PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder how a skyscraper crane goes up?

frozenrice
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
I've always wondered how they work. Came across this today.

RB91Sm-kGJ8

Swank
09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I've been wondering the same for years, thanks!

adidas
09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Cool man...thx for sharing! :thumbsup:

freshprince1
09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Great post. My friend is an engineer and he tried toe xplainit once...this video did a much better job.

flipstah
09-30-2009, 04:49 PM
WOW! That is quite a neat and ingenious invention!

Thanks for the vid! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Senseiz
09-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I saw that on discovery once. Pretty neat idea for sure.

DJ Lazy
09-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Swank

+1

Kobe
09-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Swank

X2 thanks for the video

Ajay
09-30-2009, 05:10 PM
I too have always wondered how this big ass cranes go up.

Great vid!

arian_ma
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Genius! What's that tune?

Russo
09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
nice vid!

supe
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Dont you think the first setup phase seemed a little tedious... It would have been a lot cooler if a truck drives up, a button is pressed and it transforms itself into the crane base.

ryder_23
09-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Thats awesome, nice contribution

syritis
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
tower cranes scare the shat outta me. if your the operator and something goes wrong. your the first one to know it and then you get to watch knowing full well the outcome as the tower slowly falls over.

like when the earthquake hit Taipei 101

DannyO
09-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by supe
Dont you think the first setup phase seemed a little tedious... It would have been a lot cooler if a truck drives up, a button is pressed and it transforms itself into the crane base.

Sounds like someones been playing too much Command & Conquer.

97'Scort
09-30-2009, 05:41 PM
FYI, this isn't how all of these cranes go up, just the really massive ones that have to be located on ground level.

Most of the cranes you will see are assembled by large mobile cranes rather than the hydraulic lifter unit.

beyond_ban
09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I wonder how the operator can get in and out of the crane... And now i want to know how the crane like the one that is like inside of the Bow tower is made and works.

frozenrice
09-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Genius! What's that tune?

From one of the comments :

"My Shooter" by Groove Cutter

Kinjou
09-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Good post! I wonder how the method above would change to reflect situations where the crane is actually part of the build as it goes up. Like the picture below

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/images/2008/12/26/trump_crane.jpg

Speed_69
09-30-2009, 06:21 PM
wow! great video. i see these skyscraper crane gets higher and higher in downtown all the time and always wonder how the hell did they do that? lol

b_t
09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Kinjou
Good post! I wonder how the method above would change to reflect situations where the crane is actually part of the build as it goes up. Like the picture below

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/images/2008/12/26/trump_crane.jpg

They probably just do the same thing, except it is built where an elevator shaft or stairwell will eventually go

persiancarpet
09-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by b_t

They probably just do the same thing, except it is built where an elevator shaft or stairwell will eventually go

No they don't. It will either come down by chopper or with a second crane (if the building has one).

A good example of this is the BOW tower downtown.

J NRG
09-30-2009, 07:04 PM

eblend
09-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by J NRG
I also wonder how the dude gets in and out? 20 years ago climbing the ladder would be obviously the answer but now?

I don't think that part changed much. I was watching from my office the crane go down at the Centenial place. It had 2 in-building cranes and the taller one was used to disassemble the second one. Was pretty cool to watch.

Centenial place is my new office building (the shorter tower) come next year...woot brand new building for our company, like 10 floors of it

rufi0
09-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by J NRG
I also wonder how the dude gets in and out? 20 years ago climbing the ladder would be obviously the answer but now?

Construction elevators

CokerRat
09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I always wondered how they disassemble the crane once it's at the top of a 40 storey building?

Kinjou
09-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by persiancarpet

No they don't. It will either come down by chopper or with a second crane (if the building has one).

A good example of this is the BOW tower downtown.

Won't they have to seal all the wholes left behind then? That itself is a big job.

persiancarpet
09-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Kinjou

Won't they have to seal all the wholes left behind then? That itself is a big job.

Yes and yes.:thumbsup:

gam0s
09-30-2009, 11:21 PM
that was pretty cool. always wondered about that

blueToy
09-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by rufi0

Construction elevators

Not really . They can take a elevator to the last floor where the crane base is , but they all still have to make the climb up via a very little ladder within the tower .

As for taking them down , usually done in the dead of night . For most buildings here , they bring in a very large mobile crane . For very large buildings , they use helicopters to bring down the pieces , one by one . Just the opposite of how they put it together . Its pretty simple , but not so easy to actually do it . I've only watched .

euphoria
09-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Pretty interesting video :thumbsup: I've always wondered how they were built, can't believe the idea of the crane building itself never crossed my simple little mind. :banghead:

FraserB
09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
There are also cranes that are anchored to 4 or 5 stories withing the building that will just jack themselves up and re-anchor when they build more floors, so when the project in done the crane is the same size as when they started but higher up.

When they had the crane at MRC they had it mounted on rails so they could move it along the site as needed, pretty cool to watch. Even more fun to be there when Mammoet brings in the 500 toners and starts to break these down.

CUG
10-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
I wonder how the operator can get in and out of the crane... And now i want to know how the crane like the one that is like inside of the Bow tower is made and works. That one might get buried in the building there. If not, they recover it out the bottom somewhere? Usually the Op either climbs he entire height of the crane (especially bitchy when the building is below grade). They have to inspect building anchors daily so they will take the skip to the floors the anchors are on to inspect them. I'm not sure if they have to inspect every single pin or not, but yeah, they can go to the top floor and start climbing to the cab.

I've been for a ride on one of these things, where we stood on the very end of the boom in the hook trolley, and the op swung the crane around in a complete 360. It tops any ride I could ever go on, ever.

Originally posted by CokerRat
I always wondered how they disassemble the crane once it's at the top of a 40 storey building? The same way it's put up, just in reverse. They ballast it, raise it, slide the section out, drop the ballast, lower the piece, lower, bla bla bla

MM99lude
10-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks OP, I've been looking for a good vid of this for a while!

syritis
10-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by CUG
The same way it's put up, just in reverse. They ballast it, raise it, slide the section out, drop the ballast, lower the piece, lower, bla bla bla

How is it supposed to lower itself back to ground level? there should be a building in the way by this time.
I'd imagine if there were 2 cranes one would disassemble the other and pull it from the elevator shaft. but then that crane still remains. I doubt a helicopter could lift the entire boom off the column, especially with the counterweights on it.