PDA

View Full Version : Bullshit ticket from liar cop....

Toma
11-12-2003, 02:05 AM
I am driving home after a movie with my GF. Came up Macleod, then along 4th ave to center street. 1/2 block before center, there is a cop with his lights on sitting still. I go around him, and head up center street. Half way up the bridge, I see a set of headlights coming on fast, and then cherries. I pull over really slowly...

He claims I was doing 75, and that he "clocked me from a distance". He blatantly lied. At no time could he have had the opportunity to clock me. And I was doing well under 60..... I chekcd my speedo the moment I notice the lights accelerating to catch me.

So the dilemna....go to court and take a registered owner (pay fine, no points), or fight for whats right. Man, I wish you could go to court and call the cop a liar to his fucking face.

Toma

ryder_23
11-12-2003, 02:08 AM
calgary cops dont have moving radar...while their moving that is....so that means he coulda clockd you, before you passed him...or right after you passed him, etc...

ninjak84
11-12-2003, 02:16 AM
I've tried to deal with a ticket exactly like this before.
No matter how you deal with it, you'll lose. The very second you even begin to imply the officer lied/made a mistake, the judge will hate you more than Paris Hilton hates the internet. I spent a long and hard time with my case, and I was turned down at every angle I could come up with.
Eventually, I figured it wasn't worth the small ticket to keep up the fight.

403Gemini
11-12-2003, 02:32 AM
cops like these are fuckers :( i hate em! gives the rest of em a bad name

Dope Dealer
11-12-2003, 03:03 AM
A family friend of ours had a problem like this. Except he got out of his car and told the officer he wanted to see the radar reading on his gun and the police told him to get back into his car.. but he got out anyways and noticed there was no reading on the gun so they officer told him that he would 'let him off' with a seat belt ticket instead. This was in Airdrie though.... This guy has challenged the cops so many times and always gets off.

403Gemini
11-12-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer
A family friend of ours had a problem like this. Except he got out of his car and told the officer he wanted to see the radar reading on his gun and the police told him to get back into his car.. but he got out anyways and noticed there was no reading on the gun so they officer told him that he would 'let him off' with a seat belt ticket instead. This was in Airdrie though.... This guy has challenged the cops so many times and always gets off.

this could also be fined if you do this in calgary, i HIGHLY wouldnt recommend bein a cocky shit here. its pretty much bein a threat to em if you get out and approach em.

itsnotaDUB
11-12-2003, 03:24 AM
my best sugestion would be to fight it and talk to councel, for the most part they try and help you, tough luck

Spenser
11-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Are you under 18?

Toma
11-12-2003, 09:00 AM
I am 32. "clocked" in calgary means that he simply matched my speed with his car, and checked his speedo to see how fast I was going.

I hate scenarios like this. Your word against the cops....

legendboy
11-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Man, I wish you could go to court and call the cop a liar to his fucking face.

you can :dunno: I would.

B17a
11-12-2003, 09:08 AM
I am 32. "clocked" in calgary means that he simply matched my speed with his car, and checked his speedo to see how fast I was going.

I hate scenarios like this. Your word against the cops....

I'm sure this is helping your already stellar opinion of cops!:D

BigMass
11-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Good luck man. Either way you're getting fucked by the "man". If you have the time and money i would go to court and fight it. Don't say the cop is a liar, but say that you constantly checked your speed and the there is no chance that you were speeding. Get your GF to testify as a witness that you were not speeding. Suggest that even though the cop was doing his job, he made a mistake.

It would pretty much be you and your GF word against the cop's. It's up to the judge to decide. Just because some looser that probably failed out of school wears a blue shirt and carries a gun does not mean he's God!

alloroc
11-12-2003, 09:15 AM
Clocked means 'not radar' does it not?

Take him to court.

Ask him how you were clocked.

If he says with a stopwatch then ask him what he used as a distance reference. If it wasn't measured you can't be clocked. If it was measured you can and prove his innacuracy is due parallax error because he admitted it was from a distance. You can also catch him on physics.

After getting his 'measured distance' ask him what the timing was, to the tenth of a second. If he doesn't know then you should be 1/2 way out the door on a dismissal. If he does guess a number calculate it. If it doesn't match your ticket your done.

Secondly you should go and measure the distance from where he was parked and the place where you stopped. You could even video the distance if you know someone with a rally odometer. (show both the car's OD and the rally OD to prove both are correct) Then bust him on physics. Ask him how long it took him to catch you ... calculate his 'apparent' speed based on how long he said. Then ask him how fast he was going, using the measured distance calculate how long it should have taken him to catch you at that speed. Note that is is quite important to ask the questions and calculate without giving any answers, present your answers and proof of distance measured after. Just ask the judge politely for a couple of extra minutes to calculate each answer. (having the formula's pre-programmed into a calculator is a good idea.) One or probably both of those numbers will be way off and that should be enough to show his judgement in clocking you is wrong. Not only that but it makes him look like an ass in court.

Davetronz
11-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Right, he could have clocked you while standing still right after you passed if his gun was on.
However, he could have also paced with you, matched speeds and distances to approximate speed, and in the last case he may have just approximated the speed.
All which are legal...

rc2002
11-12-2003, 09:45 AM
It's because the cops have a ticket quota. They have to give at least one ticket every shift (20 tickets a month).

I bought a radar/laser jammer, but if a cop really wants to give you a ticket he doesn't even need to use radar/laser.

The demerits won't hurt you that much since you're 32 so if you want to go and call the cop a liar to his face, then you totally could. But the judge will always take the cops word over yours.

kenny
11-12-2003, 09:52 AM
"clocked" can mean anything, radar, laser, or estimate.

w3apon
11-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Just go to court, chances are he won't even show up and it will be thrown out.
Have them book it for a Monday morning or Friday afternoon, or someday just before or after a holiday.
I've gone to court twice for speeding (radar) and both times they did not show up and it they were both thrown out.

Wrath
11-12-2003, 10:59 AM
You know, it was actually good that it happened. I have got quite a few bullshit tickets in my life, and my GF never believed me before.

You should have seen how mad she was last night.... I had to keep her calm so she would not call him a liar. She could not beleive what she saw. It was too funny. Even this morning she was like "how can they just do that"..... welcome to the real world. we are just pawns....

Toma
11-12-2003, 11:00 AM
OOOPS, the above post "wrath" was me.... its a guy I work with and he was still logged onto this computer from yesterday....

ryder_23
11-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by w3apon
Just go to court, chances are he won't even show up and it will be thrown out.

Actually chances are they will show up. They dont do all there paper work for nothing.

EnRich
11-12-2003, 12:43 PM
This is a perfect example of why I hate cops so much... Funny how some ppl on this forum actually cry when I start speaking about topics like these...

Rich

link785
11-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I bought a radar/laser jammer, but if a cop really wants to give you a ticket he doesn't even need to use radar/laser.

Congratulations, there is no such thing as a radar / laser jammer. Great advice :thumbsdow

As for you Toma, if you were clocked using a radar gun or something to that effect, then I guess you were speeding. Otherwise, my question would be, why did the cop pull YOU over and not someone else? Maybe you're the one who is bullshitting?

ryder_23
11-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
It's because the cops have a ticket quota. They have to give at least one ticket every shift (20 tickets a month).

they have lowered the ticket quota...and no they didnt have to write a ticket every shift. They could wait till the last day to write 20 tickets if need be.

and as to your radar/laser jammer, :rofl:

the only jammers that work, are laser jammers, well atleast i have heard that workd, never heard of a radar jammer work...

Oh toma, on the ticket does it say radar/laser or paced, estimated, etc....

Toma
11-12-2003, 01:22 PM
clocking and radar is 2 different things.

There are definatley radar and laser jammers. Not entirely legal, but they are real.

Why did he pull me over?? Dunno.... 1:00 am on a Holday tuesday/wednesday, maybe he was bored.

They have all the incentive in the world to write bullshit tickets. Court time is time and a half, and they are paid for the full morning even if court takes 20 minutes.... easy money. ???

ryder_23
11-12-2003, 01:25 PM
it says on ticket....

he marks off how he got ur speed

4wheeldrift
11-12-2003, 01:28 PM

Toma
11-12-2003, 01:30 PM
CLOCKED !!

I was not the one that was guessing, and got no idea how the word "radar" got thrown in here. I was CLOCKED, meaning paced. There was no radar unit in the car.... I went to talk to him after and ask him a few questions which he refused to answer....

a balaclava, tube sock and some frozen ornages sound like they are in order :D :poosie:

link785
11-12-2003, 01:32 PM
There are definatley radar and laser jammers. Not entirely legal, but they are real.

Laser jammers, yes, legal and you can purchase them in stores.

Radar jammers, so-so. In the past before they were deemed illegal by the FCC, they were able to jam X-band and K-band radar. With the increased use of the super-wide Ka-band by law enforcement, we don't really know if an active radar jammer could even jam that frequency. That and active radar jammers are illegal to use. If you're caught using one, I'd expect to see jail time.

Anyways, back to your ticket problem. Call POINTTS?

rice_eater
11-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Man, I wish you could go to court and call the cop a liar to his fucking face.

Why can't you? Freedom of speach :rofl:

RC-Cola
11-12-2003, 04:20 PM
It is your right to go to court to try and defend yourself if you feel that you have received an unjust ticket...

However, I would suggest that you go into court with more than the cop is a liar is wrong. The judge won't take your side.

Get your girlfriend to be your witness to say the same thing your saying, you weren't speeding, the road conditions wouldn't allow for excessive speeding and so on. Take pictures of the road, state it would be difficult if not impossible for the cop to keep line of site on your car to be able to gauge your speed. Chance are if you go and talk with the PA with a logical agruement they will let you off or at least reduce your ticket.

Good Luck...

Idratherbsidewayz
11-12-2003, 04:32 PM
So you guys are completely sure cops don't have radar in their cars whjile they are moving. So say a cop passes you on the other side of the road, he doesn't know how fast you are going?

Maxt
11-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Toma, ask for full disclosure, it means they have to bring the cop car, and the mechanic that last worked on it to the court, in order to use its speedo as evidence , it must also have a current calibration record, then ask the cop how far he paced you to determine your speed... If he was at a standstill, what was his intercept speed? Was he in a marked car? I find it odd that anyone would blow past a marked car at high speeds, especially one with its lights on, I also don't know how anyone could do 75 through that area of town even at 1 am, there is to much action in chinatown to blast through there, I could see 60 at the most, and that would be pushing it through there...How far up the bridge did you get?

I know cops have been really pushing the limit with laser radar in Calgary, they have been clocking people from long distances with it, beyond what it is designed for, from wierd locations, and then planting a car down the road to pull people over... On bow trail last week, there was an unmarked car lasering people from the eastside dodge turnout, when they were coming out of downtown, I was 2nd or 3rd in a large group of cars, the cop jumped out onto bow trail and pulled over a car that was going slower than the rest of us, we were catching up to it, but the traffic was maybe 2 km of the limit, I think that may be what happened to you, they had a laser gun with a cop hiding somewhere, and then they tagged you from some ridiculous location, and its probably a very questionable ticket...Max

Ben
11-12-2003, 06:08 PM
EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD WHO DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKIN CLUE WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT PLEASE SIT ON YOUR HANDS!!!

pinoyhero
11-12-2003, 06:16 PM
If you have the time and a decent case, going to court is always better ,things can only get better as far as fine and demeits.

Toma
11-12-2003, 06:34 PM
max.... yeah, not only was it a regular cop car, he had his cherries flashing while sitting still when I passed him on fourth.

I turned up center street, the light was red on second ave, I slowed to about 20, but the light went green. I accelerated gradually. About the middle of the bridge, I notice a car coming up onto me hard. By the last lion, he flicked his cherries on.

So, my guess is that from the 2nd ave lights, to somewhere the middle of the bridge is when he thought he clocked me at 75. What is strange about this is that I was probably accelerating for most of this time.

He also told me that by the time he turned the corner onto center, that I was already on my way up the hill. He would not specify where or how exactly he clocked me, only that he did it "from a distance" and behind me. He just kept saying "we can talk about it in court". I wish they would pay me time and a half for wasting my fucking time going to court.... :banghead:

Toma

4G63Power
11-12-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Ben
EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD WHO DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKIN CLUE WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT PLEASE SIT ON YOUR HANDS!!!

:rofl: :rofl: Good call Benny

link785
11-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
I think that may be what happened to you, they had a laser gun with a cop hiding somewhere, and then they tagged you from some ridiculous location

Quite possible.

5.9 R/T
11-12-2003, 10:46 PM
I suggest that before you make any decisions on HOW to fight the ticket go take a look at the officers notes. They are a pain in the ass to get but you would get a better idea of what he was thinking/doing to make him pull you over and give you a ticket. Good luck!

Maxt
11-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Yeah, if you can do what 5.9 litre suggests, I see that as a good way to see what the cop was thinking, and if you can form a defence from it...I think even the police notebooks become public domain if they are written on the job...If you really want your full dollar value, you can even get the all the printed radio and data transcripts from the cruiser to see what he called in you for on the radio..
With the way insurance is dumping people because of accidents and tickets, it makes alot more economic sense to fight tickets now than it use to, not to mention the cost of the ticket itself..Maxt

sexualbanana
11-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
Get your GF to testify as a witness that you were not speeding.

Originally posted by RC-Cola
Get your girlfriend to be your witness to say the same thing your saying, you weren't speeding, the road conditions wouldn't allow for excessive speeding and so on.

She can't testify and even if she did, she's technically a compromised witness because she's so close to Toma.

googe
11-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Be sure to let us know the outcome of this after you take it to court.

Racin Ranger
11-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Not that this will help, but several years ago I was pulled over because I had accelerated rather swiftly from an intersection, catching the attention of a marked cruiser. When he remarked that he had to do 110 to catch me, I immediately stated, "really! and how fast was I going when you finally caught up? 80k right!? " He was pretty pissed at my comment and said that he'd have no problem proving that I was speeding. I told him to go ahead and fine me then! He then decided to check everything on my truck to see if he could fine me for something else. He was giving me a hard time about having a tinted back window until I shot him down, showing him that I had rear view mirrors on both sides, and according to his little book, I can have a blacked out rear window. He made some jackass comment like "oh, we have a lawer here! " before he let me leave without any fine.

If I were you I'd go to court and fight the ticket, in order for him to catch you from a stop he would have had to exceed your speed for quite some time, and the quicker he caught up to you the faster he would have been going. Then, he would have to travel at your speed for clocking purposes.

Good luck
Trev

5.9 R/T
11-14-2003, 03:05 AM
I see that as a good way to see what the cop was thinking, and if you can form a defence from it...I think even the police notebooks become public domain if they are written on the job...

Exactly, this way you will know what method he used to 'guesstimate' your speed, and if speeding wasn't the original reason for pulling you over that should be there as well.

Originally posted by sexualbanana

She can't testify and even if she did, she's technically a compromised witness because she's so close to Toma.

Not true, she can testify as a witness.

nismodrifter
11-14-2003, 03:17 AM
lemme call Grissom.....he'll be able to help you out... ;)

I would definately like to know the outcome of this one when it goes to court (and the story about what went on in court as well.)

ICEBERG
11-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Hey Tom, isn't this like your 50th ticket you got since we where teens. I think on their computer your a marked man.;) :D :eek: :banghead:

link785
11-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
Hey Tom, isn't this like your 50th ticket you got since we where teens. I think on their computer your a marked man.;) :D :eek: :banghead:

Hmmmmmmm, interesting history, maybe it wasn't the cop who was at fault here....

Hollywood
11-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Toma, ask for full disclosure, it means they have to bring the cop car, and the mechanic that last worked on it to the court, in order to use its speedo as evidence , it must also have a current calibration record, then ask the cop how far he paced you to determine your speed... If he was at a standstill, what was his intercept speed? Was he in a marked car? I find it odd that anyone would blow past a marked car at high speeds, especially one with its lights on, I also don't know how anyone could do 75 through that area of town even at 1 am, there is to much action in chinatown to blast through there, I could see 60 at the most, and that would be pushing it through there...How far up the bridge did you get?

I know cops have been really pushing the limit with laser radar in Calgary, they have been clocking people from long distances with it, beyond what it is designed for, from wierd locations, and then planting a car down the road to pull people over... On bow trail last week, there was an unmarked car lasering people from the eastside dodge turnout, when they were coming out of downtown, I was 2nd or 3rd in a large group of cars, the cop jumped out onto bow trail and pulled over a car that was going slower than the rest of us, we were catching up to it, but the traffic was maybe 2 km of the limit, I think that may be what happened to you, they had a laser gun with a cop hiding somewhere, and then they tagged you from some ridiculous location, and its probably a very questionable ticket...Max

Max is on to something here toma. Since you can get off a ticket for a speedo calibration problem, why cant a cop that is guessing your speed with his speedo have calibration issues too. Does that specific car have a record of it's last speedo calibration? etc you get my point.

P.S. I pled not guilty to a speeding ticket...I almost one but the judge said he could not make an exception etc...so I lost. He was nice to me though.

Penny
12-09-2003, 07:28 AM
HI new to forum read with interest the speeding issue. October of this year my son was approximately 800 meters from the entrance to our drive when a local cop was driving past him. It was a wet snowy day and the cop was travelling southbound my son north the cop was behind a large pulp truck said he clocked my son at LOR at 103 when he passed him. My son said he was not going that fast and we intend to fight it in court. I assume the LOR means radar. Correct me if I am wrong. The cop noted in his black book that he was reducing speed quickly, and turned into White Wolf resort trying to get away. What a crock this was where he lived. From what I have read he should not even been using his radar that day since the weather conditions were poor, there is an airport close by, transmission lines another large vehicle and since the temp was 2 degree he was probably operating his defroster in his car. To top all this off this all occured on a curve where the cops visiblilty was lessened so it would have almost been nill as far as getting a visual tracking record. This should be interesting in court and we are looking forward to going. They are shits the cops in small towns, they love to go on triips cause they are so bored. Just wanted to add to the forum and comments will be read.

drc35ca
08-30-2004, 05:42 PM
If You look at the Police Officers Oath it does not mention anywhere that he or she has to uphold the constitution of Canada! Its all for the Majesty The Queen!

ZorroAMG
08-30-2004, 11:01 PM
WTF does that have to do with ANYTHING in this thread and WHY bump it with useless info???? damn boobs.

finboy
08-30-2004, 11:12 PM
what is with all the lame n00bs lately? time for a mass banning.

Rockski
08-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

i would be willing to bet that that "cop" was none other that officer marsh... one of the worst cops in airdrie and is notorious for being just a total prick... ive only had a single run in with him and he abuses his power way too often. (other people have had the misfortune of dealing with him) he pulled me over one time because i had a broken muffler (just happened too) which i can understand, it wasnt the quietest car on the road, but most cars with performance mufflers and what not are much louder and i got a ticket out of that

Go4Long
08-31-2004, 12:07 AM
cops in calgary do have moving radar...look on their dash to the left of the instrument cluster(edit: that'd be their left)...big white circle...looks a lot like their hand held units.

If you go to court, make sure to mention your speed(I forgot:banghead: ) if it is your word against his, the presumption of innocence wins out. get your speedometer calibration verrified by a place like mr speedometer...then it is straight up your word against his...he can't prove you're lying, you have never stated that he's lying...innocent till proven guilty.

TKRIS
08-31-2004, 06:14 PM
You were in your viper-eating omni weren't you?lol

*throws one up for turbomustangs*

Toms-SC
08-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by drc35ca
If You look at the Police Officers Oath it does not mention anywhere that he or she has to uphold the constitution of Canada! Its all for the Majesty The Queen!
urg, idiot
see the date on this thread?

ex1z7
09-02-2004, 02:53 AM
Why cant she witness, and compromised witness? if you witness your brother killing your mom.. and you see it.. you arent compromised >_> ... i think ... at least, they dont do that in Law and Order :rofl:

Go4Long
09-12-2004, 10:40 AM
she can witness as long as she doesn't hear his testimony(as far as I understood it) I had my buddy come down to witness for me, he was allowed to testify, but they made him sit outside while I testified so it was his own testimony, not just mine rehashed

statick
09-12-2004, 11:36 AM
shitty deal, hate it when that sht happens, similar ting hapend to a guy i know