PDA

View Full Version : What compact/mid SUV would you buy?

snoop101
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Hello all

So been really thinking about trading in the BMW convertible for a SUV. Im thinking around the 2006-2008 mark is good since it will have low Km, still some warrenty, and at its best value.

So far what I have found is that the Nissan Xterra is one of the best for casual off road and around town. I do like the hummer H3, but because GM is having so many issues im not sure I could buy one just because that.

So what would you guys buy for Calgary and why.

Tarrantula
09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
I would buy a nissan Murano. good AWD system, that is still lockable, good hp, great mileage for a V6.. plus lots of them still have warranty. in fact my 2005 has 60 000k more or 3.5 years of warranty left.

snoop101
09-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
I would buy a nissan Murano. good AWD system, that is still lockable, good hp, great mileage for a V6.. plus lots of them still have warranty. in fact my 2005 has 60 000k more or 3.5 years of warranty left.

Seems more like a in town SUV. Would you feel comfortable taking it off road?

When I say casual off road i mean like in the mountians, but not hard core mud bogging, going through rivers or hill climbing.

Masked Bandit
09-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Being that the H3 is a spinoff of the Colorado platform (I think), I wouldn't go near that with a 10 foot pole. To me the H3 is for posers that can't / won't spend the money on a real Hummer (which is a whole other conversation).

I've always been a big fax of the Xterra. Are you looking for any kind of fuel mileage? If so, look elsewhere. The Xterra will use almost as much gas as a full size.

What about a Pathfinder / 4Runner?

Tarrantula
09-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

What about a Pathfinder / 4Runner?

Still use tonnes more gas than a Murano.

Personally I love mine, traction control, auto AWD or locked in AWD, GREAT mileage (at 80km/hr cruising I get about 30-35MPG on regular)

I would have no problem taking it on trails. Plus its got side airbags if you do decide to roll it ha ha ha.

atgilchrist
09-23-2009, 11:53 AM
+1 for the murano. Great power/mileage balance, relatively sporty.

But it is a cross-over with the corresponding ground clearance, good for "soft-roading", but if you are looking at off-roading, pathfinders are bulletproof.

A bit more expensive, but my dad has a Touareg V8. That thing is unreal on-and-off-road (with its' adjustable air suspension), and is faster than a GTI, but running costs will be a bit higher. But it feels and drives as if carved from a single sheet of metal, and a nice interior.

03ozwhip
09-23-2009, 12:00 PM
i have an 07 Mitsu Outlander, i loke it alot. however, i want something bigger to be honest and more luxury. but if i were in the market for one, you cant beat the value and options that the Outalnder has IMO.

snoop101
09-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I was thinking about a 4runner, but it seems like they changed in 2000 to more of a larger more expensive SUV.

Has anyone ever drove a Jeep liberty with the diesel engine?

03ozwhip
09-23-2009, 12:07 PM
liberty is gay, youll grow out of it real quick its pretty small.

snoop101
09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
The other SUV was a Toyota FJ cruiser. Seen some decent reviews on it.

Hakkola
09-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Murano interior/exterior makes it one of the ugliest SUV's on the road and it's definitely a poor choice for off-roading since it is based on a car chassis.

What is your budget?

snoop101
09-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

What is your budget?

I want to stay in the $28k-$30k mark.

So far from reading reviews on the net is that the Nissan xterra and Toyota fj seem to be at the top. I think the FJ isnt to bad if you get the right color scheme.

Tarrantula
09-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Murano interior/exterior makes it one of the ugliest SUV's on the road and it's definitely a poor choice for off-roading since it is based on a car chassis.

Thats weird because I happen to think it is one of the BEST looking SUV's on the road.. especailly when you line up the rest of them and can stack them like blocks (aka they are fucking all square)

and the interior looks nothing like a square truck interior like most of the others also (MDX, Pathfinder, Etc)

I guess if you want a SUV that looks like every other SUV inside and out.. the Murano isnt for you.

Also, the offroading capabilities are awesome. I have taken it out a few times in the NW fields of airdrie.. with the CVT, there is ALWAYS torque.

Pahnda
09-23-2009, 01:09 PM
+1 for liking the murano interior/exterior... Meanwhile I can't help but think why anyone in their right mind believes the Cayenne, X5/X3, G class (not quite mid I guess but god damn is it bad), or any land rover looks anything other than butt-ass-ugly. Even my friend who owns a cayenne turbo agrees it's f'n ugly... but he's Chinese and didn't want a BMW so he had to get it :P

Kloubek
09-23-2009, 01:11 PM
I'd suggest the FJ as well.

1) Good resale
2) Fantastic offroad
3) Neat and original looks

Muranos are great vehicles - my roomie has one. But I would say it is limited to VERY light offroading- whereby an FJ will at least provide you with true offroad thrills if you want them.

Hummers are fun offroad vehicles, but are crappy quality. And like you said - is anyone really trusting GM right now?

Pathfinders have high depreciation.

I don't think the 4runner is really that big. I think you owe it to yourself to try one out.

Xterra is a good choice; the best vehicle Nissan is making IMO.

snoop101
09-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Anyone know a good sales person at Country Hills Toyota? they got a nice looking Fj there, but when I phoned I got a some female asian that couldent speak english and had no idea what CPO means or if they even finance (which I found out they do on CPO's).

beyond_ban
09-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I would go with the FJ. They look unique, they're well built, hold their value and they have reallllly strong after market support. I have seen a few lifted with mudders and they look nice and aggressive.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/image-files/2007-toyota-fj-cruiser-rubicon-trip-9-07-303.jpg

Danny Meehan
09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
murano xterra fj, unless used, are out of your designated price

the one that would fit financially would be rogue ... but rav 4 would be a slightly better choice for roughly same money (both new)

snoop101
09-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Danny Meehan
murano xterra fj, unless used, are out of your designated price

the one that would fit financially would be rogue ... but rav 4 would be a slightly better choice for roughly same money (both new)

I would never buy new. Imlooking for a 2006-2008.

Danny Meehan
09-23-2009, 02:22 PM
there was a very nice fj for sale i think 06 on auto, b or c package, low clicks too

edit : 07,23k C pack - good price, but not too close
http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Light+Truck+&+SUVs_details/EDMONTON_Alberta_2007_TOYOTA_FJ+CRUISER+4x4+C+PKG_2416912.html?srcid=AVS8935529&source=11&pgno=1&srt=5&CompanyID=&r=calgaryalberta

Tarrantula
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Hell, Ill sell you my 2005 Murano SE for 23k. even has 80000k or 4 year warranty on powertrain.

snoop101
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Anyone know a good sales person at Country Hills Toyota? they got a nice looking Fj there, but when I phoned I got a some female asian that couldent speak english and had no idea what CPO means or if they even finance (which I found out they do on CPO's).

Never mind I found this in a search.....

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-143294.html

GQBalla
09-23-2009, 02:25 PM
i actually wouldn't mind the fj cruiser.

but the x5 is what a GF wants

snoop101
09-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
i actually wouldn't mind the fj cruiser.

but the x5 is what a GF wants

Ya the X3 or X5 is nice. I actually think the x3 would handle the off road better then the X5.

The FJ though I can get in my price range without going over. I can afford more, but saving for a wedding so I rather not go all out.

Danny Meehan
09-23-2009, 02:33 PM
this would be a decent one, G
http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Light+Truck+&+SUVs_details/CALGARY_Alberta_2004_BMW_X5+4.4i+V8_2513436.html?srcid=1152181&source=24&pgno=1&srt=7&CompanyID=&r=calgaryalberta

Kloubek
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
An FJ is entirely in his price range. Yes - used, of course... but there is one on Kijiji with only 18,xxx kms for well under his range. I think that would be a great choice!

Redlyne_mr2
09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I love my FJ, it doesnt have the crisp handling of an X5 or the same prestige but I don't buy an SUV for prestige and handling. It's super smooth, great on gas and gets me to Revelstoke in the middle of January when the highways are worse than you can imagine. It's also heavy duty enough to pull a flatdeck trailer with my mr2 on it and a spare engine. Get yourself a nice neutral color like black, white, sandstrorm, silver, or the new 09 gunmetal color and you'll never grow tired of it.

signature7
09-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Friend has a Murano and he took it for a long cruise in the states, said it was very comfortable but said he wouldn't take it off roading. The interior of what I saw seemed nice, on the luxury side.

If you're looking for a 4runner, pm me, about to go on the market, probably this weekend, got to sort out pictures.

Hakkola
09-23-2009, 08:46 PM

I actually think the x3 would handle the off road better then the X5.

You'd be wrong though, X3 is absolute shit off-road. Again it's a cross-over. Those things are not meant for off road driving.

X5 is a nice SUV.

dino_martini
09-23-2009, 08:55 PM
You may find this of interest:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/06q2/2006_hummer_h3_vs._2006_jeep_grand_cherokee_2006_nissan_xterra_2007_toyota_fj_cruiser-comparison_tests

Tik-Tok
09-23-2009, 08:58 PM

I think the FJ isnt to bad if you get the right color scheme.

It's a good choice, as long as it isn't the smurf colours :rofl:

Do yourself a favour, and set some cash aside to repaint the white top. I've seen a few that have non-white tops, and they look 100% better.

Sugarphreak
09-23-2009, 09:51 PM

dino_martini
09-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Sugarphreak

what sort of deal did you cut on the H3t?

we are sort of in the market for that type of vehicle. I would be interested to hear what sort of deal Shaw is putting out there.

Redlyne_mr2
09-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I actually just went through a similar type of thing, we ended up going with the H3T over a lot of other "nicer" SUV's because the value and features it came with were outstanding. I did a quick write up on it, have a read when you have some time; http://forums.beyond.ca/st/269062/new-wheels-4x4/

You don't have to worry that much about the Warranty, basically if GM sells it to you they are obligated to honor your warranty even if Hummer gets sold off.

It sounds like they are selling it to the Chinese, but that company is setting up it's main headquarters in Michigan... so I doubt anything is going to change that much anyway.

They should still have some 09's left over at Shaw; you can cut some crazy deals on them right now. I honestly couldn't believe what we picked ours up for.

I like the FJ a lot, but it drinks premium fuel and also has that giant blind spot along the back sides. In the end I had to remove it from my list because I just couldn't get past the poor visibility.

I use Mohawk 90(their regular)in mine, I dont understand why Toyota required premium, it's not necessary for this truck. The blind spot in the back was bad when i first test drove the car, with anything in life you learn to evolve and get used to things. I have no problems with it now.

Sugarphreak
09-24-2009, 07:46 AM

Masked Bandit
09-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Doesn't the Murano have that goofy CVT transmission? Or is that just on some of the newer ('09 and up) models?

snoop101
09-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Has anyone got financing from the following companies?

-Nissan
-Toyota
-GM

What kinda of rates on new or used?
Also how are they to deal with?

I have financing through BMW. 1.9% which is nice and BMW finance dept. is really awesome. When you phone them they know what there talking about and I can also get my balance. Was really easy to get the financing as well.

atgilchrist
09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Doesn't the Murano have that goofy CVT transmission? Or is that just on some of the newer ('09 and up) models?

Murano's always had a CVT, it actually works very well. Takes a little while to get used to it, but the acceleration is much more smoother than a traditional auto.

Tarrantula
09-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

Murano's always had a CVT, it actually works very well. Takes a little while to get used to it, but the acceleration is much more smoother than a traditional auto.

I love my CVT, kinda weird in the beginning.. but holy shit can it pull when it locks in at 4400rpm.. ALL THE TORQUE!

dino_martini
09-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Nisasan was sitting at 0% when we were down there on monday

snoop101
09-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Nisasan was sitting at 0% when we were down there on monday

on CPO's?

Masked Bandit
09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Okay, I'll bite. What's a "CPO"?

I'm guessing it's not a Cash Purchase Offer, otherwise you wouldn't care about finance rate.

prae
09-24-2009, 02:40 PM
certified pre-owned i assume

snoop101
09-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by prae
certified pre-owned i assume

Ya certified Pre owned.
BMW and audi I know will only give you in house financing and a decent rate if there CPO.

Not to sure how the asian companies do it though.

I did talk to Land rover today and they said they can do in house financing on most of there stock.

Sometimes theres a catch though and they say there doing it in house but are really checking out the banks.

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Always be careful with in house financing, lots of catches. BMW, and Audi have .9% on CPO iirc. Lexus/toyota is 3.9/4.9, not sure on the domestics and other imports. Definitely some good rates out there though if you're shopping used.

snoop101
09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Always be careful with in house financing, lots of catches. BMW, and Audi have .9% on CPO iirc. Lexus/toyota is 3.9/4.9, not sure on the domestics and other imports. Definitely some good rates out there though if you're shopping used.

Just talked to a guy at country hills Toyota since there the only place that has FJ's and he told me Toyota doesent do inhouse and that the banks start at %5.9 and up.

Ya I have BMW financing for my car and have been very pleased, but im sure theres some that you should watch for.

I noticed that theres is a lot of miss info out there with the sales people. One sales person at Nissan said that Nissan doesent do in house financing, then a day later I phoned a different Nissan and they said that Nissan does to inhouse Financing.

jonnycat
09-24-2009, 05:01 PM
In house can mean a lot of different things to different people.

Technically, it is dealer backed paper, which I wouldn't want simply from an interest rate perspective.

Most people assume that if a dealer has a finance office, that it is in house, while thge paper is outsourced to major lender which is the best route most of the time.

FJ's rule other than their little back doors which was a deal killer for me.

snoop101
09-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
In house can mean a lot of different things to different people.

Technically, it is dealer backed paper, which I wouldn't want simply from an interest rate perspective.

Most people assume that if a dealer has a finance office, that it is in house, while thge paper is outsourced to major lender which is the best route most of the time.

FJ's rule other than their little back doors which was a deal killer for me.

what I found dealing with BMW finance is that they look less into your background. I got approved in 2 hours and at that time my company was only a few months old. They did base it on my last 2 years of income taxes though, but I heard though that bank are really picky and usually if they see anything not good they crank up the interest rate.

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Just talked to a guy at country hills Toyota since there the only place that has FJ's and he told me Toyota doesent do inhouse and that the banks start at %5.9 and up.

Ya I have BMW financing for my car and have been very pleased, but im sure theres some that you should watch for.

I noticed that theres is a lot of miss info out there with the sales people. One sales person at Nissan said that Nissan doesent do in house financing, then a day later I phoned a different Nissan and they said that Nissan does to inhouse Financing.
Yah you're right, I just called my buddy at Stampede Toyota. Lexus does 4.9 on used so I assumed Toyota did the same. Strange.

interlude
09-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Bought an FJ in feb.. best decision of my life! Sold my m3 and bought the TT FJ Cruiser