PDA

View Full Version : The Club

Jim Rome99
10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I've heard "The Club" is a good way of making sure your vehicle doesn't get stolen. I've also heard about a device that you can stick on the bottom of the clutch pedal to ensure thieves can't put the car into gear when they try to steal it. Does anyone here have anything they can tell me about these devices? Worth the money?

spike98
10-02-2009, 09:06 AM
A cordless sawsall would defeat either of those devices. They do act as a deterant making the theif want to move on to the next one but if they are set on stealing your ride then its easy for them to cut your stearing wheel and slip off the device.

Keys to getting your car not ripped off would be:

- No stickers advertising mods or stereo gear
- Decent alarm with back up battery alarm and a visiable armed LED. A starter cut and or fuel cut is ideal
- Park in well lit areas
- When close to home, turn down that attention grabbing stereo
- Make sure the stereo gear is very secure and out of sight. Same goes with other valuables.

If your car looks like they have nothing to gain from breaking the window they will move onto the next. I dont even leave visable change or a pack of smokes in my car. They will smash your shit for even $20 worth of merch.

beyond_ban
10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I know it sounds stupid, but the biggest key is to lock your cars doors.

Jim Rome99
10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by spike98
A cordless sawsall would defeat either of those devices. They do act as a deterant making the theif want to move on to the next one but if they are set on stealing your ride then its easy for them to cut your stearing wheel and slip off the device.

Keys to getting your car not ripped off would be:

- No stickers advertising mods or stereo gear
- Decent alarm with back up battery alarm and a visiable armed LED. A starter cut and or fuel cut is ideal
- Park in well lit areas
- When close to home, turn down that attention grabbing stereo
- Make sure the stereo gear is very secure and out of sight. Same goes with other valuables.

If your car looks like they have nothing to gain from breaking the window they will move onto the next. I dont even leave visable change or a pack of smokes in my car. They will smash your shit for even $20 worth of merch.

Yeah, I never leave anything in sight either. I've never driven a car worth stealing before now, I'm not so worried about them breaking into my car as I am them stealing the whole thing altogether. How much does one of these "decent alarm with backup battery" things cost?

spike98
10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99

Yeah, I never leave anything in sight either. I've never driven a car worth stealing before now, I'm not so worried about them breaking into my car as I am them stealing the whole thing altogether. How much does one of these "decent alarm with backup battery" things cost?

You should be able to get a nice viper or compustar alarm/starter installed for about $550 maybe a bit more with the back up batt siren.

Jim Rome99
10-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks, I'll look into it.

R154
10-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Inline fuelpump kill switch. No fuel = no movement.

The more you mod your car (visable mods) the more likely a theif will find it worth it to break into. Where there is smoke... If you have rims, good chance you have an aftermarket deck/amp/subs.

This may sound stupid, but almost everybody has a deck with a detachable faceplate, but how many people actually remove the face plate? No one. another preventative mesure. Make your car unappealing to theives and it will not get rolled on.

Jim Rome99
10-02-2009, 09:40 AM
"Inline fuelpump kill switch. No fuel = no movement."

How reliable are these things? How much do they cost? Is there a way for a thief to get around this?

badatusrnames
10-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
"Inline fuelpump kill switch. No fuel = no movement."

How reliable are these things? How much do they cost? Is there a way for a thief to get around this?

As reliable as your wiring job is. It's just a simple on/off switch.

For them to get around it, they'd have to find it. The key is hiding the switch well enough. Otherwise, they'd have to start pulling at wires to get at and around it.

nobb
10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
No one device is going to stop a theif, but anything you add on that lowers the probability of the car getting stolen...why not? I think the club is a great visual detterent. Kill switches would prevent the car from being driven off, but the thief might break your window before they figure out you have a kill switch.

There was also a company that made electrified clubs, too bad it's illegal and I cant find anywhere to buy it.

Masked Bandit
10-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Best anti-theft device is a garage.

scat19
10-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Car insurance. It's what is there for. If someone is going to steal your car, they're gonna steal it.

Mibz
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by R154
This may sound stupid, but almost everybody has a deck with a detachable faceplate, but how many people actually remove the face plate? No one. One. I take off my radar detector and my faceplate whenever I park somewhere exposed. Seems like common sense to me.

Jim Rome99
10-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I came across this nugget on wikipedia:

"In Canada, immobilisers are required in all cars assembled on or after September 1, 2007."

My car is a 2009 so it must already have one in it, right?

Kloubek
10-02-2009, 02:22 PM
My buddy had his car broken into, and they stold about $3.00 worth of pennies he had in his open ashtray. What a waste of a window...

The Club is effective. As is every other anti-theft device. But the bottom line is if a resourceful thief wants to get your car, he will. It all just lessens the risk.

Kardon
10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I'd say a detachable wheel could help if you're cool with that style.

shizzay
10-02-2009, 03:57 PM
removable steering wheel. :)

Weapon_R
10-02-2009, 04:01 PM
The only anti-theft measure worth having is a fuel cutoff switch. Costs next to nothing and is more effective than 10 clubs.

Cooked Rice
10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
club is good for visual deterrent. thieves usually will go for something easier and less of a hassle if they see a club, alarm LED, etc... But yes, a kill switch is probably your best bet. Many alarms have a feature that cuts power to a selectable 12v device. Hook into a vital relay like fuel pump, starter etc...

Sentry
10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
An alternative to the fuel cutoff is putting a switch on the clutch interlock. With a fuel cutoff it's immediately obvious why the engine is cranking but not starting. With a switch on the clutch interlock the engine won't crank at all. The first place he'd go looking is starter relay, barking up the wrong tree. It's probably the best type kill switch you can have on an MTX car.

Another kill switch you can do is the ground wire on the main relay.

ShermanEF9
10-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Thieves will normally leave the cars with any visual deterrent. ive heard fake alarm LEDs even work well, and they are cheap.

Fuel pump cut off is a good back up, but it wont save your windows.

as for locking your doors.... best bet by far.

g-m
10-04-2009, 02:38 PM
my alarm automatically locks my doors after 30 seconds just in case I forget.

And as stated already, clutch interlock and fuel cutout are the best bets.