PDA

View Full Version : amp sub help

black13
09-22-2009, 08:06 PM
hey I'm not too familiar with amps/subs and my current sound system is damn awful even though the previous owner put in an amp and sub (although sub isn't working, not sure why) and volume up more than 20, just sounds awful.

Right now only two rear sub speakers are connected to the amp. And I want a system that really pounds,

I need a new amp so I can connect all 6 of my speakers to it, do I need a 4 channel amp to do this? my current one is 2 channel.
And how many watts should I look for?
thanks.

Graham_A_M
09-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey, I'll answer all your questions later, but I have to run out the door now. I'll have more time tomorrow with the advice.

revelations
09-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Id get a good 4 channel amp and a 300w+ (2 channel) amp for the sub.

Graham_A_M
09-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Hey, posting the amps brand & model number would really help towards answering your questions. Potentially you can use your 2ch amp to power your full range speakers.
However you'd best use it to power your subs exclusively and thats it; depending on how powerful they are.
From there, I'd get a 4 channel amp to power your full range speakers. You said you have 6 speakers. I assume this means you have 4 full range speakers and two tweets mounted on your A-pillars (?) or do you have just the 4 full-range speakers plus your two amps?

If you can explain your system in detail I can make better suggestions. But as of now its kind a shot in the dark as to what you currently have, and to whats possible.

black13
09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Hey, posting the amps brand & model number would really help towards answering your questions. Potentially you can use your 2ch amp to power your full range speakers.
However you'd best use it to power your subs exclusively and thats it; depending on how powerful they are.
From there, I'd get a 4 channel amp to power your full range speakers. You said you have 6 speakers. I assume this means you have 4 full range speakers and two tweets mounted on your A-pillars (?) or do you have just the 4 full-range speakers plus your two amps?

If you can explain your system in detail I can make better suggestions. But as of now its kind a shot in the dark as to what you currently have, and to whats possible.

thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Here's how the setup is...

two front speakers + two tweets
two rear speakers
two speakers in the trunk 140w each
one sub in the trunk - doesn't work
one amp that's a
-sony xm 3026
2 channel 1ohm 30w x 2

Only the two speakers in the trunk are connected to the amp it seems.

I want to connect a car pc and only way for that is through the rca input on the amp so I want to connect the speakers through the amp.
From what I'm reading I definitely need a 4 or 6 channel amp.

Graham_A_M
09-27-2009, 12:41 PM
whoah, you got quite the setup there. :nut:
Yes if you want, you can just get a 4ch amp and not use the trunk speakers, as I dont think they'll be of any use once you get your cabin speakers in operation. 6 ch amps are harder to find. Sony made a gunmetal colored 6ch. that would suit your application well. I remember seeing it at the northmount Cash converters when I was looking for a few DVD's. They wanted $50 for it I think it was. They were made in the mid to late 90's, and are great amps with fair bit of power for each of their channels. I used to have one myself.

Otherwise you can just buy a new(/er) 4ch. It should be 40-50watts RMS per channel at 4 ohms, un-bridged of course.
Use the RCA outs of the carputer or your deck to go to a splitter if neccessary. The (Y) splitter will divide the signal so you can have two RCA outputs out of one connection. Most decks or sound cards do not have enough RCA outputs to provide signals to all the channels you'll be running.
Doing this however, you'll have two channels/2 speakers controlled by 1 Source, so I'd split the RCA's feeding the rear cabin speakers to also provide the RCA signal going to the channels of the trunk, if you do in fact plan on using them. Like I said before: I'd forget about them and use the 4 cabin speakers.
For that, you'd just need a typical 4ch amp.

From there, I'd invest in a DECENT sub amp, not that little 30w toy. I dont know anything about the model number or brand of the sub, but if you give me those details I can better suggest a proper amp for it.