PDA

View Full Version : sub box wiring thing

tegdream
11-12-2003, 08:12 PM
dunno what its called but i need one those things to connect the wires inside to outside on a sub box...with on red and one black

jdmakkord
11-12-2003, 08:12 PM
terminal

JGerke
11-12-2003, 08:54 PM
yo, just go to radio shack. You can get a good wire terminal for like $3, one of the twist ones if you know what i mean....the ones on the good boxes.

)v(ortal
11-12-2003, 11:28 PM
get a square shaped one... drill the square to exact dimentions... put it in, make sure you do this first...

1. get the square terminal
2. measure ur box
3. connect a decent guage wire.. 8g is wat i go with
4. seal the inside of the terminal... were theres the gap from ur hole and terminal...fill that with silicone (so u dont get that annoyin squeeking noise
5. let the silicone sit and try it out

^^ thats wat i would do and good luck

-db

Big_C_racing
11-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Totally agree with your directions )v(ortal except for one thing....8 gauge wire from the the sub to the amp is a little bit of overkill if you are flowing less than say 3 or 4 hundred watts(not sure what the exact number is). You can get 16 gauge or even 10/12 for a lot cheaper. 8 gauge wire is really meant to go from your amp to your battery and ground.

I built a custom box and used one of those $3 terminals and it worked great. :)

)v(ortal
11-14-2003, 11:52 PM
^^ ya i mean just inside the box... thats me i go killer so ahaha ya 10-14-16 are good to .... wat ever u have !!!

-db

)v(ortal
11-14-2003, 11:54 PM
8 g for ur ground and 12v power??? are u kidden me... ull have a wire... dont go any smaller then 4g on g or a 12v.... specially if ur runnin rockford (not sure just saying) cuz if the amp shits out on u it will even make a 4g wire heat up fast.. ( add a little accident with that one) ahaha but ya...

-db

hjr
11-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Radio Shack!!!!!!!!!!!!!

)v(ortal
11-15-2003, 12:01 AM
^^ tru dat

JGerke
11-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by )v(ortal
8 g for ur ground and 12v power??? are u kidden me... ull have a wire... dont go any smaller then 4g on g or a 12v.... specially if ur runnin rockford (not sure just saying) cuz if the amp shits out on u it will even make a 4g wire heat up fast.. ( add a little accident with that one) ahaha but ya...

-db

Hey, not necessarily...... you can use 8 guage wire as long as the power coming out of your amp doesn't exceed 435 watts, 4 guage you can use for up to 1100 watts.......so really the guage of wire you use just depends on how big your amp is.......however you can still use 4 guage for say 300 watts, and it would be smart to do because then you have less voltage loss in your power wire, and there is less resistance, so you have better current flow!! it just depends on how much money you want to spend!

davidI
11-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by JGerke

Hey, not necessarily...... you can use 8 guage wire as long as the power coming out of your amp doesn't exceed 435 watts, 4 guage you can use for up to 1100 watts.......so really the guage of wire you use just depends on how big your amp is.......however you can still use 4 guage for say 300 watts, and it would be smart to do because then you have less voltage loss in your power wire, and there is less resistance, so you have better current flow!! it just depends on how much money you want to spend!

It's not only wattage but the length of the wire you're running. There are charts of what guage wire you should run depending on wattage and length of wire.

One other thing about the silicone to seal it, it's a great idea but you have to be careful because I have heard that the drying fumes will ruin some sub surrounds. So maybe have it siliconed in and dried before you install your subs.

inawiJ
11-19-2003, 06:09 PM
the best way to go