PDA

View Full Version : Fatal crash on Glenmore...

core_upt
10-01-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.660news.com/more.jsp?content=20091001_162952_6112

A crash involving a semi-trailer and car has closed down Glenmore Trail between 52 St. and 84 St. S.E. Police tell 660News the semi was eastbound on Glenmore Trail, and the Honda was westbound. It appears the car suddenly swerved and slammed head-on into the truck, sending both vehicles off the road onto the south side of Glenmore Trail. The two men in the semi suffered minor injuries, but were not hospitalized. However the driver of the Honda, a man in his early twenties, was dead on scene. The accident occurred over the noon hour Thursday. Police are continuing to investigate the accident. The identity of the victim has not yet been released.

Nesbitt403
10-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Crazy... I wonder what made him swerve.

R.I.P.

freshprince1
10-01-2009, 03:54 PM
That sucks.

the driver of the Honda, a man in his early twenties, was dead on scene.

That's a Beyond.ca demographic
:(

inline6turbo
10-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I saw this.

:( RIP

tarrantas
10-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Wow that civic is more like a half a civic..or a third. RIP

2Valve0
10-01-2009, 04:08 PM
rip

JAYMEZ
10-01-2009, 04:22 PM
RIP

Gabe182
10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
RIP

GQBalla
10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
RIP

7thgenvic
10-01-2009, 04:57 PM
RIP

kevie88
10-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Suicide?

89s1
10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Could have been mechanical failure as well.

RIP.

Type_B
10-01-2009, 05:51 PM
i actually saw him the other day crusing on mcknight and exit off deerfoot he actually pulls his car hard but i passed him:D anyways

R.I.P

03ozwhip
10-01-2009, 06:01 PM
talking on the phone/texting???

persiancarpet
10-01-2009, 06:07 PM
"Aqua" colored Civic hatch. Rims and a larger exhaust.

RIP

TC06
10-01-2009, 06:41 PM
RIP

Condolences to the family :(

FiveFreshFish
10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by persiancarpet
"Aqua" colored Civic hatch. Rims and a larger exhaust.

RIP

http://secalgarynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/CIVI-575.jpg

inline6turbo
10-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Does anyone have a clue who it is yet? I've had a terribly sick feeling in my gut all day about this....

R154
10-01-2009, 07:54 PM
That looks like my buddies car. I havent heard anything yet. He is also in his mid twenties.

dimi
10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I saw this on the news but they only said 2 men of the truck were uninjured.

RIP

jdmXSI
10-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Saw this on the news just alittle while ago... I have a bad feeling of this as well, I sure hope it's no on here... But condolences to the family, RIP.

That would be such an awful feeling to see your sons car all smashed up on the news, probably one of the worst ways to find out!

top_speed
10-01-2009, 08:24 PM
could this be the same one?
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=158846952&ImageIndex=1

Kona9
10-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
could this be the same one?
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=158846952&ImageIndex=1

I would think not.

94boosted
10-01-2009, 09:00 PM
RIP

Condolences to the family.

Russo
10-02-2009, 09:19 AM
RIP

bourge73
10-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I dont know that looks damn close, scary RIP 21 yr old man just terrible to hear.

Nissan_Fanboy
10-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Type_B
i actually saw him the other day crusing on mcknight and exit off deerfoot he actually pulls his car hard but i passed him:D anyways

R.I.P

R.I.P
could have been you.
:(

JfuckinC
10-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm fairly positive he was from the chestermere area. My friend that was serving me last night at a restaurant said she was called in because the girl that was supposed to work was his girlfriend :(

RIP

GOnSHO
10-02-2009, 10:22 AM
RIP

condolences to all family and friends for there loss

R154
10-02-2009, 10:24 AM
have they released his name??

atgilchrist
10-02-2009, 10:28 AM
RIP

zipdoa
10-02-2009, 10:28 AM
"in a fast german car, i'm amazed that i survived, an airbag saved my life"

inspiration to always pay 110% attention while you drive

8__vHs3xcR4

unfortunately society has kind of accepted that collisions are a part of life. i think that every collision is preventable. always know what is going on in and around your car. driving is the most dangerous thing we do on any given day.

RIP

tarrantas
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

unfortunately society has kind of accepted that collisions are a part of life. i think that every collision is preventable. always know what is going on in and around your car. driving is the most dangerous thing we do on any given day.

+1 for this, couldn't have said it better. Too bad not everyone thinks along these lines :thumbsup:

luxor
10-02-2009, 03:47 PM

unfortunately society has kind of accepted that collisions are a part of life. i think that every collision is preventable.

always know what is going on in and around your car. driving is the most dangerous thing we do on any given day.

RIP

Although I agree driving is dangerous, in fact more dangerous than some might think or like to have in the back of their mind.

What I don't agree with is that "every collision is preventable." You can think that all you want to make yourself feel better but that statement is not true. Case being on a undivided highway, around a blind corner, someone is driving on your side of the lane (illegally) and you don't see this vehicle until it is 2 meters in front of you (as you turn the corner). With the given highway speed that both of you are traveling, a head on collision is going to happen. Even if you had the fastest reaction in the world, you cannot stop or shift your car away to prevent that accident in time. That is just how the mechanics of things are and you cannot change that, therefore NOT all collisions are preventable.

Another example is say someone clipped you back bumper while they were changing lanes, the roads are icy and you get sent flying over the median and you are sliding straight into a gravel truck going the other way. You really think you could have seen something like that coming?

There are a ton of situations where collisions are just not in your control, fortunately though these don't occur that often (thankfully).

Statistics show that you are way more likely to get killed in a car accident than getting killed on a plane crash. So don't for a second think that just because you can prevent a few fender benders on a daily basis means all collisions are preventable. If it was then there wouldn't be any "accidents" on our roads. No one want to accept car accidents as a part of life, I know I don't, but we just have to like many other things.

cr-xbrian
10-02-2009, 03:58 PM
rip

hippak
10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by luxor

What I don't agree with is that "every collision is preventable." You can think that all you want to make yourself feel better but that statement is not true. Case being on a undivided highway, around a blind corner, someone is driving on your side of the lane (illegally) and you don't see this vehicle until it is 2 meters in front of you (as you turn the corner). With the given highway speed that both of you are traveling, a head on collision is going to happen. Even if you had the fastest reaction in the world, you cannot stop or shift your car away to prevent that accident in time. That is just how the mechanics of things are and you cannot change that, therefore NOT all collisions are preventable.

Another example is say someone clipped you back bumper while they were changing lanes, the roads are icy and you get sent flying over the median and you are sliding straight into a gravel truck going the other way. You really think you could have seen something like that coming?

There are a ton of situations where collisions are just not in your control, fortunately though these don't occur that often (thankfully).

Statistics show that you are way more likely to get killed in a car accident than getting killed on a plane crash. So don't for a second think that just because you can prevent a few fender benders on a daily basis means all collisions are preventable. If it was then there wouldn't be any "accidents" on our roads. No one want to accept car accidents as a part of life, I know I don't, but we just have to like many other things.

He didnt mean preventable as in the collision is taking place and avoiding it.

For your two examples:

-if the individual wasn't driving in the wrong lane "illegally" then there would not have been an accident... I.E PREVENTABLE

-if the individual wasn't careless and didnt clip the bumper nothing would have happened... I.E PREVENTABLE

I don't believe that anyone is stupid enough to think that they have absolute control in a situation with absolutely no control. What he's trying to say is that what we can do is take care so that we don't get into situations with no control and in that respect I do agree that all these types of incidents are preventable. I refuse to subscribe to the "freak accident" mentality and live in ignorance.

Drive safe everyone.

RIP.

btw,

I know an emergency ER Physician who has traveled all over the world speaking to the largest companies in the world with regards to safety and accident prevention. He is named to the top 100 physicians of the century in Canada.

With your permission I'd like to submit this quote to him to use as part of his presentation. (not kidding, I would really like to, perfect example of an extremely dangerous way of thinking).

You Should NEVER accept accidents as part of life.

-Do you really want a cop to think that way? People are going to drink and drive and kill people, its a part of life, so i'm not going to bother.
-Do you want a researcher to think that way? We're never going to cure cancer, its a part of life.
-Do you want an engineer to think that way? Bridges will eventually fail, so I'm not going to put in the correct factor of safety.
etc... etc....

zipdoa
10-02-2009, 10:03 PM

pretty naive point of view.

100% are preventable, because 100% are caused by human error.

we build the machines, we drive them, we crash them.

it doesn't matter what the conditions, we are responsible for what the vehicle is doing.

after a while people tend to experience the 'illusion of safety', and it makes them careless - it's amazing what velocity can do when human beings are in season!

inline6turbo
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
^ and ^^ very true. Although 100% is a little high, unless you're discounting anything that nature had a hand in, ie: deer birds tornadoes floods etc haha

I was driving beside a cow transport truck on deerfoot once. While going over the calf robe bridge a cow friggin peed all over my window!! Couldn't see a thing. Very dangerous. And smelly.

luxor
10-03-2009, 02:20 PM

pretty naive point of view.

100% are preventable, because 100% are caused by human error.

we build the machines, we drive them, we crash them.

it doesn't matter what the conditions, we are responsible for what the vehicle is doing.

100% cause by human error? Okay buddy!

When a tire blows out from you car and you lose control and crash, that's human error and was 100% preventable right?

What if your car had mechanical failures, for example to a steering component and you lose control and crash. Even though you kept up with your scheduled maintenance would that still be your own fault cause it was "100%" human error? I'd like see you to go to your insurance and tell them not cover for your damages cause you took full responsibility for the crash-since you are such a stand up guy.

What about medical reason like seizures. I can't count with all my fingers how many times accidents occur due to medical reasons in the past few years. We all know medical conditions like seizures are 100% preventable and if it happens it is 100% the person's fault right?

Hey that's just my opinion though. I don't believe all collisions are 100% preventable and they certainly aren't 100% caused by human error. I do believe in defensive driving and doing all possible to prevent other vehicles from hitting me. The reason why I drive defensively is because I know that there is a chance that an accident can occur beyond anyone's control. But what do I know, you're the superman here that can manipulate all odds in your favor, even against mother nature. And I'm the naive one right? Get a clue.

:rolleyes:

garyb
10-03-2009, 02:31 PM
yikes seen this guy cruisin around alot in the sw. never seemed to be driving like a loser or anything... RIP so sad.

WCSilvia
10-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Condolences to the fam....RIP

FiveFreshFish
10-03-2009, 02:42 PM
No name has been released yet.

PremiumRSX
10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Yikes.. that Civic never stood a chance.

RIP

kevie88
10-04-2009, 12:33 AM

100% cause by human error? Okay buddy!

When a tire blows out from you car and you lose control and crash, that's human error and was 100% preventable right?

If your tires are in good condition and inflated properly this will not happen. If one or more of my tires reach the wearbar I will replace them. Blowouts do not magically happen in this day and age.

What if your car had mechanical failures, for example to a steering component and you lose control and crash. Even though you kept up with your scheduled maintenance would that still be your own fault cause it was "100%" human error? I'd like see you to go to your insurance and tell them not cover for your damages cause you took full responsibility for the crash-since you are such a stand up guy.

If you keep up with scheduled maintenance this will not happen.

What about medical reason like seizures. I can't count with all my fingers how many times accidents occur due to medical reasons in the past few years. We all know medical conditions like seizures are 100% preventable and if it happens it is 100% the person's fault right?

A person who suffers major siezures will have his or her licence revoked. in the case of someone slipping thru the cracks, if you have good siuational awareness you will be able to see this situation unfolding.

Hey that's just my opinion though. I don't believe all collisions are 100% preventable and they certainly aren't 100% caused by human error. I do believe in defensive driving and doing all possible to prevent other vehicles from hitting me. The reason why I drive defensively is because I know that there is a chance that an accident can occur beyond anyone's control.

This is the key to never having an accident. Drive defensively. Be aware that everyone could crash at any time.. leave holes when collisions are preventable. look left, center, and right when approaching an intersection. Leave room between you and the people around you. When stopped at a light, leave room between the car in front and yourself in case someone behind you doesn't stop in time.

In 20 years of driving I have never had an 'accident'.

blink1
10-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
In 20 years of driving I have never had an 'accident'.

Someone give this man a cookie!!

kevie88
10-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by blink1

Someone give this man a cookie!!

I like chocolate chip! :)

bjstare
10-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Although I agree driving is dangerous, in fact more dangerous than some might think or like to have in the back of their mind.

:facepalm:

ShermanEF9
10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
The way i see it is if you're confident in your driving... its not you that you should be worried about.... its the other drivers around you.

Mibz
10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
The way i see it is if you're confident in your driving... its not you that you should be worried about.... its the other drivers around you. I was behind a white Grand Prix last night who was spent half his time over the white lines, varied speed from 10 under to 30 over and was on his cell phone for as long as I could see.

Pretty sure he's confident in his driving but I'll be fucked if I think he's not causing an accident soon.

MM99lude
10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Saw this too. Sad.

RIP

core_upt
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM

If your tires are in good condition and inflated properly this will not happen. If one or more of my tires reach the wearbar I will replace them. Blowouts do not magically happen in this day and age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

A person who suffers major siezures will have his or her licence revoked. in the case of someone slipping thru the cracks, if you have good siuational awareness you will be able to see this situation unfolding.

There is a first time for everything - I'm sure there have been people who suffered their first seizure while driving, despite a spotless health record previous.

I totally agree that 99.9999% of accidents are preventable, there is a very small few which cannot be avoided.

Willis
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Check the date your tire was manufactured. (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11) Even tires with low KMs can dry up and become susceptible to a blow out.

Go4Long
10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
^ and ^^ very true. Although 100% is a little high, unless you're discounting anything that nature had a hand in, ie: deer birds tornadoes floods etc haha

I was driving beside a cow transport truck on deerfoot once. While going over the calf robe bridge a cow friggin peed all over my window!! Couldn't see a thing. Very dangerous. And smelly.

In our training for the driving Job with the olympic torch relay we had a guy come in from a safety consulting firm, while not quite 100% they said that around 98% of all crashes are caused by human error.

That includes hitting deer, and driving in a tornado or a flood. It's a simple fact really, if you're driving through an area where there could be deer in the middle of the night you should be adjusting your speed accordingly. If it's raining heavily you should be aware of your surroundings. etc.

Mechanical failure is the only factor that's not human related. And even then the collision is often caused not by the mechanical failure, but by the human reaction to the failure.

For example, in your story, it was pretty obvious you were passing a cattle truck. And given that the side of the truck was probably caked in various forms of animal waste then it's safe to say that you would be aware that such a thing could happen right? And in your case I would assume that when it happened you didn't panic and go swerving across three lanes of traffic right? It's all the human aspect of how you handle unexpected situations.

almerick
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
RIP :(

FiveFreshFish
10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

That includes hitting deer, and driving in a tornado or a flood. It's a simple fact really, if you're driving through an area where there could be deer in the middle of the night you should be adjusting your speed accordingly.

I can state that it's not possible in all situation to avoid animals.

I was slowing down approaching my driveway when two deer bolted across the street from between two houses. One glanced off the front bumper and the other went by untouched. By the time I stopped to see if it was injured, they both took off in the direction they originally headed. I was going less than 40 km/h at impact. Absolutely nothing I could have done to avoid the collision.

Go4Long
10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
That may be an exception. But there aren't many.

5000Audi
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

That includes hitting deer, and driving in a tornado or a flood. It's a simple fact really, if you're driving through an area where there could be deer in the middle of the night you should be adjusting your speed accordingly. If it's raining heavily you should be aware of your surroundings. etc.

i would like to argue this point... There is not much human error when i comes to hitting animals.. I know because ive hit a few of them in my years of driving..

1) heading from bragg creek going 75-80 kms. deer ran out from somewhere and i only seem it once it was on my front bumper.. Wrote off that truck..

2) mountain driving from vancouver.. going 90 kms. ( during the day) and a deer came steaming out of the bush and i nailed the brakes but still creamed him... another car wrote off

3) back road between 17th and glenmore SE, going 60 kms since it was mucky on the road.. deer jumped out of a hidden driveway.. he actually jumped into the door of my work truck..

So each time iver hit a deer there was no human error involved..

id say possibly 70-80% of accidents are human faults..

Oh yeah also ive had a front tire blow out on a work truck.. tire was less then 2 weeks old. correct psi as we have to check them for the pre trip inspection... And with that tire blow out i went straight into the ditch.. again no human error.. Your facts are more like fiction.. not close to real numbers...

Go4Long
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
That's your opinion. The guy speaking had 30 years of experience in collision reconstruction. So no offense, but he had a lot more experience than you.

As for your blowout, the tire blowing out didn't cause you to crash. You not compensating for the fact your tire blew out properly did. Sorry if that offends you, but its the truth. When things happen people panic. When you panic you are no longer in control and its simply a question of physics and luck that decides if you crash.

R154
10-05-2009, 05:24 PM
has a name been released?

2BLUE
10-05-2009, 05:33 PM
You can blame it on whatever you want ...If its your time to go then your gone. Its as simple as that. RIP

z2two
10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
You can blame it on whatever you want ...If its your time to go then your gone. Its as simple as that. RIP

and it obviously wasn't his time. Don't be a douche.

Criticull
10-07-2009, 10:06 AM
RIP, scary shit.

theken
10-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree with 98% human error. I see probably 5 to 10 accidents a day. So far I haven't seen an animal incident yet. That's maybe 400 accidents in 2 to 3 months. 0 animal. I wouldn't be bold to say 80% cause if there was 1000 accidents on any given day 200 aren't hitting deer or other animals.

Rip to the civic owner anyways. Hopefully it was a mechanical failure and not a cell phone drop or something.
When I opened this thread I was 99% sure there was going to be truck driver bashing going on. I'm happy that's not what's going on

luxor
10-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by theken
I agree with 98% human error. I see probably 5 to 10 accidents a day. So far I haven't seen an animal incident yet. That's maybe 400 accidents in 2 to 3 months. 0 animal. I wouldn't be bold to say 80% cause if there was 1000 accidents on any given day 200 aren't hitting deer or other animals.

5-10 accidents a day? 400 accidents in 2-3 months? Sure there buddy. Do you do lots of highway driving? Animals usually come from highways or sparse parts of the city. Even if you are a trucker (which you probably are), I highly doubt that it's 5-10 separate accidents a day-on any given day. The percentages you see here doesn't count either, Beyond.ca is known for members getting their number coming from either anecdotal evidence or their assholes.

theken
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
tow truck driver