PDA

View Full Version : Whats the fine for running a red light camera?

Boomph
10-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Hey guys,

I know I ha read this somewhere in another thread but I couldnt find it through the search menu. But I think I was caught running a red light the other night. I was wondering what the penalty is? and how long (in time) should it take the ticket to arrive?

thanks guys

Boomph
10-05-2009, 10:37 AM
nevermind, found it. its $279

is there a way to get it lowered?

G-ZUS
10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
No

beyond_ban
10-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I got one in the mail a few months ago and i brought it in and got it lowered to $179 i think it was.

GREENBOY
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know if a red light ticket includes not coming to a full stop before doing a right turn at a red light??? Might explain why I got one. I didn't know that was even an offence, if it is?

Boomph
10-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
I got one in the mail a few months ago and i brought it in and got it lowered to $179 i think it was.

thanks Beyond_ban. Im hoping it'll get reduced. I was going 75ish in a 80 zone, tried breaking but decided to go through it because I wasnt able to stop behind the crosswalk line at that speed. sigh...

beyond_ban
10-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Boomph

thanks Beyond_ban. Im hoping it'll get reduced. I was going 75ish in a 80 zone, tried breaking but decided to go through it because I wasnt able to stop behind the crosswalk line at that speed. sigh...

Ya, i got mine cause some asshole was tailgating me and i didnt want to get rear ended. Calgary drivers ftl.

n1zm0
10-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by GREENBOY
Does anyone know if a red light ticket includes not coming to a full stop before doing a right turn at a red light??? Might explain why I got one. I didn't know that was even an offence, if it is?

lol, where did you learn to drive? remember this page when you were 14?
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8213/lb657ec0d60fa8416581c36.jpg

*sigh* i wish our requirements for driving licenses were the same as Germany or Sweden

Xtrema
10-05-2009, 02:13 PM

:facepalm:

beyond_ban
10-05-2009, 02:14 PM

My point exactly... WOW :facepalm:

ragu
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM

how did you get that ticket if you were turning right? Do they actually have a video of it too? I thought it was just 2 pictures and they give you a ticket based on that, how would they know if you made a complete stop or not?

scat19
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
nevermind, found it. its $279

is there a way to get it lowered?

I had one in the mail not too long ago. It was 287.

Boomph
10-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by scat19

I had one in the mail not too long ago. It was 287.

I guess the rate went up since the Calgary Herald article was published. Im hoping I can go and plea guilty and have it lowered as Beyond_Ban had done.

GREENBOY
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

lol, where did you learn to drive? remember this page when you were 14?
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8213/lb657ec0d60fa8416581c36.jpg

*sigh* i wish our requirements for driving licenses were the same as Germany or Sweden

Ha. I learned to drive in the UK. When you come to Canada they hand you a licence without any guidance at all on any aspect of driving. You just get in and drive, so you just learn by watching other people....not the best way to learn, I know. I actually wish they had tests etc for newcomers. Would make life easier.

scat19
10-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Ha. I learned to drive in the UK. When you come to Canada they hand you a licence without any guidance at all on any aspect of driving. You just get in and drive, so you just learn by watching other people....not the best way to learn, I know. I actually wish they had tests etc for newcomers. Would make life easier.

Can't pull that one mate. There is material you can read online or pick up at a registry to familiarize yourself with Canadian law!

GREENBOY
10-05-2009, 03:26 PM
All I knew (until now) is you can do a turn on a red if there's no sign...no mention of coming to a total stop. Oh well.

dexlargo
10-05-2009, 04:14 PM

I guess the rate went up since the Calgary Herald article was published. Im hoping I can go and plea guilty and have it lowered as Beyond_Ban had done. If you plead guilty, they'll often let you plead to Failure to Obey a Traffic Control Device instead (S. 57 Use of Highways and Rules of the Road Regulation). Fine for that is $172.00.

GREENBOY
10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by ragu

how did you get that ticket if you were turning right? Do they actually have a video of it too? I thought it was just 2 pictures and they give you a ticket based on that, how would they know if you made a complete stop or not?

The ticket has your speed on both photos. The one approaching the light is 24 kmh and the one as I'm taking the corner a second later is 24kmh....I found that pretty weird as I was braking hard on the first one and a second later it says I'm doing the same speed? Weird.

dexlargo
10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
The ticket has your speed on both photos. The one approaching the light is 24 kmh and the one as I'm taking the corner a second later is 24kmh....I found that pretty weird as I was braking hard on the first one and a second later it says I'm doing the same speed? Weird. Your speed (on the red light camera tickets) is only measured once - at the time of the first picture.

It would be less confusing if they made this more clear somehow or didn't put a speed on the second photo at all. Anyway, my point is that the speed marked on the second photo isn't your speed at the time of the second photo, just a repetition of the speed marked on the first one. Does that make sense?

GREENBOY
10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Totally. I thought it didn't add up.

I guess I'll just pay it and move on with my life. Ha.

ragu
10-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Nope, take it to them and tell them you were making a right turn and got this ticket. Fight it for sure!

luxor
10-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ragu
Nope, take it to them and tell them you were making a right turn and got this ticket. Fight it for sure!

:werd:

That's such a bullshit ticket man, you don't have to come to a complete stop to turn when there aren't any cars near you. Make sure to say to the Judge or Crown that you treated the red light as a yield as opposed to a stop/yield combo to save time, improve your fuel economy, and reduce brake wear.

dexlargo
10-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by luxor
That's such a bullshit ticket man, you don't have to come to a complete stop to turn when there aren't any cars near you. Make sure to say to the Judge or Crown that you treated the red light as a yield as opposed to a stop/yield combo to save time, improve your fuel economy, and reduce brake wear. You are required to stop at a red light. Even if turning right, you must stop before proceeding with the turn. Saving time, fuel economy and reduced brake wear are not viable defences.

That said, it seems to me that if turning right at the light, it might be hard to prove from photos that you didn't stop prior to entering the intersection. The 24 km/h entry to the intersection is a bit problematic for this defence though.

ragu
10-05-2009, 11:55 PM
you should be able to fight it. Tell him you made complete stop but stepped on brakes somewhat late. When you go there you'll realize how many else are there just fighting tickets, makes you wonder what half the cops do all their shift.

GREENBOY
10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I'll give it a shot and fight it to see what happens. The brake lights are clearly visible in the first picture, which helps my cause a little and shows I was in the process of stopping. Generally I'm not in the habit of flying around corners through red lights and I do usually come to a full stop or slow roll doing a right on a red. It's worth a try to save 287 bucks!

jwslam
10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
That's such a bullshit ticket man, you don't have to come to a complete stop to turn when there aren't any cars near you.

that must explain why you don't have to follow the speed limit at 3am and you can go down deerfoot at 190km/h.

and it also explains why you don't have to signal when there aren't any cars near you when you change lanes. and by that i mean as long as they haven't hit you yet who cares! <<bitch!>>

goat_killer
10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I just got a ticket in the mail for the same thing. $287 down the drain sucks.

So i'm planning on pleading guilty. My ticket has a court date of December 22, does anyone know if can I go in before that date?

Tik-Tok
10-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by goat_killer
I just got a ticket in the mail for the same thing. $287 down the drain sucks.

So i'm planning on pleading guilty. My ticket has a court date of December 22, does anyone know if can I go in before that date?

If you aren't fighting it, you can pay it anytime you want, before the court date.

89s1
10-07-2009, 12:41 PM

:werd:

That's such a bullshit ticket man, you don't have to come to a complete stop to turn when there aren't any cars near you. Make sure to say to the Judge or Crown that you treated the red light as a yield as opposed to a stop/yield combo to save time, improve your fuel economy, and reduce brake wear.

Do me (and the rest of the world) a big favor. Never reproduce.

kthxbye

lilmira
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

kthxbye

Unless there is no one around, oh wait, you can't.

luxor
10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

that must explain why you don't have to follow the speed limit at 3am and you can go down deerfoot at 190km/h.

and it also explains why you don't have to signal when there aren't any cars near you when you change lanes. and by that i mean as long as they haven't hit you yet who cares! &lt;&lt;bitch!&gt;&gt;

Originally posted by 89s1

kthxbye

Originally posted by lilmira

Unless there is no one around, oh wait, you can't.

IMBECILES!

Yeah I was totally being serious in my post and red doesn't mean stop, no way. You guys are more mentally retarded than the guy asking if he has a chance to fight this. Good thing there are still handicapped people like you guys to keep social workers employed.

:rolleyes:

lilmira
10-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Hmm, red does mean stop even for turning right.

Check again.

Go read page 77 on the driver's handbook when you are not busy supporting single moms, might come in handy someday. ;)

luxor
10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Hmm, red does mean stop even for turning right.

Check again.

Go read page 77 on the driver's handbook when you are not busy supporting single moms, might come in handy someday. ;)

:banghead:

codetrap
10-07-2009, 01:29 PM

IMBECILES!

Yeah I was totally being serious in my post and red doesn't mean stop, no way. You guys are more mentally retarded than the guy asking if he has a chance to fight this. Good thing there are still handicapped people like you guys to keep social workers employed.

:rolleyes:

Generally, it's considered the authors fault when the audience doesn't understand sarcasm in the written medium. If that was your intent, then really, you have to remember that we don't share your frame of mind nor can we read your body language when you're writing something.

I don't think they're imbeciles. You didn't provide the emotional context, so they provided their own.