PDA

View Full Version : Huge Spider in my yard

Pages : [1] 2

freshprince1
09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Well, I noticed this guy about a month ago and have been leaving him alone to see how big he gets. Here's some pictures I took last night while mowing the lawn.

Does anyone know what kind of Spider this is?

I did not add any size references, but he is just larger than a Toonie right now.

Enjoy:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/littledevil606/Daves_Spider_3.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/littledevil606/Daves_Spider_2.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/littledevil606/Daves_Spider.jpg

Power_Of_Rotary
09-24-2009, 10:02 AM
who the fuck cares what type of spider it is...KILL IT

hate spiders

freshprince1
09-24-2009, 10:02 AM
His/Her web lines are like fishing line.

I haven't seen spiders like this since I was in the Philippines...those ones would dwarf this guy.

JfuckinC
09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
That bitch is a monster

Masked Bandit
That's creepy. Winter would normally take care of this guy but he may find a way into your house.

I'm curious to know what kind of spider it is.

freshprince1
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary

hate spiders

Spiders are good, they eat a ton of insects, and this guy is way too cool to kill. Besides, I'd probably need a baseball bat.

BokCh0y
09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
i have those in my yard and side of the house. Seen them as big as a penny with the legs. But no hair and nothing as crazy as the one in the pics. Don't know what type it is...

But i've been killing them all!!!

GQBalla
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
W7_F_AqeRqo

KILL IT!!!!

i would have had the wifey kill it a long time ago.

yes im a man, yes im afraid of bugs, yes i know i just set up myself for some ass cussing.

i could care less, i hate bugs im scared as fuck

video explains exactly how i feel

almerick
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm with the rest of you guys, hate spiders :(, those pics are scary

SR240SX
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
That thing looks nasty, I have a big brown looking spider on the side of my house aswell, about the size of a loonie not including the legs. Last year there seemed to be about 3-4 hanging around my back deck, This year I've only seen one.

Rstar
09-24-2009, 10:12 AM
kill it with fire

BokCh0y
09-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Could it be this:

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html#orbweaving

Common Orb Weaving Spider?

EDIT: Searched online, looks like the one you have IS in fact an Orb Weaving Spider.

Regardless...i'd step on it haha.

inline6turbo
09-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
W7_F_AqeRqo

KILL IT!!!!

i would have had the wifey kill it a long time ago.

yes im a man, yes im afraid of bugs, yes i know i just set up myself for some ass cussing.

i could care less, i hate bugs im scared as fuck

video explains exactly how i feel

HAhahaha Omg... funniest thing I've seen in a while.
His "war cry" sounds exactly like my sissy scream :D

jdmXSI
09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
aerosol can + FIRE!!!:D

battleaxe1
09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
You guys are sissies. It is a freaking spider.

masoncgy
09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by battleaxe1

:werd:

bjstare
09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1

Spiders are good, they eat a ton of insects, and this guy is way too cool to kill. Besides, I'd probably need a baseball bat.

I'd still be worried the spider would grab the bat from me and beat me with it:(

That spider is ridiculous. You should see the ones out here in Victoria. Scared the crap out of me when I first moved out here, I think they're called wolf spiders and they will show up in your shower and such.. and they're big.. an inch to two inches across.. yucky.

gretz
09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
You have a size reference....its under a 2x4 lol

Havn't seen any furry ones out here yet, had a few big black mothers crawl out of my tub drain at my old house lol

dj_rice
09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
:cry:

freshprince1
09-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by gretz

Eh hemm....it's a 2x6, I don't build no sissy fence! 4x6 posts, 3 ft of concrete, 2x6 stringers. The fence will be standing long after my house.

Disclaimer: that is the only hanger I used, I was forced to use it to build around the transformer.

2Valve0
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
that thing looks like it hurts people :cry:

J NRG
09-24-2009, 10:35 AM

freshprince1
09-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by J NRG
Whatever it is your about to have hundreds more of them! I dont know if id kill it, but maybe toss it under the complainer-neighbors porch! :D

Good point. I didn't think about that. I'd like to get rid of it before it spawns countless others. One is cool, but an infestation would be less than desirable.

lilmira
09-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Spiders are good bugs in the yard. I usually leave them along. In the house though it will be no mercy.

I have a lot of spiders with skinny legs in the yard, nothing creepy with thick and hairy legs like that. If I see one on my deck, I'll probably spray it with a hose to make it out of sight.

89coupe
09-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, I noticed this guy about a month ago and have been leaving him alone to see how big he gets. Here's some pictures I took last night while mowing the lawn.

Does anyone know what kind of Spider this is?

I did not add any size references, but he is just larger than a Toonie right now.

Enjoy:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/littledevil606/Daves_Spider_3.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/littledevil606/Daves_Spider_2.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/littledevil606/Daves_Spider.jpg

That is a CAT spider, quite common. Its scientific name is.
Araneus gemmoides Chamberlin

GQBalla
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

HAhahaha Omg... funniest thing I've seen in a while.
His "war cry" sounds exactly like my sissy scream :D

lol love it

cdnsir
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Looking at its huge gut, it does look a little pregnant eh? Either its full of eggs, or she just ate her mate. :eek:

gretz
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Eh hemm....it's a 2x6, I don't build no sissy fence! 4x6 posts, 3 ft of concrete, 2x6 stringers. The fence will be standing long after my house.

Disclaimer: that is the only hanger I used, I was forced to use it to build around the transformer.

I stand corrected - 2x6 lol....... shouldn't have built your house with 2x4s then

88CRX
09-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Tell me where you live so I can come kill that satanic creature.... I'd light that sucker on fire as soon I spotted it. Kill them all.

freshprince1
09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

That is a CAT spider, quite common. Its scientific name is.
Araneus gemmoides Chamberlin

They probably named it that because it eats cats...come to think of it, the neighborhood has been kind of quiet lately.

89coupe
09-24-2009, 10:49 AM

They probably named it that because it eats cats...come to think of it, the neighborhood has been kind of quiet lately.

They are harmless, if anything something interesting to watch.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-24-2009, 10:55 AM
That's an awesome spider, I'm jealous! I rarely get any cool spiders at my place.

n1zm0
09-24-2009, 10:58 AM

That is a CAT spider, quite common.

this, the 2 bumps forward of its abdomen, cat-faced spider is part of the the same species/class or whatever as an orb weaving spider iirc from a past junior high report lol also awesome for garden-ruining type insect control, keep it!

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Kill that mother fucker before it kills you.

03ozwhip
09-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
Kill that mother fucker before it kills you.

werd fucking up. that scares teh shit outta me, if i saw it im sure id sound just like inline6. im a fuckin wuss when it comes to spiders, ill be the first to admit it.

beyond_ban
09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Trap it and fight it against a praying mantis. I wanna see THAT go down.

GQBalla
09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

werd fucking up. that scares teh shit outta me, if i saw it im sure id sound just like inline6. im a fuckin wuss when it comes to spiders, ill be the first to admit it.

werd me too ahahha

Hamann
09-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Trap it and fight it against a praying mantis. I wanna see THAT go down.

Hahaha this is a Fucking awesome Idea :thumbsup:

Tomaz
09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
"Spin a Web, LIKE A BOSS"

That thing is fucking sweet! I wonder how much bigger that thing could get?

vengie
09-24-2009, 12:02 PM

They are harmless, if anything something interesting to watch.

Screw that!!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/Trebz14/8leggedfreakscredits.jpg

I say kill the bitch!!

JimmyJones
09-24-2009, 12:15 PM
lets get a pot going.

20 bucks to who ever eats it.

FivE.SeveN
09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Hooooooly shit :nut: That thing is a monster, it's probably developing language skills right now and plotting to take over the world or something

thetransporter
09-24-2009, 12:43 PM

hate spiders

why are you scared of them? men are not suppose to be scared of bugs

Godfuader
09-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
aerosol can + FIRE!!!:D

My first thought. Although, looking at this spider it would probably starting cursing at you in Latin while on fire. lol

Thomas Gabriel
09-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Anyone ever notice that the big ones are aggressive? There was one in my basement washroom once and I threw a boot at it. It actually jumped out of the way, and then ran at me! That was an epic battle. I ended up making a 4 inch high perimeter around its escape points with Lysol foam, and then doing an aerial bombardment campaign with encyclopedias.

If you want to pull a Chemical Ali, the Raid spider spray is pretty badass. I don't like spraying something that can kill giant spiders in seconds inside the house though.

thetransporter
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM
http://wearestjohns.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/camel_spider.jpg

88CRX
09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

If you want to pull a Chemical Ali, the Raid spider spray is pretty badass. I don't like spraying something that can kill giant spiders in seconds inside the house though.

That shit works awesome.... it litterally melts them haha.

bonjoey
09-24-2009, 12:54 PM
back in the days, we used to keep spiders on box matches and bet who will win when they fight on the stick!

and those huge beetles where you put a bubble gum in between their backs and watch them wrestle!

good times!

gerrycurl21
09-24-2009, 01:14 PM
It looks like a jewel spider. I think its that by the size of its body. I found one in my doorway at my place and sprayed it down with raid. Mine had the body the size of a toonie w/o legs....

I thought it was bout to hatch eggs, but after i squashed it, it was only just puss and guts. These ones seem common to make big webs and just chill in a certain corner.

JC522
09-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by bonjoey
back in the days, we used to keep spiders on box matches and bet who will win when they fight on the stick!

Are you filipino by chance? When I went back to the philipinnes my mom told me the boys used to do this.

We used to have a big spider like that on our neighbours hose reel. The birds that come and eat our grasshoppers took care of the spider for me, must have been a good meal for the bird

Masked Bandit
09-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Why couldn't YOU be my neighbour? I had to fight against phrickin' vinyl fencing. I would've been all over a eight foot high, two foot thick monster fence.

gerrycurl21
09-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Its gross killing these things,feels like your crushing a small mouse under your shoe

gam0s
09-24-2009, 01:50 PM
that thing is a beast. wouldnt fuck with that haha

TC06
09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Anything bigger than my pinky needs to die fast!

Tik-Tok
09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't mind spiders, they startle me once in awhile if their big enough (such as yours), but I like that they keep other bugs away. We have quite a few around our house.

But I'd kill it.

Imagine that thing taking up residence inside your house over winter, then one morning you walk sleepy eyed down your hallway only to get THAT monster in your face? Fuck that.

gam0s
09-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by JimmyJones
lets get a pot going.

ill add another 20 to that pot haha

freshprince1
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

My first thought. Although, looking at this spider it would probably starting cursing at you in Latin while on fire. lol

:rofl:

Not sure what to do with it, it would be a shame to kill it. Its in the corner of my fence at the back of my yeard, so it's a good ways from the house. But I'd hate to have my daughter carried away by it while playing in the yard.

Maybe I should get an aquarium and keep him as a pet...throw him a cricket or two every week.

we should start a poll to see what everyone thinks we should do

toastgremlin
09-24-2009, 02:03 PM
If it keeps getting much bigger, you should probably consider negotiating with it. Maybe it'll pay rent.

masoncgy
09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Imagine that thing taking up residence inside your house over winter

Or... imagine all of the ones that are already residing inside of your house, and have probably crawled across your chest while you were sleeping.

lol...

Why be afraid of something you can kill instantly with a closed fist? Save the pussy shit for something that can actually kill you, like a Grizzly or a Cobra or something...

HyperZell
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
If it keeps getting much bigger, you should probably consider negotiating with it. Maybe it'll pay rent.

And maybe it'll kill your ass for asking it for money.

JAARemedy
09-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by gam0s

ill add another 20 to that pot haha

Ill do it!
Just kidding :barf: I didnt kno they can get this big in calgary lol

almerick
09-24-2009, 03:31 PM

:rofl:

Not sure what to do with it, it would be a shame to kill it. Its in the corner of my fence at the back of my yeard, so it's a good ways from the house. But I'd hate to have my daughter carried away by it while playing in the yard.

Maybe I should get an aquarium and keep him as a pet...throw him a cricket or two every week.

we should start a poll to see what everyone thinks we should do

We shall call it, beyond spider. What if it escapes!?

legendboy
09-24-2009, 03:36 PM
DUDE! that thing is awsome!! Definitely don't kill it!

Its an orb weaver. I had a big one (not as big as yours) in my yard last year. His web was huge!

Everytime I had to mow my lawn I actually lifted my lawnmower over my deck railing so i wouldn't wreck its web lol

They are super cool!

masoncgy
09-24-2009, 03:41 PM
My brother is a produce clerk at Safeway and has the joy of confronting spiders that are actually dangerous all the time...

Banana spiders are his favorite... not only are they seriously toxic, they move quite quickly as well...

lol... just wanted to put another chill up some of your spines... ;)

J NRG
09-24-2009, 04:14 PM

riced
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
holy shit that thing gives me the creeps hahaa

LadyLuck
09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Words cant describe my fear of spiders...but that thing is neat.

I'd say keep him around, who knows how many bugs hes already killed for you.

Pretty sure that if you keep him alive...he'll do the same for you :D

403Gemini
09-24-2009, 04:33 PM

Good point. I didn't think about that. I'd like to get rid of it before it spawns countless others. One is cool, but an infestation would be less than desirable.

If you followed his advice and threw it under your neighbors porch and im your neighbor, IMA KILL YOU! In the last 2 days I've killed about 12 little spiders around the house... :guns:

lol

Power_Of_Rotary
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
That's an awesome spider, I'm jealous! I rarely get any cool spiders at my place.

.... what is ur definition of "cool"? ones that are big and can bite ur finger off?

back to my previous post.... KILL that mother fucker or trap it in a some kind of jar so it doesnt get in the house and never to be found. Also u dont want thousands of those things crawling around

403Gemini
09-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Could be worse.... could be like the spiders from the movie The Mist

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5lL1y9ELMFM/R-ALuM3jTlI/AAAAAAAACTM/Quby9MAptEg/s400/The_Mist_Alien_Spiders.jpg

hampstor
09-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I have 2 of those in my yard! One close to my patio door, the other one spins a man sized web off my deck. :rofl:

Mine are slightly smaller, no larger than a toonie (but pretty damned close). I discovered them about a month and a half ago and have let them be. I've noticed significantly less bugs in my yard. I have taken down their web once when it was spinning a web as large as my son right above our patio door :eek:

barmanjay
09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
That spider is a good size

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/barmanjay/Daves_Spider_chop.jpg

beyond_ban
09-24-2009, 06:00 PM
^^ 2x6, wouldnt that be a 2'' distance?

barmanjay
09-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
^^ 2x6, wouldnt that be a 2'' distance?

The actual thickness of any 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 is only 1.5" and in
steel stud it's 1 5/8"

2x4 = 1.5x3.5
2x6 = 1.5x5.5, etc, etc

three.eighteen.
09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
i have an unwritten agreement with spiders...when i see them in my room i try to kill them...if they escape/survive, they have earned their keep until our next encounter

Tomaz
09-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
i have an unwritten agreement with spiders...when i see them in my room i try to kill them...if they escape/survive, they have earned their keep until our next encounter

how many have gotten away?

I wouldn't even attempt to threaten this one. I would like to keep all of my fingers.

Type_B
09-24-2009, 10:17 PM
It's a spider and I'm 50/50 scared but killin it would b a big mistake it actually helps kill all those other unwanted insects flies, moths, Mosquitos ect. I think your lucky to have one this huge to be in your yard the size of it you know it's doing it's job

DannyO
09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Some of the comments in this thread are awesome.

Spiders kill bugs and take care of flies, which I hate, so they get a :thumbsup: in my book.

If I was you I'd try and keep it, or move it away from the house if it was close, I tried to keep a Black Widow I found in my garage a year or so ago, was going down into a cupboard, pulled my head back slightly and a spider came down in front of my face, then noticed its red marks, was sweet, I tried to keep it but it died :(

But since I'm not you, I'd also put 20$ in the pot to see you eat it.:D

J NRG
09-24-2009, 10:44 PM

phreezee
09-24-2009, 10:47 PM
I had something similar in size but not that brightly coloured. It looked like it had 2 pyramids on it's abdomen. Anyway, I didn't kill it and now I have all these tiny babies making webs all over my deck between every single rail.

Lesson learned... I'm killing them as soon as I see them now. I hate walking into spider webs, even if it's just a few strands.

V6-BoI
09-24-2009, 11:02 PM
I found a big ass spider in my back yard a couple weeks ago. It wasn't as big as this one, probably about an inch in size and was like all yellow/brown and all fuzzy. Scared the shit outta me cuz I was painting my fence and saw that bastard. Decided to own it with a rock and the lid from a paint can. I would say just kill this one, I absolutely can't stand spiders.

drnerd
09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX
That thing looks nasty, I have a big brown looking spider on the side of my house aswell, about the size of a loonie not including the legs. Last year there seemed to be about 3-4 hanging around my back deck, This year I've only seen one.

were you by any chance heading west on memorial drive last night around midnight?...I went up against a 240SX like the one in your sig...

Trini
09-24-2009, 11:25 PM
:eek: :eek: nightmares

FullMetal
09-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by gretz

Havn't seen any furry ones out here yet, had a few big black mothers crawl out of my tub drain at my old house lol :clap: :clap: lol thats a 2x6 :rofl: :rofl:

syritis
09-25-2009, 12:51 AM
It's the wolf spiders that are near the rivers you need to worry about.
Last summer I was walking up the bank of the bow river when a wolf spider darted between bushed just where i was putting my foot down. it was about 2" - 2.5"
scared me for a second then i had to go find it again.

anyone know if black widow spiders have the red marks even as a baby?
I seen MANY of these little guys in my garage, they're about half an inch and look EXACTLY like a black widow just with out the marks on their thorax.

97'Scort
09-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

I'd still be worried the spider would grab the bat from me and beat me with it:(

That spider is ridiculous. You should see the ones out here in Victoria. Scared the crap out of me when I first moved out here, I think they're called wolf spiders and they will show up in your shower and such.. and they're big.. an inch to two inches across.. yucky.

Fuck I hate those big suckers. They're EVERYWHERE. I don't mind when I have a big web spider, but those 2 inch wolf guys move like the fucking wind.

This one is from my uncle's house in Sooke. Spider is approximately 5 cm long including legs. That thing it's eating is a grasshopper, but it's big enough to be a small locust.
http://www.kg-dj.com/images/spider.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
09-25-2009, 01:06 AM

.... what is ur definition of "cool"? ones that are big and can bite ur finger off?

Eh, size is immaterial as long as it's interesting.

This guy lives under my front steps, but he doesn't come out often. He's about 3-4" at his longest point, and FAST.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/CatSplat/bf626000.jpg

GOnSHO
09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
i cant stand spiders..

my first place i rented had wolf spiders EVERYWHERE, i went to grab my soccer bag and saw one those fuckers pop out and run, i was like AHH!!

im ok with spiders outside, and away from my shit, but i CANNOT stand walking through webs

legendboy
09-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Eh, size is immaterial as long as it's interesting.

This guy lives under my front steps, but he doesn't come out often. He's about 3-4" at his longest point, and FAST.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/CatSplat/bf626000.jpg

thats a gigantic house spider, cousin to the hobo spider. Yea they are one of the fastest spiders in the world!! Agressive too.

I had thoes in the house i rented in beddington years ago. It was awful.

I would be sitting on the can dropping a bomb, and one would crawl out of the heat vent right in front of me. Or waking up with a bite mark on my face...etc.. It was really shitty lol

I eventually found they were comming into the house thru the combustion air vent for the furnace. I wrapped the whole vent in bug screen and never had a problem after that.

I just feel sorry for dirty_sohc because he was living in the basement at the time :rofl:

Some of the OG's here may remember I posted a thread with super macro shots of a big one. I caught it, and put it in the freezer. Then took it out and photographed it.

It was this thread, but the pics are long gone

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=351054#post351054

supe
09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
I really dont like spiders either, but the number one thing I hate in the world is mosquito's, they steal blood from you, hate them.

Spiders kill mosquito's so they gain some points in my book.

freshprince1
09-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JimmyJones
lets get a pot going.

I got to thinking how much money it would take for me to eat it. I figure if someone gave me a motorbike I would eat it.

600cc or higher, good working condition, an R6 would be nice. Any takers?

Jasons97tj
09-25-2009, 01:59 PM
i'm working up by cold lake where they have hobo, brown recluse and black widows. they all scare the shit outta me. haha. one of the electricians i work with got bit by a bug one night in his bed. leg got all red and puffy. he ended up having to go to the hospital and get some medication. so now every night before i go to bed i rip my bed apart and check for any of those little fuckers. i was working under an MCC building earlier this week where i killed what i believe were 2 brown recluse and 1 hobo. i killed them mostly because i was scared they would crawl down the back of my neck. i don't mind them if they are not poisonous and if there is no chance of them crawling on me

masoncgy
09-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Jasons97tj
i'm working up by cold lake where they have hobo, brown recluse and black widows.

Not sure where you get your information from, but the Brown Recluse spider isn't found in Canada at all, and the Western Black Widow isn't found in Central/Northern Alberta, just the southern portions of BC, AB & SK.

You *might* come across a hobo spider in Cold Lake if they have been brought into the area (same with a black widow), but neither of the two occur naturally in that area.

timdog
09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
me and the fiance were in central/inland california where they do have brown recluse and black widows... we didnt see any while we were there, and then we went further up north to san fran, got to our hotel, put our luggage down and there was a black widow crawling around on the outside of the luggage. i know 100% for sure it was a black widow, but i killed it and told her that it was not a black widow. she still does not know to this day.

97'Scort
09-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
... and the Western Black Widow isn't found in Central/Northern Alberta, just the southern portions of BC, AB & SK.

I've caught several black widows in Wabamun, AB, just west of Edmonton. There's no mistaking them.

jjmac
09-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Looks pregnant

Jasons97tj
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Not sure where you get your information from, but the Brown Recluse spider isn't found in Canada at all, and the Western Black Widow isn't found in Central/Northern Alberta, just the southern portions of BC, AB & SK.

You *might* come across a hobo spider in Cold Lake if they have been brought into the area (same with a black widow), but neither of the two occur naturally in that area.

EnCana put out a news letter warning of those 3 spiders you can find up there. don't think they'd lie to us...never know though. the ones i killed under the MCC looked like both of those spiders. when i got up there i wikipedia'd the shit out of them cause it creeped me out. they were for sure spiders i've never seen before, however i'm not huge into spiders so natually i could have just been paranoid :dunno:

Rat Fink
09-25-2009, 05:32 PM

bjstare
09-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by syritis
It's the wolf spiders that are near the rivers you need to worry about.
Last summer I was walking up the bank of the bow river when a wolf spider darted between bushed just where i was putting my foot down. it was about 2" - 2.5"
scared me for a second then i had to go find it again.

anyone know if black widow spiders have the red marks even as a baby?
I seen MANY of these little guys in my garage, they're about half an inch and look EXACTLY like a black widow just with out the marks on their thorax.

Pretty sure the females are the ones with the red mark on the belly, and the males are the ones with no red marks. Also, the females are deadly, and the males aren't. Having said that, I'm no spider person, and haven't researched it. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

asp integra
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by battleaxe1
:werd: who is actually scared of spiders? other than elementary school kids