PDA

View Full Version : Best Pubs with LARGE beer selection.

Ben
09-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Been away for a while over seas and wish to drink what I miss from abroad. Looking for your suggestions on a great place to go for a pint, other than the typical mainstream stuff like Dixon's Public House, The Kilkenny Irish Pub, Limericks Traditional Public House, The Seanachie Irish Pub, The Joyce on 4th Irish Pub, and Donegal Irish Pub (Calgarys Best Pubs Group).

I know of 1410 on 17th (been a couple times), and heard of Bottlescrew Bills and 1600 (owned by the same group) Are they any good? They boast over 200 brands of beer and 65 Single Malt Scotches (which I'm keen on)

I live in McKenzie lake, so the Limericks/Brewsters/Kilt et al are well travelled.

Any suggestions for a great watering hole would be much appreciated. Just great beer, obscure or otherwise, and a friendly environment, not a depressing hovel loaded with out of work tradespeople, and VLT's.

Cheers! Prost!

msommers
09-24-2009, 07:04 AM
1600 kicks ass! And you're right it's owned by the same group as 1410.

scat19
09-24-2009, 08:25 AM
1410 is nice - I like my "london pride"

I know what you mean about the out of work tradespeople or just got off work tradespeople - go home and shower THEN go to the pub lol.

88CRX
09-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Bottlescrews has a shit ton of beers.... I frequently visit their establishment as its close to the office. I'm not a big beer drinker but my friends are and they love it there. You can even do their around the world in 200 beers (forget the actual amount) and get a plague or something.

Pollywog
09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Ben
I live in McKenzie lake, so the Limericks/Brewsters et al are well travelled.

Any suggestions for a great watering hole would be much appreciated. Just great beer, obscure or otherwise, and a friendly environment, not a depressing hovel loaded with out of work tradespeople, and VLT's.
I also live in that area, and Brewsters and Limericks were getting old for me as well. A fantastic pub I have frequented for the past few years now - which is also close to us - is The Darby Arms, across from the Wingate Hotel.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/mapdata.gif

Lots of different beers on tap, experienced bartenders, awesome service, and great environment. You have no idea how nice it is to get off work and have my choice of either sitting bar-side with a cold brew, or in a lounge chair by their fireplace with some spiced cider.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/images/smilies/leekguitar.gif

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/Picture15.png

GQBalla
09-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Bottlescrews has a shit ton of beers.... I frequently visit their establishment as its close to the office. I'm not a big beer drinker but my friends are and they love it there. You can even do their around the world in 200 beers (forget the actual amount) and get a plague or something.

werd bottlescrews bills has a lot of beers. you can get a passport or something that tracks your beers.

another place that has a lot of beers is belgo, but its not a pub

Tik-Tok
09-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Ben
The Kilkenny Irish Pub, Limericks Traditional Public House, The Seanachie Irish Pub, The Joyce on 4th Irish Pub, and Donegal Irish Pub (Calgarys Best Pubs Group).

Lol, I always have to laugh now when someone calls those places "Irish" pubs. They're about as Irish as Mel Gibson.

Anyways, sorry to hi-jack.

RX_EVOLV
09-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I LOVE 1600. Very selection of beer (unlike 1410, they actually have alot of tap), cheap beer special everynight., lots of TV, good looking waitress, good service. Love it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

beyond_ban
09-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Rose and Crown off of 15th ave on 4th street has a pretty good selection, and the biggest assortment of MILFs in town.

Smartiepants
09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll continue the 1600 vouch, great selection, great staff.

battleaxe1
09-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Lol, I always have to laugh now when someone calls those places "Irish" pubs. They're about as Irish as Mel Gibson.

:werd:

nonlinear
09-24-2009, 11:12 AM
bottlescrew bills, most definitely.

also, the Hop in Brew on about 1st and 12th SE is fucking awesome. They don't have a huge selection (maybe about 8), but what they do is great - nice variety of local microbrews ONLY. they also make some really good pizza. the atmosphere is great as well. it's in an old house, and it's calm and relaxing, and you can actually take out your laptop and get some work done there if you want.

Ben
09-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog

I also live in that area, and Brewsters and Limericks were getting old for me as well. A fantastic pub I have frequented for the past few years now - which is also close to us - is The Darby Arms, across from the Wingate Hotel.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/mapdata.gif

Lots of different beers on tap, experienced bartenders, awesome service, and great environment. You have no idea how nice it is to get off work and have my choice of either sitting bar-side with a cold brew, or in a lounge chair by their fireplace with some spiced cider.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/images/smilies/leekguitar.gif

Yeah, I forgot about that place, been there a few times, christ, it's been probably 4 years though. I think it was with members of this forum, haha.

You can even do their around the world in 200 beers (forget the actual amount) and get a plague or something.

Excellent, I like the idea of accomplishing something, my name is actually on the wall at a pub in New Zealand for the most Guinness consumed in one night outside of St Patricks Day, haha (I'm born on St Patricks Day, what can I say)

The only downside is this plague you speak of, is it a beer form of H1N1? :rofl: :rofl:

I appreciate the suggestions everone.

Bnasty
09-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Coach and Horses in Millrise/Shawnessy decent list of "On Tap"

spikerS
09-24-2009, 06:14 PM
. You can even do their around the world in 200 beers (forget the actual amount) and get a plague or something.

don't you think that is a little harsh for drinking a few beers?

bspot
09-24-2009, 06:17 PM
^ :rofl:

austic
09-24-2009, 06:49 PM
good micro brews.

http://fergusandbix.com/

88CRX
09-24-2009, 07:07 PM
zing.

trying to work/type at the same time is full of fail.

flipstah
09-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

What's the true definition of an 'Irish' pub? I thought that some of these places were... :dunno:

89s1
09-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

What's the true definition of an 'Irish' pub? I thought that some of these places were... :dunno:

Maybe at a "real" Irish pub they check downstairs for red hair before allowing admittance.

Mitsu3000gt
09-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
bottlescrew bills, most definitely.

also, the Hop in Brew on about 1st and 12th SE is fucking awesome. They don't have a huge selection (maybe about 8), but what they do is great - nice variety of local microbrews ONLY. they also make some really good pizza. the atmosphere is great as well. it's in an old house, and it's calm and relaxing, and you can actually take out your laptop and get some work done there if you want.

:werd: The Hop in Brew is my favourite place. And they had Afflighem on tap :drool: :drool:

r3ccOs
09-25-2009, 12:22 PM
1410 my fav

asp integra
09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by austic
good micro brews.

http://fergusandbix.com/
:werd: i love this place, some different berrs, mostly local, really good, i suggest the whistler ale, one of the best beers ever!

Davetronz
09-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Steak and beer Ben!
We live pretty damn close to each other now too!

Ben
09-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Davetronz
Steak and beer Ben!
We live pretty damn close to each other now too!

Well we've only been talking about ST34K and B33R for like 5 years ffs.

Lets do it up you married mother %^&*$^!!!

swak
09-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Jamesons has a tonn of beer selections.
A less classy version of that would be bottlescrew bills.

After visiting bottlescrew bills though, i found out why i dont try different beers everytime i go to a different pub... Why? Because Heineken is better.

Graham_A_M
09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
^ I love Heineken too, but I never would have found out about it if I didn't try new beers.

So Brewsters, 1410 & Bottlescrew bills are my fav. watering holes. I love a variety most times.

I go to Brewsters the most though, I love the Rivercity raspberry or the blueberry ale.

:angel: :thumbsup:

cooker99
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Never seen an attractive waitress at Bottlescrew Bills.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2009, 06:20 PM
I'll throw in my vote for the Hop Inn Brew. Great place. If the owner is around, and he pretty much always is, you can have a long chat about beer or pizza with him. Those appear to be his two loves.

he's the tall Dutch looking guy. Not sure if he's actually dutch or what.

Top tip: Don't wait at your table for a waitress. Walk yourself to the bar to order.

adidas
09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
How are prices at some of these places on beers that you cant find everywhere?

kertejud2
09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Been away for a while over seas and wish to drink what I miss from abroad. Looking for your suggestions on a great place to go for a pint, other than the typical mainstream stuff like Dixon's Public House, The Kilkenny Irish Pub, Limericks Traditional Public House, The Seanachie Irish Pub, The Joyce on 4th Irish Pub, and Donegal Irish Pub (Calgarys Best Pubs Group).

I know of 1410 on 17th (been a couple times), and heard of Bottlescrew Bills and 1600 (owned by the same group) Are they any good? They boast over 200 brands of beer and 65 Single Malt Scotches (which I'm keen on)

I live in McKenzie lake, so the Limericks/Brewsters/Kilt et al are well travelled.

Cheers! Prost!

While it isn't exactly a convenient watering hole (nor will it fulfill your desire for overseas alcohol), definitely go to the Wild Rose Brewery next to the Farmer's Market every now and then. Good food and even better beer (not a big selection, but quality > quantity). And they'll be more than happy to give tasters if you desire.

As for god places to drink, while I do agree with the "Irishness" and genericness of the 'Best Pubs', their happy hours are tough to beat and they've got a good selection. The Joyce on 4th being very close to my house makes it a very common stop in those hours. However I did prefer that place when it wasn't owned by the Best Pubs crew, unfortunately not enough other people did.

Rose and Crown and the Ship and Anchor are also very popular stops for me, seldomly go to Bottlescrew Bills but I always enjoy it (just a little too far out of the way). Hop Inn probably will become more popular as well.

If its whiskeys you're into try Buchanan's.

Being a beer snob generally my advice is that no beer you have abroad will (or should) taste as good over here as it did there. Good beer doesn't travel well (how IPAs came about). Much in the same way Guinness in North America isn't quite the same as a Guinness in Ireland, it applies to most international brands, they're either brewed in a different place or they just don't travel all that well, either way its a shame to the craft. Local breweries are the ones to embrace.

swak
09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ I love Heineken too, but I never would have found out about it if I didn't try new beers.

:angel: :thumbsup:

But once you find that rad beer (Heineken). My advice is stick with it.
Try a new thing here and there, maybe something else will trump it. But so far, haven't found that yet. :dunno:

kertejud2
09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Thought this was appropriate for this thread :D

http://imgur.com/9IMD0.png

jkupper
09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Bottlescrew bills has the around the world. It costs $5 to get the passport and you get free stuff from the bar every 10 or 15 beers such as a free beer or appetizer. Me and my friends got a big dent in the passport but we got tired/broke to afford the $12 price on some of the import beers.

Oz-
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2

Being a beer snob generally my advice is that no beer you have abroad will (or should) taste as good over here as it did there. Good beer doesn't travel well (how IPAs came about). Much in the same way Guinness in North America isn't quite the same as a Guinness in Ireland, it applies to most international brands, they're either brewed in a different place or they just don't travel all that well, either way its a shame to the craft. Local breweries are the ones to embrace.

Agree with the Wild Rose taproom, great to support local brews. My beer of choice is Velvet Fog, Wild Rose has had some great seasonal brews in the past as well.

teknical
09-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Kilt 'n' Caber in Mckenzie is a good pub, although I don't recall how many different types of brew they had on tap. 1600 in Glenmore Landing has also been good to me so far.

Also you can't beat the 9c wings they have @ 1600 :D

stev0
10-06-2009, 12:36 AM
3 Crowns in Woodlands has a good selection of European beers, even the big bottles. Good place for catching soccer games that most places don't play as well, as one of the owners plays in the English Premier League and for England's national team.

88CRX
10-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I go to Brewsters the most though, I love the Rivercity raspberry or the blueberry ale.

Had a solid dozen of those blueberry ale's the other night :nut:

They go down nice and easy.

Davetronz
10-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by teknical
Kilt 'n' Caber in Mckenzie is a good pub, although I don't recall how many different types of brew they had on tap. 1600 in Glenmore Landing has also been good to me so far.

The kilt has about 25-mainstream beers on tap.
Since Brewsters and Muldoons opened up, there aren't as many people in the kilt which has made service better and food quality go up to compete. I love that place.

ercchry
10-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'll throw in my vote for the Hop Inn Brew. Great place. If the owner is around, and he pretty much always is, you can have a long chat about beer or pizza with him. Those appear to be his two loves.

he's the tall Dutch looking guy. Not sure if he's actually dutch or what.

Top tip: Don't wait at your table for a waitress. Walk yourself to the bar to order.

yup, that is a good tip...

went there for the first time on friday and that pizza was amazing :drool:

10" is more then enough for one very hungry person, and that must be the only place in town with Afflighem on tap...

address was wrong though... it is sw not se and i was confused at first since all it says on the outside is pub... we double checked the address to make sure we were at the right place haha

ekguy
10-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by teknical

can't believe it took this far for this one to be mentioned with the op saying he lives in mackenzy lake. get's my vote