PDA

View Full Version : Metal bed frame + wood headboard

szw
10-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Anyone have a wooden headboard attached to a metal bed frame?

I was looking at the queen headboards at homedepot.ca and it says they attach to standard metal bed frames. If anyone has seen one, does the headboard actually feel very stable? I've never seen it but I just can't imagine that it would be that stable for some reason.

Anyone have some input?

Davetronz
10-05-2009, 10:53 AM
How "stable" do you want it to be?

I mean, it's going to stay on the frame, but if you're reefing on it, sitting on it, or using it for "leverage", then you might eventually have some issues.

For general looks and affixing the two to each other it will work. But don't expect to be able to move the bed with the headboard, or be overly rough with it.

szw
10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
You're right I should have specified how stable I meant.

Basically if I sit upright in the bed and lean back onto the headboard with a little bit of force, would the headboard flex or move backwards a little bit, or would it stay in place pretty well as if I were leaning back against a wall or a solid bed?

It just seems that it would be a bit shaky since the headboard is quite tall and it attaches to the metal bed frame at a pretty low point.

I'm just trying to picture it since I don't actually have a metal bed frame yet.

szw
10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Also...any other places to look for a cheapish but nice wooden headboard? Ikea only sells wall-mounted headboards.

Thanks

Davetronz
10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, since the frame is only connected to the headboard at a single bottom point (usually 2 screws on each rail), it will flex a bit when you lean back on it. It will be stable enough, but I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to sit in your bed on a laptop and lean against the headboard for extended periods of time.

I don't think you'll get away from that unless you get a complete wooden bed frame with integrated headboard.

Other places to try? I borrowed some of these names from another thread here:

The Brick
Leons
Sears
The Bay
United Furniture
Bondar's
Lazy Boy
Crossroads Furniture
Fair Deal Furniture
Amber's Furniture
Ashley Home

Some of them will be more expensive than others...

Masked Bandit
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Davetronz
Well, since the frame is only connected to the headboard at a single bottom point (usually 2 screws on each rail), it will flex a bit when you lean back on it. It will be stable enough, but I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to sit in your bed on a laptop and lean against the headboard for extended periods of time.

I don't think you'll get away from that unless you get a complete wooden bed frame with integrated headboard.

Other places to try? I borrowed some of these names from another thread here:

The Brick
Leons
Sears
The Bay
United Furniture
Bondar's
Lazy Boy
Crossroads Furniture
Fair Deal Furniture
Amber's Furniture
Ashley Home

Some of them will be more expensive than others...

Hey, that's my list! :D

I wouldn't try a headboard attached to a frame. Being that you are only looking for a queen bed places like Leons or The Brick will have lots to offer. I also suggest Crossroads. It's a big place, the sales guy was VERY helpful and friendly and their prices seemed better than the big chain outfits. It's just too bad they didn't have anything in a King we liked.

ExtraSlow
10-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by szw
Also...any other places to look for a cheapish but nice wooden headboard? Ikea only sells wall-mounted headboards.

Thanks

I would give those Ikea headboards another look. You can't get more stable than "wall mounted" and that eliminates your problem of having it attached to the frame a large distance from where you are "leaning" on it.

I used to be driven nuts by the flex of my bed frame, and eventually I decided that the problem wasn't in the quality, it was in the design. No matter what you make this thing out of, if you are putting force on it several feet away from the single attachment point, it's going to flex.

Wall mounted has solved all my problems, and looks great.
I've got this one:

Mandal With Storage - Frame (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80121338)
Mandal Wall Mounted Headboard (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50121274)

ExtraSlow
04-30-2010, 06:48 AM
OK team, old thread bump.

Time to move up from a queen to a king, and having trouble with the frame side of the equation.
Looking for a platform bed or any bed frame similar to the IKEA one above in King size. it appears that IKEA doesn't sell king sized frames, and my wife swears that none of the furniture stores sell that style.

Help a brother out, yo.

Also, looks like IKEA has reorganized thier site. The new link is: IKEA - Mandal with storage (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30176309)