PDA

View Full Version : My shitty car got towed...

ScottysZ
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
So a couple months ago I bought a shitty old civic from one of my buddys for a hundred bucks. I was thinking i might need to use it as a winter beater once the bike goes into storage. Anyways, I hadnt registered it yet since ive had no need for it, and its just been sitting near my house with an old plate on it from another car. Apparently one of my neighbors called bylaw the other day to get it towed.

Anyways, i was gonna give the thing to the kidney foundation this weekend, does anyone know if i have to pick it up from impound or what they do if i leave it?

GQBalla
09-24-2009, 04:52 PM
if its not registered but still registered to your buddy he may be left with the bill unless he can provide a bill of sale that it was sold to you.

I think

spikerS
09-24-2009, 04:54 PM
or you can just forget about it, and they will sell it at their auction.

ScottysZ
09-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Well i dont really care what they do with the car but i dont want to fuck my buddy over. Anybody know for sure if they stick you with the tow bill on unclaimed cars?

Alterac
09-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Pay for the bill, its your car.

This isnt a problem even worth thinking about.

I would also call bylaw about an Abandoned car sitting infront of my house.

Also, you will have to either register it, or tow it out of the impound.

Joe-G
09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
If you never registered it, the bill will go to the last registered owner. Only way he can get out of that bill is if he has a Bill of Sale proving he sold the car.

I know this for a fact as it happened to my dad.

canuckcarguy
09-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ScottysZ
So a couple months ago I bought a shitty old civic from one of my buddys for a hundred bucks. I was thinking i might need to use it as a winter beater once the bike goes into storage. Anyways, I hadnt registered it yet since ive had no need for it, and its just been sitting near my house with an old plate on it from another car. Apparently one of my neighbors called bylaw the other day to get it towed.

Anyways, i was gonna give the thing to the kidney foundation this weekend, does anyone know if i have to pick it up from impound or what they do if i leave it?

Translation: I left my garbage on the street for several months, at which point somebody with some neighbourhood pride called the authorities. Now I don't want to be penalized financially for my own lack of courtesy. What should I do?

J NRG
09-24-2009, 08:02 PM

NickGT
09-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G
If you never registered it, the bill will go to the last registered owner. Only way he can get out of that bill is if he has a Bill of Sale proving he sold the car.

I know this for a fact as it happened to my dad.

Partly right. The bill does go to the last known registered owner. This happened to me with my old 89 mustang. I sold the vehicle to some guy who never registered it. I lost the bill of sale (I sold it 2yrs prior/had moved houses/it was lost in the shuffle). They had me write a statement saying it was not my car, sign by commissioner of oaths and fax it in. That's it. They said something about they would take ownership/auction it off to pay the tab if i remember correct. Either way it was not my problem. Never heard anything since.