PDA

View Full Version : Trading car parts while in the States.... possbily duty issues?

88CRX
09-25-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm looking to drive down to the States and make a trade with a private seller on some car parts. Both my parts and the other sellers parts are worth in the $2k range. So I would drive down and cross the border with my parts, meet him in on the US side, swap stuff and then return to Canada. Parts will not be installed on the cars.

What sort of issues could I run in to? Will I just have to pay duty on the new stuff? Anyone done this before?

403ep3
09-25-2009, 11:01 AM
used supercharger? :poosie:

Weapon_R
09-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Are the parts something you will install there or will they be easily identified?

Thinking about it, duty is collected on imported parts. Duty has been paid on your parts. It has not been paid on his parts. I think you will have to pay duty on them.

95EagleAWD
09-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Uhhh, don't say anything?

GOnSHO
09-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

tHIS!! i wouldnt say anything about it

scat19
09-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Parts will not be installed on the cars.

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

:facepalm:

When he has a box of car parts in the trunk, wouldn't you think they'd question it?

GOnSHO
09-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by scat19

:facepalm:

When he has a box of car parts in the trunk, wouldn't you think they'd question it?

and this changes what?? the only way they would see inside said trunk is if he acting sketchy and pulled him over to inspect the vehicle..

when driving through jus say you are going to a family reunion down there, when you come back they wont even bother u

Team_Mclaren
09-25-2009, 12:21 PM
dont get busted if you try that, thats all.;)

blinkme_210
09-25-2009, 12:22 PM
It's not worth the hassle if they catch you. Or even worst, if they want to confiscate it to determine the actual value. Then your car sits at the border, and on and on it goes.

Just declare it and cough up the money if they do tax you. Then drive on home happy and worry free. Don't forget to get documentation from the swapper.

Or better yet.... you tell the guy to come up here and swap. Then let him deal with border security, haha.

88CRX
09-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I would be taking a set of wheels down with me and bringing back a pair of seats. Neither can easily be hidden in the trunk haha.... plus it's not worth the hassle of getting busted.

I'm just wondering what sort of documentation I'd need? Probably do up a bill of sale/trade and have copies of the origonal receipts for both the wheels and seats and let them figure the rest out. Just wondering what I should expect.

Redlyne_mr2
09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I would just stop at the border and ask the customs office when you're there. I find if you're honest with these people they let you get away with the small stuff. They get lied to all day long and I'm sure like anyone of us they appreciate that honesty.

95EagleAWD
09-25-2009, 01:48 PM
So what if they catch you? Tell them it's spare parts and they were in there when you crossed into the States. It's not like you'd have a receipt. Or let them see your "spare parts" on the way down, that way the *might* have documentation that there was stuff in your trunk when you crossed into the USA. Like they're going to know what was actually in there.

We used to lie to them ALL THE TIME when I lived in Ontario. If you don't look like a sketchy guy, they're not going to check.

canuckcarguy
09-25-2009, 10:25 PM
if you're trading parts, just write up a bill of sale on the parts you're trading, and cross the border. If the value is equivalent, I can't imagine there's much issue.

I wouldn't lie, though. If you end up on their shit list, not only do you pay duty, GST, and a penalty, but you end up getting checked every time you cross the border for something like the next 7 years.

megavolt
09-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Get the other guy to come over into Canada? ;)