PDA

View Full Version : Review: Ruths Chris Steakhouse - Calgary Tower

Neil4Speed
09-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Ruths Chris Steakhouse
2nd floor at the base of the Calgary Tower
294 115-9 Ave SE, Calgary, AB T2G 0P5
(403) 246-3636

I have wanted to go out for a good steak for a long time, and this place has always rung in my head, people always have told me its a great spot for a terrific steak so I thought I would give it a go. Made some reservations for Saturday but I didn't think I needed it.

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 10/10

The location in the second floor of the tower. The restaurant has a feel as if you walking into a very high end home, its separated into several dining areas and its amazing how quiet it is in there because of this. It was dark but with adequate lighting where you could see your date/menus/food. The appointments of everything scream quality, carpets, chairs, fireplace, dark wood everything. As far as the actual restaurant ambiance its probably my favorite in Calgary.

Food - 8.5/10

The food was great, I ordered a 10oz American Rib Eye, and my date got a US Petit Filet (which was actually reasonably big). Our server went into detail the difference between both and I deceided to go with the American just as something different. When the steak arrived it was perfectly seasoned and cooked exactly to how I liked it. Due to the 500 degree plate I found that it actually cooks a fair bit as your working on it, so toward the last 1/3 of the steak it was a bit more cooked that I would have ordinarily have liked it. I was surprised with the fat content in spite of it being a rib eye seemed excessive. The actual steak was delicious, but I would honestly say a step under the Keg at the Westin, and about on par with Murriettas. (I havn't tried Caesars though!)

The sides we had were Asparagus (Which was wonderful, crisp), and a Baked Sweet Potato dish which was too sweet for my tastes but is apparently a favorite and my date liked it as well. When we sat down, we were also brought some cheesy garlic bread which even though was quite simple, it was delicious!

Knowing that it was a special occasion Mike brought us an apple pie even though we mentioned that we were super full. The apple pie at Ruths is simply unreal. As far as a "OMG good moment" it blew the good steak out of the water, I would go strictly for the pie anytime - just incredible.

Service - 10/10

Our server was Mike, a guy who was in school but took his job at Ruths very seriously and obviously has been in the serving industry for a while. He was a younger guy who was easy to talk to. Food came promptly and he checked up on us + filled our water regularly. He called us by our first names which was nice. It was a a special occasion so he even took the liberty of giving us a comp Apple Pie.

Pricing 7.5/10

I am not really a fine dining connoisseur of sorts, but found Ruths overall to be more expensive than all of the other fine dining experiences I have had. I think you pay a premium for the "name", location, and the atmosphere ambiance. We didn't order drinks or appetizers and the bill came to $105 which I consider to be somewhat high considering a similar meal with wine/appetizers would be less at the Keg Westin. I thought that 44 dollars for a small steak was a little excessive - but for those who have the big pocketbooks, its moot point I suppose. Its a nice place to make an impression for a good dinner.

Overall - 8.5/10

A very enjoyable night, good food/service, the high price would be the caveat, but I suppose if you want to eat at Ruths with that kind of atmosphere you have to pay to play.

VWEvo
09-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Best steaks in the city hands down. American Beef FTW!!

cooker99
09-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Ruth's Chris is great. The negative reviews on this forum were just silly.

rage2
09-27-2009, 10:46 AM
There were negative reviews? This is by far my favorite restaurant in the city, I'm pretty much there weekly. The USDA filet is fucking amazing. That's the secret, my first few times I tried the Alberta steaks, and I think we've all been brainwashed on how awesome Alberta steaks are... they're OK, but the USDA cornfed steaks have so much more flavour, especially when it's prepared blue rare.

kevie88
09-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I didn't like Ruth's Chris. Maybe it's just me but I really didn't like the flavor of the meat. I went the one time and never went back.

Service was great however.

nonlinear
09-27-2009, 12:04 PM
great review neil! although i have to say that after your Keg comparison, i'm a bit leary... i've only been to the Keg (MacLeod location) once in my life, but have to say it was probably one of the worst dining experiences of my life. not gonna get into it now, but i'll just say that the food was absolutely terrible. i mean shit, for $140 I can go somewhere "good."

Freestylin
09-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I love Ruth's Chris. Great tasting steak and the service was pretty classy!

Neil4Speed
09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
great review neil! although i have to say that after your Keg comparison, i'm a bit leary... i've only been to the Keg (MacLeod location) once in my life, but have to say it was probably one of the worst dining experiences of my life. not gonna get into it now, but i'll just say that the food was absolutely terrible. i mean shit, for $140 I can go somewhere "good."

Happy People took the time to read my review lol

Well, I have heard the Keg is pretty hit or miss at most of the locations, however the one at the Westin has been touted as more of a fine-dining experience and therefore their food/ambiance has been turned up a few notches.

Originally posted by rage2
There were negative reviews? This is by far my favorite restaurant in the city, I'm pretty much there weekly. The USDA filet is fucking amazing. That's the secret, my first few times I tried the Alberta steaks, and I think we've all been brainwashed on how awesome Alberta steaks are... they're OK, but the USDA cornfed steaks have so much more flavour, especially when it's prepared blue rare.

You must be a steak connoisseur, I don't think I could taste much of a difference, if I went back I would definitely try out the Alberta steak options.

Lol Weekly? Your poor heart.

cooker99
09-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Keg @ Westin is OK. They have made the place nice and pretty inside. Service is hit or miss. We were served by an absolute idiot last time.

smartcar
09-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Dunno. My blue rare steak was refrigerator cold on the inside (nicely seared on the outside) and the (well-marbled) fat was yellow and hard. For $50 ($250 for 2 incl drinks) I expected better, although that was a year ago and I've never been back.