PDA

View Full Version : Egg drop project! NEED HELP! PLEASEEEEE! (Physics)

Zephyr
11-13-2003, 01:11 PM
so yea i have a project to make an egg drop structure out of unlimited amount of drinking straws that can only be attached by tape and at 45 and 90 degree angles. Anyone know a good site with different blue prints for a structure that can fall 1-2 stories and not break an egg that will be held inside the structure? has anyone done a simliar project, if so can you share what you did? the smaller the structure and lighter gives me more points. i need help i suck in physics !!!!

Fosgate R
11-13-2003, 02:10 PM
So all you can use in your structure is straws and tape? And it has to be dropped 1-2 stories without breaking? wow....

SinisterProbeGt
11-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Hope this helps

http://www.niemworks.com/else/eggdrop.html

try this.....

Phase 1: The Design

When you are designing this apparatus, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. First of all, this device must be protective. The raw egg inside must not even crack at the first drop. This is much harder to accomplish than one would think. Second of all, it has to be strong enough to withstand the weight of the physics teacher.

I designed my apparatus as something that I felt would be protective as well as strong. I took a soup can and hammered the bottom down about a half an inch so it would fit into the 4"x4" box. Then, I wrapped the can with egg crate foam and put it in the box. Finally, I put peanut butter in the can and put the egg inside, covered in saran wrap so I could take the egg out to inspect in between drops.

Phase Two: Testing

Request practice runs at the drop site before the actual project due date to make sure that your apparatus will withstand these tests. Also, test standing on the object with your own weight to determine if it might withstand the heavy weight of your physics teacher. The project takes much trial and error and it is highly doubtful that you will succeed in your design on the first trial. You will most likely have to modify your current design or start completely over and design a new apparatus.

Phase Three: Actual Drop

Eggs should be provided by the teacher at the drop site so there is no way that a student could modify an egg before the drop. The student should bring a small repair kit for their apparatus, i.e. tape, scissors, rubber gloves (if semi-solids were used), etc. Be fully prepared and bring all items to the drop site.

Designing Tips

What worked, what didn't

Heavily constructed objects did not work. Some used metal boxes to withstand the weight of the teacher, but the egg hit the metal on the initial drop and cracked. Normal packing materials do not work every time. Even though one would imagine bubble wrap protecting the egg, it does not seem to work every time. On some apparatuses it did, others it didn't. The overall outcome of the project was that most student's projects failed. There was about a 5% complete success rate. This was mainly due to a failure to test the project before the due date.

The lightest strongest materials worked. One student used popped popcorn to surround an egg and it withstood all three tests. Another used high impact foam used in computer shipment. They cut out the outline of an egg and it withstood all three trials. Similarly, another used the green foam used in flower arrangements. Peanut butter works very well in protecting the egg. It is a very good material to incorporate into the apparatus. The only downside of peanut butter is that it is very messy and requires the use of rubber gloves.

The apparatus which I built only withstood the first trial. The use of the peanut butter is what saved the egg. The second trial cracked the egg because it was thrown at too fast of a speed onto the concrete and the device was much too heavy and had little space inside of the can for the egg to shift.

Dos:

Use light and strong materials
Use simplified apparatuses
Test the device many times before the actual project due date
Bring a repair kit to the drop site
Ask if you can help with the drops for extra credit

Don'ts:

Don't overcomplicate the design
Don't use heavy materials if at all possible
Don't restrict your planning time till the last day of the project.

There you go that all you should need...

SinisterProbeGt
11-13-2003, 02:18 PM
:dunno: why it didnot work the first time

szw
11-13-2003, 03:02 PM
uhh he's only allowed tape and straws.

This site sounds pretty good. Just search in google there are tons of sites on this with different rules.
http://members.aol.com/ScienzFair/eggdrop.htm

Probably the most difficult egg drop is the one where you are not allowed to wrap the egg in protective bundles, and instead have to build some type of cage or frame work to protect the egg. Our best advice here is to remember that V-shapes are used extensively to spread in bridge building. If you're stuck with using sticks and straws or similar building devices to protect your egg, you may want to bend the straws into V or W shapes to spread the force of impact around and direct it away from the egg. Take a look at our Bridges links for some ideas on how to build strong bridges. Some of the ideas may carry over and help you design protective cages for the egg drop contest.

Kinda takes the fun out of it though.

RSeXy
11-13-2003, 04:07 PM
i did the egg drop contest back in elementary. mine didn't break, but i can't remember how i did it...doh!

rc2002
11-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Just make a cube with the straws, and use more straws to hold the egg in the middle of the cube. That way the cube structure takes all the impact.

Khyron
11-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Would making the surface area as big as possible help? I would imagine it would slow down the decent by quit a bit.

Khyron

Wildcat
11-13-2003, 05:34 PM
what if you miss? :dunno: do you get to do it again?

szw
11-13-2003, 05:38 PM
With just straws, I don't think you can slow it down any measurable amount.

Zephyr
11-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
what if you miss? :dunno: do you get to do it again?

naw if the egg breaks thats where i get my score, our scores are based on steps we drop the egg from the bottom and move two steps each time to a second floor. its around 8 drops i think to reach the top, more steps, more points

Wildcat
11-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

naw if the egg breaks thats where i get my score, our scores are based on steps we drop the egg from the bottom and move two steps each time to a second floor. its around 8 drops i think to reach the top, more steps, more points

thats dumb though, im saying, say you dont even hit your little straw and tape contraption and it expoldes on the sidewalk next to it.. does that mean your SOL or what?

gkAeris
11-13-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
so yea i have a project to make an egg drop structure out of unlimited amount of drinking straws that can only be attached by tape and at 45 and 90 degree angles. Anyone know a good site with different blue prints for a structure that can fall 1-2 stories and not break an egg that will be held inside the structure? has anyone done a simliar project, if so can you share what you did? the smaller the structure and lighter gives me more points. i need help i suck in physics !!!!

wow! egg drop! wasn't that required in elementary for science class??? the people in United States must be slow :rolleyes:

hehe
sorry Zephyr too long ago and don't think my brain works anymore, over used it:confused:

T5_X
11-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Just make a cube with the straws, and use more straws to hold the egg in the middle of the cube. That way the cube structure takes all the impact.

:werd: Crumple zones
:thumbsup:

Danger_Mouse
11-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

thats dumb though, im saying, say you dont even hit your little straw and tape contraption and it expoldes on the sidewalk next to it.. does that mean your SOL or what?

Umm... I think what Zephyr is trying to explain is that he needs to make a egg HOLDER, to drop wITH THE EGG, and ease the fall....

So he will construct a straw thing and drop it with the egg inside...

GET IT NOW? lol

Steve

SwitchBlade
11-14-2003, 03:37 AM
Damn this is making me hungry. Try putting the egg in a metal pan with a handle attach one end to the stove add some bacon and hashbrowns and ship it over to me ill give you a good grade.

Wildcat
11-14-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Danger_Mouse

Umm... I think what Zephyr is trying to explain is that he needs to make a egg HOLDER, to drop wITH THE EGG, and ease the fall....

So he will construct a straw thing and drop it with the egg inside...

GET IT NOW? lol

Steve

ahhh ic... it was hazy before, but now its crystal :D

Khyron
11-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by szw
With just straws, I don't think you can slow it down any measurable amount.

Make a small holder for the egg, and make a parachute/glider out of straws? I mean, drop a straw - it's light. And if he has to do it over and over, a 1 shot chamber that gets crushed won't do the trick.

OR make the frame of the glider/parachute out of straws, then make the actual sail part with tape?

Khyron

szw
11-15-2003, 12:12 AM
i got an idea but it may be 'bending the rules too much.

Get a big long piece of tape and twist it so its strong...make a holder for the egg and slide the long 'string' (the one you made with the tape) through one of the straws.

Now just secure the string somewhere on the ground far away or get someone to hold it and slide the sucker down. Like a ski-lift.

Points for originality!