PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a car to Europe?

stealth
09-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have any info on shipping a car to Europe (France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco)? What would be the best way about doing it?

Which port should I first send it to in Canada?

Can I send a vehicle on a cargo plane?

Any info is appreciated.

dino_martini
09-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Why are you shipping a vehicle to Europe?

If you are moving to europe I think it would be more cost effective to sell your car, and then go buy one over there.

:dunno:

eblend
09-26-2009, 03:06 PM
hopefully your not selling your car to someone out there....because it is a SCAM

AndyL
09-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Rail to Montreal or vancouver, then it gets loaded into a sea-can and makes the trip over ~2weeks in transit... You might be able to air-freight it - but you'd be better off buying a brand new benz over there :) You're talking under 5k to have it end up in britain (Chunnel baby!) - that was our ballpark to have a westfalia shipped over when we were eyeballing it last year.

There's some legalities with regard to insurance and intl drivers license... Believe your insurance co and registries can fill you in on those...

Hakkola
09-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

If you are moving to europe I think it would be more cost effective to sell your car, and then go buy one over there.

Unless it is modded, or a newer vehicle depending on what country you're bringing it to. If you buy a new car in Finland it can cost 2-3 times what it does in Canada. I've thought about bringing my car to Finland if I move there and I imagine I would drive to Toronto or Halifax and then ship the vehicle and fly from there.

ICEBERG
09-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Well look at it this way. In Turkey where i am from, a BMW 335i is about $160,000 canadian. You pay around $55,000 here. SO it makes sense to ship one over Seas and save some money.

flipstah
09-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

Well look at it this way. In Turkey where i am from, a BMW 335i is about $160,000 canadian. You pay around $55,000 here. SO it makes sense to ship one over Seas and save some money.

Don't you get taxed for bringing a car overseas? Not sure but that's how it works in the Philippines, hence the premium price tag on an F-150 or a shitty Escape.

stealth
09-26-2009, 05:03 PM
BMW & Mercedes are more expensive in Europe and Morocco.

I need a vehicle for when I am on vacation.

I am not moving back permanently yet, only spending vacations on that side of the world. It would be stupid to buy a new car, and have it sit, only to be used 2 months of the year.

I could import a car from Germany and save money, but like stated before vehicles here in Canada are cheaper.

Yes it does cost quite a bit in taxes, but I would claim that I am "moving" to the country.

ICEBERG
09-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Don't you get taxed for bringing a car overseas? Not sure but that's how it works in the Philippines, hence the premium price tag on an F-150 or a shitty Escape.

If you claim your moving to the country for good than they don't charge you as much. I guess it depends which country your moving to and their laws.

J NRG
09-26-2009, 07:08 PM

Hakkola
09-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by J NRG
If i was moving somewhere for 2 months i think id park the car and bring 500$ for a beater that i'd give away to a family at the end.

I thought most places in Europe dont allow used imports?

It's not an import if it's a car you own already. I forget how long you have to have owned the car, but I think it's less than a year.

stealth
09-26-2009, 07:21 PM
$500 won't get you anything. Also when you are in the market for a new vehicle and selling your current one won't net you much due to de-appreciation, this is a good idea.

Rat Fink
09-26-2009, 07:32 PM

J NRG
09-26-2009, 08:08 PM