PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg store owner faces assault charge after death of shoplifter

masoncgy
09-23-2009, 08:44 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/09/22/mb-beardy-beating-charges-winnipeg.html

A 61-year-old Winnipeg store owner is facing a charge of aggravated assault after the death of a 29-year-old woman caught trying to steal a can of luncheon meat from his convenience store.

Police allege Geraldine Beardy was confronted by the owner of Okay Groceries on Sherbrook Street in Winnipeg as she was trying to steal the food item, worth $1.49, on Sept. 13.

She was assaulted before she fled to a nearby residence, police said.

Police were notified of the assault on Sept. 15, and Beardy died Sept. 18.

Beardy's mother, Louise Keno, told CBC News on Monday that her daughter had been hit with a bat at Okay Groceries and later lapsed into a coma.

The mother of three was taken off life support on Friday, Keno said.

JAYMEZ
09-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Wow Winnipeg...

Super_Geo
09-23-2009, 08:51 AM
They're always after that catfood...

Crymson
09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
It's out of control

My GF is from winnipeg, and the stories she tells of the random violence there is just inhuman.

beyond_ban
09-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
They're always after that catfood...

Ya, just a bunch of prawns.

sputnik
09-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
My GF is from winnipeg, and the stories she tells of the random violence there is just inhuman.

I grew up in Winnipeg. Lived there for 22+ years. My mom and sister still live there. I know what it is like in Winnipeg.

Either your girlfriend is exaggerating or you are just looking for attention by trolling.

Proyecto2000
09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Ya, just a bunch of prawns.

:rofl:

J NRG
09-23-2009, 09:59 AM

SneakyNeek
09-23-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/canada/2009/09/23/11066606-sun.html

CUG
09-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

I grew up in Winnipeg. Lived there for 22+ years. My mom and sister still live there. I know what it is like in Winnipeg.

Either your girlfriend is exaggerating or you are just looking for attention by trolling. I lived there too. There's no defending the place. It's not the way it was when our parents lived there dude, it's much MUCH worse/out of control, indianized.

GQBalla
09-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I lived there too. There's no defending the place. It's not the way it was when our parents lived there dude, it's much MUCH worse/out of control, indianized.

werd, the GFs family was just telling us how bad it is there now.

good thing i get to go to a wedding there next year

sputnik
09-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I lived there too. There's no defending the place. It's not the way it was when our parents lived there dude, it's much MUCH worse/out of control, indianized.

Indianized? WTF is that supposed to mean? I don't question that native people have their issues, however it is far from anywhere CLOSE to as bad as some people on this thread claim that it is. Especially those that have never lived there.

The same could be said for Calgary in some ways. Except it just happens to be a couple different races here. However no one on this forum wants to claim that Calgary is "Asianized".

Would you want to be the guy eating Pho at Bolsa on New Years Day? Probably not. Might be shot by some Asians shooting an Indian (different kind of Indian).

Would you want to be a student walking through a downtown park only to get hit in the face by a stray bullet from an Asian gang member and convicted criminal (attempted murder and armed robbery in 1997) arguing with a drug dealer over a missing cell phone?

If you think that a few recent headlines make Winnipeg any worse than Calgary, you are mistaken.

Sure. It isn't as polished as Calgary. It certainly doesn't benefit from any oil/gas revenues. However to imply that it is the next Mogadishu isn't exactly accurate either.

At the end of the day. Most criminal acts happen to those who associate with criminals, and the odd random attack is still fairly uncommon.

Pahnda
09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
^^
Yeah, those two babies this month were real hardcore kingpins.

http://rookery3.viary.com/storagev12/1250000/1250482_53b2_625x1000.jpg

SneakyNeek
09-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Calgary is Asianized, I don't have a problem admitting it

sputnik
09-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda
^^
Yeah, those two babies this month were real hardcore kingpins.

As shocking as both incidents were... neither were random.

The first baby was attacked by someone who was drinking in that house earlier and clearly had some serious psychological issues. At any rate she was invited into the house earlier and was known by the residents inside. Interestingly enough no one seems to be giving any credit to the kid who saw and stopped the attack. Maybe there are good people out there.

The second baby was attacked during a domestic dispute where the male attacked the female who was holding the baby. Tragic... but in reality... collateral damage.

ZenOps
09-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, but somehow I don't see Asian Calgarians killing each other over a $1.49 tin of spam. Bad cocaine deal - sure maybe. Which IMO, puts the crimes here much more on a "LA" level, and not a "Detroit" level.

Winnipeg is bad, fight a woman over a stolen tin of meat... Yeesh.

scat19
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
$1.49, $500, a Car, a purse. Theft is theft. I'm glad she got caught and hit by a bat.

TorqueDog
09-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Either your girlfriend is exaggerating or you are just looking for attention by trolling. I lived there for 21 years, and in the past six years, things have gotten exponentially worse in Winnipeg. I side with CUG on this.

sputnik
09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I lived there for 21 years, and in the past six years, things have gotten exponentially worse in Winnipeg. I side with CUG on this.

How old are you?

240SX92
09-23-2009, 01:04 PM
What else is there to do in Winnipeg? :dunno:

Might as well commit some crime.

God I hated that city when I lived there. So boring. As for it's violence issue (I don't recall the violence being a problem, I was 14-16 living there so I don't really have an opinion) but doesn't this sum it up?

But Ralph became a statistic in a city where any math involving crime is greeted with a cringe. Statistics Canada's 2008 Violent Crime Severity Index, which weighs the severity of homicides, assaults and robberies, ranks Winnipeg as 162.5, nearly double Toronto's rate of 95.8, and far above Calgary's 89.7.

sputnik
09-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 240SX92
God I hated that city when I lived there. So boring. As for it's violence issue (I don't recall the violence being a problem, I was 14-16 living there so I don't really have an opinion)

I think that is pretty much the case for any junior high kid moved to a new city and away from their friends and school.

sputnik
09-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Yeah, but somehow I don't see Asian Calgarians killing each other over a $1.49 tin of spam. Bad cocaine deal - sure maybe. Which IMO, puts the crimes here much more on a "LA" level, and not a "Detroit" level.

Winnipeg is bad, fight a woman over a stolen tin of meat... Yeesh.

Go to Chinatown and get caught stealing.

See if they reach for the phone or their weapon first.

gatorade
09-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Would you want to be the guy eating Pho at Bolsa on New Years Day? Probably not. Might be shot by some Asians shooting an Indian (different kind of Indian).

Actually if you read the news all of the suspects arrested for that were not asian