PDA

View Full Version : Pharmacy

davidI
11-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know if they offer a pharmacy program at the University of Calgary? I know they have a pharmacology and toxicology program but I think that is different from becoming a pharmacist. The U of A has a program so I was just wondering if the U of C had something similar or not.

B17a
11-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Nope. Only UofA around here and its a tough program to get in to.

Weapon_R
11-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Not only that, but don't you need a science background to get in? Dave, I thought you were a mgmt student?

davidI
11-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Not only that, but don't you need a science background to get in? Dave, I thought you were a mgmt student?

I am, but I'm trying to convince a very hot ass girl who is currently sailing over in Spain to come to the U of C...

does anyone have any details on the U of A program? She just asked me to find out some info on the programs since she doesn't have much access to stuff while on a boat.

szw
11-12-2003, 05:12 PM
hehe just tell her there is a program here :poosie:

TalonVelocity
11-12-2003, 05:24 PM
its the hardest course to get into at the U of A. Last year, of 750 applicants, 91 got accepted, lowest mark being around 87%.

EK 2.0
11-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Red Deer has it as well...the first couple of years if I remember correctly...

davidI
11-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

Red Deer has it as well...the first couple of years if I remember correctly...

Where? at RDC? Is it just a transfer program that transfers to the U of A? Does MRC have something similar?

Do you need to get a pharmacy degree to be a pharmacist or do things like pharmacology work as well? There are quite a few pharmacists so they must offer more than that one program at the U of A.

TalonVelocity
11-12-2003, 06:37 PM
pharmacology and pharmacy are 2 completely different things.

davidI
11-12-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by TalonVelocity
pharmacology and pharmacy are 2 completely different things.

I knew pharmacology was more about the research and development of drugs but I have no idea what you actually need to be a pharmacist. What degree is it that you need exactly?

02bump'nWRX
11-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by davidI

I am, but I'm trying to convince a very hot ass girl who is currently sailing over in Spain to come to the U of C...

does anyone have any details on the U of A program? She just asked me to find out some info on the programs since she doesn't have much access to stuff while on a boat.

:bigpimp: Pimp daddy Dave..... Always trying to mack on the Lacombe girls :bigpimp:

EK 2.0
11-13-2003, 05:14 PM
RDC has a transfer program for what I remember...this was a while ago a good friend of mine was taking it...

Wildcat
11-13-2003, 06:01 PM
i heard University of Manitoba has one of the best programs in that field, but... they havent accepted an out of province student in like.... ummmm 20 years? :D

pughster
11-27-2003, 06:41 PM
ya only U of A has a program. I never got in. Also had a friend with an 8.2 who never got in. It's a tough one. To get in you need the general science background (Intro Chem, Organic Chem, first year bio, calculus, english) I'm looking into Pharmacology now, don't completely understand it. Or maybe pharmaceutical sales. Anyone have info on that??

davidI
11-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by pughster
ya only U of A has a program. I never got in. Also had a friend with an 8.2 who never got in. It's a tough one. To get in you need the general science background (Intro Chem, Organic Chem, first year bio, calculus, english) I'm looking into Pharmacology now, don't completely understand it. Or maybe pharmaceutical sales. Anyone have info on that??

Well, teh girl I know has applied at the U of A so I guess after she gets her first year marks she'll have to look at if she gets in or not. What did you want to know about Pharmacology? It's just the development and research of drugs I believe. Parmaceutical sales tends to go towards Commerce and Marketing students but maybe you can get in there with a science background as well?

pughster
11-27-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm just kinda considering options I can do with a Bsc in different areas. At one of those points where I have no idea what I wanna do but need to start making some decisions. Some people I've talked to say a Bsc would be better when looking into pharm sales. I just can't see myself working in a lab for the rest of my life.

davidI
11-27-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by pughster
Some people I've talked to say a Bsc would be better when looking into pharm sales. I just can't see myself working in a lab for the rest of my life.

Most pharmaceutical reps I know spend more time taking people out to dinner and going golfing than being in the lab.

pughster
11-28-2003, 12:32 AM
that's why i am considering being a rep as opposed to a job that would involve being in a lab. As far as I now reps don't go near a lab. Thats more for those who enjoy stuff like analytical chem and that isn't my most favorite of subjects.

davidI
11-28-2003, 07:22 AM
ok, sorry. I misunderstood waht you wrote. Seriously though, I have a lot of friends that are reps in for sporting good companies or beer companies and they'd all like to do drug sales because the slush fund is so huge. They have a lot of bucks to entertain people with so it's not out of the question to have box seats at sporting events and eat at the nicest restaurants. I've also heard that it is what a lot of commerce students do their first couple years out but then they get tired of it so that's something to think about...