PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Framing

2.2vtec
09-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Looking to frame a 900 sq ft basement. One bedroom and one bath will be put in. What is a general rule of them for cost or generally how much should this cost?

I got a quote for 4k but that seems a little high but I could be way off.

Thanks

barmanjay
09-29-2009, 08:55 PM
well, depends on how high, how many rooms, staircase, etc,etc,etc...

4k does seem a bit high, unless you are moving some major support beams and using steel studs, which I would never do in a basement.

Remember ceilings/bulkheads have to framed aswell, access to plumbing stack clean-outs and etc.

IIRC when I pieced it out,the average price would be close to that. more like $3k-$3500. But if I was developing the whole basement, It would be closer to the $3k-$2500 mark.

sxtasy
09-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Are these load bearing walls? Or just cosmetic? I would do the framing yourself, sounds simple. :dunno:

quazimoto
09-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Please use wood and not metal studs. In all seriousness depending on the type of house it's pretty easy to frame the basement. I just always hate installing suspending ceilings, I find them to be a pain.

barmanjay
09-29-2009, 09:16 PM
If you do it yourself:

You don't have to buy full 8ft studs if your basement is 8ft or shorter. you can buy "stud length" - 92 5/8" studs.

Framing isn't that special if you have the tools, measuring tape, level and a good head on your shoulders.

you might want to look into using a pressure treated 2x4 for your bottom plate of the all walls
interior walls don't have to be 16" on center, they can be 24" on center.
doorways -make sure you have a king and jack stud and an (iirc) 82" crown (maybe it was 81.5")
For a 30" door - the opening for your king studs should be (iirc) 34.5-35"" apart.
A little trick from here - use a sawzall to cut the sill out from in between the kings = your crown. Measure 2 studs at 82", tack to your kings and place the crown.

When you frame your exterior walls, try and leave at least an inch of space and when you insulate, try not to let the insulation touch the exterior concrete.

Use 6mil vapour barrier and use red tuck tape to seal all seams. If you want to go crazy, run an acoustic caulking along the top and bottom plate before you tack on your vapour barrier

you can build your bulkheads with 2x2's, but build carefully and precisely - 2x2's are that strong - definitely go 16" on center.

for the unlevel floor joists you can use metal strap called "sound bar" or "resillient bar"

For the unproven, your framing in your basement will take you anywhere from 1-2 weeks, however a good crew should have it done in less than a week. Infact I would frame a whole 1000 sq/ft basement myself (3 rooms and bathroom), including bulkheads and strapping ceilings in about 5 days.

Look at materials running about $1000+

2.2vtec
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm not exactly a handy man and wouldn't think of doing it myself. I would rather pay someone who has the experience to do it 110% professional. I"m only putting one master bedroom and one washroom. If anyone on here have a lot of experience framing please PM if you can give a quote. I already have a professional plan on paper (showing dimensions etc)

2.2vtec
10-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I just got a quote for 2k including labour and materials. Anyone know if this is a good deal?

barmanjay
10-01-2009, 01:30 PM
is that including insulation and vapour barrier?
is that walls only?
are they doing bulkheads and strapping ceiling?
insulating ceiling?

quazimoto
10-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the exterior foundation wall is already insulated you can literally frame on the inside of it and hence should not require insullation?

yohan4ws
10-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I think you might get more success if you offer beer pizza and or some cash to have somebody over and help you do this work yourself ... A decent mitre saw can be purchased for as little as $100.

Grab a book, and then go at it. You'll save a tonne.

If the bathroom isn't roughed in, hammering the cement will be very expensive driving up the cost, you can rent a hilti jack hammer for $250 or so per day.

Barmanjay is a pretty handy guy, he's helped me in the past but dude, don't put your 2x4 every 24 inches! Do 16, ever lean on a wall by accident or fall into it moving furniture?

$4k in my opinion doesn't seem like a bad price considering the rough in for the plumbing, that needs to be taken care of prior to completing the framing.

Post up your blue print with dimensions and we can give you a better idea.

CUG
10-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
Looking to frame a 900 sq ft basement. One bedroom and one bath will be put in. What is a general rule of them for cost or generally how much should this cost?

I got a quote for 4k but that seems a little high but I could be way off.

Thanks 4k seems normal for this time of year. It's cold out and I know a lot of smaller companies try to squeeze people who want it done before the snow flies hard.