PDA

View Full Version : Not At Fault Accident / Insurance

BigShow
11-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Has anyone had they're insurance rates go up because of car accidents that were not their fault?

Davetronz
11-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Ummmm they shouldnt...
Mine didnt go up when crazy woman hit me
'

Weapon_R
11-12-2003, 01:14 PM
They do go up.

89coupe
11-12-2003, 01:32 PM
No they don't. In fact they don't even go up if you make the claim. My insurance company allows one claim per year.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
They do go up.

rage2
11-12-2003, 01:33 PM
2 not at faults this year (crazy rear end mofus), up for renewal in a month. Called and checked, rates went down about $30/car.

Weapon_R
11-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
No they don't. In fact they don't even go up if you make the claim. My insurance company allows one claim per year.

:rolleyes:

Yes, you're right. Claims don't raise insurance rates. I must've had it wrong the whole time.

btw - Have you ever wondered why they ask you if you've had any not at faults?

rage2
11-12-2003, 01:55 PM
If you have many not at faults, they won't sell you insurance.

89coupe
11-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Mmmm lets see, I've been insured for almost 15 years now. Over that span I've made numerous claims. Never more then one in a year. My insurance has never been raised. In fact I have a 7 star rating which is the highest rating you can get.

They don't ask just how many, they ask how many in the last _ years. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Yes, you're right. Claims don't raise insurance rates. I must've had it wrong the whole time.

link785
11-12-2003, 02:05 PM

I'm with Weapon_R. My dad had a not at fault accident, his premium went up $500 a year because of it.

Also, he had once had someone steal about $600 worth of stuff out of his van about 5 years ago. He called his insurance, they said his premium would increase $400 a year for the next 3 years if he made a claim, obviously he didn't.

I once had a not at fault fender bender. Was like $150 in damage, which the other party simply paid for without going through any insurance. Out of curiousity, I asked my insurance what would happen if I made a claim on the other guy's insurance, and I would have a not at fault on my record. They told me my premium would increase about $1500 a year, and I would most likely no longer be welcomed as a customer.

This was with 3 seperate insurance companies, all large ones.

Alberta insurance = :thumbsdow

89coupe
11-12-2003, 02:28 PM
LOL, those stories sound like bullshit to me.

For one thing your deductable in most cases is between 250-500 dollars. I find it hard to believe that your insurance company wouldn't have told you this.

Either your Dad has a really bad history withwith his insurance company or you are not telling the whole story.

My buddy had his golf clubs stolen from his car, $2500.00 set of clubs. Guess what, they were replaced along with the repairs to his car. No change to his insurance.

I had my car broken into just last year. $1800.00 in damage. $250 deductable and my car is fixed. My insurance rate hasn't changed. My rating still the same.

Two years before that the same thing happened, no change.

A year before that, hail damage. $5000.00 paint job, no change.

Are you getting the picture?

legendboy
11-12-2003, 02:35 PM
if the other person is charged then your rates don't go up

Altezza
11-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Having many not-at-fault accidents increases your risk in the eyes of the insurance company. Even if you are involved in a not-at-fault accident, your insurance company foots the bill first and subrogates it back from the insurer of the at-fault party. That itself costs your insurance company for admin, paperwork, and opportunity cost of initially paying your damages.

Weapon_R
11-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Mmmm lets see, I've been insured for almost 15 years now. Over that span I've made numerous claims. Never more then one in a year. My insurance has never been raised. In fact I have a 7 star rating which is the highest rating you can get.

They don't ask just how many, they ask how many in the last _ years. :rolleyes:

Thank you for enlightening the rest of us. Obviously, no one here has any idea what we're talking about. Point of information now well taken - For my 6 years of driving, I could have had 6 claims levied against my driving record, as long as it was only once per year (yep, definately an important factor) and my insurance would still be the same.

Weapon_R
11-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
Having many not-at-fault accidents increases your risk in the eyes of the insurance company. Even if you are involved in a not-at-fault accident, your insurance company foots the bill first and subrogates it back from the insurer of the at-fault party. That itself costs your insurance company for admin, paperwork, and opportunity cost of initially paying your damages.

Someone finally got the point. While a not-at-fault will not increase your insurance premiums as much as an at-fault, insurance companies assess you as a higher risk driver, and raise your rates. Besides that, they can drop your coverage. Cancelled insurance=higher premiums. Higher risk category=higher premiums. Interesting correlation here...

89coupe
11-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Roll your eyes and keep up the ignorance. I will sit back and laugh at people like yourself who are clueless.

Thank you for enlightening the rest of us. Obviously, no one here has any idea what we're talking about. Point of information now well taken - For my 6 years of driving, I could have had 6 claims levied against my driving record, as long as it was only once per year (yep, definately an important factor) and my insurance would still be the same. :rolleyes:

89coupe
11-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Accidents yes, damage claims, entirely different.

Someone finally got the point. While a not-at-fault will not increase your insurance premiums as much as an at-fault, insurance companies assess you as a higher risk driver, and raise your rates. Besides that, they can drop your coverage. Cancelled insurance=higher premiums. Higher risk category=higher premiums. Interesting correlation here...

89coupe
11-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Accidents yes, damage claims, entirely different.

rage2
11-12-2003, 03:12 PM
hehe seriously man, you gotta change insurance companies, cause you're seriously getting ripped off. Sitting at an intersection and getting nailed like I did does not make me a higher risk driver, but it does cost them in admin work (hey my premiums at work!). If I had 5 not at faults, they can drop my coverage next year because they deem that high risk, but they won't raise my rates.

About 3 years ago, my dad had a very strange not at fault accident. Some drunk dude jumped into the 944's window and smashed it all up, dented and scratched the hood up. His insurance paid for the damages (AMA) and his rates did not go up.

What 89coupe have said has made sense so far, in my scenario anyways.

89coupe
11-12-2003, 03:20 PM
Thank You, I was going crazy thinking nobody understood me :dunno: :tongue:

Originally posted by rage2

hehe seriously man, you gotta change insurance companies, cause you're seriously getting ripped off. Sitting at an intersection and getting nailed like I did does not make me a higher risk driver, but it does cost them in admin work (hey my premiums at work!). If I had 5 not at faults, they can drop my coverage next year because they deem that high risk, but they won't raise my rates.

About 3 years ago, my dad had a very strange not at fault accident. Some drunk dude jumped into the 944's window and smashed it all up, dented and scratched the hood up. His insurance paid for the damages (AMA) and his rates did not go up.

What 89coupe have said has made sense so far, in my scenario anyways.

BigShow
11-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I have a much better idea now. :thumbsup:

Altezza
11-12-2003, 03:32 PM

Well...yes and no. Many non-at-fault accidents do increase your risk level with insurance companies, that is a FACT. HOWEVER, that is not to say that you are immediately classified as a high-risk driver. It'll take 5 non-at-fault accidents to achieve the same risk level as somebody in a parking lot fender bender (I'm not claiming accuracy in the numbers, but you get the point).

szw
11-12-2003, 03:47 PM
You are all relating this to personal experiences right?

I think the insurance co's are just nicer to you old guys!

I think if you are already high risk, your insurance does go up because of these claims (yes personal experience).

Perhaps if you are a long term customer or low risk driver or give good head they will be more inclined to over-look it.

Khyron
11-12-2003, 03:48 PM
My buddy had his golf clubs stolen from his car, $2500.00 set of clubs. Guess what, they were replaced along with the repairs to his car. No change to his insurance.

Shouldn't that fall under Home Insurance?

Khyron

89coupe
11-12-2003, 03:51 PM
History is definitely a factor.

Originally posted by szw
You are all relating this to personal experiences right?

I think the insurance co's are just nicer to you old guys!

I think if you are already high risk, your insurance does go up because of these claims (yes personal experience).

Perhaps if you are a long term customer or low risk driver or give good head they will be more inclined to over-look it.

link785
11-12-2003, 03:53 PM
LOL, those stories sound like bullshit to me.

For one thing your deductable in most cases is between 250-500 dollars. I find it hard to believe that your insurance company wouldn't have told you this.

Either your Dad has a really bad history withwith his insurance company or you are not telling the whole story.

Cool, doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not, I know exactly what I went through.

My dad was with the same insurance company for 15 years, through 2 different provinces, zero claims, so I don't really consider that "bad history".

Fact is, making a claim will raise my insurance. I've been through this before, and I can't change insurance companies because I'm not old enough yet. Therefore, again I say, Alberta insurance system = :thumbsdow

Weapon_R
11-12-2003, 04:02 PM
hahah you guys are too old to relate - even if you brought down the Calgary tower, chances are, your insurance will still be the same.

davidI
11-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Just to weigh in, I've heard a ton of people who've had rates go up because of not at fault accidents although I have never had such an experience myself.

Mckenzie
11-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Thank You, I was going crazy thinking nobody understood me :dunno: :tongue:

I phoned my insurance company about this and my agent told me that my rates would not go up with a claim here or there. If I am making extravigant claims every other month than that is a different story. But my company anyways will tolerate claims and not raise my insurance. There are quite a few variables, such as history of claims, age, relationship with agent, etc.....

However, I have heard of some companies who will raise your rates for even telling them about a potential claim. Thats fucking bullshit IMO.

89coupe
11-14-2003, 12:09 PM
That is exactly what my insurance company has said to me. It has stood true for the last 14 years.

Originally posted by Mckenzie

I phoned my insurance company about this and my agent told me that my rates would not go up with a claim here or there. If I am making extravigant claims every other month than that is a different story. But my company anyways will tolerate claims and not raise my insurance. There are quite a few variables, such as history of claims, age, relationship with agent, etc.....

However, I have heard of some companies who will raise your rates for even telling them about a potential claim. Thats fucking bullshit IMO.

kenny
11-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by BigShow
Has anyone had they're insurance rates go up because of car accidents that were not their fault?

There is no definite answer, every insurance company is different. When you get into a not-at-fault accident it may not immediately raise your rates if you make a claim, but it is noted in your records for a reason. IF you get into a lot of not-at-fault accidents you are deemed high risk and the result could either be no premium raises, premium raises, or refusal to renew your insurance. All depends on the company.

link785
11-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Had it happen to a freind after someone stole stuff out of his Laser RS. He got DROPPED by his insurance company for asking them about a potential claim. He no longer drives because he can't find any insurance, because he's had his policy cancelled within the last 6 years (happened about 4 months ago).

MerfBall
11-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Yeah, it really depends from insurance company to company. I have heard of companies that will increase rates purely based on claims (doesn't matter what kind).

On the other hand you have to consider if your rates are not dropping either, it can be considered an increase to your insurance... because so long as you stay claims and ticket free, your insurance should generally be dropping every year. Although the past 5 years have been pretty bunked because of rising rates in general.

There are also companies like Monnex that will give you a performance discount for staying claims free (any kind of claim). Some punks attempted to break into my car and did a good amount of body damage to the car, when I called Monnex to check if my rates would go up due to attempted theft (vandalism), the agent said no in a sense the premium wouldn't go up, but I would lose that performance discount (approx 12%). So in general my premium would go up since I was paying a discounted rate already.

link785
11-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall
On the other hand you have to consider if your rates are not dropping either, it can be considered an increase to your insurance... because so long as you stay claims and ticket free, your insurance should generally be dropping every year. Although the past 5 years have been pretty bunked because of rising rates in general.

Good point, I didn't think about it that way either, and I think a lot of people here didn't think about it that way either.

3G
11-14-2003, 07:50 PM
A year before that, hail damage. $5000.00 paint job, no change.

what company are you with? because last spring my dads van got damaged bad by the hail. He called his insurance to make a claim and they said his rates will go up, so he said screw it