PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg........again

top_speed
09-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Two teenagers who conspired to kill staff, students and employees at three Winnipeg schools and a church pleaded guilty Tuesday to conspiring to commit murder.

The two, a male and a female, were 17 when they were charged by Winnipeg police in January and cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

They both turned 18 while in custody.

Lorette Collegiate, Fort Richmond Collegiate, the University of Manitoba and Church of the Rock were the targets of the plot, according to court documents.

The teens were charged with four counts of murder conspiracy. They pleaded guilty only to the count relating to Fort Richmond Collegiate as part of a plea deal reached some time ago, but only revealed publicly Tuesday, court transcripts show.

Crown attorney Susan Baragar told Judge Wanda Garreck the entire plan will come out at a sentencing hearing at a later date.

"There really was one plan, and that one plan did include other places. So at the time of sentencing, the whole plan will be before the court in terms of the statement of facts that's presented," Baragar said.

Police previously said the conspiracy was past the planning stage and would have involved the use of four rifles and ammunition to attack four Winnipeg locations.

Const. Jacqueline Chaput said at the time the plan was to kill at random as many people as possible, including students, adults, church parishioners and "pretty much anyone who was going to get in their way."

The boy was arrested at a Winnipeg psychiatric ward after his father phoned police to inform them of the conspiracy.

No word on punishment

Police said they found firearms stolen from a Portage la Prairie home in a Waverley Heights home last November. The home was where the boy lived with his mother.

But in Tuesday's hearing, the Crown stayed all weapons-related and break-and-enter charges as part of the plea deal.

The Crown has said it will seek adult sentences with the consent of the teens' defence lawyers and their parents.

Speaking for the male, defence lawyer Greg Brodsky said he understands the gravity of the deal that has been reached.

"He understands the significance ... and his plea is one he has consulted on with me extensively," Brodsky said.

Jeff Ginden, lawyer for the female, said she also knows she's giving up her right to a trial.

Other than to say "yes, ma'am," to the judge's questions as they pleaded guilty, they both remained silent during the hearing.

But Baragar told CBC News she won't reveal in advance how much jail time prosecutors are seeking.

"As it will be a joint recommendation I don't think it should be published until the court has heard it," Baragar said in an email.

Neither of the two has a prior criminal record, but the female is facing a criminal mischief charge stemming from an incident at the Manitoba Youth Centre earlier this year, when she was charged by police as an adult.

The next step will be a hearing to determine where the two will serve their sentences. The procedure is mandatory under Canadian youth justice laws.

It's possible they could remain in a youth facility if they're not going to be housed there past age 20.

Their next court date will be Oct. 7 at the Manitoba Youth Centre, to get an update on the progress of a report to determine where they'll be incarcerated. :facepalm: :facepalm:

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=21972969

persiancarpet
09-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Classy joint

Jlude
09-29-2009, 06:08 PM
It's funny that I only hear Winnipeg news from Beyond and not at work or anywhere else.

spikerS
09-29-2009, 06:09 PM
winnipeg, the new shithole of the country.

swak
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by spikers

NEW??

Hasn't it always been?

TorqueDog
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
The two, a male and a female, were 17 when they were charged by Winnipeg police in January and cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

They both turned 18 while in custody.Bullshit. Release the fucking names. :banghead:

ekguy
09-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
It's funny that I only hear Winnipeg news from Beyond and not at work or anywhere else.

start reading the papers then. I've read plenty about Winnipeg lately...And none of it good.

FiveFreshFish
09-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
The Crown has said it will seek adult sentences with the consent of the teens' defence lawyers and their parents.

Why does the Crown need consent?

sputnik
09-30-2009, 07:47 AM
I guess everyone here has already forgotten the name Jason Lang.

Tomaz
09-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Why does the Crown need consent?

“The two, a male and a female, were 17 when they were charged by Winnipeg police in January and cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.”

It seems sentencing is determined from time of arrest, not time of prosecution. Mind you Lawyers and Judges and bend the rules here and there.

Originally posted by spikers

Always has been, always will be. I lived there for a short period of time and didn't like it at all. I even lived in a good neighborhood! In 3 months, my GF and I were: threatened twice, knife pulled once, and witnessed one robbery. I hate to mention, but all incidences involved people from the First Nations.

scat19
09-30-2009, 08:58 AM
What a nice 18th. in jail.

sputnik
09-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Always has been, always will be. I lived there for a short period of time and didn't like it at all. I even lived in a good neighborhood! In 3 months, my GF and I were: threatened twice, knife pulled once, and witnessed one robbery. I hate to mention, but all incidences involved people from the First Nations.

Which nice neighbourhood was that in?

swak
09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
I go to winnipeg yearly, and that is the only place I've ever been threatened to be 'jumped'. Scary shit downtown. But in the nice areas, or if you go to the suburbs, its a nice area.

Anomaly
09-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Ah Winnipeg, the Asshole of the prairies

sputnik
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by swak
I go to winnipeg yearly, and that is the only place I've ever been threatened to be 'jumped'. Scary shit downtown. But in the nice areas, or if you go to the suburbs, its a nice area.

I lived in Winnipeg for 22+ years. I go back several times a year. I had never been jumped, stabbed or even been in a fight with someone I didn't know.

Either you guys are pussies or you are are stirring shit up with people to get yourselves into trouble. Seriously. The way some of you guys are talking one might think that just walking down the street will get you stabbed.

Let me guess. You guys are also scared of walking around in the NE because of the EIs that live in the area.

Tomaz
09-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Which nice neighbourhood was that in?

St. Norbert.

Just to note, I am not one to "start shit" (minus that one time at the beyond meet with the Supra driver that suffered from penis envy lol).

sputnik
09-30-2009, 09:35 AM

St. Norbert.

Just to note, I am not one to "start shit" (minus that one time at the beyond meet with the Supra driver that suffered from penis envy lol).

Now I know you are exaggerating.

Getting jumped by Indians in St. Norbert?

That's about as likely as getting jumped by a crackhead in McKenzie Towne.

How is it, that I can live there for decades without a problem and you have all of those incidents inside 3 months in the neighbourhood in the furthest southern portion of the city?

Tomaz
09-30-2009, 10:01 AM

Now I know you are exaggerating.

Getting jumped by Indians in St. Norbert?

That's about as likely as getting jumped by a crackhead in McKenzie Towne.

How is it, that I can live there for decades without a problem and you have all of those incidents inside 3 months in the neighbourhood in the furthest southern portion of the city?

If it makes you feel better, the knife incident happened outside the YMCA on Portage.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. My house got flooded out that spring. Out of the 15 houses on my street, my house and the guy across the street got flooded. I was cursed while living there! lol

I tried living in St. Boniface and had the military training on the street and back alley everyday. So fuck it, I was happy to move outta there when I did. lol

Like I said, cursed.

sputnik
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM

If it makes you feel better, the knife incident happened outside the YMCA on Portage.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. My house got flooded out that spring. Out of the 15 houses on my street, my house and the guy across the street got flooded. I was cursed while living there! lol

I tried living in St. Boniface and had the military training on the street and back alley everyday. So fuck it, I was happy to move outta there when I did. lol

Like I said, cursed.

So it's just you and not the city.

Military training in St. Boniface? WTF?

swak
09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I think it has somethibg to do with being in the wrong place àþ the wrong time, it could happen in calgary but its never happened, and I go downtown on a very regular basis(work and rec.)
This was on Portage and Albert.

take a drive north up main street. There's nothing even close in calgary to being as run down as that, and its a pretty major road too.

But for an amazing breakfast go to 'the eye opener' just south of the ring road on main street.

Tomaz
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM

So it's just you and not the city.

Military training in St. Boniface? WTF?

Only in winnipeg this happened. So I blame city.

They were doing "urban training". Basically a bunch of guys in SWAT gear and Airsoft guns training for assults in a residential setting. It was quite nerve racking waking up to a 200lb+ man with an assult rife standing by your car.

sputnik
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by swak
take a drive north up main street. There's nothing even close in calgary to being as run down as that, and its a pretty major road too.

Don't get me wrong. Winnipeg ain't a pretty town. Calgary looks much nicer just based on the way it has been laid out due to it being a younger city and a city fueled (up until now) by massive oil and gas revenues.

Winnipeg boomed in the early 1900s. There is a MAJOR CPR rail yard built directly north of downtown and is now surrounded by heavy industrial areas and next to that the "North End" which is one of the poorer areas in the city.

It would be the same as if you added 20-25+ track wide rail yard between 9th and 10th on the south end of downtown and moved all of the industrial areas around Ogden and Foothills industrial park around those tracks and then put the residential communities of Dover, Ogden and Forest Lawn next to the industrial area. It would be pretty ugly and make the downtown appear as so as well. You would probably also have a number of unwanted people in the downtown core as a result as well.

However get through that area and you get into some really nice communities just like in every other city in Canada.

Calgary wins, not due to a lack of crime or bad people. However more due to their proximity to downtown and everyone else. It also helps that Calgary has two MASSIVE Indian reservations directly adjacent to the city. In Manitoba most of the reserves are in the remote north where the is f-all to do. So many natives move into the city. With that brings an element of poverty and crime (no different than the NE of Calgary). Remove the Tsui Tina and Siksika reserves and Calgary would be a MUCH different place.

Calgary isn't any more or less dangerous. People still get killed here, wives and kids still get beaten up and gang wars prevail. To think otherwise is just being ignorant.

With any city in Canada, if you keep your head up, your nose clean and don't associate with people destined for trouble, you will be just fine regardless of where you live.

bourge73
09-30-2009, 10:34 AM
:rofl: man that area is a country club compared to Furby and Portage (Ninja Edit)

sputnik
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by bourge73
:rofl: man that area is a country club compared to Furby and main

Uh.

Furby and Main run parallel to each other about 15-20 blocks apart from each other.

sputnik
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM

They were doing "urban training". Basically a bunch of guys in SWAT gear and Airsoft guns training for assults in a residential setting. It was quite nerve racking waking up to a 200lb+ man with an assult rife standing by your car.

I am sure that happens EVERY day in Winnipeg. Sorry to hear the big policeman made you scared. :rolleyes:

Because the Calgary TAC team NEVER trains or goes into action in Calgary. :rolleyes:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=f65c8807-68bf-4c56-95c1-e1f1948454c7&k=21398
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/03/14/standoff-over.html

Amazing what happens when you put things into perspective.

masoncgy
09-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Calgary isn't any more or less dangerous. People still get killed here, wives and kids still get beaten up and gang wars prevail. To think otherwise is just being ignorant.

Actually, Calgary is a far safer city to live in than Winnipeg. Crime statistics back it up. Winnipeg's violent crime index is double what Calgary's is.

Sure, you can still be the victim of violent crime here... but the chance of that occurring in Winnipeg is far, far higher.

That's reality. Statistics don't lie.

bourge73
09-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Ninja edited for accuracy (although man, main street is a dump)

sputnik
09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by bourge73
:rofl: man that area is a country club compared to Furby and Portage (Ninja Edit)

You might want to update your opinion.

This is what is currently being built at Portage and Furby.

Thanks for trying troll.

http://canada.archiseek.com/news/2007/000031.html

sputnik
09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Actually, Calgary is a far safer city to live in than Winnipeg. Crime statistics back it up. Winnipeg's violent crime index is double what Calgary's is.

Sure, you can still be the victim of violent crime here... but the chance of that occurring in Winnipeg is far, far higher.

That's reality. Statistics don't lie.

Buying two tickets for the 6/49 draw doesn't really make your odds THAT much better.

Sure your odds (statistically speaking) are TWICE as good. However the chances of you being a millionaire after the draw is still incredibly low.

bourge73
09-30-2009, 11:13 AM
So? that doesnt mean shit. U of W is in the core as well, so its a nice area because they are building a fancy office? why dont you show some pictures of the area they are building around it?

sputnik
09-30-2009, 11:22 AM
You are the one that cherry picked Portage Ave and Furby St.

I was just showing everyone else what is being built there.

OH NOES! The University of Winnipeg Science building!

bourge73
09-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Ok true enough sure we proved our points and I agree with alot of your points. I lived there for 10+ yrs and never had a problem ever, other than what friends or I started. No your not going to get jumped or stabbed and probably have the same chance of having it happen on 17th ave as you do there. I am glad they are building a new building in the core as it needs all of the investment it can get.

gam0s
09-30-2009, 11:27 AM

I lived in Winnipeg for 22+ years. I go back several times a year. I had never been jumped, stabbed or even been in a fight with someone I didn't know.

Either you guys are pussies or you are are stirring shit up with people to get yourselves into trouble. Seriously. The way some of you guys are talking one might think that just walking down the street will get you stabbed.

Let me guess. You guys are also scared of walking around in the NE because of the EIs that live in the area.

I also grew up there, and no problems.

Tomaz
09-30-2009, 11:54 AM

I am sure that happens EVERY day in Winnipeg. Sorry to hear the big policeman made you scared. :rolleyes:

Because the Calgary TAC team NEVER trains or goes into action in Calgary. :rolleyes:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=f65c8807-68bf-4c56-95c1-e1f1948454c7&k=21398
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/03/14/standoff-over.html

Amazing what happens when you put things into perspective.

I was half asleep, he had an assult rifle... Give me a break! lol

I want to point out that it was the Armed Forces, not TAC. They might train in public here too, but fuck, not what I was expecting when living there.

masoncgy
09-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Buying two tickets for the 6/49 draw doesn't really make your odds THAT much better.

Sure your odds (statistically speaking) are TWICE as good. However the chances of you being a millionaire after the draw is still incredibly low.

According to crime stats, 12% of Winnipeg inhabitants (citizens/vistors/etc) are victimized by crime every year...

Yeah, not a very good example when you consider the odds of winning the lottery are 1 in 14,000,000 ...

;)

scat19
09-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Sputnik has winnipegs back, son!

bourge73
09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
No kidding Scat!

Mys73ri0
09-30-2009, 12:48 PM

Downtown Wpg is a lot different than downtown Calgary. There's no Steven's Ave in Wpg and for the most part, once the working day ends, everyone is back in their respective suburban areas. As Sputnik mentioned, Wpg is a very old city and didn't benefit from a O/G boom, not a major port city (Van) or a financial headquarter (TO).

YMCA Portage isn't the same area as St. Norbert so you're giving the wrong impression by saying you were jumped as you mentioned in your previous post.

Going out on a limb here, but I would say crime rates in core areas for any city is a lot higher than in suburban areas.

Are you stating that because your house was flooded that Wpg is a shit hole? Last I checked flooding is both something that occurs a fair amount (in certain areas) of Wpg and not considered 'crime'. Yes you mentioned you have 'bad luck' but is that reason to say a city is a shit hole?

Have you lived in every part of Calgary to be sure no such thing happens in Calgary or any other city for that matter?

According to crime stats, 12% of Winnipeg inhabitants (citizens/vistors/etc) are victimized by crime every year...
Yeah, not a very good example when you consider the odds of winning the lottery are 1 in 14,000,000 ...

can you please link your statistics? Not that I doubt you, but stats are only good if you know what they are based on.

sputnik
09-30-2009, 12:50 PM

Got a reference for your 12% stat?

I guess that it would also depend on the definition of crime.

Does it include people getting their cars keyed, asked for money by a panhandler and getting cut off by a drunk driver?

The likelihood of being victimized by a RANDOM violent crime would still be VERY minuscule. So to say that Winnipeg is "twice as bad" as Calgary means that the liklihood of me being randomly attacked is still statistically VERY small regardless of the city I live in.

Tomaz
09-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0

Downtown Wpg is a lot different than downtown Calgary. There's no Steven's Ave in Wpg and for the most part, once the working day ends, everyone is back in their respective suburban areas. As Sputnik mentioned, Wpg is a very old city and didn't benefit from a O/G boom, not a major port city (Van) or a financial headquarter (TO).

YMCA Portage isn't the same area as St. Norbert so you're giving the wrong impression by saying you were jumped as you mentioned in your previous post.

Going out on a limb here, but I would say crime rates in core areas for any city is a lot higher than in suburban areas.

Are you stating that because your house was flooded that Wpg is a shit hole? Last I checked flooding is both something that occurs a fair amount (in certain areas) of Wpg and not considered 'crime'. Yes you mentioned you have 'bad luck' but is that reason to say a city is a shit hole?

Have you lived in every part of Calgary to be sure no such thing happens in Calgary or any other city for that matter?

can you please link your statistics? Not that I doubt you, but stats are only good if you know what they are based on.

The knife incident did happen DT yes. However everything else that happened was within a 15 minute walk from the house. So I am not giving the WRONG impression, just my impression/experience.

No shit crime is more centralized to the core. No matter where you are. My experience (beside the ONE) was in St. Norbert.

One of the shitty experiences I had was a house get flooded. This added to my shitty experience overall. Flooding happens, crime happens, 200lb men with assault rifles in your yard could happen. All of it happening in 3 months? That is an impression that makes me believe the city is shit. And will never go back again.

Do I have to make a disclaimer for my posts? shit! lol

Question, you have a shitty experience at a dealership when buying a new car. The car has constant problems, the salesperson was a douche, the service manager does not look after your car. You feel like you got wallet raped, your car is useless, and the people who can help you won’t. Will you go back to that dealership?

I fucking hope not.

PS: I have used the word “Experience” 5 times, so maybe you will get the point that this is MY EXPERIENCE with the city and that there is no way otherwise anyone could convince me that this city is worth my time or effort.

TorqueDog
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I lived in the 'Peg for 21 years - in four months, my parents' truck got broken into six times... in our driveway. Shit used to get stolen from our backyard. This is very much unlike sputnik's fairy-tale experience there.

They live in one of the nicer parts of Winnipeg. They have actually told me they're considering leaving because it's gotten so bad.

Calgary isn't without its faults - but if I had to choose between raising a family in Calgary or Winnipeg, Calgary wins hands down for the safety of my family and my comfort with the city itself.

sputnik
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I lived in the 'Peg for 21 years - in four months, my parents' truck got broken into six times... in our driveway. Shit used to get stolen from our backyard. This is very much unlike sputnik's fairy-tale experience there.

They live in one of the nicer parts of Winnipeg. They have actually told me they're considering leaving because it's gotten so bad.

Calgary isn't without its faults - but if I had to choose between raising a family in Calgary or Winnipeg, Calgary wins hands down for the safety of my family and my comfort with the city itself.

Which neighborhood?

Getting one truck broken into several times is an anomaly in any city. Unless of course your parents kept putting the same stereo back into their truck, refused to get an alarm and would leave valuables on the seat only to have the same people coming back as soon as the truck returns from the MPI repairs. Personally I never had a car broken into in Winnipeg. However my car broken into twice over the course of one month while living in Calgary. Both times my car was rummaged around in and nothing was stolen and they didn't even happen at the LRT lots.

Does automatically that mean Calgary sucks? No. I still think of it as a safe place to raise kids.

That said, at least in Winnipeg you don't have to worry about your kids growing up with a bunch of silver spoons who grew up with filipino accents (just like their nannies) and their negligent parents give them everything they want because they are both too busy working 14 hour days to bother properly parenting their spoiled brat kids.

When I first moved to Calgary, I thought I was in heaven. I would crap on Winnipeg ALL of the time and tell my friends back home how amazing Calgary was. Eventually after 2-3 years, you really begin to recognize how similar every city is once you take off the rose coloured glasses.

TorqueDog, you are still relatively new to Calgary. One day you will understand.

gam0s
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Calgary will have its time, Winnipeg is passed its prime. It's still the city to party in.

adam c
09-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by gam0s
Calgary will have its time, Winnipeg is passed its prime. It's still the city to party in.

yea just don't bring your children there:rolleyes:

Pahnda
09-30-2009, 03:45 PM
That said, at least in Winnipeg you don't have to worry about your kids growing up with a bunch of silver spoons who grew up with filipino accents (just like their nannies) and their negligent parents give them everything they want because they are both too busy working 14 hour days to bother properly parenting their spoiled brat kids.

Arrghhh me matie, keep sharpenin' thar axe. 'tis useful for the feast!

persiancarpet
09-30-2009, 06:10 PM

I grew up in Calgary and never knew anyone like that. You sound just as moronic as those stereotyping the 'peg.

gam0s
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
time to thread jack!... bring back the Winnipeg Jets.. BAHAHA

Tomaz
09-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by gam0s
time to thread jack!... bring back the Winnipeg Jets.. BAHAHA :thumbsup: hahaha

FlySi
09-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Which neighborhood?

Getting one truck broken into several times is an anomaly in any city. Unless of course your parents kept putting the same stereo back into their truck, refused to get an alarm and would leave valuables on the seat only to have the same people coming back as soon as the truck returns from the MPI repairs. Personally I never had a car broken into in Winnipeg. However my car broken into twice over the course of one month while living in Calgary. Both times my car was rummaged around in and nothing was stolen and they didn't even happen at the LRT lots.

Does automatically that mean Calgary sucks? No. I still think of it as a safe place to raise kids.

When I first moved to Calgary, I thought I was in heaven. I would crap on Winnipeg ALL of the time and tell my friends back home how amazing Calgary was. Eventually after 2-3 years, you really begin to recognize how similar every city is once you take off the rose coloured glasses.

TorqueDog, you are still relatively new to Calgary. One day you will understand.

Ok, we get it. Winnipeg is a beautiful place, full of successful people and the envy of Canada. Can you shut the fuck up now?

g-m
10-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Which neighborhood?

holy crap are you kidding me? I have a ton of family there and my parents took me to the lake/winnipeg every year for the first 18 years of my life. It is a SHITHOLE. It looks like a third world city. You couldn't PAY me to live there. Its common to have your car broken into actually, who were you talking to? I heard all the same things from my large family, natives braking into cars in driveways, stealing from the backyard, violent crime.
My uncle witnessed a van full of natives that cruised into his old neighborhood, dispersed, and stole cars. He didn't realize it at the time but when he talked to neighbors over the week it became pretty obvious.
I can't believe there are people defending the place. Its practically a bombed out wreck driving in from the airport.

Add to that the annual floods, the -40*C for 6 months straight with no letup, the massive amounts of snow, and the poor job and housing markets and you get a city that is a total disaster.

No. Thanks. Why the hell do you think everyones moving out? There are 3 families including my own on my cul de sac who have winnipeg roots. Out of 8.
Oh well its becoming common for easterners to move west and its no mystery.

Nissanaddict
10-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Eventually after 2-3 years, you really begin to recognize how similar every city is once you take off the rose coloured glasses.

Nah....Winnipeg is considerably worse. It's certainly not un-livable. While partially, it's the area where I grew up (Inkster and Powers), there is a far bigger percentage of that in Winnipeg than there is in Calgary. I still go back every now and then, and I know what to do, and what to avoid. Calgary is a much better city to live in. I've lived about half my life in each. Here, I've had one jacket stolen from a friend's car, and our family's lost one bicycle. There, it was 5 bikes, 3 garage break-ins, constant vandalism of cars, property...considerably worse.