PDA

View Full Version : Boost Controller

Big_Fat
09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
hey guys im looking into getting a boost controller, i got a few questions. i am wondering what would be a better option an electronic or a manual boost controller. i was also thinking about boostig the psi from 10 to 14 maybe 16 psi.

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Whats your budget buddy?

Tik-Tok
09-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Big_Fat
hey guys im looking into getting a boost controller, i got a few questions. i am wondering what would be a better option an electronic or a manual boost controller. i was also thinking about boostig the psi from 10 to 14 maybe 16 psi.

If you can plan on adjust it regularly, go for the electronic. If you're setting it, and forgetting it, go for the manual.

Also, you won't get past 12 psi without modding the fuel cut-off switch.

Big_Fat
09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
my budget is 300$

Big_Fat
09-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If you can plan on adjust it regularly, go for the electronic. If you're setting it, and forgetting it, go for the manual.

so would i have to get a fuel cut defenser? and will i have to adjust the ecu?

blackpeople
09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

And if you are going to get an electric boost controller i highly recomend the Apex-i AVCR over the profec b spec 2. It takes a little bit more to learn but well worth it

Tik-Tok
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM

so would i have to get a fuel cut defenser? and will i have to adjust the ecu?

No ecu adjustment is necessary (for now, lol), you can get a fuel cut defensor, for an outrageous amount of money, or you can make your own for $15 if you're handy with a soldering iron. Just watch your air/fuel if your going to be boosting that high.

DIY Fuel cut defendor (http://toymr2.tripod.com/fcd.html)

mr2mike
09-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Make your own FCD and I think you'd be frustrated with the Profec B. They're not that good IMO. If you're budget is minimal, I would go manual and then use your gas pedal as the boost adjustment. You're not going to be hitting 16psi in Calgary traffic all the time.
Rarely will you touch your boost settings and the money would be better spent on other things.

Big_Fat
09-27-2009, 06:59 PM
so should i just get a manual boost controller? if i get that that do i do what adjustments do i make? also how do i convert kpa to psi my boost guage shows 0.7kpz just wanna know how much psi that is

Stealth13
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
There is 14.4 psi in 1 bar

mr2mike
09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Search, there's ways of using an air compressor to set the controller before you hook it up. Or start with the controller cranked down, then gradually amp it up. If you see it shoot way past 17psi, stop and re-adjust.

Big_Fat
09-28-2009, 06:23 PM
ok cool i heard that if u go past 14psi u can block off a vac hose going to the ecu is that true? i think 12psi is the max i can go without hitting the fuel cut right? so if i got this is it all i need?

http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_105&products_id=385

ibtintn
09-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I have an Greedy EBC its preety good. I like the fact that I can turn on the boost when I want and off when I dont. Very easy to use. My only complant is that it does not hold a constant boost pressure. When I hit the gas it can go as high as 17 psi and fluctuate in between 12-15 psi. I have never used an MBC so I dont know if it would give you a more constant boost level. If you want to run big boost on your MR2 check this link out first. http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

Sentry
09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I've been using one of these for some time now and it's great. Dirt cheap. Search ebay for "NXS boost controller".

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachments/newbie-forum/86354d1218830240-nxs-motorsports-ebay-nxsmotorsports-mbc-boost-controller-review-nxs_mbc2.jpg

Sure you can't adjust it on the fly, but who honestly needs that? Just do a pull, pull over, adjust it, do another. Then leave it once you got the boost you want.

Spend your money on something worthwhile. Something that'll let you run more boost. Like say injectors and a fuel pump, which can easily be had for $300.

mr2mike
09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately to have bigger injectors, you need something to control them for the MR2. But right direction.

Sentry
09-28-2009, 07:34 PM
As with any car. I don't know if the MR2 has options like a Honda does though. Or if they're constrained to piggybacks or standalones for aftermarket management.

Big_Fat
09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachments/newbie-forum/86354d1218830240-nxs-motorsports-ebay-nxsmotorsports-mbc-boost-controller-review-nxs_mbc2.jpg

thats the one i wanna get exactly. but what do i gotta do to get it to 14psi? can i block off a vac line to the ecu thats what my friend has told me.

Big_Fat
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Unfortunately to have bigger injectors, you need something to control them for the MR2. But right direction.

what do i need bigger injectors for?

Big_Fat
09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
so would i be good if i just got this? is this all i need?

http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_105&products_id=385

Tik-Tok
09-28-2009, 09:34 PM

what do i need bigger injectors for?

To keep fuel up with the amount of air your pushing into the cylinders.

Stock injectors are only good for 15, maybe 16 psi of boost. Past that you start to lean out your mixture, because the amount of fuel needed can't get past the small injectors.

Once your air/fuel mix start getting too lean, you'll start getting hotter than you want in your cylinders, and then you're engine will start shitting metal.

ok cool i heard that if u go past 14psi u can block off a vac hose going to the ecu is that true?

I don't suggest this, unless you have an accurate air/fuel gauge, and are looking at it all the time. Without a fcd, you'll definitely be leaning out your engine, when you crank up the boost.

Big_Fat
09-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Ok so I'm just gonna get the package from twos r us it somes with a fcd and the mbc as well as a boost guage but I already have a blitz boost guage so ill sell that one