. Talking to my welder friend and my old workplace: its still incredibly slow going, and probably will be for quite a while longer.
Its an extremely frustrating position to be in for the employer: A need to keep the skilled workers employed so their not lost, but a very meager operation budget to make that possible. Even though there is a critical need to keep these workers around.

I'd explain your situation with you boss, so perhaps you can take the time off, and still have a job to come back to in the end. Thats what I'd do. Im sure he'll understand.

Ya I completely agree with all you posted here its my thoughts exactly on the situation. I will talk to my employer before making any rash decisions! Ill keep you guys updated in this thread if anything exciting happens. Graham are you back in the trade now? or same boat as me? lol

Rat Fink
09-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Graham_A_M
09-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by megafandrew

Ya I completely agree with all you posted here its my thoughts exactly on the situation. I will talk to my employer before making any rash decisions! Ill keep you guys updated in this thread if anything exciting happens. Graham are you back in the trade now? or same boat as me? lol

kind of the same boat, but not looking to go back. I found a really cool gig (where Im at) and make more then I ever used to as an apprentice, and soon about as much as I ever would as a journeyman, only I really enjoy the work....
:dunno:
I know exactly where I would have been 5-10 or even 15 years down the road as a Millwright, and I can't say I'd ever enjoy what I would do potentially in the future. Looking at my bosses car(s) and their houses... no thanks. :nut:
Its bleak out there, and it will be for a while longer. I assume probably next summer would have picked up enough that you can find employment within your given trade. Just talking to the machine/manufacturing shop I was laid off from, thats his estimate.. even then.... so I'd keep your bases covered with guaranteed employment for as long as you can. Its seriously incredible how many trades people are looking for work.