PDA

View Full Version : Racing harness belts question...

Davan
11-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Just wondering how these install into a car...

http://www.wickedbodiesetc.com/Cor-acc/belt-red.jpg

Can anyone explain? To me it looks like the top buckle can belt into the rear seat belts? And then the two bolts on the side have to be bolted into the floor? Yes, no, maybe?

If anyone can explain how these are installed that would be awesome! Thanks!

littledan
11-13-2003, 11:53 AM
i thought they are designed to connect to a roll cage?? not sure.

ls/vtec-crx
11-13-2003, 11:59 AM
The two side ones are supposed to be drilled into the floor but i bolt them in with the existing seatbelt. And the third point would go in between to where the rear seats meet in the back. You can bolt it to an existing bolt in the back but if it's not straight with your seat then you will have to drill a hole through the floor.

Davan
11-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Ok. I understand the rear... I think... but the sides... there are two of them, how do you connect them to the existing belt? Use the passenger side as well?

buh_buh
11-13-2003, 12:18 PM
I just used the stock mounting points on the side, then the babyseat clip in the rear.
There should still be one on each side.

Davan
11-13-2003, 12:23 PM
I might have to check yours out, Kevin. I understand using the rear stock clip. And the right side can use the stock clip. But I'm still not sure of the left side (relative to when you're sitting in the car).

buh_buh
11-13-2003, 12:27 PM
haha you won't be able to check it out until April
But even a stock seatbelt is a 3 point.
I can show you on your car.

Davan
11-13-2003, 12:32 PM
I think I'm just a retard today.... I understand now. duh. Thanks for all the help everyone! :)

bigboom
11-13-2003, 12:36 PM
i connected my back one to the seatbelt bolt under the rear seat but the baby clip bolt sounds like it might be better.

rc2002
11-13-2003, 12:57 PM
I wonder if these are more reliable or less reliable than stock seatbelts. They would take longer to get out of, and if not installed properly they might not give you enough restraint.

4wheeldrift
11-13-2003, 01:01 PM
The baby clip is only better if its reinforced. If its like the ones in my subie, its just a plastic spread anchor through a drilled hole in the parcel shelf. I definetly wouldn't stake my life on that taking all the force of me hitting the harness hard in an accident. I've got an H harness, and I went back to the stock seatbelt mounting points in the back, and the stock points on the sides. Depending on how your car, the point on the inside (against the console) could be on the seat or it could be in the floor. Either way, if you want to keep the stock 3 points and have the harness as well, its easy to slip the eyelets for the harness behind the stock belts and have the ability to use both. Just make sure you have enough engagement length on the bolts and you'll be fine.

Davan
11-13-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't beleive I have a baby clip in my new car. Would it be okay to go down at a 45 degree angle to the clips in the rear seat?

4wheeldrift
11-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Davan
I don't beleive I have a baby clip in my new car. Would it be okay to go down at a 45 degree angle to the clips in the rear seat? 45 degrees is the ABSOLUTE maximum, do not go any steeper than that, or you risk a compressed spine in an accident.

Davan
11-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Whoa. Good to know. I was just estimating... I'll have to measure to see what it actually is. Thanks for the info! :)

4wheeldrift
11-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Davan
Whoa. Good to know. I was just estimating... I'll have to measure to see what it actually is. Thanks for the info! :) On my car, running to the rear seat anchors it works out to about 35 degrees or so. Most 2 doors of similar dimensions should probably have a similar angle. A little over isn't too bad, just be aware of the possibility. When you get into an accident, if the harness is anchored to the floor or at a steep angle it won't be able to stretch the way it should to absorb the energy and you'll end up with a messed up back.

maximus
11-13-2003, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't go with the baby seat anchor either. The rear is simply the seat belt mounting for the rear OEM seatbelts. For the fronts what I did was mount the left side to the bottom where the OEM belt mounts. Should be a big bolt going to the chasis. If the end of the harness is a clip style then you should have received a loop style bolt that screw into that spot and the harness simply clips onto the loop. For the other side just mount it where the buckle mounts to on the seat frame. Worked for me following Sabelts instructions!!

rx7_turbo2
11-13-2003, 05:11 PM
Is this going into a track car, or drag car, with a roll cage? If not it's pretty cheesy.

link785
11-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Is this going into a track car, or drag car, with a roll cage? If not it's pretty cheesy.

Yeah, but, look at who you're talking to :rolleyes:

rx7_turbo2
11-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by link785

Yeah, but, look at who you're talking to :rolleyes: :dunno:

Was that comment in support? I was not sure how to take it. I don't understand that type of stuff. Believe me I have some cheesy little touches on my car too, but an all out racing harness in a street car with no cage is way over the top.

maximus
11-13-2003, 08:47 PM
:dunno:

Was that comment in support? I was not sure how to take it. I don't understand that type of stuff. Believe me I have some cheesy little touches on my car too, but an all out racing harness in a street car with no cage is way over the top.

What if you have sport seats??

4wheeldrift
11-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by maximus

What if you have sport seats?? Unless you have one of the DOT approved Schroth harnesses, they really aren't all that safe on the streets, unless you have a full cage in the car. The harness won't let one of your shoulders roll forward in a roll over, leaving your head above the highest level of the seat and guaranteeing that if car lands on its roof your spine is going to be holding up the entire weight of the car. Most racing seats aren't any better, the Evo 2 in my car is probably a good 10cm shorter than the factory seat was.

rx7_turbo2
11-13-2003, 09:08 PM

What if you have sport seats??

What's the defenition of sport seats? Can you not use the stock seatbelt with "sport" seats.

I understand upgraing seats in some cases. The stock seats in my car fit well now, after loosing some weight;) They have good side support. But at one time I considered new seats that had a better fit. If your car did NOT come with a "performance" seat you should ask yourself why, and maybe put some gear into it that will then dictate the need for a better seat.

maximus
11-13-2003, 09:31 PM

What's the defenition of sport seats? Can you not use the stock seatbelt with "sport" seats.

I understand upgraing seats in some cases. The stock seats in my car fit well now, after loosing some weight;) They have good side support. But at one time I considered new seats that had a better fit. If your car did NOT come with a "performance" seat you should ask yourself why, and maybe put some gear into it that will then dictate the need for a better seat.

I'm talking Sparco Torinos. They are higher on the back than my factory Recaros. It just dosn't feel the same with the stock belts. With the stock belts, the way they wrap around the Torino the belt is actually loose. The harness feels soooo much better!!

And I don't think my car will ever flip over with it being soo low. :tongue:

rx7_turbo2
11-13-2003, 09:48 PM

I'm talking Sparco Torinos. They are higher on the back than my factory Recaros. It just dosn't feel the same with the stock belts. With the stock belts, the way they wrap around the Torino the belt is actually loose. The harness feels soooo much better!!

And I don't think my car will ever flip over with it being soo low. :tongue:

I see you have a 91 16v, I have one as well I use for my winter beater. The factory Recaro's are great, how come you went with another set?

maximus
11-13-2003, 09:57 PM
I needed a change. Too many lowered black 16v w/recaros in Calgary. The Recaros are really sweet though. Mine are still mint in my room. Torinos are the cats though! They probably go with the whole look of the car more so than the recaros.

Wait a second....winter beater???? How dare you! It better be rusty. :tongue:

LOL j/k, I'm using mine for winter even though I shouldn't. You of all people should know that a 16v could use better restraints!

rx7_turbo2
11-13-2003, 10:04 PM
I needed a change. Too many lowered black 16v w/recaros in Calgary. The Recaros are really sweet though. Mine are still mint in my room. Torinos are the cats though! They probably go with the whole look of the car more so than the recaros.

Wait a second....winter beater???? How dare you! It better be rusty. :tongue:

LOL j/k, I'm using mine for winter even though I shouldn't. You of all people should know that a 16v could use better restraints!

Mines black too:D

It's good at what it does, it gets me from point A to point B, it's not very fast though, zippy but not fast by any stretch. I won't put any mods on it, just don't see getting enough out of it, that's what the other car is for.

Oh and it's actually pretty good in the rust department, some minor by the button for the rear hatch, other than that it's clean.

maximus
11-13-2003, 10:26 PM

Mines black too:D

It's good at what it does, it gets me from point A to point B, it's not very fast though, zippy but not fast by any stretch. I won't put any mods on it, just don't see getting enough out of it, that's what the other car is for.

Oh and it's actually pretty good in the rust department, some minor by the button for the rear hatch, other than that it's clean.

Are you sure its a 16v?:D

Seriously though, they arn't sports cars pumping out 300HP. Its only a 4cyl. They are real quick though compared to a lot of cars out there. I mean it can beat a 180HP Cavalier. :rolleyes:

It really pulls put its mostly top end between 4500-7000 rpm. Lotsa torque and light. Great combo!

But they are picky. Timing a hair off or sensors bad and it feels like a different car. But then again your used to sports cars so it probably feels like a slug!

rx7_turbo2
11-13-2003, 10:41 PM

Are you sure its a 16v?:D

Seriously though, they arn't sports cars pumping out 300HP. Its only a 4cyl. They are real quick though compared to a lot of cars out there. I mean it can beat a 180HP Cavalier. :rolleyes:

It really pulls put its mostly top end between 4500-7000 rpm. Lotsa torque and light. Great combo!

But they are picky. Timing a hair off or sensors bad and it feels like a different car. But then again your used to sports cars so it probably feels like a slug!

Ya don't get me wrong it's quick lets say, and it's fun as hell, short wheel base and light. It just doesnt have that whack into the seat I look for from a sports car. And it's front wheel drive which really blows, but it is a good car, I was fairly impressed. People in civics and stuff do seem to want to race it alot though, I never go with them, I don't see the point, that's not what it's for.

maximus
11-13-2003, 10:50 PM

Ya don't get me wrong it's quick lets say, and it's fun as hell, short wheel base and light. It just doesnt have that whack into the seat I look for from a sports car. And it's front wheel drive which really blows, but it is a good car, I was fairly impressed. People in civics and stuff do seem to want to race it alot though, I never go with them, I don't see the point, that's not what it's for.

True, but its good to know that if you had to you could!! I don't really get many cars wanting to race because they think its just a golf. I have suprised a lot of people out there though.

I wouldn't classify it as sports car though. Sporty maybe but definately not sports. I'm contemplating dropping some cash in the engine next summer. Can potentailly put out 180hp-190hp naturally aspirated. We'll see......

rx7_turbo2
11-13-2003, 10:57 PM

True, but its good to know that if you had to you could!!

But why? So I can tell everyone I beat a civic or a cavalier? There civic's and cavaliers, not much of a kill.

But your right with some money I think you could make some power with this motor. I am a boost junkie though so if I was to do anything it would involve a turbo:D

maximus
11-13-2003, 11:07 PM
You beat the driver not the car. Next time that guy will think twice about racing and he won't think his car is the shiznit! But I don't believe in street racing. However I have been known to drive agressively from time to time.

Anyway back to the harness. Davan did you get it on ok?

Davan
11-14-2003, 09:43 AM
I didn't buy any... yet... just considering options and learning and such. Thanks for the info everyone! :)