PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Universe

Vagabond142
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Anyone else pumped for it tomorrow? :D Canadian produced, of course. Been looking forward to another "serious" Stargate series since like the 5th season of SG-1

mUlYsnMoAwk

SilverRex
10-01-2009, 06:29 PM
isnt there still stargate atlantis?

but after watching the trailer im pumped too, been waiting for something like this for so long. kinda like wing commander. im all for the carrier and space dog fights.

Vagabond142
10-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Atlantis ended in February.

SilverRex
10-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Atlantis ended in February.

what no season 6? dam. oh well one less series to collect

Vagabond142
10-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Atlantis actually lasted one more season than was originally expected, so I consider 5 seasons a good run. Hopefully Universe does good on the whole, well, universe, because it has the same writing staff as the first few seasons of SG-1 (which were some of the best, in my opinion, before the SGC and allies starting pwning all the baddies everywhere)

BerserkerCatSplat
10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
A return to good Stargate? Count me in!

Vagabond142
10-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Well, the hype is that this series returns more to the character-driven, exploration-centric style of the first few seasons of SG-1, but is also much darker and grittier than SG-1. (Well, the Ori series was a bit dark and nasty) Apparently there are also 3 major deaths in the pilot, so it seems they aren't afraid to make it serious to the point that there are consequences to actions, ie deaths. I am a HUGE fan of the dark and gritty side of BSG when it was on air, so I'm hoping that SGU carries some of that style of "you can die at any moment, so make every moment good."

Vagabond142
10-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, it's only hours away O_O

7 PM tonight on Space.

I'm REALLY hoping that they deliver some power episodes like "The Shrine" from SGA Season 5 (which showed the absolute power of David Hewlett's acting ability, if you watch only one SGA episode ever, watch that one), "Window of Opportunity" from SG-1 Season 4, and "The Torment of Tantalus" (which launched the whole mythos of the 5 races thing throughout SG-1 in a powerful episode) from Season 1 of SG-1.

Here's hoping it rocks.

hampstor
10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
I was originally looking forward to this... the more I find out about SGU (from gateworld) the less I am wanting to watch this series.

Vagabond142
10-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
I was originally looking forward to this... the more I find out about SGU (from gateworld) the less I am wanting to watch this series.

I'm the other way around. The more and more that it's talked about as being different than SG series of old, the more and more I'm interested. I like especially what one reviewer said... that Stargate has been a warm, cozy, familiar blanket for well over a decade and a half now. What SG:U does is rip the blanket off, set it on fire and dangle it in front of you.

I like dark sci-fi, I write it for gods sake. The fact that it's actually gaining a foothold on TV is a very very good thing, and hence why I am hoping that the more serious, dangerous road that SG:U is taking compared to past Stargates leads to some good TV. It may not be warm and fuzzy, it may not even be familiar. But I know that I'll at least give it a fair shot.

EDIT: Also, remember, the pilot episodes of most Stargate series' are usually a little rough... but the series is usually on par and running within a few episodes... so give it a chance :)

Vagabond142
10-02-2009, 07:27 PM
So far so good :D

SilverRex
10-02-2009, 08:20 PM
im excited kinda reminds me of above and beyond

Vagabond142
10-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Doing well so far d(^^ d)

Very dark, and I like the fact there isn't the "omg I fixed it" science that is present in the other two previous series. They couldn't fix the shuttle air breach with science, so they did it the "hard way." I like dark sci-fi :D

Vagabond142
10-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I also like the fact that for once they are using PROPER assault rifles, not P90 SMG's :P G36 ftw :D

DarkDream
10-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Atlantis actually lasted one more season than was originally expected, so I consider 5 seasons a good run. Hopefully Universe does good on the whole, well, universe, because it has the same writing staff as the first few seasons of SG-1 (which were some of the best, in my opinion, before the SGC and allies starting pwning all the baddies everywhere)

I have been hearing they are going to sum up the Atlantis series with a 2 hour movie

Vagabond142
10-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream

I have been hearing they are going to sum up the Atlantis series with a 2 hour movie

Well, if SG-1 is anything to go off of, they'll do one movie, and then do another movie, and then do another XD (SG-1 is filming its third movie)

Zhariak
10-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Well, if SG-1 is anything to go off of, they'll do one movie, and then do another movie, and then do another XD (SG-1 is filming its third movie)

They are doing another movie for SG-1???

Vagabond142
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

They are doing another movie for SG-1???

yep.... the unkillable beast is still unkillable :P Only thing that is known right now is that it's going to have RDA back and Claudia Black isn't in (no Vala/Quetesh :cry: )

Vagabond142
10-09-2009, 09:00 PM
So... interesting episode... and of course, being Stargate, they had to throw in that little twist at the end... what the hell was that thing? A probe, a ship, or something else o_O?

pinoyboy88
10-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Argh just missed it :( , gonna waite for it to come out in ninjavideo tonight, I was so pumped to watch it too I think i've seen all the episodes of both SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis series.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-10-2009, 01:13 AM
I just found time to watch it today, it was very good and I hope they run with it.

Also, I fukken LOL'd when I saw Shooter McGavin. :rofl:

Vagabond142
10-16-2009, 07:48 PM
New ep in 15 mins o_O

Apparently, this episode will deal with the power issues on the Destiny (reminiscent of Atlantis pilot episode, anyone? :P)

Vagabond142
10-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Oshit? Heading for the sun = not good XD

Naked Chloe = :drool: :love: ... too bad it was only from behind and with clever camera work :\

Is it just me, or is there an undertone of a "war of the assholes" in the show between Talford and Rush? As in, which of the two can make the biggest dick out of themselves XD

Also, that shot of the Destiny rounding the planet = defining effects shot of the show so far. Sooooo epic :D

mobius
10-16-2009, 10:00 PM
It's definitely good to get my Stargate Fix again.

Talford just pisses me off, power tripping prick. Who does he think he is, ordering around people who are billions of light years away? :nut:

In a million years I imagine the ship has run out of power before. So it just coasts into the nearest Red Giant, converts the massive amount of heat on the hull into useable energy and goes off on it's merry way again............while scaring the shit out of it's hapless passengers......... awesome!:bigpimp:

Vagabond142
10-23-2009, 07:04 PM
So... one hour from now and questions will be answered, and I'm pretty sure quite a few more will pop up XD

I'm betting that there will be a hugely dramatic episode with lots of close ups, shocked looks, dire circumstances and "zomg moments" and then the ship will fly out from the sun and be on its merry way XD Much like Mobius said last week :P

Vagabond142
10-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Good episode, although it felt a little rushed at the end.

gatorade
10-23-2009, 11:23 PM
haha nice call mobius

mobius
10-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Well look at that :) Now they can actually enjoy their little billion light year holiday.

Vagabond142
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
So, who else thought that that was David Blue's (Eli's) best acted episode yet? The whole part after he wakes up from his dream, the emotions on his face... excellent acting. Also... what the hell is up with Chloe... first she sleeps with Matt, then is all cuddly with Eli, then runs off to greet Matt when he gets back. I sense love triangle drama o_O

So what major element of life support goes down next, you think? They've solved the air problem, they've solved the power problem. They've been making a huge deal about water rationing in the past little while, so I'm guessing that water will run out and Destiny will pull up beside a water planet for them to get more fresh water. Just my thoughts extrapolating from the themes that have been presented over the past few eps

gatorade
10-24-2009, 10:53 PM
I like the show but I can see it getting cancelled because the series is moving a little slowly, I hope fans stay with it because I can see it getting much better as it goes on.

mobius
10-24-2009, 11:14 PM
what the hell is up with Chloe... first she sleeps with Matt, then is all cuddly with Eli, then runs off to greet Matt when he gets back. I sense love triangle drama o_O

Nah, she's just being a woman. Eli just ended up in the friend zone instead of the end zone. Gotta have that love drama.

Can't say that I can make any predictions this week, except that it will probably have to do with finding sustenance, or with that probe/ship that took off previously.

Zhariak
10-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Well I saw a sneak preview on the American "ScyFy" channel that was posted on Youtube for the next episode...

Found here:
oavOFqpWwgk

OMFGZ Teh waterz is no more... So no doubt we'll have an episode where they go onto some snow planet. Turns out the snow is some form of alien life and they can't melt it for water, but then the snow people are like "Ok we give you water"....

Then the next episode will be about food. They goto a food planet, and start eating animals, but wait! The Animals are smart! and are like ok here is some food, just don't eat us....

I think by the episode after that they will run out of survival problems and the show will be cancelled....

I was super stoked about the show before and after seeing 2 episodes... But now it's getting repetitive... And it seems like every episode will be about having some survival problem...

Zhariak
10-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Actually wait, after food, the ships heater might break, and people will have to pull out their snuggles (those weird looking cult things on infomercials) to stay warm...

That's all I can think of, unless the finally decide to make the show more interesting...

foos_guy
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I hope the next episode, they explain right away why they don't gate back to Earth now since the ship is at full power... well, I'm assuming the ship is at full power, no reason to only fill up part of the way...

Zhariak
10-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by foos_guy
I hope the next episode, they explain right away why they don't gate back to Earth now since the ship is at full power... well, I'm assuming the ship is at full power, no reason to only fill up part of the way...

At the end of the last episode, they said the ship did not have full power, it just got back up to 50%...

So I guess heres another episode before it's cancelled... "What can we do to boost the power?"

BerserkerCatSplat
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by foos_guy

Didn't they try gating back once already, and it failed miserably?

Vagabond142
10-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Wow, everyone is so negative about the series. I think it's paced perfectly... hell, it took BattleStar four entire SEASONS to explain what was up with Starbuck. This show is ripping along at a greyhound's pace. Just because it's not an action oriented StarGate series (yet) does not mean that it isn't a good show.

It was stated from the outset that the creators wanted this to be a more cerebral, psychological, dark and human StarGate versus the "adventure of the day" style of Atlantis and the latter bit of SG-1. So far, I think they are excelling in that goal.

Vagabond142
10-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Didn't they try gating back once already, and it failed miserably?

Young tried and Rush shouted him down on it. Paying attention to the pilot episode, remember it takes a 9-symbol address to return to Earth, as well as it took an entire PLANET of energy to dial the Destiny in the first place.

goat_killer
10-27-2009, 12:49 PM
A lot better then i expected.

I liked the original series but hated atlantis.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Young tried and Rush shouted him down on it. Paying attention to the pilot episode, remember it takes a 9-symbol address to return to Earth, as well as it took an entire PLANET of energy to dial the Destiny in the first place.

Fair enough, I thought that Rush tried to shout him down but they went through with it anyway.

I'm quite liking the show so far, minus some of the more boring drama. Also, I'm not sure when the BSG shaky-zoomy-cam-for-exterior-spaceship-shots thing became vogue, but it's annoying.

Vagabond142
10-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Well, most of the standstill shots were stable... but I kinda expect shaky camera for a shuttle or the Destiny rounding a planet, or any kind of high speed motion. I actually thought both parts of Darkness/Light had camera externals pretty similar to Atlantis.

Vagabond142
10-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Did I not call a water episode? Did I not? XD hehe

The alien bugs were an interesting sideshow... so, now that they have the water partially fixed, lost a crewmember, and are back in FTL... there were no allusions this time to the next episode and what's in it, so it may actually be genuinely surprising o_O

From the three scientists bugging Young at the end before he gives the pronunciation of death, I am willing to put my money on it being either a story about shipboard life for Young, or something to do with the communication stones to Earth ("I was scheduled to use the stones!" as one scientist said near the end there)

Vagabond142
11-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Best episode of the season right there. Awesome episode.