PDA

View Full Version : The Wave

YamaLube
09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
I've had enough.

It used to be fun, I did it to everyone, sport bike riders, metrics, hogs, bimmers, heck even the odd ruckus. But I'm doing it no more, that's right, no more waves.

When did the motorcycle wave start and why? It might have made sense when there were hardly any bikers on the road. "Hey there's another biker, I'm going to wave at him....." But when I ride between Calgary and Cochrane, I might as well just ride with one hand the whole time, in 10 k I can probably pass 50 bikers on a Saturday, do I really have to wave that many times?

I asked myself why was I waving, camaraderie? To feel part of a group? Am I waving because someone decided to buy a bike just like I did? Do I wave at F150's cause I have one? If I see a guy with the same jeans as me maybe I should high five him. "Hey man, bump fists, we both bought 2x4's..." It's kind of an arbitrary thing to wave at someone cause they are using the same mode of transportation as you. Yes Jeep drivers do it, so do 'vette drivers, lets leave the weak custom to those mid-lifers......

Right then I decided enough was enough. Each wave that came my way was greeted with nothing, and I felt liberated.....free. Free to enjoy my ride, free to look at the scenery, not stuck seeing some bikes oncoming and feeling obligated to wave. I don't feel a kinship with other people I don't know cause they ride on two wheels. Heck for all I know maybe the guy I'm waving at is a pedophile, a wife beater, a complete jackass, I don't want to wave at him!!

So today I propose to you all, and all bikers in the world an end to it all, no more waving. We can visit and have camaraderie at the rest stops, lookouts, rally's, shows, and pubs. I'm going back to the customary reason to wave, when I know you!! Yesterday was Sept 23, the day I stopped waving, and I propose an annual "wave at all bikers day" on the 23rd of September each year, the other 364 days no wave is required.

Thanks for your time, and if you see a guy not waving enjoying his ride, it's me.

Ride Safe

beyond_ban
09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
:rofl:

codetrap
09-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I've stopped waving too, mostly because I don't really like taking my hands off the bars.

GQBalla
09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
lol

this is actually a good question.

im not sure.

but when i rode my bike, i waved at everyone.

only thing is harley riders NEVER waved at me.

Eleanor
09-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Good on you, fight the power.

Seriously, you won't wave because you want to enjoy the scenery? Your brain can't process that simple muscle movement and the view at the same time? Give me a break.

I can understand not waving for safety, but your excuse is lame. The only time I don't wave is when I'm leaned over decently or I'm on the clutch, and even then I usually give a nod.

And I make sure I wave at everyone on two wheels, even scooters :D

3g4u
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM
I believe the wave started sometime back in the late 60's when there was a sence of brotherhood among bikers as there were only a handfull around. Back when bikers would stop to help out a stranded brother regardless of what bike they owned. Sadly those days are long gone and all we are left with are self rightous squids and rubs.

I wave when I feel it is appropriate. I agree on a +30 day when there are tons of bikes around there is no point in waving at every rider you see, that would just be silly.

About the JEEP thing, You need one to understand.

japan_us
09-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Unless there's a continuous parade of bikes, then I'll wave at anyone. If they don't wave back, I don't really care, they have their reasons.

Usually with Harleys I'll let them wave first. I find that they usually try their best to ignore you, so one time instead of waving, I blew the guy a kiss. The look on his face was priceless. :rofl:

Toilet_D
09-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Good on you, fight the power.

Seriously, you won't wave because you want to enjoy the scenery? Your brain can't process that simple muscle movement and the view at the same time? Give me a break.

I can understand not waving for safety, but your excuse is lame. The only time I don't wave is when I'm leaned over decently or I'm on the clutch, and even then I usually give a nod.

And I make sure I wave at everyone on two wheels, even scooters :D

im gonna rub my nips at you

bjstare
09-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Toilet_D

im gonna rub my nips at you

:rofl: :rofl:
I vote we replace the wave, with the nip-rub.

Seriously though, I wave at most people. I like waving to the harley/cruiser crowd, because it's always a gamble; you never know if they'll wave back. Some of them are closed minded, ignorant people, that don't think you ride a real bike, unless it produces excessive noise/rattles like its going to fall apart. Others are just nice individuals that respect you no matter what you ride and will wave to any/everyone. And, of course, there's the riders that don't wave regardless of what bike they're on/you're on, just because they don't like it (like the OP). I like the wave. Gives me somethin to think about if I'm on a long, straight Alberta prairie ride haha.

95EagleAWD
09-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I wave at everyone, even scooters... I find it's mostly the rocket riders that return it, probably because that's what I ride.

I enjoy the wave.

Eleanor
09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Toilet_D
im gonna rub my nips at you Fuck, you better not, if I see someone rub their nipples at me on the bike, I'll fall flat on my face laughing :rofl:

AutodreamFrank
09-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I wave at everyone because they are on a bike for the same reasons as me, they love riding. So if you can share an emotion, you can share a wave. it's like a connection you know. Even though you don't know the person, you know why they are on that bike.

So i'm going to nod and wave at every rider I see, unless they're on deerfoot or something. and OP should make the 23rd of September the annual nipple tweak day... I think it will flow better.

Graham_A_M
09-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Its the appreciation for all things two-wheeled, and the appreciation of the goods and the bads that come with it: such as the open road. Most people can overlook the differences between each others tastes and whatnot, and appreciate the same things.

it just comes down to the camaraderie with bikes. I stop for others that look like their in trouble on the side of the road, and others have for me too.

Its just a commonality thats mutual. A grounds that even a lawyer can chat over with a doctor or bricklayer.

Cars have that too, but its just one of those things with bikes. :dunno:
By all means, dont wave if you dont want to, all the power to you man;)

shizzay
09-30-2009, 12:46 PM
i do the wave... to other sport bike riders.... but i've noticed that ducati riders are usually stuck up pricks.... so i learned quickly it is a waste to wave at them. :guns:

turbotrip
10-01-2009, 08:14 PM
im very selective with the wave; only sport bikes
and half the time im too lazy to actually wave so i just lift 2-3 fingers

Khalil.e
10-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

Douche.

Go4Long
10-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by shizzay
i do the wave... to other sport bike riders.... but i've noticed that ducati riders are usually stuck up pricks.... so i learned quickly it is a waste to wave at them. :guns:

much like harley riders they need their hands to keep all the bolts held in place...

I wave to pretty much everyone...and do the courtesy head tap on the highway if I see a radar trap.

theken
10-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't wave a dirt bike street riders. I feel like. Get get something real lol. But I wave at scooters haha. I'm fucked. Had one Harley wave at me one time.

Sharpie
10-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
Cant lift all that ice on your wrist.

but i only wave if someone waves first and I dont wave to people on scooters. I find though way to many people wave and it just gets annoying. I am watching the road not who can I wave at next.

TC06
10-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I usually wave(sportbikes only), sometimes when they wave and I miss it I feel bad lol

turbotrip
10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Khalil.e

Douche.

i love it when you talk dirty to me :love:
haha u do the same damn thing, dont lie

Originally posted by Sharpie

Cant lift all that ice on your wrist.

but i only wave if someone waves first and I dont wave to people on scooters. I find though way to many people wave and it just gets annoying. I am watching the road not who can I wave at next.

LOL the weight of the diamonds keeps me from taking off