PDA

View Full Version : LF: driving job

Stealth13
09-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Looking for any type of driving job really, could be delivering parts, or anything.

Pollywog
09-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Interested in owner operator or driving a company vehicle? I have a few suggestions:

If it is owner operator: Elite Fleet Courier- always hiring, fun job especially if you are quick at the wheel and know the city. Decent pay (commision) + W&T. Can toke and play your tunes while you work. Edit: I forgot, they also have company vehicles if you want to do route work, versus pager+radio(using your own vehicle). I did pager+radio and it was a lot of fun.

Company vehicles: AutoValue or Napa Auto for parts delivery - both are also always hiring as they both struggle to keep consistant staff. Pay is approx. $12 but its a chill job.

Stealth13
09-28-2009, 01:11 AM
What kind of vehicle do
You have to own? A truck? Or does a car work? Thanks for the suggestions by the way, I'll try them all!

Pollywog
09-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Stealth13
What kind of vehicle do
You have to own? A truck? Or does a car work? Thanks for the suggestions by the way, I'll try them all!

I had my benz coupe when I was working for Elite Fleet, anything works. I just couldn't take anything too large.

Edit: Also, years back I did P/T Pizza Delivery. You could work when you wanted, decent tips, and just in general a pretty fun.

lachris
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
how much money can you make at Elite?

redrocket
09-28-2009, 02:10 PM
What kind of things do you deleivery with elite? just parcels and what not?

Stealth13
10-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I got the job at elite! :)

trevh
10-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Maybe one day you will be able to paint your car camo green and drive around with a lady bug on it.

Well done!

Pollywog
10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Stealth13
I got the job at elite! :)
Congratulations! Is Gord your new boss? He was great when I was there.

Originally posted by lachris
how much money can you make at Elite?

I actually can't quite remember, as it was commission based off of the package, urgency, and distance. From what I remembered, on good days I could average anywhere from 15-20/h, and shit days anywhere from 10-12/h.

Originally posted by redrocket
What kind of things do you deleivery with elite? just parcels and what not?

Yep, mainly envelopes but packages, rolls, etc. were also a daily sight. Because I drove a smaller car, I was not usually given anything large by dispatch.

I have to say, being able to wake up AT the hour you are supposed to work, hop in the car and turn on your radio to dispatch, and be able to grab a nice warm coffee and smoke a joi...cough*...I mean a cigarette on the way to your first destination while at the same time lounging in your own ride bumping to your tunes - it was awesome.

Hakkola
10-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

and be able to grab a nice warm coffee and smoke a joi...cough*...I mean a cigarette...

It wasn't funny the first time.

Pollywog
10-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

It wasn't funny the first time.
Sorry mom :dunno:

PS: Thanks a bunch for your contribution to this thread. It far surpasses the advice I offered - which ended up landing the guy a job.

Stealth13
10-11-2009, 12:39 AM
The position I got is a route driver and we have a fixed pay per month, no commission or anything. Yes I believe the bosses name is Gord.

Do you need to change your insurance to a delivery one?

What percent of expenses can you write off (and how much of that do you actually get back?)

So overall was it worth it after all the expenses? (like if your engine goes because of all the extra driving and it costs $2000, how much will you receive back?)

Stealth13
10-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Still looking for a job. Decided not to take it because I couldn't find enough information about the costs of owner operator