PDA

View Full Version : Which Bike

Schwa
10-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Hello,

I'm a newb at bikes. Recently went out to the Canmore Nordic centre to go biking there and I really enjoyed it. We took the trail that goes to banff and that's kind of the level I'd like to stay at.

I am considering the following...

Norco Bigfoot
Norco Wolverine
Norco Katmandu
Norco Kokanee
Trek 3900

Any opinions what is best for me?
Any other bikes you folks would recommend?

I'd like to stay below $700. All of these bikes would be, as they are either used or on sale.

Thanks!

volodymyra1
10-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi
You can't answer this question in black and white terms. The best sport bike to start on is the one that you feel most comfortable on.

Say if you start on a bike too big that intimidates you-you aren't going to ride to your fullest, and the bike is going to be less forgiving.

So shop around, ask around at the dealerships- sit on every one you see, be annoying to the sales guys they don't have anything really important to do anyways.

J NRG
10-11-2009, 04:04 AM

Freeskier
10-11-2009, 08:47 AM
These questions are always difficult, like volo said, it's all about which you like the feel of best and which will match your riding style closest.
The sasquatch is a pretty core north shore styl hard tail. It won't be the best for long trail rides or climbing. It's pretty heavy and can take big hits and lots of abuse with good geometry for throwing it around.
The kokanee is the most trail oriented of the norcos you suggested so it'll be lighter with greater pedalling efficiency for climbing and stuff like that.
The wolverine and katmandu are the same bike, with different levels of components. Basically the difference in price is getting you better shifters, maybe better shocks, maybe better disk brakes (possibly going from mechanical to hydraulic, im not sure) etc, but the theyre essentially the same bike.
Hopefully that helps. I think the best way of buying a bike is figuring out what you need/want in terms of riding style. Then choosing a bike/price that you like, then go an check out different companies. All of them tend to build bikes in direct competition with each other, so everyone will have a trail bike in your price range, and most likely a beefier freeride hardtail as well. Norco is a good company, but you might end up liking the feel of another company just as much.
Good luck

scary_perry
10-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Without knowing more, I would throw all of them on a scale and pick the lightest one.

Personally I would pass on all of the bikes listed and get a used Stumpjumper for about that much - probably about 5 lbs lighter and would come with a very good fork. If you are under 180 lbs I would also skip disc brakes and go for the lighter weight of v-brakes.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4062110/

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/536921/

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/519521/

my guess is you could get any of those three for $100 less than asking price - use that money to buy accessories at MEC.